Does Microsoft have a console answer for Playstation VR?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Having played the demo, and actually got to play on a full rig on with drive club (look at the youtube videos for it, it definitely puts a fresh coat of paint on that game and makes it amazing), makes me want a VR set for the xbox one. Vive and Rift are fighting over games and it splits the market and some support is disappearing. I'd like to play FH3 on a headset and not play the dog shit PC version.

What say you SW?

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

They had that hololens thing a few years back, but I don't know what's going on with that anymore. It looked pretty coo.

Maybe they'll team up with Occulus or Vive with the Scorpio or the Xboner 2

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

They already had their failed gimmick this gen with kinnect, doubt they'll jump on the vr gimmick bandwagon for a second huge failure.

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#4 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

They have a working deal with Occulus and at E3 they played Xbox games with a Vive on the stage. I really wouldnt be surprised if they just make it possible for existing VR headsets to be compatible with Scorpio. Much smarter move than developing their own.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Their answer is not to do anything. PSVR is gonna bomb.

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

I thought they had the Oculus on their side

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17458 Posts

Thought this was well known already

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34770 Posts

The PC version is dog shit?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#9 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@beardmad: Ign has done reports on HoloLens and it is an amazing piece of tech. But it doesn't seem to be gaming focused like these VRs are. Scorpio has been said to be supportive of VR so I think you're right on a future deal with a third party VR

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#10 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

Yes MS does, by not making one is their answer.

It's niche until proven otherwise.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

Yes Oculus....smart of them not to jump on this bandwagon with their own peripheral.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Daniel_Su123
Member since 2015 • 1103 Posts

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/06/microsoft-pushes-windows-10-holographic-as-the-one-stop-option-for-vr-and-ar/

They do have their answer. However OEMs will be doing the VR headsets while Microsoft focuses on Hololens. Which does AR and. VR

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Why would they need to?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

Hope not.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

MS ALREADY did there crap with the kinect

they charged consumers 100 dollars more for that thing THATS THERE THING THTS THEM THTS MICROSOFT

Kinect is there VR this gen its up to them to put games and get third party on board with the kinect.

Thats there VR the kinect don mattrick said its the future its the way to play stick with that microsoft.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

Microsoft went the Steam Machines route with VR for Scorpio which was a very smart decision. No manufacturing or costs on their end and no risk which falls completely to HTC and Occulus, if VR doesn't take off then it just doesn't take off and life goes on as normal for Scorpio.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

Yeah they are gonna support 3rd party VR and let 3rd party developers make shovel ware for it on their system and watch it all crash and burn. Then say "glad we didn't go all in on that"

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dynamitecop

@xxyetixx said:

Yeah they are gonna support 3rd party VR and let 3rd party developers make shovel ware for it on their system and watch it all crash and burn. Then say "glad we didn't go all in on that"

Yep, glad they're seeing the likely landscape for what it is. The funny thing though, they can't lose on this either way, they can either make nothing or make a ton if it takes off.

It's brilliant.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

@dynamitecop: I agree it's smart move. If and a big if, it's the next big thing and isn't ruining people's eye sight at an alarming rate. MS can put a first party studio on task to make something awesome and make even more money.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74

I agree with microsoft here. They are playing the long game.

If its big they help out vive and rift and copy it.

If it flops they laugh at sony and let vive and rift die and pay the price.

Microsoft is using a double sided coin here no matter where VR lands they win.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 N64DD

@dynamitecop said:
@xxyetixx said:

Yep, glad they're seeing the likely landscape for what it is. The funny thing though, they can't lose on this either way, they can either make nothing or make a ton if it takes off.

It's brilliant.

I know you have a Vive, have you tried the PS VR yet?

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dynamitecop

@n64dd said:
@dynamitecop said:
@xxyetixx said:

It's brilliant.

I tried it at Best Buy, I wasn't very impressed.

It's competent for what it is, but beyond that I think it's a half-assed entry into the fold.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 N64DD

@dynamitecop said:
@n64dd said:
@dynamitecop said:
@xxyetixx said:

It's brilliant.

It's competent for what it is, but beyond that I think it's a half-assed entry into the fold.

What were it's short comings in your opinion and which demo did you play?

Also you hear about that method they used to get around the limited space in a room for the vive by making you walk a certain way? Some university was researching it to make a holodeck from star trek.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50663 Posts

Why would they? They have combined (essentially) X1 and PC, and there is already VR on PC.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dynamitecop

@n64dd said:
@dynamitecop said:
@n64dd said:
@dynamitecop said:
@xxyetixx said:

It's brilliant.

Also you hear about that method they used to get around the limited space in a room for the vive by making you walk a certain way? Some university was researching it to make a holodeck from star trek.

While it was comfortable, the performance in terms of reprojection was painfully obvious to me to maintain a 'higher' framerate, it's a false sense of increased framerate, also the resolution of the panel didn't help. I'm sure the PlayStation 4 Pro will help or eliminate the reprojection issue but that's another $400 cost, to do PSVR properly you're looking at $900, that's fucking insanity.

I tried out Battlezone, Headmaster I believe and Eve: Valkyrie.

No, I didn't hear about that.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 N64DD

@dynamitecop said:
@n64dd said:
@dynamitecop said:
@n64dd said:
@dynamitecop said:

It's brilliant.

While it was comfortable, the performance in terms of reprojection was painfully obvious to me to maintain a 'higher' framerate, it's a false sense of increased framerate, also the resolution of the panel didn't help. I'm sure the PlayStation 4 Pro will help or eliminate the reprojection issue but that's another $400 cost, to do PSVR properly you're looking at $900, that's fucking insanity.

I will mess up the specifics so i'll put in the readers digest version, you can look it up for yourself later. Supposedly you'll end up walking in a circle around your room but the way the visuals on the headset will work will make you think you're walking straight and it won't physically feel like your not. So basically it'll trick your mind into thinking you're walking like a mile when you're just walking around your room in circles. I know I butchered the explanation but it's extremely interesting and would be breakthrough in VR.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dynamitecop
@n64dd said:
@dynamitecop said:
@n64dd said:
@dynamitecop said:
@n64dd said:

I will mess up the specifics so i'll put in the readers digest version, you can look it up for yourself later. Supposedly you'll end up walking in a circle around your room but the way the visuals on the headset will work will make you think you're walking straight and it won't physically feel like your not. So basically it'll trick your mind into thinking you're walking like a mile when you're just walking around your room in circles. I know I butchered the explanation but it's extremely interesting and would be breakthrough in VR.

That's pretty simple to understand honestly, sounds like an interesting concept to curb room restrictions.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22415 Posts

From my point of view, it doesn't really worry me that MS hasn't got a PSVR equivalent... would rather them focus all their energy and resources into making proper games first. Hopefully they just add Oculus/Vive support with Scorpio and call it a day.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 N64DD

@dynamitecop said:
@n64dd said:
@dynamitecop said:
@n64dd said:
@dynamitecop said:

That's pretty simple to understand honestly, sounds like an interesting concept to curb room restrictions.

Yeah, I just didn't want to explain it wrong, is why I put a warning in there that I might mess it up. It's pretty sweet though. It makes me more interested in the Vive.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@vfighter said:

They already had their failed gimmick this gen with kinnect, doubt they'll jump on the vr gimmick bandwagon for a second huge failure.

So VR is going to be a failure? Microsoft is smart. They are waiting and seeing what happens. Both Oculus and Vive hasn't done much. PSVR will probably sell more, but will it sell like the PS4 did. Probably not. Kinect failed because there was no content for it. Seemed Microsoft wanted it specifically for media control and not games. Once the media/TV hype bombed, so did Kinect. How do you launch a system around Kinect and only have 2-3 games at launch. Only 2-3 more games a year later. It was just dumb on Microsoft and Don Mattrick vision. At least with Scorpio then can now concentrate on quality high performance games.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts
@Juub1990 said:

This. It releases in just over a week and no one cares.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14824 Posts

I don't think they need one [exclusively for the console(s)]. If they do, they're going to play it smart and see how popular it may or may not become.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Everybody should give VR a chance.

I no longer consider games such as Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Amnesia and others like them to be horror after playing Emily wants to play on the HTC Vive.

For once a game was able to make me scream and crouch down on the floor and hold my hands against my face :)

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

Wait and see sounds wise and the right answer to me.

IMO I think it's going to be extremely niche and only entertaining and bearable for short sessions.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-60bf765068a74

Microsoft is a company who laughed at the iphone so I mean we can't really take anything they say with a grain of salt.

You laugh at iphone and it changed the world. This company doesn't know what there talking about half the time there like oh iphone what a piece of crap then every person has one wtf.

They've been wrong before they could be wrong and VR blows up and there leagues behind again on another item there hedging bets correctly there mocking things that blow an explode in there face it just needs to stop.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

$800 Vive + $500 scorpio for the win...

Kind of make the PS3 look like a gift from sony.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12067 Posts

VR...........LOL............LOL VR..................

I feel bad for anyone buying into this fad. How is that 3d thing working out? Kinect was awesome..........LOL. Can we please stop with the gimmicks?

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3065 Posts

They should. I found my time with PSVR to be amazing ! Can't wait till launch day!

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

Do they need one? PSVR has to first prove its even viable.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

PSVR is gonna flop.

a few loyal cows will buy it day one, but that will be it.

it's gonna bomb, hard.

magmadragoonx4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 magmadragoonx4
Member since 2015 • 697 Posts

VR has already been announced dead, Playstation VR will be Sony's kinect, it looks like things are about to get very off track.

badtaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 badtaker
Member since 2009 • 3806 Posts

PC version makes X1 version dogshit not the vice versa

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

@tormentos said:

$800 Vive + $500 scorpio for the win...

Kind of make the PS3 look like a gift from sony.

you do realise that by time the scorpio is released, the vive will have dropped prices considerable

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Nah they don't need one. Pretty sure PSVR will flop like many have said above me. If for some reason VR actually does take off this time. They can just work out a deal with Oculus. They seem to have a pretty good relationship with them.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

Isn't Scorpio suppose to be compatible with the Vive?

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

@magmadragoonx4 said:

VR has already been announced dead, Playstation VR will be Sony's kinect, it looks like things are about to get very off track.

When did Sony really support any peripherals? Move? PS eye? They didn't even really support the VITA, they just give up on stuff too easy. I think the Playstation VR will share the same fate as the rest of them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

Scorpio + Oculus

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I think they will release one just to show partners that their system is also capable of doing VR. But I don't think they will put all their chips in VR like Sony though.