Does everyone now agree Gabe Newell cares only about money?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NielsNL
Member since 2005 • 4346 Posts

It's fair to say that the purpose of a company is to make money. Valve is no different. However as most here will know Gabe Newell doesn't want to be developing games for the PS3. He often gets called lazy for that in this forum. People who like to defend him do so by stating he's not lazy but it's normal for a company to want to maximize profit. However the word milking is often used too in this forum. And that is the word that keeps springing to mind whenever I see anything or read about L4D2. Don't get me wrong, Valve is a great dev, the Orange Box was a fantastic deal, Portal was genius,HL2 a great game and L4D probably the most fun shooter I ever played online, but asking full price for L4D2? Right, that's just robbing the gamer. I mean, I realize times are rough with the financial crisis and all, but robbing your customers is not a very nice way to get through it. As for Gabe not liking the PS3, well the L4D business decision is telling me that his dislike most likely also come forth from greediness. The PS3 is more expensive to develop for, so if Gabe can't become even richer than he already is, easily,it's not interesting to him. I don't like that attitude. The devs that I do repect are the ones that actually care more for the games they produce than the money they make them (or at least care just as much about both). Valve's L4D2 not being an expansion, but full price plus the lazy/greedy PS3 decisions over the last few years has made me lose a lot of the respect I had for them.

/rant

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts

Valve is a company, so of course he cares about money. At least the man actually takes the time out of his schedule to personally answer mail written by the fans...

In regards to the PS3. Valve doesn't develop for the platform as doing so would require a lot of time, money and resources and can therefore, not justify the development of their games on the PS3, as it is unlikely to make much money, compared to the PC and Xbox 360 versions. They are interested in giving their PS3 fans something however, as members of Valve have stated that they don't like the way they've been treating the PS3, and I believe they're interested in hiring staff for PS3 development.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts

Valve is a company, so of course he cares about money. At least the man actually takes the time out of his schedule to personally answer mail written by the fans...

Doom_HellKnight
Tru' Dat, they care about money, but he cares about the fans more than other devs.
enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
Oh, Jesus people let it go! If you love Valve so much you would stop whining and help profit their games, like Left 4 Dead 2. Maybe Valve is in financial trouble and need the money? There is no devoloper that cares about the games over the money, not one. Get that through your heads! Gabe Newell is a fantastic and talented man, but he wants money. Everyone does.
NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NielsNL

In regards to the PS3. Valve doesn't develop for the platform as doing so would require a lot of time, money and resources and can therefore, not justify the development of their games on the PS3, as it is unlikely to make much money, compared to the PC and Xbox 360 versions. They are interested in giving their PS3 fans something however, as members of Valve have stated that they don't like the way they've been treating the PS3, and I believe they're interested in hiring staff for PS3 development.

Doom_HellKnight

So how would you explain pretty much every other third party developing for both the 360 and PS3 nowadays? They don't care they they can't make money on the PS3?

NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NielsNL

[QUOTE="Doom_HellKnight"]

X360PS3AMD05

Tru' Dat, they care about money, but he cares about the fans more than other devs.

Then why is he robbing the fans by asking full price for a map pack like L4D2? (okay there's also some melee weapons and three new boss monsters, but IT'S NO FULL GAME!)

chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts

Who does not want to make money.

NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NielsNL

Oh, Jesus people let it go! If you love Valve so much you would stop whining and help profit their games, like Left 4 Dead 2. Maybe Valve is in financial trouble and need the money? There is no devoloper that cares about the games over the money, not one. Get that through your heads! Gabe Newell is a fantastic and talented man, but he wants money. Everyone does.enterawesome

Kojima, some of Sony's first party studio's (the one behind SOTC for instance) make cult games, which aren't reallymaking money at a fast rate, From software (Demon's Soul) seems to take risk with game concepts, pretty much every studio that makes a game that is not mainstream is taking financial risks in favour of artistic decisions. Many companies do that.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Then don't buy it, or wait until it's cheaper :? It's probably stuff that didn't make it into L4D1 and they want to charge $60 for it.
shalashaska88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shalashaska88
Member since 2005 • 3198 Posts
As long as Valve keep giving us great games, I'll give them money.
enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 enterawesome
[QUOTE="NielsNL"]

[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"][QUOTE="Doom_HellKnight"]

Then why is he robbing the fans by asking full price for a map pack like L4D2? (okay there's also some melee weapons and three new boss monsters, but IT'S NO FULL GAME!)

Yes it is. Its more than what was in Left 4 Dead at launch, (which came out a year after The Orange Box) and everyone bought that, no complaints. Plus there is a new, un-announced mode, FIVE new campaigns, one more than that of L4D, new weapons, AI Director 2.0 with weather and level power, new enemies, Survival, Versus, thats twice L4D. They don't release on PS3, big deal, BioWare hasn't put Mass Effect or Mass Effect 2 on PS3, so their money hungry, greedy sons of ****** now. Just like Kojima, for not releasing MGS4 on 360. Stop whining, nobody will force you to but L4D2, and if you want it so bad, get a gaming PC ( the best way to play Valve games!)
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Yes it is. Its more than what was in Left 4 Dead at launch, (which came out a year after The Orange Box) and everyone bought that, no complaints. Plus there is a new, un-announced mode, FIVE new campaigns, one more than that of L4D, new weapons, AI Director 2.0 with weather and level power, new enemies, Survival, Versus, thats twice L4D. They don't release on PS3, big deal, BioWare hasn't put Mass Effect or Mass Effect 2 on PS3, so their money hungry, greedy sons of ****** now. Just like Kojima, for not releasing MGS4 on 360. Stop whining, nobody will force you to but L4D2, and if you want it so bad, get a gaming PC ( the best way to play Valve games!)enterawesome
I would give you my thumbs up, only you cannot see them. ;)
enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 enterawesome

[QUOTE="enterawesome"]Oh, Jesus people let it go! If you love Valve so much you would stop whining and help profit their games, like Left 4 Dead 2. Maybe Valve is in financial trouble and need the money? There is no devoloper that cares about the games over the money, not one. Get that through your heads! Gabe Newell is a fantastic and talented man, but he wants money. Everyone does.NielsNL

Kojima, some of Sony's first party studio's (the one behind SOTC for instance) make cult games, which aren't reallymaking money at a fast rate, From software (Demon's Soul) seems to take risk with game concepts, pretty much every studio that makes a game that is not mainstream is taking financial risks in favour of artistic decisions. Many companies do that.

I thought SotC sold fairly well? All my friends with a PS2 had it, we were all intruiged by the add in Game Informer that folded out. Except me, I rented it...

EDIT: Then again, those are exclusive to SONY platforms. Damn them, those greedy *******s! JUST like Valve and BioWare, and every other power hungry, sick corporation out there!

nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nhh18
Member since 2009 • 6538 Posts

No they don't. It doesn't make any sense why they wouldn't sell their games on ps3. Economically I doubt it would costs more than 300,000 $ to port it to the ps3 without any damage to it (being nice probably cost even less than that). And probably 100k to even make par on their game (which they will probably make 500,000 to 1 million which would allow them to make profit). Valvedecides it because they just don't want to expand and add more programmers. Rather maintain a family in the company (I think).

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#15 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

NielsNL

So how would you explain pretty much every other third party developing for both the 360 and PS3 nowadays? They don't care they they can't make money on the PS3?

They can do that because they aren't small and independent like Valve.

NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NielsNL

No they don't. It doesn't make any sense why they wouldn't sell their games on ps3. Economically I doubt it would costs more than 300,000 $ to port it to the ps3 without any damage to it (being nice probably cost even less than that). And probably 100k to even make par on their game (which they will probably make 500,000 to 1 million which would allow them to make profit). Valve decides it because they just don't want to expand and add more programmers. Rather maintain a family in the company (I think).

nhh18

They're hiring PS3 devs now, so that's not completely true. But still the PS3 discussion has been done too often before, so let's stick to L4D2.

Dystopian-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dystopian-X
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

Nope. While I'm not really enthusiastic about L4D2, it's just 1 game they are screwing up with, that's not enough reason to be calling them EA and whatnot.

nhh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nhh18
Member since 2009 • 6538 Posts

[QUOTE="nhh18"]

No they don't. It doesn't make any sense why they wouldn't sell their games on ps3. Economically I doubt it would costs more than 300,000 $ to port it to the ps3 without any damage to it (being nice probably cost even less than that). And probably 100k to even make par on their game (which they will probably make 500,000 to 1 million which would allow them to make profit). Valve decides it because they just don't want to expand and add more programmers. Rather maintain a family in the company (I think).

NielsNL

They're hiring PS3 devs now, so that's not completely true. But still the PS3 discussion has been done too often before, so let's stick to L4D2.

People make ps3 games because it makes tons of money and relatively cheap to port.There is no incentive outside of maybe being paid by microsoft to have a time exclusive for a 3rd party game not to be exclusive. Especiallya first tier developer that makes triple A titles and millions of games sold. They never hire (which is reasonable) but, it wasn't for profit that they decided not to make ps3 games. More like development times because they don't have the employees to do it.

NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NielsNL

Yes it is. Its more than what was in Left 4 Dead at launch, (which came out a year after The Orange Box) and everyone bought that, no complaints. Plus there is a new, un-announced mode, FIVE new campaigns, one more than that of L4D, new weapons, AI Director 2.0 with weather and level power, new enemies, Survival, Versus, thats twice L4D. They don't release on PS3, big deal, BioWare hasn't put Mass Effect or Mass Effect 2 on PS3, so their money hungry, greedy sons of ****** now. Just like Kojima, for not releasing MGS4 on 360. Stop whining, nobody will force you to but L4D2, and if you want it so bad, get a gaming PC ( the best way to play Valve games!)enterawesome

L4D at launch was a new game. A sequel that adds 5 (short) campaigns, 3 enemies, 1 game mode,some effects (like more zombies on screen)and melee weapons is more like an expansion to me. The AI director 2.0 (AI director is genius I must say) is just an improvement to the AI basically, also not that big of a deal that warrants full price IMO. And I play L4D on a gaming pc btw.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 enterawesome

[QUOTE="enterawesome"] Yes it is. Its more than what was in Left 4 Dead at launch, (which came out a year after The Orange Box) and everyone bought that, no complaints. Plus there is a new, un-announced mode, FIVE new campaigns, one more than that of L4D, new weapons, AI Director 2.0 with weather and level power, new enemies, Survival, Versus, thats twice L4D. They don't release on PS3, big deal, BioWare hasn't put Mass Effect or Mass Effect 2 on PS3, so their money hungry, greedy sons of ****** now. Just like Kojima, for not releasing MGS4 on 360. Stop whining, nobody will force you to but L4D2, and if you want it so bad, get a gaming PC ( the best way to play Valve games!)NielsNL

L4D at launch was a new game. A sequel that adds 5 (short) campaigns, 3 enemies, 1 game mode,some effects (like more zombies on screen)and melee weapons is more like an expansion to me. The AI director 2.0 (AI director is genius I must say) is just an improvement to the AI basically, also not that big of a deal that warrants full price IMO. And I play L4D on a gaming pc btw.

In that case, every sequel is an expansion. Madden, Call of Duty, Halo, Killzone, MGS, Gears of War, Mario, Zelda, Half-Life (yes, Half-Life, Half-Life 2 was just prettier with a fancy new physics engine and a couple new weapons), Mario Kart, EVERYTHING. Each of those usually has a new feature, some more content, new enemies/characters, weapons/equipment, and looks prettier. The only difference before was that Valve was also doing this, but with six year intervals.
NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NielsNL

[QUOTE="NielsNL"]

[QUOTE="enterawesome"] Yes it is. Its more than what was in Left 4 Dead at launch, (which came out a year after The Orange Box) and everyone bought that, no complaints. Plus there is a new, un-announced mode, FIVE new campaigns, one more than that of L4D, new weapons, AI Director 2.0 with weather and level power, new enemies, Survival, Versus, thats twice L4D. They don't release on PS3, big deal, BioWare hasn't put Mass Effect or Mass Effect 2 on PS3, so their money hungry, greedy sons of ****** now. Just like Kojima, for not releasing MGS4 on 360. Stop whining, nobody will force you to but L4D2, and if you want it so bad, get a gaming PC ( the best way to play Valve games!)enterawesome

In that case, every sequel is an expansion. Madden, Call of Duty, Halo, Killzone, MGS, Gears of War, Mario, Zelda, Half-Life (yes, Half-Life, Half-Life 2 was just prettier with a fancy new physics engine and a couple new weapons), Mario Kart, EVERYTHING. Each of those usually has a new feature, some more content, new enemies/characters, weapons/equipment, and looks prettier. The only difference before was that Valve was also doing this, but with six year intervals.

Some of the games you mention you're perfectly correct are indeed just as much milking the consumer as L4D2 is. For others there was a much longer time between games and more radical changes / more new stuff. I mean:some meleeweapons, somewhat better technically, 5 campaings that take about an hour to play each and three new boss monsters. Aside from that it's the exact same game. It's just not a lot of content.

The game is lots of fun, I'm not bashing that. I just think it should half the price of a full retail game. There's not as much dev work in it as there is in a full fledged game.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 enterawesome
[QUOTE="NielsNL"]

[QUOTE="enterawesome"][QUOTE="NielsNL"]

Some of the games you mention you're perfectly correct are indeed just as much milking the consumer as L4D2 is. For others there was a much longer time between games and more radical changes / more new stuff. I mean:some meleeweapons, somewhat better technically, 5 campaings that take about an hour to play each and three new boss monsters. Aside from that it's the exact same game. It's just not a lot of content.

The game is lots of fun, I'm not bashing that. I just think it should half the price of a full retail game. There's not as much dev work in it as there is in a full fledged game.

All those games are doing what Left 4 Dead is doing. I for one, lost several days of my life with Left 4 Dead, and I plan on doing it again. But every dev and publisher is after money so, as much as I would love to see it as well, we won't see a half price. As for the longer time and more changes, would you care to elaborate?
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#23 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

Actually Gabe Newell stated himself that he disliked L4D2 being developed and released this early.

NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NielsNL

Actually Gabe Newell stated himself that he disliked L4D2 being developed and released this early.

SpinoRaptor24

Yeah?

Remember where you read it?

NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NielsNL

All those games are doing what Left 4 Dead is doing. I for one, lost several days of my life with Left 4 Dead, and I plan on doing it again. But every dev and publisher is after money so, as much as I would love to see it as well, we won't see a half price. As for the longer time and more changes, would you care to elaborate?enterawesome

Well, with five 1 hour campaings there is effectively 5 hours of new gameplay (of course with an online game it's not comepltely like that, but you catch my drift). The other games you mentioned have at least a 10 hour new campaign in the sequel. More new weapons, more new monsters, sometimes even a much more polished graphical presentation. Just moreto offer generally. Though you're right, L4D definately isn't the only game guilty of having incrementally improved sequels at full price .

Edit: the latter is what I'm ranting at: incremental improvements at full price. There's a skewed relationship between the amount of work that goes in and the amount of money they want to make of it.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#26 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

[QUOTE="SpinoRaptor24"]

NielsNL

Yeah?

Here you go

"...So the team brought their ideas and concepts to Gabe Newell and even he was skeptical about the idea...claimed this move was against the character of the company..."

Link

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 enterawesome

[QUOTE="enterawesome"]All those games are doing what Left 4 Dead is doing. I for one, lost several days of my life with Left 4 Dead, and I plan on doing it again. But every dev and publisher is after money so, as much as I would love to see it as well, we won't see a half price. As for the longer time and more changes, would you care to elaborate?NielsNL

Well, with five 1 hour campaings there is effectively 5 hours of new gameplay (of course with an online game it's not comepltely like that, but you catch my drift). The other games you mentioned have at least a 10 hour new campaign in the sequel. More new weapons, more new monsters, sometimes even a much more polished graphical presentation. Just moreto offer generally. Though you're right, L4D definately isn't the only game guilty of having incrementally improved sequels at full price .

Edit: the latter is what I'm ranting at: incremental improvements at full price. There's a skewed relationship between the amount of work that goes in and the amount of money they want to make of it.

Content is an arguable place. I got over 100 hours from some skimpy campaign through replay, so it all depends upon how much you're willing to put into it. If you couldn't bring yourself to play through the campaigns in L4D more than twice, its definately not enough, and L4D2 will be the same case. I'd put 60 bucks into 100 hours of excellent zombie-shooting simulation anyday, you might not. L4D2 certainly doesn't have a ton of new content, unless the unannounced new mode is something ridiculously game changing, but I'm okay with that, because I know I'll be getting an excellent, quality title from my favorite devoloper.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

That's all ANY company head cares about.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

X360PS3AMD05

One of the few devs that actually do that.

Deadly_Fatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 Deadly_Fatalis
Member since 2006 • 1756 Posts
Although I'm skeptical about L4D2, I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt. They haven't failed me before, and I believe they won't fail me now.
gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I'm sure most people here could run their games on PC anyway.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
What the hell do you think everyone cares about to begin with? And Valve have already adressed this, unfortunatly people seem to love ignoring the information out there and blindly speculate. Valve aren't going to do a sup par job porting. If they will do it, they will do it properly. Simple as that.
angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts
He made Half Life and it's sequels, that automatically overrides any criticisms about him. I am serious :|
Dystopian-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Dystopian-X
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

Here you go

"...So the team brought their ideas and concepts to Gabe Newell and even he was skeptical about the idea...claimed this move was against the character of the company..."SpinoRaptor24

Team should have listened. L4D2 is looking more like a dumb move for the whole community. Now they are worrying about things such as crossplay between L4D and L4D2 instead of focusing on adding more content to it.

feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts
When you are running your own multi million dollar company, then make fun of him, But you need a reality check, EVERYONE IN BUSINESS DOES THIS---SONY INCLUDED. [QUOTE="NielsNL"]

It's fair to say that the purpose of a company is to make money. Valve is no different. However as most here will know Gabe Newell doesn't want to be developing games for the PS3. He often gets called lazy for that in this forum. People who like to defend him do so by stating he's not lazy but it's normal for a company to want to maximize profit. However the word milking is often used too in this forum. And that is the word that keeps springing to mind whenever I see anything or read about L4D2. Don't get me wrong, Valve is a great dev, the Orange Box was a fantastic deal, Portal was genius,HL2 a great game and L4D probably the most fun shooter I ever played online, but asking full price for L4D2? Right, that's just robbing the gamer. I mean, I realize times are rough with the financial crisis and all, but robbing your customers is not a very nice way to get through it. As for Gabe not liking the PS3, well the L4D business decision is telling me that his dislike most likely also come forth from greediness. The PS3 is more expensive to develop for, so if Gabe can't become even richer than he already is, easily,it's not interesting to him. I don't like that attitude. The devs that I do repect are the ones that actually care more for the games they produce than the money they make them (or at least care just as much about both). Valve's L4D2 not being an expansion, but full price plus the lazy/greedy PS3 decisions over the last few years has made me lose a lot of the respect I had for them.

/rant

Raining__Blood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Raining__Blood
Member since 2009 • 237 Posts
It's not your company or business it shouldn't concern you at all.
whatisazerg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 whatisazerg
Member since 2009 • 2371 Posts

Let me shorten that for ya TC.....

"Wahhhhhhh :cry: L4D & L4D2 aren't on the PS3"

/thread

-Grieves-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 -Grieves-
Member since 2007 • 1708 Posts

It's quite obvious that Gabe Newell doesn't just care about money, he cares for pies as well.:lol:

clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts
Lame attempt, Valve are still the best developer in gaming.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

It's quite obvious that Gabe Newell doesn't just care about money, he cares for pies as well.:lol:

-Grieves-

Hey he earned those pies

clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts

-Grieves-

he sure does like his pie.

NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 NielsNL

[QUOTE="NielsNL"]

[QUOTE="SpinoRaptor24"]

SpinoRaptor24

Yeah?

Here you go

"...So the team brought their ideas and concepts to Gabe Newell and even he was skeptical about the idea...claimed this move was against the character of the company..."

Link

Thanks! I must say I probably judged too soon.

NielsNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NielsNL

Let me shorten that for ya TC.....

"Wahhhhhhh :cry: L4D & L4D2 aren't on the PS3"

/thread

whatisazerg

Very mature post. If you actually read the thread you'd have seen I play it on pc. I also have a 360 by the way. But you'er not here to seriously discuss, you're just here to annoy people.

Syaz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Syaz1
Member since 2008 • 554 Posts

every businessman cares about money. valve is not a charity organization.

Avatar image for Giglioroninomic
Giglioroninomic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Giglioroninomic
Member since 2004 • 79 Posts

*insert generic American douchenozzle solution here*

If you don't like it, well you can just geeeeetOUT!

No, everyone feels the same as you do about l4d2. And about Steam and Valve. Valve has grown far too big for its britches from the humble company it once was in 1998 and I feel their time has come for a cleansing fire of some sort.

Avatar image for Giglioroninomic
Giglioroninomic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Giglioroninomic
Member since 2004 • 79 Posts

Actually after reading that article again I have things to say for real this time.

Is he a moron? Answer: yes.

The entire concept of Downloadable Content, of patching, of THE STEAM DELIVERY SYSTEM, was so that that Valve, and other devs in the case of the other 2900 games on steam n ot made by valve, could continually support their products in an accessible, ongoing, and public way, to keep gamers playing, to keep them doing something, to keep turning profits on the same game if necessary while a full-fledged product deserving of a full price tag was in the works, for years if necessary. He says that TF2 is different from L4D in that changes can be made that do not affect the game. No, thats utter horse manure. There is no truth to that whatsoever, I don't need to see the source code to know that.

The L4D team can easily release maps, skins, entire scenarios, add new musical parts to the music generator, without affecting the overall integrity of the game. The entire L4D thing is just pure scam nonsense. The game doesn't deserve a full price tag itself, much less it's sequel deserving one. It's simply not long enough or full enough of a game. Go here, shoot zombies, try not to do, go here, don't die, kk go here now, seriously don't die, oh yay you made it to the plane, you wins! That is not a game. That's a scenario. Even four scenarios is not enough to make a game, and all four scenarios are exactly the same in terms of gameplay experience. Once you've shot a million virtual organic beings, or robots, or anything that can be shot, there honestly is no experience that will be different for you and impress you in a video game. So there is nothing they could do for the sequel except for maybe having the entire city be wide open so that you could potentially have a different gameplay experience each time. Or have the entire city in the game and maybe one play through a building catches on fire and blocks off the easiest way out, or something like that you know.

The game itself is just honestly a mod. And this is the problem with HL2. They are trying to substitute what used to be mods in HL1 for fullprice games. Left 4 dead is not a game until it has an engrossing storyline and purposely orchestrated plot devices that exist only to piss you off and make the game more complicated than surviving and getting to the rendezvous point, like having to find a thousand different keys that unlock different doors and get you into situations that are hard to survive. They need to stop doing this. TF2 = mod L4D = mod CS = mod DoD = mod but yet they are all now sold for full price because Valve purchased them and the people now work there.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
You might have missed economics 101.. But the primary goal of a business is to make profit...
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Instead of whining and ranting why don't you just not buy Left 4 Dead 2 like me? Actions like that speak to a company much more then a forum full of rants.

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Brownesque
Member since 2005 • 5660 Posts
It's quite obvious that Gabe Newell doesn't just care about money, he cares for pies as well.:lol:clembo1990
Hm....that looks like a cake. Maybe the pie is a lie?
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Lol at these people that seem to think these companies care about them.If anyone needs the loving attention of a business to make them feel better, then their problem is a bit more deep than greedy developers.

Video games are a multibillion dollar business. These guys spend a lot of money getting the resources together to entertain you for a few hours. Yeah, they might expect a little bit of return on their investment of time and money.