Does any console game look even half as good as the best looking PC games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

PC games look gorgeous. What console game looks as good as the best looking PC games?

Witcher 2

crysis

shogun 2

Now, I'm no graphics whore, but I think it is obvious that discussing one certain console's 'great graphics' while putting down the other console's graphical capabilities (and no, I'm not referring to the Wii here) is laughable, considering how most console games are visually bottlenecked by old technology anyway.

Stop kidding yourselves. If good looking games is what you want, get a gaming PC. If you're playing a console game for groundbreaking graphics, you're doing it wrong.

Having said that, it is always a plus of course when a console game looks good- but whenever it does, it usually does so at the cost of mechanics or freedom in gameplay.

EDIT: To be clear, many console games still look good. Uncharted looks good. Killzone looks good. God of War 3 looks excellent. Gears of War looks great. Skyrim, Withcer 2, Assassin's Creed all look good. But PC games, frame for frame, will always looks better (if they have been properly optimized).

Console games look good for console standards. But no console game will ever be 'graphics king,' except for maybe at the beginning of its generation.

undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

sigh another one...do we have to do this everyday

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Wasn't there a megathread about that a few months ago? I recall seeing some pretty darn good console screens.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

A lot of console gamers see it as an attack when you say PC games look better.

But everyone who owns a capable PC and consoles can see it with their own eyes (except for loosingENDS but everyone just laughs at him).

Nobody is saying games like Uncharted, Gears of War or Killzone look bad, they don't. But they don't hold a candle to the best looking PC games. (except for the raging PC fanboys but again everyone just laughs at them).

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Of course not, but all the consolites are currently turning against each other, threads liek this just remind them of their common enemy.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
This is why console games should have stable resolutions, stable frames, fun games, and innovation in new ways to play. Graphics pushing on consoles is dumb imo. You are killing the game by trying to make the hardware push itself to the limits. We get ugly looking textures, horrible frames, limited freedom, and crap innovation.
MrJack3690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MrJack3690
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts

This is why console games should have stable resolutions, stable frames, fun games, and innovation in new ways to play. Graphics pushing on consoles is dumb imo. You are killing the game by trying to make the hardware push itself to the limits. We get ugly looking textures, horrible frames, limited freedom, and crap innovation.ShadowDeathX

Agreed.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Only those super linear and scripted games would come close, but that is the secret, linear and scripted. As far as open world goes, RDR is the best looking and doesn't match PC.
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

I replayed the Gears series last week.

I thought it looked pretty amazing.

Whether it's thru upscaling, scripting, artwork or whatever illusion.

All gaming is illusion.

I'm happy in general with the graphics, wish the gameplay was a little more...diverse.

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

More importantly, most console-games doesn't have da 60FPS.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

Just about all 360/PC games look almost the same where your wasting your time sitting down and comparing two pictures. But then you do have those rare PC only games which actually look a lot better. But these days they're become less and less common because everythings just being made for consoles then ported over.

Tikeio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Tikeio
Member since 2011 • 5332 Posts

Does any 6-7 year old gaming PC produce graphics even half as good as PC's with current PC hardware in them? No.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
isnt it common sense that if you can afford a good pc or build your own that its probably the best system to own? honestly idk why its even part of SW other than hermits just need the attention because they get none in real life from real people
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]This is why console games should have stable resolutions, stable frames, fun games, and innovation in new ways to play. Graphics pushing on consoles is dumb imo. You are killing the game by trying to make the hardware push itself to the limits. We get ugly looking textures, horrible frames, limited freedom, and crap innovation.MrJack3690

Agreed.

agreedededed and i am not even console gamer who gives 2 fawks about graphics
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SaltyMeatballs

Does any 6-7 year old gaming PC produce graphics even half as good as PC's with current PC hardware in them? No.

Tikeio
Two different things. You can upgrade a PC if you choose; that is the advantage of PC gaming. Advantage of console gaming is making the most out of the hardware.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

You hvae to factor in the resolution and framerate too in these things because console guys always forget about it or say it's not important. It plays a much bigger role than people think.

WarTornRuston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 WarTornRuston
Member since 2011 • 2712 Posts

What a pointless thread. That is like asking in any PS2 games look as good as the best PS3 games. But I think the very best 360/PS3 gams hold up well next to them. BEATS THEM? No but it isn't like Rayman Origins, Blazblue, Killzone 3, or Red Dead Redemption looks bad next to them either.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

What a pointless thread. That is like asking in any PS2 games look as good as the best PS2 games. But I think the very best 360/PS3 gams hold up well next to them. BEATS THEM? No but it isn't like Rayman Origins, Blazblue, Killzone 3, or Red Dead Redemption looks bad next to them either.

WarTornRuston

Yet you have no problem with 360 v ps3 graphical threads even though they are for all intents and purposes identical.

You sir, are a large box, used to house a 5 ton mammal for transportation.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

That is like asking in any PS2 games look as good as the best PS2 games.

WarTornRuston

Why is that ?

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

The games look good enough.

Much more important (to me) is having unique experiences like Journey, that are closer to having a religious experience than playing a game.

And RDR was amazing, I feel sorry for anybody who didn't get to play it because of being a graphics snob.

Some of the best games ever are old games that look graphically ugly.

Like Deus Ex, Age of Empires, WoW etc.

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts
I love how it took 7 years for these topics to become regurgitated hourly
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52452 Posts

Does any pc game look even half as good as Uncharted 3 :|

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts
And even still I can hardly tell a difference
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#24 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

There are some PS3 games that look just as good (and even better in some areas) as many top PC games. Uncharted 3 and Killzone 3 for starters look amazing, they can rival right up there with PC Witcher 2 and even Crysis.

Upcoming PS3 games can do it as well like God of War Acension and The Last of Us, both of those games are going to be the new graphics king. Hermits don't want to admit it, but PS3 can do great graphics to.

It's the only console that can, 360 and Wii don't have the power to do graphics on those kind of levels. They are too weak.

MrJack3690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MrJack3690
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts

There are some PS3 games that look just as good (and even better in some areas) as many top PC games. Uncharted 3 and Killzone 3 for starters look amazing, they can rival right up there with PC Witcher 2 and even Crysis.

Upcoming PS3 games can do it as well like God of War Acension and The Last of Us, both of those games are going to be the new graphics king. Hermits don't want to admit it, but PS3 can do great graphics to.

It's the only console that can, 360 and Wii don't have the power to do graphics on those kind of levels. They are too weak.

ShadowMoses900

I am now dumber for reading this...Thanks a lot.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Thing is when PC screens are posted they are usually actual in game shots, console gamers usually come in threads like these with PR bullshots and say console games look as good.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Thing is when PC screens are posted they are usually actual in game shots, console gamers usually come in threads like these with PR bullshots and say console games look as good.

pelvist
and then when in game screen grabs are posted the "it doesn't look like that on my TV" excuse comes out. When you sit 8 foot back they don't look as bad as the direct screens, but you can still see they are noticeably blurry and low res compared to pc games, playing on a TV is closer to the direct screen grabs than the bullshots, which are usually closer to PC games.
casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

I really hate when people say "PC" as if it is one standardized console. There are so many factors that you have to decide upon with a PC that make one different than another that it's really really stupid to simply say "PC" as if one = all.

I really depends on which specific configuration of PC you are dealing with. I don't get why this is so hard for people to grasp. PC games built around averages of PC technology and the minimum specs for games vary from one game to the next.

Sure if you have a top of the line SLI setup,a muti thread core, with 8 gigs of ram you could look better than anything on the market...*IF* there was a game built optimized to take advantage of those specific settings. If there is one thing I have learned from the PC games I have played is that unless you max out and mod a specific game, it really isn't much more impressive than what the best console games have managed to put out.

PC will ALWAYS have the resolution advantage so that is always apparent but it's nothing that blew me away. I would say that TW2 is the best looking vanilla game I have played on my PC but it still fails in some areas like character models (especially the terrible hair) and animations which I have seen consoles so better.

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Am_Confucius

ShadowMoses900
You aren't keeping it a secret that you are a total fanboy.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

Am_Confucius

That's not a counter argument, just calling someone a fanboy doesn't prove anything. It's just a cop out, a way to admit you lost without actually saying it.

Here I will prove my point:

First Uncharted 3:

Uncharted 3 Desert Village Gameplay HD

Uncharted 3 Walkthrough Chapter 3 HD

Uncharted 3 Gameplay - Part 4 (Let's Play) HD Campaign

Now Witcher 2 PC:

The Witcher 2 - PC Gameplay HD (Max Settings)

The Witcher 2 - PC HD Walkthrough - Part 1 (That Morning, the King S

The Witcher 2 - Walkthrough - Part 3 (PC) [1080p HD]

Now Killzone 3:

Killzone 3: Kaznan Jungle Multiplayer Gameplay [HD] - Pixel E

Killzone 3 Walkthrough Part 15 in HD [Killzone 3 PS3 Gamep

killZone 3 Online Multiplayer Warzone HD part 1/2 Frozen dam

Now Crysis 2 PC:

Crysis 2 - PC Gameplay Max Settings [Full HD]

Crysis 2 PC Gameplay HD

Crysis 2 Walkthrough: Mission 4 [1080p HD] (PC)

As you can see, minimal differences between them. And in some areas the PS3 games look better, like UC3 has better textures and charecter animations/modles than W2 maxed out on PC.

And in some areas KZ3 looks better than PC Crysis. I just proved it with these videos. Overall PC might take the edge, but the edge isn't very big. Truth is that PS3 can rival PC in graphics.

Even upcoming PS3 games prove this point more, Here:

IGN: God of War: Ascension - Multiplayer Killing Spree [HD]

The Last of Us - The Truck Ambush Trailer HD

You probably won't admit it, but you know it's true. PS3 is capable of doing great graphics just like the PC. Now are you going to prove me wrong? Or are you just going to call me a fanboy again?

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SaltyMeatballs
ShadowMoses = village idiot
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ShadowMoses900

ShadowMoses = village idiotSaltyMeatballs

Never countered any of my points, resorting to name calling like a child just means you lose. There isn't that much difference in graphics in those videos, Hermits just over hype them beyond reality.

Aceback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Aceback
Member since 2006 • 42 Posts

So, what everyone cares about is graphics. Why not go watch movies instead?

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#34 PAL360  Online
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

Half as good?? I would say Gears 3, Forza 4, Uncharted 3, God of War 3, Red Dead Redemption and some others, dont look bad compared to the best on PC.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52452 Posts

So, what everyone cares about is graphics. Why not go watch movies instead?

Aceback
They have no gameplay :|
Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

[QUOTE="Am_Confucius"][QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

ShadowMoses900

That's not a counter argument, just calling someone a fanboy doesn't prove anything. It's just a cop out, a way to admit you lost without actually saying it.

First Uncharted 3:

Now Witcher 2 PC:

Now Killzone 3:

Now Crysis 2 PC:

Crysis 2 PC Gameplay HD

As you can see, minimal differences between them. And in some areas the PS3 games look better, like UC3 has better textures and charecter animations/modles than W2 maxed out on PC.

And in some areas KZ3 looks better than PC Crysis. I just proved it with these videos. Overall PC might take the edge, but the edge isn't very big. Truth is that PS3 can rival PC in graphics.

You probably won't admit it, but you know it's true. PS3 is capable of doing great graphics just like the PC. Now are you going to prove me wrong? Or are you just going to call me a fanboy again?

1332783608_sarkozy_laugh.gif

Using youtube for graphics comparison is so ridiculous that Nicolas Sarkozy is laughing,even though he lost the elections.

dj_pulserfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dj_pulserfan
Member since 2007 • 3102 Posts

The games look good enough.

Much more important (to me) is having unique experiences like Journey, that are closer to having a religious experience than playing a game.

And RDR was amazing, I feel sorry for anybody who didn't get to play it because of being a graphics snob.

Some of the best games ever are old games that look graphically ugly.

Like Deus Ex, Age of Empires, WoW etc.

ZombieKiller7

Are you f*cking nuts? Journey? There are plenty of pretentious art games that don't cost you money.

RDR was OK though, not something to really rush out of your way for and is better experienced trough memory than actually playing TBH.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

Sometimes I think many of these hermits never played any of the truely impressive looking console games of this generation and just blindly believe that consoles are generations behind (graphicslly, i know technically a PC can have conponents that are far beyond what consoles use).

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

ShadowMoses = village idiotSaltyMeatballs

Pretty much.

518ybbgvxslsx500.jpg

So why bother trying?

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="Am_Confucius"] You aren't keeping it a secret that you are a total fanboy.call_of_duty_10

First Uncharted 3:

Now Witcher 2 PC:

Now Killzone 3:

Now Crysis 2 PC:

Crysis 2 PC Gameplay HD

Using youtube for graphics comparison is so ridiculous that Nicolas Sarkozy is laughing,even though he lost the elections.

Image don't work bro!

And the whole "oh it's youtube" excuse is hilarious. Nothing wrong with Youtube videos, all the ones I postede were in FULL HD, stop getting emotional and use logic. I proved PS3 can do great graphics too!

None of you guys countered ANY of my points, you just dance around and resort to name calling. I'll take that as a win for me I guess.

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Am_Confucius
DerpShadowMoses900
Youtube-videos for comparisions? I expected better from you. Sure, the PS3 can pull of decent graphics, as well as the 360. The main weakness is that ifyou want a good-looking game for consoles, it pretty much needs to be capped at 30FPS. Also, minimal differences? I guess it's something that needs to be experienced, or you have bad eyesight. I liked UC2, and it looked good. But it didn't come close to PC-quality, and it's capped at 30FPS, which is horrible.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]DerpAm_Confucius
Youtube-videos for comparisions? I expected better from you. Sure, the PS3 can pull of decent graphics, as well as the 360. The main weakness is that ifyou want a good-looking game for consoles, it pretty much needs to be capped at 30FPS. Also, minimal differences? I guess it's something that needs to be experienced, or you have bad eyesight. I liked UC2, and it looked good. But it didn't come close to PC-quality, and it's capped at 30FPS, which is horrible.

Guess you can't admit it. Something must be wrong with your eyes if you think there is a massive differnence in that comparison I did. Nothing wrong with Youtube, they were all full HD and everything.

Someone is just mad because they spent all that money and time doing upgrades for better graphcis while there was a console that could do them at a much cheaper price and without hassel.

You guys have not countered ANY of my points. Why can't you do that? You can't so that means I win.

dj_pulserfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dj_pulserfan

[QUOTE="Am_Confucius"][QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

ShadowMoses900

First Uncharted 3:

Now Witcher 2 PC:

Now Killzone 3:

Now Crysis 2 PC:

Crysis 2 PC Gameplay HD

Don't lie to yourself. Killzone 2/3 at best resemble Doom 3 maxed out years ago.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ShadowMoses900

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="Am_Confucius"] You aren't keeping it a secret that you are a total fanboy.dj_pulserfan

First Uncharted 3:

Now Witcher 2 PC:

Now Killzone 3:

Now Crysis 2 PC:

Crysis 2 PC Gameplay HD

Don't lie to yourself. Killzone 2/3 at best resemble Doom 3 maxed out years ago.

Sounds like your the one who is lying to himself bro.

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

[QUOTE="call_of_duty_10"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

First Uncharted 3:

Now Witcher 2 PC:

Now Killzone 3:

Now Crysis 2 PC:

Crysis 2 PC Gameplay HD

ShadowMoses900

Image don't work bro!

And the whole "oh it's youtube" excuse is hilarious. Nothing wrong with Youtube videos, all the ones I postede were in FULL HD, stop getting emotional and use logic. I proved PS3 can do great graphics too!

None of you guys countered ANY of my points, you just dance around and resort to name calling. I'll take that as a win for me I guess.

So you used full HD videos.

Doesn't change the fact that they are compressed like a black hole. Here's an ACTUAL comparison:

505108-uncharted-2-among-thieves-playsta

243ng4o.jpg

reverse1332783608sarkoz.gif

You should give up now.Sarkozy is laughing at you,and he's a loser.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

...i don't give a crap, I still turn on my ps2 from time to time and play old games that i didn't get a chance to get too.

dj_pulserfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dj_pulserfan

[QUOTE="dj_pulserfan"][QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

First Uncharted 3:

Now Witcher 2 PC:

Now Killzone 3:

Now Crysis 2 PC:

Crysis 2 PC Gameplay HD

ShadowMoses900

k

doom3wall.jpg

Killzone2_screenshot_13.jpg

killzone-2-20070824053740748.jpg

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

[QUOTE="dj_pulserfan"] Don't lie to yourself. Killzone 2/3 at best resemble Doom 3 maxed out years ago.dj_pulserfan

k

doom3wall.jpg

Lol, Doom3 actually looks better.

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Am_Confucius

[QUOTE="Am_Confucius"][QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]DerpShadowMoses900

Guess you can't admit it. Something must be wrong with your eyes if you think there is a massive differnence in that comparison I did. Nothing wrong with Youtube, they were all full HD and everything.

Someone is just mad because they spent all that money and time doing upgrades for better graphcis while there was a console that could do them at a much cheaper price and without hassel.

You guys have not countered ANY of my points. Why can't you do that? You can't so that means I win.

Points? Your "points" so far have been "I can't see an difference".
dj_pulserfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dj_pulserfan

[QUOTE="dj_pulserfan"]

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

topgunmv

k

doom3wall.jpg

Lol, Doom3 actually looks better.

Lol I could just smudge some BLUR all over the screen too.