Does mouse/keyboard vs gamepad make crossplay unfair?

SBan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 SBan83
Member since 2019 • 119 Posts

I've been reading a lot about cross-platform play these days. As someone who plays on both PS4 and PC, I can't imagine how it's fair for gamepad users to face mouse/keyboard users in a shooter.

I think a few years back, MS tested it and Xbox players got absolutely massacred by mouse/keyboard players playing on PC? Can't remember which shooter it was.

Now I know Razer is launching a mouse/keyboard for Xbox but why even allow it in the first place? It's an unfair advantage you'll be forced to buy if you don't want to get shot in the head before you even turn around to take aim with your gamepad. Not to mention, a mouse/keyboard is not the most convenient of gadgets to hold in your lap when you're sitting on the couch playing.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts

@sban83 said:

I think a few years back, MS tested it and Xbox players got absolutely massacred by mouse/keyboard players playing on PC? Can't remember which shooter it was.

I think it was Shadowrun you are talking about.

They tried some things as far as leveling the field; they made the crosshairs more of a "zone" instead of a specific point, so anything in that zone was shot. I Think melee was a big part of it, too, which doesn't require much accuracy.

@sban83 said:

I've been reading a lot about cross-platform play these days. As someone who plays on both PS4 and PC, I can't imagine how it's fair for gamepad users to face mouse/keyboard users in a shooter.

Now I know Razer is launching a mouse/keyboard for Xbox but why even allow it in the first place? It's an unfair advantage you'll be forced to buy if you don't want to get shot in the head before you even turn around to take aim with your gamepad. Not to mention, a mouse/keyboard is not the most convenient of gadgets to hold in your lap when you're sitting on the couch playing.

Yeah I just got a PS4 and while I am enjoying it, I can't imagine playing a shooter on it. I tried the Anthem demo and it just felt wrong. That's probably because I spend 95% of my game time on PC, but I immediately downloaded it on PC after trying it on PS4 and it was 10x better.

I think M+KB should be allowed on console; mo' options = mo' better. And if it is allowed, then there's no excuse, if you want to get better and compete then you need to get a mouse and keyboard. If you're happy with a controller, perfect!

They could also make server options, like "crossplay OK" or "gamepad only" and so forth.

SBan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SBan83

@mrbojangles25 said:
@sban83 said:

I think it was Shadowrun you are talking about.

They tried some things as far as leveling the field; they made the crosshairs more of a "zone" instead of a specific point, so anything in that zone was shot. I Think melee was a big part of it, too, which doesn't require much accuracy.

@sban83 said:

Yeah I just got a PS4 and while I am enjoying it, I can't imagine playing a shooter on it. I tried the Anthem demo and it just felt wrong. That's probably because I spend 95% of my game time on PC, but I immediately downloaded it on PC after trying it on PS4 and it was 10x better.

I think M+KB should be allowed on console; mo' options = mo' better. And if it is allowed, then there's no excuse, if you want to get better and compete then you need to get a mouse and keyboard.

They could also make server options, like "crossplay OK" or "gamepad only" and so forth.

Yea, at first it felt awkward as heck but I'm kind of used to playing shooters with the gamepad now. Played Anthem on both platforms equally comfortably. But the sheer speed and accuracy of mouse/keyboard is indisputable.

Now where I disagree is more options = better. It's not an option. It's a necessity. Nobody plays to lose to an unfair advantage. And unless they start bundling mouse/keyboard with the PS4/Xbox they should not allow it to be used. I'd certainly hate to lay down money for what will no doubt be an expensive PS4/Xbox friendly mouse/keyboard and not to mention, forced to be hunched over on my couch with a clumsy mouse/keyboard on my coffee table when I'd rather sit back and play on the gamepad.

It's true they could have the server option of crossplay but that's just going to limit your options further as far as servers to play on, all at the cost of introducing a peripheral that should have been restricted to PC only.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
I think M+KB should be allowed on console; mo' options = mo' better. And if it is allowed, then there's no excuse, if you want to get better and compete then you need to get a mouse and keyboard.

Exactly this.

No, don't implement any server separation. It just shrinks communities and makes them not wanna play in empty servers. Besides, almost all of them would pick the controller only option, which would be super lame for everybody else. That's similar to how it is in Max Payne 3. Everybody plays in Soft Lock fucking auto aim. Segmenting communities sucks.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58398 Posts
@sban83 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@sban83 said:

@sban83 said:

I'm kind of used to playing shooters with the gamepad now. At first it felt awkward as heck but I'm past that now. I played Anthem on both platforms equally comfortably. But the sheer speed and accuracy of mouse/keyboard is indisputable. Now where I disagree is more options = better. It's not an option. It's a necessity. And unless they start bundling mouse/keyboard with the PS4/Xbox they should not allow it to be used. I'd certainly hate to be forced to be hunched over on my couch with a clumsy mouse/keyboard on my coffee table when I'd rather sit back and play on the gamepad.

Yeah, I have a Steam Link which allows me to use my PC in another room on my TV. It's a great device (they have unfortunately discontinued it, however), but using a mouse and keyboard is not the most comfortable thing. I would often sit on my floor with the M+KB on my coffee table, but then my legs go to sleep after a while haha. When I sit on the couch, I'm hunched over and then my back hurts :P

They make "lapboards" for it that look great--if I had a massive armchair where I could rest a plywood board across the arms, I'd be fine with that--but I'm not ready to take that leap haha.

SBan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SBan83

@mrbojangles25 said:
@sban83 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@sban83 said:

@sban83 said:

I'm kind of used to playing shooters with the gamepad now. At first it felt awkward as heck but I'm past that now. I played Anthem on both platforms equally comfortably. But the sheer speed and accuracy of mouse/keyboard is indisputable. Now where I disagree is more options = better. It's not an option. It's a necessity. And unless they start bundling mouse/keyboard with the PS4/Xbox they should not allow it to be used. I'd certainly hate to be forced to be hunched over on my couch with a clumsy mouse/keyboard on my coffee table when I'd rather sit back and play on the gamepad.

Yeah, I have a Steam Link which allows me to use my PC in another room on my TV. It's a great device (they have unfortunately discontinued it, however), but using a mouse and keyboard is not the most comfortable thing. I would often sit on my floor with the M+KB on my coffee table, but then my legs go to sleep after a while haha. When I sit on the couch, I'm hunched over and then my back hurts :P

They make "lapboards" for it that look great--if I had a massive armchair where I could rest a plywood board across the arms, I'd be fine with that--but I'm not ready to take that leap haha.

Lol I too have tried Steam on the TV (my PC is right next to the TV so I simply hooked up via HDMI) and bought a wireless mouse and keyboard. Yep, super awkward! Returned the m/k and got a Steam Controller really cheap on Ebay but eventually returned to sitting on the computer table and foregoing the couch.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

I spent hours setting up controller for Planetside 2, getting it just how I like it.

And then proceeded to just get wrecked for the next 4 hours.

In the end I switched to kb/m and did alot better.

Thing is controllers feel better, they feel more comfortable (to me) for shooters.

So if a shooter is going to be controller-centric, it can't have kb/m users.

Or some kind of auto-aim for controller users to make it more fair.

PS - Most Planetside 2 players I'm told still use a controller for flying/vehicles, but switch to kb/m for infantry.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59087 Posts

If it's COOP, who gives a shit.

Competitive? For sure. Obviously.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

Don't care. If it means I can play with someone who(m)(dunno) I couldn't play with before, it's all fine.

Not to mention I don't like getting competitive in games anymore.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@sban83: MS tested M/KB v controller on Battlefront 2 (not the new one) and yes controller players got massacred, they were testing crossplay at the time not necessarily comparing the control methods.

I've also seen some testing done by others as well with the same results, even top console players against mediocre PC players have had their asses handed to them.

I'm not sure what the answer is but I definitely think building an aim-bot (auto-aim) into the game for controllers is not it. Especially if it's anything like the CoD or Farcry auto-aim.

SBan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SBan83

@GarGx1 said:

@sban83: MS tested M/KB v controller on Battlefront 2 (not the new one) and yes controller players got massacred, they were testing crossplay at the time not necessarily comparing the control methods.

I've also seen some testing done by others as well with the same results, even top console players against mediocre PC players have had their asses handed to them.

I'm not sure what the answer is but I definitely think building an aim-bot (auto-aim) into the game for controllers is not it. Especially if it's anything like the CoD or Farcry auto-aim.

Ah so it was Battlefront 2. Thanks for clearing that up. As for auto-aim, that is something that could tip the advantage too much in the console/gamepad player's favour? I dunno. I've never liked auto-aim as it throws me off and makes me fell less involved as a player.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I don't know. But, I used a mouse/keyboard adapter with my PS3 to play and finish KZ2 and KZ3 using a wireless mouse and keyboard. I found both games enjoyable except for the Six Axis crap in KZ2.

If console games had universal mouse/keyboard support, I'd be playing on consoles a lot more.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56227 Posts

For those who don't know, KB/M is supported on Xbox One X, someone was playing Red Dead Redemption 2 using KB/M and it works perfectly.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44147 Posts

Yeah, that old tech is old and unfair to Pee Salty Seas.... . Last time I used KB/M for gaming I fell off mah dinosaur. lol :P

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GarGx1
@SecretPolice said:

Yeah, that old tech is old and unfair to Pee Salty Seas.... . Last time I used KB/M for gaming I fell off mah dinosaur. lol :P

Hmm...

First commercially available controller was released with the Magnavox Odyssey in 1972

First commercially available mouse was released with the Xerox Alto in 1973

I guess your dinosaur is older than mine :p

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SecretPolice

@GarGx1 said:
@SecretPolice said:

Hmm...

First commercially available controller was released with the Magnavox Odyssey in 1972

First commercially available mouse was released with the Xerox Alto in 1973

I guess your dinosaur is older than mine :p

I started home gaming on an Odyssey, I'll have you know. :P

Okay, okay, last time I used KB/M for gaming I was also using a buggy whip with mah horse and carriage. lol

Anyhooie, just having some SW giggles.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts

I would say it's fine unless it's a tournament or something.

I say mix it all up. Better to have active players than not.

I wish they would combine all the servers for Dark Souls......

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GarGx1

@SecretPolice: Yeah, I'm older than both of them as well, which makes me sad. :(

I know you're just having fun, I did get a girly giggle from your post :)

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SecretPolice

@GarGx1:

Yeah man, many, many moons ago I would sometimes tell my dad, oh c'mon dad, you can do this and he'd always say, oh you just wait son and now and for the last few years I've been feeling those aches and pains and overall started felling my age and damn it sucks. lol