Does Quality control even exist at Sega for Sonic at this Point?

trollhunter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By trollhunter2
Member since 2012 • 2054 Posts

By my surprise, I open up twitter and my feed is full of Sonic memes, I then stumble upon the Sonic the Hedgehog live action trailer......

Who the hell approved that design? He looks too humanoid wtf? Also what is with the speedforce electricity stuff? How can sega manage to screw up their main Mascot so many times, in a consistent manner? Compared it to the live action pokemon movie, its like night and day. Does Sega actually have their hands on this as well? The open credit says sega does, but I refuse to believe that

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

I would like this kids opinion on the sonic movie

Loading Video...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

"This point"?

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

They just tossed it to Paramount and gave some suggestions, but those were ignored. It's not all that uncommon of a scenario (see: Dragon Ball Evolution). They regret it now, of course, and Yuji Naka is also pretty pissed.

When it comes to the games, there's been a significant restructuring by merging CS2 (Sonic Team's branch) and CS3, and they shipped Izuka out to the SEGA of America offices in LA. After seeing the success with Mania, SEGA of Japan is rethinking their approach on how to handle the IP, because despite Sonic, SEGA as a whole has had the best 4 year run on metacritic out of anyone, including placing 2nd last year. You can already see some of the results of this, because Team Sonic Racing is looking excellent now after being pushed back six months. That, and they've started to advertise upcoming Sonic games with animated shorts, which have all received tremendous praise and views.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

So long story short, they do care now, since quality has been the number one priority since Haruki Satomi has become CEO, but the movie is a remnant from a former regime and traditional SEGA mismanagement. For what it's worth, I keep reading that kids are excited for it even if the 30 year olds aren't.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#6 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I must be the single person not bothered by the Sonic trailer, but no matter what the internet had their outrage ready to go. Jim Carrey being Jim Carrey is apparently even a legitimate complaint. And it's a live action sonic movie, it will always look weird. Shrug.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@Renegade_Fury: Too late doe.

Would have liked a working Sonic Boom game with dumb Knuckles.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Renegade_Fury

@Ant_17: The 2nd game on 3DS is supposed to be decent from what I've heard, but I never played any of the Boom games. I can personally vouch that the show is legitimately funny though, lol.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ant_17

@Renegade_Fury: Agreed, show is tons of fun. I might have to check the 3ds game if its true cause i might buy Sonic Forces just cause i want a 3d Sonic game.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1001 Posts

The better question should be is who was the audio engineer. Why use Ganstas Paradise for the trailer?

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Renegade_Fury

@Ant_17: Yeah, I think Fire & Ice is supposed to be innocuous according to people that I trust. If you haven't played Generations, I'd highly recommend getting it, or Colors, if you want to play a 3d Sonic. Forces isn't broken or anything like that, but it's very much a budget title.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ant_17

@Renegade_Fury: I have Generations. Has the best 06 levels and music.

trollhunter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By trollhunter2

My problem is, they made sonic way too humanoid. It could be a good movie, who knows, but when you fail to get the actual main character right(that has decades of material, to base its design on) then all hope vanishes. WB did it right with the pokemon movie. The pokemon actually look like their game/anime counterpart, just with added live action detail that is acceptable and belivable(fluffy fur for pikachu, scales for charizard etc) this movie? Why the hell give sonic an almost humanoid face, legs and arms? Also big fail for not putting his iconic gloves. They literally had one job, any hardcore sonic fan with decent photoshop skills would create a better live action version of sonic, that actually looks like sonic

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Renegade_Fury

@Ant_17: Yeah, Generations' Crisis City is great. Modern Planet Wisp is my favorite level though; I used to speedrun the hell out of it. The Unleashed Project mod is also a must if you have the steam version of Generations and enjoy the boost gameplay.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ant_17

@Renegade_Fury: I have the PS3 version. But i have a hacked PS3 so i can mod the game.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

Is discussing a live-action film based on a video game relevant to System Wars? The topic could have belonged in the Off-Topic Discussion forum.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

Have you seen their fanbase?

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

Of course it exists this is all an overreaction in my opinion any nm number of recenet sega games are very nice.

This would all be more appliable to the early 90s in my opinion, when sega was just getting started ina big way.

trollhunter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 trollhunter2

https://mobile.twitter.com/EdwardPun1/status/1123261756048953344

That's more like it, what could have been

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

LOL. Sega in the same sentence with the words quality control? That's odd.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

I must be one of the few or 2nd person to not be bothered by the trailer. It looks just like everything else like it.

He looks like a human Sonic, anything different and he'd look like an cartoon.

I'm surprised I haven't seen any "RTX On" memes with Sonic.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

they're redesigning him due to internet backlash.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@jcrame10 said:

they're redesigning him due to internet backlash.

yeah i just read this as well. Wonder how much better he can look with only a couple months to fix..

XenoNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By XenoNinja
Member since 2003 • 5380 Posts

Tbh why are they even making a live action Sonic movie, lol. The movie will no doubt be straight up trash.

Avatar image for superfluousreal
SuperfluousReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SuperfluousReal
Member since 2019 • 361 Posts

@XenoNinja said:

Tbh why are they even making a live action Sonic movie, lol. The movie will no doubt be straight up trashl

Money.

XenoNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 XenoNinja
Member since 2003 • 5380 Posts

@superfluousreal: i mean yeah, its all hollywood does these days. Money grab. But you would think they would at least make a game based movie about something more up to date or interesting. Like who even cares about Sonic these days? Lol

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@mojito1988: Sega's been on a roll lately pumping out good games.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

@vfighter said:

@mojito1988: Sega's been on a roll lately pumping out good games.

I was a big fan of Sega as a kid.

Phantasy Star 1-4 were epic.

Shining Force 1+2 were epic.

Skies of Arcadia was epic.

Power Stone was epic.

Panzer Dragoon Saga was epic.

Today's Sega? Nothing compared to those days.

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

They made his legs look like he's wearing freaking skinny jeans. EVERYONE knows what Sonic looks like, so why the hell did they feel the need to change it?

No thanks.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@phbz said:

I must be the single person not bothered by the Sonic trailer, but no matter what the internet had their outrage ready to go. Jim Carrey being Jim Carrey is apparently even a legitimate complaint. And it's a live action sonic movie, it will always look weird. Shrug.

You know what? **** "live action." Hollywood could have made a traditional animation for once, but as always they went with CG where it wasn't appropriate. I'm so sick of CG animation. I refuse to watch another one of these movies. I liked some of them, but Hollywood embittered me and made them completely unappealing by making nothing but for years and years. **** Sonic the Movie, **** Dreamworks and **** Disney.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#32 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

@ezekiel43: Yes, but it seems to me that most of the conversation is something like "hey that's not how I imagined Sonic, please make the Sonic I want". I'm more like, it's just a movie I'll probably watch on Netflix or Prime, or not at all. And that's it.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15919 Posts

I am more surprised at SONIC TEAM still exist after releasing multiple worst game of the generations. Just shows that making bad decisions is part of SEGA's DNA after all.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts
@ezekiel43 said:
@phbz said:

You know what? **** "live action." Hollywood could have made a traditional animation for once, but as always they went with CG where it wasn't appropriate. I'm so sick of CG animation. I refuse to watch another one of these movies. I liked some of them, but Hollywood embittered me and made them completely unappealing by making nothing but for years and years. **** Sonic the Movie, **** Dreamworks and **** Disney.

Nobody is going to watch cartoon movies.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

SONIC'S ARMS ARE NOT BLUE!

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@Gatygun said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@phbz said:

The Princess and the Frog made 270 million despite having kind of a lame premise, a story that IMDB users think is only deserving of a 7.1/10 and despite kids being slightly racist. So I am certain something more widely appealing like Frozen would have been very popular even as a traditional animation. We also still have hugely successful traditionally animated TV shows on TV, like Rick and Morty and Adventure Time. Disney barely gave traditional animation a chance in its last years.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts
@ezekiel43 said:
@Gatygun said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@phbz said:

The Princess and the Frog made 270 million despite having kind of a lame premise, a story that IMDB users think is only deserving of a 7.1/10 and despite kids being slightly racist. So I am certain something more widely appealing like Frozen would have been very popular even as a traditional animation. We also still have hugely successful traditionally animated TV shows on TV, like Rick and Morty and Adventure Time. Disney barely gave traditional animation a chance in its last years.

Guess where that movie was made for, kids. Do kids even know what sonic is at this day of age? Does that even work with little girls that watch most likely that princess movie. Or will 30 year olds all move into masses towards cinema to watch a sonic cartoon while they couldn't even bother playing there games for a second.

That cartoon will have no audience. They are better off ditching sonic and make a princess story about a female sonic instead of this cool rat that needs to go fast and is clearly catered towards guys.

The IP is dead. The only reason why they probably made it was for the fact that they see a income for game adaptations and with pikachu announcement they probably wanna lift on with the gravy train.

The only audience sonic has most likely are guys that are 30 years old that grew up with the dreamcast or whenever sonic was valid. Because it sure as hell aint relevent at this point in time anymore. With pokemon that's entirely different every kids knows about it. Also a reason they picked pokemon and not mario.

Honestly if you think about it, this movie is the best concept they could have pushed with jim in it. It's simple perfect for there audience.

If this movie is going to do well all depends on how much of a cult it's going to form around it. Sadly the odds are against them and the negative backslash on the god awful sonic looks also isn't helping other then making the adaptation feel like a joke.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#38 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@trollhunter2:

Sega had nothing to do with the movie. But besides that, I actually kinda liked that design. It was realistic and recognizable.

trollhunter2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 trollhunter2

@phbz: they can easily make sonic work in live actiob, without making him partly human(which sonic isnt, just no). Plenty of fan creations from real sonic fans on twitter. The higher ups were full of themselves as usual, and probably ignored criticism during production. I refuse to believe that it was just now they realize that they screwed up the design. Sonic is not part human, shouldnt resemble a human. Period

Did they believe that making him more humanoid would make him more relatable/acceptable???? I feel bad for sonic fans. Marvel made freaking rocket racoon work, without sacrificing the design. Why not just translate the game sonic design(preferably the early chubby/original version) and put to live action, kinda like what wb does with pokemon. Changing how the main character looks would just piss people off

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

Really really really REALLY a BIG OVERREACTION!!!

And also irony in my comment here...