Does anyone who bought the Kinect regret it?

• 16 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

Early adopters of the Xbone obviously had no choice but to get Kinect. Now that there's an option, an overwhelming majority of people are opting to get the Kinectless version. When the system was first released, MS had this vision where they were going to make Kinect mandatory in every SKU because they had big plans to integrate Kinect into the majority of games.

With the struggles in sales, they were forced to drop the mandatory Kinect and in turn drop its support. The simple fact that they dropped Kinect as being mandatory means support has dropped in half if not less. Considering the highest selling Xbox One SKU doesn't include a Kinect, it leads me to believe that Kinect integration will be seen less and less as time goes on. I wouldn't be surprised if they scrapped the thing all together.

It just seems to me that buying the Xbone early would be something to regret considering all of the recent price drops and game bundles. The fact that the Kinect, something most people didn't want but were forced to buy anyways (for early adopters), is getting its support cut in half or less, it just seems like early adopters got the shaft.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

No...I use it everyday and couldn't imagine the X1 without it. Even today I would buy the X1 with Kinect included.

KingJuggaNott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 KingJuggaNott
Member since 2013 • 200 Posts

@chikenfriedrice said:

No...I use it everyday and couldn't imagine the X1 without it. Even today I would buy the X1 with Kinect included.

I feel the same. Without the Kinect how could you get the full experience of what the XBOX ONE is. Talking to my homegirl on skype while playing games....BOSS....along with the other perks of having the camera. Now that I have it, I can't imagine why you would want one without the Camera. One of my friends had the chance to get the 400 dollar console without it. After he came to my spot to see how I was using it, he reconsidered and got it with the camera.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

@kingjugganott said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

I feel the same. Without the Kinect how could you get the full experience of what the XBOX ONE is. Talking to my homegirl on skype while playing games....BOSS....along with the other perks of having the camera. Now that I have it, I can't imagine why you would want one without the Camera. One of my friends had the chance to get the 400 dollar console without it. After he came to my spot to see how I was using it, he reconsidered and got it with the camera.

It really does take the Xbox One to another level....and also is user friendly for my wife who doesn't like using a controller to navigate apps etc.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@arkephonic said:

Early adopters of the Xbone obviously had no choice but to get Kinect. Now that there's an option, an overwhelming majority of people are opting to get the Kinectless version. When the system was first released, MS had this vision where they were going to make Kinect mandatory in every SKU because they had big plans to integrate Kinect into the majority of games.

With the struggles in sales, they were forced to drop the mandatory Kinect and in turn drop its support. The simple fact that they dropped Kinect as being mandatory means support has dropped in half if not less. Considering the highest selling Xbox One SKU doesn't include a Kinect, it leads me to believe that Kinect integration will be seen less and less as time goes on. I wouldn't be surprised if they scrapped the thing all together.

It just seems to me that buying the Xbone early would be something to regret considering all of the recent price drops and game bundles. The fact that the Kinect, something most people didn't want but were forced to buy anyways (for early adopters), is getting its support cut in half or less, it just seems like early adopters got the shaft.

No, because the kids love it.

KingJuggaNott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KingJuggaNott

@chikenfriedrice said:

@kingjugganott said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

It really does take the Xbox One to another level....and also is user friendly for my wife who doesn't like using a controller to navigate apps etc.

Yes, that's true. Even if your friends that don't really know how to navigate around on it come over, it's simple to just speak to it. I like that I have the option to have it sign me in by identifying me first etc. It's cool when you have multiple people in front of the camera and it recognizes everyone who has a profile. For ME it makes it a part of what a NEXTGEN console could do.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

Don't regret it one bit, really adds to the Xbox experience. Really agree with everyone above, it's just convenient and makes it something different. Love using Xbox Bing to search for stuff and scanning codes is great too.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Yes, I regret it. I posted why before, eh.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

I don't regret it, per say, but i am disappointed with the way it has not been supported by proper games. I have Kinect Sports Rivals, Fantasia, Dance Central and a couple of smaller titles downloaded from the store. Its fun enough, but i dont think it works very well sometimes. I never use Kinect for interfacing with the menues,,,i use the controller 100 percent of the time...much faster and responsive than fiddling with Kinect.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

I wish I had one actually. It would probably help navigate what I consider to be the worst UI of all time.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

@Videodogg said:

I don't regret it, per say, but i am disappointed with the way it has not been supported by proper games. I have Kinect Sports Rivals, Fantasia, Dance Central and a couple of smaller titles downloaded from the store. Its fun enough, but i dont think it works very well sometimes. I never use Kinect for interfacing with the menues,,,i use the controller 100 percent of the time...much faster and responsive than fiddling with Kinect.

This was more my point. MS painted this Kinect depiction right when the generation started regarding how they were going to implement Kinect in all their games, 1st party and 3rd. It was supposed to be this major game changer and change the way you play video games. Multiplats were supposed to all be better on Xbox because of Kinect. They were going to be, "Better With Kinect". Kinect was to be in every SKU because Kinect was going to be an integral part of the Xbox experience regarding everything from games to interface.

What we have now is Microsoft swallowing their pride and releasing a SKU without Kinect. The SKU without Kinect just so happens to be outselling the SKU with Kinect 10 fold. No one wants the SKU with Kinect now. Every advertisement you see for Xbox One advertises the Xbox One $399 version without Kinect with no mention of Kinect. They have now divided their install base to the point where less than half of Xbox One owners own Kinect. Their reasoning for including it in every SKU in the beginning was because they wanted every owner to own a Kinect. Think of it like the Wii and with motion controls. It wouldn't have worked unless every person had access to it, they couldn't divide their install base the way Xbone has and have it work.

Kinect has been a failure for MS. The Xbone wasn't selling with it, it's selling better now without it. Their vision of having Kinect with every Xbone failed. Their install base is now divided meaning developers won't integrate it anymore in their games. It's now been relegated to developers who make games specifically designed for Kinect which are few and far between. When they do come out, they suck. It's like last gen but worse.

If you need proof that Kinect has been a failure, just look at the replies in this thread. No one uses it for games, they use it for interface and it works half as well as a controller for even that.

KingJuggaNott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KingJuggaNott

@UnbiasedPoster said:

I wish I had one actually. It would probably help navigate what I consider to be the worst UI of all time.

I've heard so many people say this. And to be honest if so many people feel this way then it's a fail. I was watching Twitch and a guy didn't now how to get to the settings-- I had to type on the comments "All you have to do is press the menu button from the Home Screen". He did it and found what he was looking for. I've even heard on the YEAR REVIEW of the Xbox the Gamespot staff bash it. It's beyond me because the UI is simple to me. If anything it's not as responsive as lets say the PS4--but I feel like there isn't much TO the PS4 to search for. But again, not as simple and mundane as putting everything in one line across the screen--but not actually rocket science either. IMO

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MikeHockbourns
Member since 2014 • 754 Posts

of coarse they do, but they won't admit it because it will hurt their feelings.

its so much easier to browse with the controller than screaming at the top of your lungs..

KingJuggaNott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KingJuggaNott

@arkephonic said:

@Videodogg said:

This was more my point. MS painted this Kinect depiction right when the generation started regarding how they were going to implement Kinect in all their games, 1st party and 3rd. It was supposed to be this major game changer and change the way you play video games. Multiplats were supposed to all be better on Xbox because of Kinect. They were going to be, "Better With Kinect". Kinect was to be in every SKU because Kinect was going to be an integral part of the Xbox experience regarding everything from games to interface.

What we have now is Microsoft swallowing their pride and releasing a SKU without Kinect. The SKU without Kinect just so happens to be outselling the SKU with Kinect 10 fold. No one wants the SKU with Kinect now. Every advertisement you see for Xbox One advertises the Xbox One $399 version without Kinect with no mention of Kinect. They have now divided their install base to the point where less than half of Xbox One owners own Kinect. Their reasoning for including it in every SKU in the beginning was because they wanted every owner to own a Kinect. Think of it like the Wii and with motion controls. It wouldn't have worked unless every person had access to it, they couldn't divide their install base the way Xbone has and have it work.

Kinect has been a failure for MS. The Xbone wasn't selling with it, it's selling better now without it. Their vision of having Kinect with every Xbone failed. Their install base is now divided meaning developers won't integrate it anymore in their games. It's now been relegated to developers who make games specifically designed for Kinect which are few and far between. When they do come out, they suck. It's like last gen but worse.

If you need proof that Kinect has been a failure, just look at the replies in this thread. No one uses it for games, they use it for interface and it works half as well as a controller for even that.

Oh, I get it....it was a bashing thread. Sorry. My fault, it IS System Wars

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

I can't imagine owning the Xbox One without the Kinect, a fantastic device Kinect.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

@kingjugganott said:

@UnbiasedPoster said:

And to be honest if so many people feel this way then it's a fail.

Oh it is, it's so un-intuitive and everything feels so deeply hidden beyond layers of menus.

Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360 (all iterations), PS3, and PS4 are all better. I've never used something so bad.

KingJuggaNott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KingJuggaNott

@UnbiasedPoster said:

@kingjugganott said:

@UnbiasedPoster said:

And to be honest if so many people feel this way then it's a fail.

Oh it is, it's so un-intuitive and everything feels so deeply hidden beyond layers of menus.

Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360 (all iterations), PS3, and PS4 are all better. I've never used something so bad.

That's usually the stance I've been hearing. To be honest when I hear it, it makes me think of my Grand Parents expressing their frustration over stuff like hooking up the cable. It's just beyond me.

YD_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 YD_11
Member since 2006 • 1867 Posts

Dont regret it at all. I use it literally every day. And I do mean everyday.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

Part of me does, and part of me doesn't. On one hand, I usually have my laptop in front of me while I'm playing on my One anyways, so the webcam features of it are rendered fairly useless for me, as I tend to just use skype on my computer anyways. However, I do see the merit in the voice controls, and whenever I go to my buddy's house and see his setup with the kinect I do tend to feel a slight twang of jealousy.

Either way, I probably won't end up getting it unless some retailer puts up a ridiculous sale for it.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22984 Posts

I've found that my original kinect was more accurate than the few times I used the xone version in the voice control...

And as for the motion games.... Lol

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

I got a console w/o one and i'm fine with it. If i used the apps like skype then i'd want one, but the headset is enough for now

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60722 Posts

Yes. I would of gladly gave it up to save the $100 as its all by saved for turning system on and off for me. when the room is filled and people are chatting, forget about using it.

The only thing I remotely found useless was scanning codes in.

For gaming its useless, as has been always will be for me. I dont want to dance, flail my arms or legs or shout instructions to the TV. I have tried many games and when the thing doesn't pick up the right command the frustration makes it loose any small benefit it may have.

If they offer a Halo 5 bundle without it, I may trade in.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

Not at all. I use it daily.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#25 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14421 Posts

Does anyone even want a Kinect? lol

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60722 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Does anyone even want a Kinect? lol

Very few and I would love to see the numbers of consoles sold with it and without since MS decided to offer a X1 without one. My guess is a staggering % of people who buy one without it, saving the $100 and games that are easy to live without.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I have two Xbox Ones and only Kinect on one of them. That I regret. I miss having it on the second console.

I ask TC why don't you make a topic about Sonys failed MoVE system since not motion systems are optional now?

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

I have two Xbox Ones and only Kinect on one of them. That I regret. I miss having it on the second console.

I ask TC why don't you make a topic about Sonys failed MoVE system since not motion systems are optional now?

I came into this thread looking for a post from you supporting Kinect. Glad I wasn't disappointed.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

" Day one" edition here. Of course, I didn't have the option at that time but if I had, I would definitely get it without the Kinect. Haven't used the thing at all except to scan bar codes.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Believe it or not, I want to purchase a Xbox One Kinect in the future to try out some of the released motion games.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Was this thread to intentionally bait the amateur Microsoft Public Relations team on System Wars?

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Someone who said using controller is more responsive than Kinect is full of shit, and obviously hasn't tried snapping / unsnappimg apps with Kinect because it's infinitely faster and LITERALLY more responsive. And the answer to the TC's question is of course NO like all posters who I consider sensible before me.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

Yeah, I regret it and I'm thinking about selling the Kinect on ebay.

I think that the Xbox One's Kinect is a great piece of technology with a lot of potential for some creative developer to take advantage of, but the problem is nobody seems to be doing anything with it.

I think it's disappointing that Kinect for the Xbox 360 sucked yet it got pretty good support from developers, but Kinect for Xbox One which is actually really great is not getting any support.

tymeservesfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tymeservesfate
Member since 2003 • 2230 Posts

@arkephonic said:

@Videodogg said:

so you basically just wanted to bash the Kinect then, and this thread is a farce -_-....smh.

you ignored all the positive posts about it then the one post where someone BARELY criticizes it you use it to go on an off-base rant about how the "Kinect is a failure".

it was funny how you thought everyone was going to charge in here saying how terrible it is though. and how it completely backfired on you, good stuff lol.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

No

Its a fantastic device, its intuitive and great for voice command navigation, I literally use it daily. I dont care how pathetic it sounds being able to lower the volume without trying to find the remote is an awesome feeling alone. Plus some of the software designed specifically for the kinect is actually pretty good. Iv had more fun playing the handful of kinect titles with my kids than I did with the wii and its similar motion control offerings (imho).

I can certainly understand why your hardcore gamer may not see it as an essential purchase....I totally get that. However as part of the Xbox experience and for a family console, its pretty fucking awesome. Its one of the only differentiators between these consoles this gen, its tragic more people dont appreciate that and support the vision. I guess the real question is....Whats wrong with the kinect?

If you critique it as a standalone hardware accessory it serves its purpose and its a great piece of kit. If you expect it to absolutely revolutionise gaming as we know it, you might find yourself a little underwhelmed. However that is not solely the fault of the kinect device itself.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

I believe those who say they don't regret it however I don't really see the device adding something to the overall gaming experience.. Personally I would have gladly saved the money and get a couple more games.. but then again I saved much more by not getting the X1 :)

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13670 Posts

Yes, I feel like I was deceived. It's not about Kinect for me but the vision. MS 'this is our vision for the X1', then they abandoned it and I'm left with a Kinect I don't even use or have connected anymore.

MS punished early adopters and all they offer is Limbo. Through out this gen I'll always have the feeling they screwed me.

Learnt my costly lesson about early adopting, I'll be waiting like one and a half years next time before I make a choice about a console if at all, because of that BS I started getting into PC gaming and so far I see no reason to go back. I'll just be picking up a couple of exclusives a year on consoles from now on.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Pretty much everyone.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 6209 Posts

I love the Kinect and most likely buy one with Kinect if I had to do it again. It adds a unique positive experience and the kids love the games.

If there are no games for it in 2015 I'd be annoyed with the lack of support for it mind.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@mikhail said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

I came into this thread looking for a post from you supporting Kinect. Glad I wasn't disappointed.

I came into this thread looking for disappointment. Glad I wasn't disappointed. Wut?

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RedentSC
Member since 2013 • 1243 Posts

Anyone who has half a brain cell yes

YD_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 YD_11
Member since 2006 • 1867 Posts

Btw, Dance Central Spotlight and Fantasia are great games utilizing the Kinect recently. But i can understand some people are self-conscious and may not be into the games you have to get up and move to play.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

@mikehockbourns said:

of coarse they do, but they won't admit it because it will hurt their feelings.

its so much easier to browse with the controller than screaming at the top of your lungs..

Why would you scream? Its quite okay to talk at a normal level.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44280 Posts

I would have really liked having the complete system as intended but no way, no how could I pass on getting the X1 MCC bunduru so cheap this past BF.

KingJuggaNott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By KingJuggaNott

@always_explicit said:

No

Its a fantastic device, its intuitive and great for voice command navigation, I literally use it daily. I dont care how pathetic it sounds being able to lower the volume without trying to find the remote is an awesome feeling alone. Plus some of the software designed specifically for the kinect is actually pretty good. Iv had more fun playing the handful of kinect titles with my kids than I did with the wii and its similar motion control offerings (imho).

I can certainly understand why your hardcore gamer may not see it as an essential purchase....I totally get that. However as part of the Xbox experience and for a family console, its pretty fucking awesome. Its one of the only differentiators between these consoles this gen, its tragic more people dont appreciate that and support the vision. I guess the real question is....Whats wrong with the kinect?

If you critique it as a standalone hardware accessory it serves its purpose and its a great piece of kit. If you expect it to absolutely revolutionise gaming as we know it, you might find yourself a little underwhelmed. However that is not solely the fault of the kinect device itself.

Right. I can understand how a hardcore gamer wouldn't appreciate it, because they are looking to use it for games. I also can see how some 15 year old cramped up in a room wouldn't have the space for it.

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Fuhrer_D
Member since 2011 • 1125 Posts

I regret buying Fantasia, because now my wife and her girlfriend always try and take over my Xbox One and tree house (my man space). I'm thinking about getting another Xbox One for the den, but don't want to pay the price of the one with the Kinect, but I wouldn't buy one any other way... Short answer to your question, no; we use it for Skype, games, and sometimes both (she Skyped me while playing Fantasia when I was out of town last week).

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@kingjugganott said:

@always_explicit said:

No

Right. I can understand how a hardcore gamer wouldn't appreciate it, because they are looking to use it for games. I also can see how some 15 year old cramped up in a room wouldn't have the space for it.

Yeah totally overlooked the space issue, could well be a problem that effects quite a few consumers realistically.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#48 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I'm sure there a lot of people who regret it, but I'm not one of them. Cannot imagine the X1 without it. To be fair, however, I will say I use it mostly for UI stuff and apps, and I rarely use it in game(though I do have the recent dance games that were released, and I am enjoying them so far, especially fantasia).

Its fantastic for skyping, pausing/playing movies, instant switching(only possible with Kinect), Twitch streaming, etc. I use it in conjunction with the controller to get the best of both worlds.....some things are better with the controller, and vise versa. For me, as an amusing reference, it reminds me of the computer in Star Trek...except it does not talk back lol

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

My wife bought it on Black Friday a few years ago for the 360 (after I told her not to!). Games were pants and it became a novelty remote for netflix for a bit. In the end it was just taking up a plug. Waste of space.