Does teh Falcon Chip really help the RROD problem...

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 black_awpN1
Member since 2004 • 7863 Posts

Im about to get a Falcon Chip Elite tomorrow and was wondering if the new chip really works. Does it really help RROD? I noticed that with the new chips, you go from 203 watts to 175 watts, which is a decrease of almost 30 watts which means it should run cooler. I have no idea when the new GPU chips or coming, so I wanted to get this. Does it really help?

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts
No it doesn't help, the CPU isn't the issue. Wait late summer, early fall for the 65nm GPU. That will be the most stable system I would hope.
Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

Also make sure it's Manufactured on or after 8/24/07.

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dream431ca
Member since 2003 • 10165 Posts

Im about to get a Falcon Chip Elite tomorrow and was wondering if the new chip really works. Does it really help RROD? I noticed that with the new chips, you go from 203 watts to 175 watts, which is a decrease of almost 30 watts which means it should run cooler. I have no idea when the new GPU chips or coming, so I wanted to get this. Does it really help?

black_awpN1

I doubt it will solve anything. 30 watts is alright, but if the system had a proper heat distribution system, then there wouldn't be any RROD's.

CommanderTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CommanderTy
Member since 2007 • 2285 Posts
I would also like to know because im thinking about buying me another 360 after selling my old one, I sold it because of the RRoD to be exact. Ohh i wanted a gameing PC so i used that to help pay for it but any news on if RRoD is fixed for good because I will go to best buy and get me another 360 if this is true.
Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
It certainly doesn't hurt, but it obviously isn't the solution they were looking for.
black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 black_awpN1
I honestly wanted a HDMI port to. I keep my 360 in a very open Area. (on top of a Shelless desk.) so I dont think ill have a porblem If I get the 175W one.
Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

Why use a Falcon Chip when you can just Falcon-PAWNCH the system? It works every time!

:P

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

I honestly wanted a HDMI port to. I keep my 360 in a very open Area. (on top of a Shelless desk.) so I dont think ill have a porblem If I get the 175W one. black_awpN1

I'll trying to give you a heads up. It doesn't matter. You can keep it in a cool, open air environment (even circulate the air) and elevate the thing to increase it's surface area and it will not garuntee your machine will last. You're giving way to much credit to a cooler running CPU.

One of my co-workers probably put it best, "would you put your hand on a stove if it was in a cool room with a fan blowing on it?"

Hell, I can only give you a warning so many times. Feel free to not heed them and assume the falcon chipset is more than it actually is...

cloudff7tm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cloudff7tm
Member since 2006 • 3975 Posts

Why use a Falcon Chip when you can just Falcon-PAWNCH the system? It works every time!

:P

Shad0ki11

:lol:

Oh man, that was a good one.

Ilived

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ilived
Member since 2007 • 5516 Posts

[QUOTE="black_awpN1"]I honestly wanted a HDMI port to. I keep my 360 in a very open Area. (on top of a Shelless desk.) so I dont think ill have a porblem If I get the 175W one. -RPGamer-

I'll trying to give you a heads up. It doesn't matter. You can keep it in a cool, open air environment (even circulate the air) and elevate the thing to increase it's surface area and it will not garuntee your machine will last. You're giving way to much credit to a cooler running CPU.

One of my co-workers probably put it best, "would you put your hand on a stove if it was in a cool room with a fan blowing on it?"

Hell, I can only give you a warning so many times. Feel free to not heed them and assume the falcon chipset is more than it actually is...

Why are you lying to people like that?

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dream431ca
[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

[QUOTE="black_awpN1"]I honestly wanted a HDMI port to. I keep my 360 in a very open Area. (on top of a Shelless desk.) so I dont think ill have a porblem If I get the 175W one. Ilived

He's not lying. It's happened to me too. I had the RROD and my console was out in the open. It was in the best possible place to run and it still had the RROD. It's just bad heat distribution. If MS knew it would get pretty hot, then build a heat system that could handle that kind of heat. They failed, miserably.

Avatar image for 3verlastingHero
3verlastingHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 3verlastingHero
Member since 2008 • 747 Posts
Solution: Get a PS3 :twisted:
Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shad0ki11
[QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

[QUOTE="black_awpN1"]I honestly wanted a HDMI port to. I keep my 360 in a very open Area. (on top of a Shelless desk.) so I dont think ill have a porblem If I get the 175W one. dream431ca

He's not lying. It's happened to me too. I had the RROD and my console was out in the open. It was in the best possible place to run and it still had the RROD. It's just bad heat distribution. If MS knew it would get pretty hot, then build a heat system that could handle that kind of heat. They failed, miserably.

You meant "cooling system", right?

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dream431ca
[QUOTE="dream431ca"][QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

[QUOTE="black_awpN1"]I honestly wanted a HDMI port to. I keep my 360 in a very open Area. (on top of a Shelless desk.) so I dont think ill have a porblem If I get the 175W one. Shad0ki11

Yeah, I meant a heat distribution system.

Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts
[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

[QUOTE="black_awpN1"]I honestly wanted a HDMI port to. I keep my 360 in a very open Area. (on top of a Shelless desk.) so I dont think ill have a porblem If I get the 175W one. Ilived

I do not thing that the Xbox360 technical issues are related to heat, a problem like that would be well know and not require a design of a new processor to fix. Also he is right, my 8800GT OC on stock cooling was at times running close to 90C and if I lowered the fan speed it would go even higher, giving it more ventalation would not help it.

dream431ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dream431ca
[QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

[QUOTE="black_awpN1"]I honestly wanted a HDMI port to. I keep my 360 in a very open Area. (on top of a Shelless desk.) so I dont think ill have a porblem If I get the 175W one. Nikalai_88

I do not thing that the Xbox360 technical issues are related to heat, a problem like that would be well know and not require a design of a new processor to fix. Also he is right, my 8800GT OC on stock cooling was at times running close to 90C and if I lowered the fan speed it would go even higher, giving it more ventalation would not help it.

But a bigger and better heatsink would.

CommanderTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CommanderTy
Member since 2007 • 2285 Posts
Solution: Get a Gaming PC and a PS3 :twisted:3verlastingHero
fixed
Avatar image for 3verlastingHero
3verlastingHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 3verlastingHero
Member since 2008 • 747 Posts
[QUOTE="3verlastingHero"]Solution: Get a Gaming PC and a PS3 :twisted:CommanderTy
fixed

Can't argue with that, as it's the best combo PC/PS3 FTW!
Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shad0ki11
[QUOTE="Shad0ki11"][QUOTE="dream431ca"][QUOTE="Ilived"][QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

[QUOTE="black_awpN1"]I honestly wanted a HDMI port to. I keep my 360 in a very open Area. (on top of a Shelless desk.) so I dont think ill have a porblem If I get the 175W one. dream431ca

Yeah, I meant a heat distribution system.

Meh, I was close enough. lol.

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 black_awpN1
I probaly wont be playing the 360 hours on end, so I may not get a OVerheating problem.
EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts

There is no fix to the RROD. You will not find a single reputable website saying it's fixed. Microsoft never claimed it was fixed. The only ones saying fixed are lemmings. The same lemmings who said fixed with elite, fixed with Halo, fixed with Falcon, etc.... Goto any user review site, goto amazon.com, plenty of people with falcon still getting the RROD.

The only thing Falcon did was lower Microsofts cost to produce the console.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts
Solution: Get a PS3 :twisted:3verlastingHero
I Agree
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

[QUOTE="3verlastingHero"]Solution: Get a PS3 :twisted:jdc6305
I Agree

PS3 breaks too.. Everyone I know with a 60gb ps3 has had to have it replaced.

EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 EmperorSupreme

[QUOTE="jdc6305"][QUOTE="3verlastingHero"]Solution: Get a PS3 :twisted:dotWithShoes

I Agree

There are no widespread issues with PS3. I'm guessing you don't have any friends. The defect rate was estimated to be .02%

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 black_awpN1
I fi dont keep my 360 on for Hours on end and I keep it in a wideopen enviorment, should I probaly not experince the RROD.
Fusible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Fusible
Member since 2005 • 2828 Posts

Solution: Get a PS3 :twisted:3verlastingHero
I will never fall to the dark side, never...

OH wait I already have a PS3. But I prefer my 360 by far.

EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 EmperorSupreme

I fi dont keep my 360 on for Hours on end and I keep it in a wideopen enviorment, should I probaly not experince the RROD.black_awpN1

Look at it like this if you want to take a chance get an X360, but do it knowing you are taking a huge chance. It's hard to feel sorry for anyone getting the RROD now knowing what we know. In a few months when your X360 dies nobody is going to feel sorry for you. Not even Xbox owners. Nothing is going to guarantee it keeps working. Sorry if that seems harsh. It's cool if you want one but know what you are getting into.

Hockey_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Hockey_Slayer
Member since 2004 • 3213 Posts
Did someone say Captain Falcon
elcoholic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 elcoholic
Member since 2005 • 1197 Posts

Nikalai_88

I also am not sure about the heat issue. Mine rrod last saturday after having it turned on for 5 minutes. I've spend hours in a row playing it without a (serious) problem and this time it suddenly broke after only 5 minutes. Couldn't have built up much heat in 5 minutes could it?

This makes me think its a structural issue. It can happen to anyone, anytime. no matter how good you take care of it with giving it air and all.

aemena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 aemena
Member since 2005 • 476 Posts

[QUOTE="black_awpN1"]I honestly wanted a HDMI port to. I keep my 360 in a very open Area. (on top of a Shelless desk.) so I dont think ill have a porblem If I get the 175W one. -RPGamer-

I think you are trying to help the guy so he won't suffer the same experiences that you probably did with your now dead X-box (I assume it for your signature) but if he wants to get the 360 NOW let him be, the RROD doesn't happen to EVERY 360 owner, I have a falcon and so far so good.

If you want my opinion, get your 360 now and if possible do it in Best Buy so you can get their replacement plan, so if in case your 360 RROD on you, you just go to the store and get a brand new one, no waits and no reburbished units, who knows maybe if you ever get the problem by that time there will be the flawless 360. That's what I did, the PS3 is not a solution for me because it doesn't have the games that I want the 360 does and that alone it's worth the risk of the RROD.

I am sure this guy is only trying to help but just because he suffered some horrible experiences (I am guessing here) it doesn't mean it will happen to you too!

elcoholic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 elcoholic
Member since 2005 • 1197 Posts
[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

[QUOTE="black_awpN1"]I honestly wanted a HDMI port to. I keep my 360 in a very open Area. (on top of a Shelless desk.) so I dont think ill have a porblem If I get the 175W one. aemena

I think you are trying to help the guy so he won't suffer the same experiences that you probably did with your now dead X-box (I assume it for your signature) but if he wants to get the 360 NOW let him be, the RROD doesn't happen to EVERY 360 owner, I have a falcon and so far so good.

If you want my opinion, get your 360 now and if possible do it in Best Buy so you can get their replacement plan, so if in case your 360 RROD on you, you just go to the store and get a brand new one, no waits and no reburbished units, who knows maybe if you ever get the problem by that time there will be the flawless 360. That's what I did, the PS3 is not a solution for me because it doesn't have the games that I want the 360 does and that alone it's worth the risk of the RROD.

I am sure this guy is only trying to help but just because he suffered some horrible experiences (I am guessing here) it doesn't mean it will happen to you too!

I wouldn't shell out extra $$ for the replacement plan. I don't know what it costs but MS has its repairing centers back on track from what I hear. Atleast in europe you're supposed to get your box back in like 8 working days.

If the plan is cheap then sure but if you only miss your box for a week or 2 it might not be worh spending extra $$ on.

aemena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 aemena
Member since 2005 • 476 Posts
[QUOTE="aemena"][QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

[QUOTE="black_awpN1"]I honestly wanted a HDMI port to. I keep my 360 in a very open Area. (on top of a Shelless desk.) so I dont think ill have a porblem If I get the 175W one. elcoholic

I wouldn't shell out extra $$ for the replacement plan. I don't know what it costs but MS has its repairing centers back on track from what I hear. Atleast in europe you're supposed to get your box back in like 8 working days.

If the plan is cheap then sure but if you only miss your box for a week or 2 it might not be worh spending extra $$ on.

Yeah I follow you, you have different options if your 360 gets the RROD, it's not the end of the world, MS will fix it for free and have it back in 8 business days, no worries, I just don't like waiting and if I can get a new machine in the deal, even better, but that's just my taste, alot people just keep the normal 3 year warranty from MS and it's all good, you will get your machine fix and will be able to play it in 8 days.

The replacement plan is $60 btw and it covers you for 2 years for any hardware issue, not only the RROD, so in my opinion it's not a bad deal!

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 black_awpN1
[QUOTE="elcoholic"][QUOTE="aemena"][QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

[QUOTE="black_awpN1"]I honestly wanted a HDMI port to. I keep my 360 in a very open Area. (on top of a Shelless desk.) so I dont think ill have a porblem If I get the 175W one. aemena

Yeah I follow you, you have different options if your 360 gets the RROD, it's not the end of the world, MS will fix it for free and have it back in 8 business days, no worries, I just don't like waiting and if I can get a new machine in the deal, even better, but that's just my taste, alot people just keep the normal 3 year warranty from MS and it's all good, you will get your machine fix and will be able to play it in 8 days.

The replacement plan is $60 btw and it covers you for 2 years for any hardware issue, not only the RROD, so in my opinion it's not a bad deal!

Actually, im getting it from a Game shop called Game Carzy (extension of Hollywood video) because I have like 200 bucks in store credit. Im not sure if they have a warranty or replacement plan for 360s though.

7thSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 7thSIN
Member since 2002 • 1386 Posts
Mine finally got the RROD yesterday after heavy hours in COD4: Veteran Singleplayer on "No fighting in the war room". The 360 had no signs of dying at all, I swear my anger from that level seeped into my 360 and killed it. I'm not all all worried or bent out of shape like most people on this board. It'll take about a month round trip and i'll just play my PS2 and my huge list of back logged games ive been meaning to finish.
Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

black_awpN1

NOt even MS has claimed that Falcom addresses the RROD. The RROD is widely believed to be caused by the 360's GPU overheating. The Falcon is a CPU and therefore has minimal, if any, impact on the GPUs heating problems. We know this is a fact since Falcon started being used early 2007 and RROD continues to be a major problem.

MS has stated that new, cooler GPU chipsets won't be implemented until August 2008 at the earliest.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts
[QUOTE="dotWithShoes"]

[QUOTE="jdc6305"][QUOTE="3verlastingHero"]Solution: Get a PS3 :twisted:EmperorSupreme

I Agree

There are no widespread issues with PS3. I'm guessing you don't have any friends. The defect rate was estimated to be .02%

I thought it was 3% defect rate.. but among the 4-5 ppl I know who have a ps3, its a 100% defect rate.

jangojay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jangojay
Member since 2007 • 4044 Posts

I probaly wont be playing the 360 hours on end, so I may not get a OVerheating problem. black_awpN1

I turned mine one after a week and a few days of no use.. RROD instantly and i keep it clean, it has special backup fans and is in AC... so...

Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

I don't think it matters if you get it from GameCrazy or GameStop, just aslong it's a new 360, you're covered. Just make sure it's Manufactured on or after 8/24/07. The newer the manufacture date, the better chances you'll have the falcon chips. There are Elites that were manufactured before that, and it suffered some problems.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts
Yes, it did help (it went from a 33% failure rate to a 16% one), but it didn't solve the problem. The problem is with the general design of the hardware, not the CPU itself, and the Falcon units only difference is the CPU and a new heatsink... to solve the problem they have to change a lot more things (mainly the GPU right now and the distribution of some components).
DXGreat1_HGL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 DXGreat1_HGL
Member since 2003 • 7543 Posts

Yes, it did help (it went from a 33% failure rate to a 16% one), but it didn't solve the problem. The problem is with the general design of the hardware, not the CPU itself, and the Falcon units only difference is the CPU and a new heatsink... to solve the problem they have to change a lot more things (mainly the GPU right now and the distribution of some components).SambaLele

Wow, still making up failure rate numbers.

Honostly, a day in System Wars without a made up RROD story thread is like a day with out sunshine...

xbox3604lyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 xbox3604lyf
Member since 2006 • 792 Posts

black_awpN1

Yeah just get it and if it breaks just fix it for free, no problemo

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#43 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

[QUOTE="SambaLele"]Yes, it did help (it went from a 33% failure rate to a 16% one), but it didn't solve the problem. The problem is with the general design of the hardware, not the CPU itself, and the Falcon units only difference is the CPU and a new heatsink... to solve the problem they have to change a lot more things (mainly the GPU right now and the distribution of some components).DXGreat1_HGL

Wow, still making up failure rate numbers.

Honostly, a day in System Wars without a made up RROD story thread is like a day with out sunshine...

Actually, he didn't make them up, he just misapplied them. The 33% figure is early store manager estimates, while the 16% is from a recent survey. However, neither make any correlation to the type of chip in the system as I recall.

Does Falcon help, probably a little as it does reduce overall heat. Is that little enough to matter, who knows, but even if it doesn't it is still a major issue.

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#44 lettuceman44
Member since 2005 • 7971 Posts
The Falcon chip is just a die shrink. All it does is run cooler, use less power and make MS lose less money. None of this has to do with RROD. All the lemmings claiming it does otherwise are just making stuff up. It is just a die shrink, the fabrication process has been cut down. That is it.
M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts
[QUOTE="-RPGamer-"]

He's not lying. My nephew bought his 360 in June 2007 and placed it in a centralized AC room, very well ventilated for a NEW 4 bedroom house. It's very cool during the summer at my brother's house. Come January of this year, my nephew got the dreaded RROD. The room is well ventilated with central heat, but NEVER gets too hot during the dead cold winter.

My nephew is a big Halo 3 fan (me as well) and he plays the 360 about 2-7 hours a week. Not that much playing time since he's in the after school sports program. But getting a RROD on a rarely played 360 is very disturbing.

plainoldsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 plainoldsam
Member since 2006 • 1038 Posts
I kept mine in open space, cool room, hard surface, etc etc. It still died within 9 months. Then I did one of those "fix up ur rrod'd 360" instructions (the one where you gotta replace the bolts inside) and its working flawlessly for around 15 months now. Now if only it were quieter..
NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
keep it in an open area and youll be fine
real45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 real45
Member since 2006 • 548 Posts
I honestly wanted a HDMI port to. I keep my 360 in a very open Area. (on top of a Shelless desk.) so I dont think ill have a porblem If I get the 175W one. black_awpN1
When the new ones come out will u buy a new one. I'll buy your old one from you for half what u bought it for.
Steakdinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Steakdinner
Member since 2004 • 478 Posts

you know what, its a crap shoot either way. I personally dont beleive in living my life afraid things will break, hency why i build and blow up just about anything i can get my hands on. To illistrate my point:

Manufacture date:9/3/2006, never had a problem with it, Never RROD, never scratched a disk or any of the other bullhonky people want you to beleive are 100% certanty.and its by far my most played system. By the way ,it even survived me moving to japan in my luggage.

the poorest venilated 360 in existance.

zepman71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 zepman71
Member since 2005 • 4120 Posts
Is the RROD not sort of like a lottery? I have heard of people keeping their 360s in a well open space and everything, but it still died...