Does it feel like 2000 all over again?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts

Nintendo's bombing, people boo and hiss when you say Xbox, and people are hyped about the new Playstation... Am I missing something here is the industry looking at another era of Sony dominance?

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Nah, i don't see SEGA going all out with a nuclear explosion of bat shit crazy creativity.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
Far_RockNYC wasnt alive back then and RR360DD was still in diapers in 2000.
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
Xbox was well received when it was announced, at least in the West. Also, I don't think the PS4 is going to reach PS2 status of market dominance.
Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Nintendo's bombing, people boo and hiss when you say Xbox, and people are hyped about the new Playstation... Am I missing something here is the industry looking at another era of Sony dominance?

istuffedsunny
Indeed, The universe is back to normal with Playstation as the king of gaming. XbawxONE will go after the casual market but will probably fail. And Nintendo will go after the lonely neckbear 30+ year olds that still want to be a child.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Nah, i don't see SEGA going all out with a nuclear explosion of bat shit crazy creativity.

Lucianu
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lucianu

I don't think the PS4 is going to reach PS2 status of market dominance.tagyhag

No console on Earth will ever reach the pinnacle the PS2 reached.

legalize82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 legalize82
Member since 2013 • 2293 Posts
ps2 episode 2 incoming
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

No!The PS4 won't be the PS2 for the last time. Both the xbox one and the ps4 will  sell well. The WiiU's place in the gaming market is currently unknown.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Suppaman100
[QUOTE="tagyhag"]..Xbox was well received when it was announced, at least in the West... .

:lol: :lol: :lol: WELL RECEIVED??????????????????!! Are you kidding, it was destroyed by the internet and the press. Xbone is probably the worst received console ever.
Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
ps2 episode 2 incoming legalize82
IDK wats people's obsession with the PS2. It was an ok console with alot of good games, but most of those games arent even worth replaying now.
Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#12 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

No...

First of all, Nintendo wasn't coming off of a raging commercial success with the N64 like they did with the Wii. I don't think the PS3 was nearly as financially successful as the PS1. Xbox was new. And then there's the Dreamcast.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Demonjoe93

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]..Xbox was well received when it was announced, at least in the West... .Suppaman100
:lol: :lol: :lol: WELL RECEIVED??????????????????!! Are you kidding, it was destroyed by the internet and the press. Xbone is probably the worst received console ever.

I think he meant the original Xbox.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tagyhag

Lucianu
I don't know about that, we never know what the future holds. :P I just find it unlikely that the PS4 will. 

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]..Xbox was well received when it was announced, at least in the West... .Suppaman100

Xbox not Xbox One.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]I don't think the PS4 is going to reach PS2 status of market dominance.Lucianu

I dunno, if Microsoft actually released with and kept their original DRM policies I can definitely see the PS4 being able to surpass the PS2.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Suppaman100

[QUOTE="Lucianu"] I don't know about that, we never know what the future holds. :P I just find it unlikely that the PS4 will. 

[QUOTE="Suppaman100"][QUOTE="tagyhag"]..Xbox was well received when it was announced, at least in the West... .tagyhag

Xbox not Xbox One.

Don't be mad at me, be mad at microsoft for choosing such a ridiculous name. It's confusing.
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
Far_RockNYC wasnt alive back then and RR360DD was still in diapers in 2000.Nengo_Flow
Another thread, another butthurt nengo post. Whats new :cool:
muffin200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 muffin200
Member since 2007 • 733 Posts

[QUOTE="Suppaman100"][QUOTE="tagyhag"]..Xbox was well received when it was announced, at least in the West... .Demonjoe93

I think he meant the original Xbox.

Damm and Damm .

That could have ended up being the best SW quote ever.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Yes PS4 is gonna dominate like PS2 did.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lucianu

[QUOTE="legalize82"]ps2 episode 2 incoming Nengo_Flow
IDK wats people's obsession with the PS2. It was an ok console with alot of good games, but most of those games arent even worth replaying now.

Its library is absolutely massive and the quantity of its quality games dwarf every single console ever created. I could name you over a hundred games worth playing if i wasn't lazy. Though a quick 5$ pay would alleviate the situation of my lazyness, if you're interested.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]

[QUOTE="Lucianu"] :lol: :lol: :lol: WELL RECEIVED??????????????????!! Are you kidding, it was destroyed by the internet and the press. Xbone is probably the worst received console ever.Suppaman100

Xbox not Xbox One.

Don't be mad at me, be mad at microsoft for choosing such a ridiculous name. It's confusing.

Confusing?...when their original post is talking about the PS2...

You're just stupid. 

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tagyhag

[QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"][QUOTE="legalize82"]ps2 episode 2 incoming Lucianu

Its library is absolutely massive and the quantity of its quality games dwarf every single console ever created. I could name you over a hundred games worth playing if i wasn't lazy. Though a quick 5$ pay would alleviate the situation of my lazyness, if you're interested.

Gotta be honest, if you don't like JRPG's a BIG chunk of those quality games is deleted.
Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Suppaman100

[QUOTE="Suppaman100"][QUOTE="tagyhag"]

Xbox not Xbox One.

HavocV3

Confusing?...when their original post is talking about the PS2...

You're just stupid. 

Strong ad hominem response neckbeard. Did I make you cry lemming?
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

[QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"] IDK wats people's obsession with the PS2. It was an ok console with alot of good games, but most of those games arent even worth replaying now.tagyhag

Gotta be honest, if you don't like JRPG's a BIG chunk of those quality games is deleted.

That, and the ugliest multiplats. PS2 is my biggest dust collector of all time, but I feel strongly that ps4 is going to be a great console.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

[QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"][QUOTE="legalize82"]ps2 episode 2 incoming Lucianu

And I bet half are multipats or have HD re-releases.
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lucianu

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

[QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"] IDK wats people's obsession with the PS2. It was an ok console with alot of good games, but most of those games arent even worth replaying now.tagyhag

I've always questioned that. The only JRPGs i trully think greatly of are Persona 4 and Dragon Quest VIII. The PS1 was, still is, and probably will always be a much better system for JRPGs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5ba16896d1cc2
Member since 2013 • 2504 Posts

Far_RockNYC wasnt alive back then and RR360DD was still in diapers in 2000.Nengo_Flow

LMFAO :lol::lol:

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lucianu

[QUOTE="tagyhag"][QUOTE="Lucianu"]

Renegade_Fury

That, and the ugliest multiplats. PS2 is my biggest dust collector of all time, but I feel strongly that ps4 is going to be a great console.

I agree that it's the worst system to get for multiplats, but i was thinking of its exclusive games.. hell, i might make a list of my favorites if you push me. Got one cig left and a little coffee left in my cup.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lucianu

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

[QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"] IDK wats people's obsession with the PS2. It was an ok console with alot of good games, but most of those games arent even worth replaying now.Jakandsigz

And I bet half are multipats or have HD re-releases.

I don't care about HD re-releases, i don't have a PS3.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts
I was 10 back then. Had no clue what was going on.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Renegade_Fury

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

[QUOTE="tagyhag"] Gotta be honest, if you don't like JRPG's a BIG chunk of those quality games is deleted.Lucianu

I agree that it's the worst system to get for multiplats, but i was thinking of its exclusive games.. hell, i might make a list of my favorites if you push me. Got one cig left and a little coffee left in my cup.

Well if you want to, by all means do so. Maybe, just maybe, you could convince me that my ps2 deserves to be ranked over my intellivison for second to last place. :)

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lucianu

Well if you want to, by all means do so. Maybe, just maybe, you could convince me that my ps2 deserves to be ranked over my intellivison for second to last place. :)

Renegade_Fury

Here's 20 that i can think of right now, worth playing on the PS2, regardless of 'HD' collections (because if we wanna talk about HD, people gotta behold the power of PS2 emulation on the PC)

Klonoa 2: Lunateas Veil
Zone of the Enders
Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner
God Hand
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Gran Turismo 4
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3
Tekken 5
God of War II
Devil May Cry 1 & 3
Yakuza I & II
Gitaroo Man
Gradius V
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Sly 2: Band of Thieves
Ape Escape 2 & 3
DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou
Mark of Kri

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Renegade_Fury

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

Lucianu

Here's 20 that i can think of right now, worth playing on the PS2, regardless of 'HD' collections (because if we wanna talk about HD, people gotta behold the power of PS2 emulation on the PC)

Zone of the Enders
God Hand
Gran Turismo 4
Tekken 5
God of War II
Devil May Cry 1 & 3
Yakuza I & II
Gitaroo Man
Gradius V
Ape Escape 2 & 3
DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou
Mark of Kri

Sorry, man, but I was hoping to see something I hadn't seen before. :(

Out of those, I like Klonoa 2 and Gradius V, but that's it. Those games along with Mega Man X8, Thunder Force VI, and the NiGHTS remake just aren't enough to convince me from believing that the ps2 is the most overrated console of all time.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#34 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

Very true. PS2 had a huge library, but it missed many fantastic western games from it's era (Morrowind, Half Life 2, KOTOR, Doom 3, etc). Playstation 1, on the other hand, was amazing in that aspect.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Suppaman100

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

Renegade_Fury

Zone of the Enders
God Hand
Gran Turismo 4
Tekken 5
God of War II
Devil May Cry 1 & 3
Yakuza I & II
Gitaroo Man
Gradius V
Ape Escape 2 & 3
DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou
Mark of Kri

Out of those, I like Klonoa 2 and Gradius V, but that's it. Those games along with Mega Man X8, Thunder Force VI, and the NiGHTS remake just aren't enough to convince me from believing that the ps2 is the most overrated console of all time.

So what's your "best" console of all time then? And :lol: at calling PS2 overrated with sonic as your avatar. Sonic is has been dead for a long time, sucks that sega is still dishonoring him with bad games.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

It does seem to me the next gen could be the repeat of gen 6, as in that PS4 will be the "go to" console for gamers and the X1 and WiiU will get less success.

imo, the last gen (i.e. X360, PS3, Wii) was the first time when no console competitiors actually fell out or were left in the dust.

It's questionable if the market will again allow for three console systems to be as successful as in the previous gen.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Demonjoe93

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

Zone of the Enders
God Hand
Gran Turismo 4
Tekken 5
God of War II
Devil May Cry 1 & 3
Yakuza I & II
Gitaroo Man
Gradius V
Ape Escape 2 & 3
DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou
Mark of Kri

Suppaman100

So what's your "best" console of all time then? And :lol: at calling PS2 overrated with sonic as your avatar. Sonic is has been dead for a long time, sucks that sega is still dishonoring him with bad games.

Sonic Generations and Sonic Colours were well praised (both scoring AA here), and Sonic Lost World is looking to be good.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Renegade_Fury

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

Zone of the Enders
God Hand
Gran Turismo 4
Tekken 5
God of War II
Devil May Cry 1 & 3
Yakuza I & II
Gitaroo Man
Gradius V
Ape Escape 2 & 3
DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou
Mark of Kri

Suppaman100

Well my favorite is obviously the Genesis. It has the most games I like such as Streets of Rage 1-3, Sonic 1-3 & Knuckles, Gunstar Heroes, Contra Hard Corps, Thunder Force III-IV, MUSHA, Herzog Zwei, Ristar, Ranger X, Crusader of Centy, Mega Turrican, Shinobi I-III-Shadow Dancer, Rocket Knight Adventures, Sparkster, Alien Soldier, Beyond Oasis, Alsia Dragoon,  etc. Plus with all the multiplats like Maximum Carnage and Robocop vs. Terminator, and the excellent SEGA CD games such as Robo Aleste, Android Assault, and so on, there's well over 100 games I like for it.

My problem with the ps2 is that by owning a PC, Xbox, Dreamcast, GameCube, and GBA, I don't see what's so special about it. If you only had a ps2, it was probably great, but with more powerful options and better exclusives available on the other platforms, ps2 was useless to me. That said, ps4 is looking great, so it'll probably be my main console for gen 8.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Suppaman100

[QUOTE="Suppaman100"][QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

Demonjoe93

Sonic Generations and Sonic Colours were well praised (both scoring AA here), and Sonic Lost World is looking to be good.

Mediocre games imo. Sega should leave Sonic alone, his best time is long gone.
Kaz_Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Kaz_Son
Member since 2013 • 1389 Posts

Yes PS4 is gonna dominate like PS2 did.

NathanDrakeSwag
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

The difference is that all the super casuals have tablets, and smartphones to play games on now and don't have to buy a console to play games. That, and the PS4 won't sell 30-40 million units soley for having bluray playback.

I don't forsee a generation quite like the PS2 generation again.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Suppaman100

Renegade_Fury

Well my favorite is obviously the Genesis. It has the most games I like such as Streets of Rage 1-3, Sonic 1-3 & Knuckles, Gunstar Heroes, Contra Hard Corps, Thunder Force III-IV, MUSHA, Herzog Zwei, Ristar, Ranger X, Crusader of Centy, Mega Turrican, Shinobi I-III-Shadow Dancer, Rocket Knight Adventures, Sparkster, Alien Soldier, Beyond Oasis, Alsia Dragoon,  etc. Plus with all the multiplats like Maximum Carnage and Robocop vs. Terminator, and the excellent SEGA CD games such as Robo Aleste, Android Assault, and so on, there's well over 100 games I like for it.

My problem with the ps2 is that by owning a PC, Xbox, Dreamcast, GameCube, and GBA, I don't see what's so special about it. If you only had a ps2, it was probably great, but with more powerful options and better exclusives available on the other platforms, ps2 was useless to me. That said, ps4 is looking great, so it'll probably be my main console for gen 8.

Yeah, genesis was a VERY good console. But compared to PS2 (and PS1) it was mediocre at best. And if you just look at the facts, games and sales, you can only have one conclusion, PS2 was the best console.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Renegade_Fury

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

[QUOTE="Suppaman100"] So what's your "best" console of all time then? And :lol: at calling PS2 overrated with sonic as your avatar. Sonic is has been dead for a long time, sucks that sega is still dishonoring him with bad games.Suppaman100

Yeah, genesis was a VERY good console. But compared to PS2 (and PS1) it was mediocre at best. And if you just look at the facts, games and sales, you can only have one conclusion, PS2 was the best console.

Mediocre compared to the ps1 and ps2? lol, no. I do like the ps1 somewhat though; it's much better than ps2. The games offered on each are suited for completely different tastes, and if you take age into factor, the Genesis' library is noticeably superior in 2013. I would also never use sales as proof, especially when we have the wii as a prime example. ;)

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Demonjoe93

Renegade_Fury

Mediocre compared to the ps1 and ps2? lol, no. I do like the ps1 somewhat though; it's much better than ps2. The games offered on each are suited for completely different tastes, and if you take age into factor, the Genesis' library is noticeably superior in 2013. I would also never use sales as proof, especially when we have the wii as a prime example. ;)

Yeah, the Wii definitely had some amazing games, but I wouldn't call it one of the better systems of all time, and definitely not one of Nintendo's better ones either.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

The difference is that all the super casuals have tablets, and smartphones to play games on now and don't have to buy a console to play games. That, and the PS4 won't sell 30-40 million units soley for having bluray playback.

I don't forsee a generation quite like the PS2 generation again.

Ly_the_Fairy

But what about a "tablet console" ?

Oh wait... :P

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

It does seem to me the next gen could be the repeat of gen 6, as in that PS4 will be the "go to" console for gamers and the X1 and WiiU will get less success.

imo, the last gen (i.e. X360, PS3, Wii) was the first time when no console competitiors actually fell out or were left in the dust.

It's questionable if the market will again allow for three console systems to be as successful as in the previous gen.

nameless12345

None of the consoles feel like the PS2. The Xbox one and PS4 will most likely be tied in sales at the end of the gen and I do not know what will happpen to the WiiU yet.