Does MS have a strategy or are they just going with the flow?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45108 Posts

It seems to me that MS doesn't really have a specific direction anymore for their consoles. They announce the Xbox One X, but that clearly is geared towards a more targeted audience. Other than that, they announced backwards compatibility for Xbox games, which also has limited appeal. Heck, those games came out 15 years ago. New gamers aren't really going to buy a console to play old games. So that leads me to believe that MS currently has no strategy. Sony is riding the wave to victory. We'll probably see another price cut this holiday which will boost sales even more. Nintendo is bringing back all the craze with the Switch and retro console nostalgia, Where does this leave MS, SW? I ask you because this was once a popular forum for Xbox fans. Surely they're still here?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Their main goal is to take back America. Theyre close, XBX might do the trick.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

It seems to me that MS doesn't really have a specific direction anymore for their consoles. They announce the Xbox One X, but that clearly is geared towards a more targeted audience. Other than that, they announced backwards compatibility for Xbox games, which also has limited appeal. Heck, those games came out 15 years ago. New gamers aren't really going to buy a console to play old games. So that leads me to believe that MS currently has no strategy. Sony is riding the wave to victory. We'll probably see another price cut this holiday which will boost sales even more. Nintendo is bringing back all the craze with the Switch and retro console nostalgia, Where does this leave MS, SW? I ask you because this was once a popular forum for Xbox fans. Surely they're still here?

I know this is just another joke post, but how can you criticize MS to add "old games" on their BC list and they offer them free on a monthly basis but at the same time somehow praise Nintendo for selling more than 15 year old games packaged in a retro console. Lol. That part is funny but yeah the rest of this thread is pretty silly. Hopefully the next one will be a hit.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

Of course they have a strategy. What a silly question.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

Really depends on what they do with the next Xbox.

If it goes 2-3 years from now drop support with Xbox One and Xbox One S, move Xbox One X to weakest console, new console comes out completely backward and forward compatible. I'd say yes they do have a plan,

If they just drop that and release say "Xbox 2" and it's only BC and "Xbox One" family of consoles get dropped I'd say they have no clue what they are doing and are pretty much winging it.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@gago-gago: Are you saying that original Xbox games are on the same level as the SNES classics? Nintendo is offering 21 games, 2 controllers for $80. Meanwhile, Switch is coming out with all of these great exclusives. They will also be offering people free classic games for paying the online subscription, which is much cheaper than Xbox Live. Not sure how that equates in your eyes.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: You think bringing OG Xbox BC games, that garnered the biggest applause from the E3 audience for the entirety of the show has limited appeal?

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

Doubt it. Multi-billion dollar companies rarely have a plan

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Obviously they don't have any plan,for a company that size.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Obviously they don't have any plan,for a company that size.

obviously.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@gago-gago: Are you saying that original Xbox games are on the same level as the SNES classics? Nintendo is offering 21 games, 2 controllers for $80. Meanwhile, Switch is coming out with all of these great exclusives. They will also be offering people free classic games for paying the online subscription, which is much cheaper than Xbox Live. Not sure how that equates in your eyes.

Games are games, people will play what they like and it's up to the individual what makes a game a classic to them. You were asking why people would buy a new system to play old games, so why would anyone buy an $80 new console for old games then. Matter of fact these 21 games could probably played all free else where. I own a NES Classic Mini but haven't touched the toy, matter of fact, I sold the first one I bought and made big profits. I plan to do the same with this SNES Classic Mini, buy at least two and sell the other for maximum profits. There's a lot of suckers for nostalgia especially Nintendo nostalgia.

I have a Switch here too but only worthwhile game so far is Zelda & Splatoon 2 since Arms didn't have legs and the rest of the Switch library are meh so far. Only game I'm excited for that comes to mind is Odyssey. And I can't comment on Nintendo's subscription just yet because it's not out and tested. Will their free games be behind a paywall like PS+ or can you keep them like 360 GwG games. So in the end the Gold subscription still wins since you actually keep something when the sub expires.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#12 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2949 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Yeah but how does it work? Do you get access to a few games per month, a few games per month you can access forever, or just selection from a catalog of games? I tried googling it but only found vague information that there was some classic games service. Xbox Live you get 4 games per month and you can play them forever (assuming you went to the store and clicked "get" and are subscribed). I'm pretty sure they don't go away if you're subscription expires either, you just have to resubscribe.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

I'll refer to my standard GIF for nonsense threads like this:

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Microsoft will eventually give up. The Xbox division has been a complete failure and they have lost billions over the last 17 years.

They are trying to create an ecosystem but keep on failing because they don't have the games to back them up. They are not trying at all.

Forza is on the decline and only sells like 1-2 million copies anyway. People are getting burnt out on a new forza every single year. We need more breathing room. Not enough innovation. Forza 7 looks more of the same.

Halo 4 and 5 were hated and sales reflect that. No one liked ODST and MCC collection was bashed for having too many glitches. Halo is also on the decline in sales and ratings.

Gears peaked at 3. Judgement straight up sucked. I am currently around 75% Done Gears 4 but the game has been a complete chore. I was expecting so much more but it is just boring. Same old stuff. This series is dead.

Crackdown 3 looks horrible. Microsoft keeps messing this up. They claimed "the Cloud" would give us "fully destructible environments". We now know this is not possible. Not even with the X1X.

PinkAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PinkAnimal
Member since 2017 • 2380 Posts

Their strategy is to make lemmings forget that gaming is about games.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@Sam3231: Xbox Live is 3 times more expensive. You could buy those games with the money you saved if you wanted. Or spend it on a game you actually want to play.

@gago-gago: the SNES is a retro console and is marketed as so. The Xbox One X is a "4K console" marketed as bleeding edge tech.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Microsoft has hope.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

I'll just take a wild guess here that MS is going with the flow as far as this gen goes, I can see why they need to hype Xbox One X to all there worth due to lack of exclusive games this year and Crackdown 3 seems to be the only AAA game releasing this year and I hope to see Sea of Thieves making it this year but since that's been delay, Crackdown 3 is all they got so yeah, they gotta hype Xbox One X to all there worth and go with the flow. A Bold move I say but still, I'm interested to see how this all turns out at the end of this year.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Enough with the shit threads already, go play your PS4/Switch or something.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#20 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

Going with the flow is a strategy.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sam3231
@SolidGame_basic said:

@Sam3231: Xbox Live is 3 times more expensive. You could buy those games with the money you saved if you wanted. Or spend it on a game you actually want to play.

@gago-gago: the SNES is a retro console and is marketed as so. The Xbox One X is a "4K console" marketed as bleeding edge tech.

Oh alright man so I can buy the 48 games I get a year with $45 (that's what I spent for an XBL 1-year card last year) Right? Is that what you're saying? Just no dude. Besides you didn't answer my question, here let me quote myself

@Sam3231 said:

@SolidGame_basic: Yeah but how does it work? Do you get access to a few games per month, a few games per month you can access forever, or just selection from a catalog of games? I tried googling it but only found vague information that there was some classic games service.

I get it man. You probably don't know. Which makes me wonder what you're going on about to begin with. OH BUT ITS CHEEPER!!! Just stop.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

@i_p_daily said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Enough with the shit threads already, go play your PS4/Switch or something.

Yup...

Shook... :P

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

They dont care about any direction. They lost this war the moment they focused on motion controls with original X1. The fact that they supporting PC with once upon a time console exclusives day 1 proves this even more.

They bring X1X in the market so they make some profit here and there, definitly they know there wont be any turn around in the first place but who cares. Theyll grab/steal some money from fanboys like @cainetao11 and @kingtito, @kuu2 and @SecretPolice and theyll say thanx boys, bye bye. Cu next generation suckers. MS laughing for them already.

@metalslimenite Lesson 2 noob, take notice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

Twaddle

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SolidGame_basic

@Sam3231: Xbox Live is $60. Are you doubting the validity of the games that Nintendo is going to offer for the service? It's public information... http://kotaku.com/nintendo-details-switch-online-service-will-be-20-yea-1795743981

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sam3231

@SolidGame_basic: Yeah I saw that article after the fact. NES games to start. I mean I'm genuinely interested to see what they offer but until that time comes we have no idea. I certainly wouldn't trade Xbox GWG for NES games though that is certain. I mean they could offer the whole NES library and I wouldn't give a shit.

Xbox Live is $60 assuming you buy it through Microsoft. You can find 1-year subscription cards cheaper than that though online. I bought mine for $45 last year.

Commiesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Commiesdie
Member since 2006 • 372 Posts

@stuff238: I believe Sony lost more of ps3

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

I'm sure they have a strategy but it seems to be going in all directions without a focus.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

You really dont need a strategy when your console is in 3rd place every month in sales. Switch has got Microsoft shook

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#30 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

How is "going with the flow" NOT a strategy?