Do you want a Fallout 4 talking protagonist in the next Elder Scrolls?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Do you want a Fallout 4 talking protagonist in the next Elder Scrolls? (36 votes)

Ye 19%
ne 81%

The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim is both considered one of the GREATEST rpg's of all time and one of the most INFLUENTIAL.

However, with Fallout 4 Bethesda appeared to be retroactively influenced by the now disgraced has-been Bioware.

Streamlined text options accommodated a third-person view of a Shepard like character with a far more fixed personality and set of simplified dialogue options.

Would we like to see this in the the upcoming next-generation Elder Scrolls? Will this be a thing?

-

Personally I see modding itself as a form of role-play, the game becomes a tool to customize as far as users can take it creating whatever story (and Skyrim has weird messed up shit) fits their imagination. I find this shit counter-productive to that. But Bethesda are dumb shits, so I wouldn't put it past them.

• 
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

seeing the tech they use for deep fake vids the day when games have voice customisation can't be too far away. would that be a micro(ish)transaction people would pay for? an extra fee if you have a mic and an internet connection to send some voice recordings to the cloud and it'll download the transcript in your voice or any number of other pre made ones to suit your character? dunno, maybe.

anyway, until that kind of thing arrives, any games with a custom character creator should come with the voice as optional, particularly an elder scrolls game with the number of different character types you can choose

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69477 Posts

I am fine with voice acting for the protagonist. You can always just fallback to subtitles.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

Yes. 100%.

As long as the story and character is great, I would rather have a talking character than a silent protagonist.

Give me Kratos, Snake or Geralt instead of mute losers like Link and the hipster from Half Life. Those “characters” suck balls.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#5  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Meh. Bethesda can knock themselves out with that. I play their open-world RPGs to wonder around exploring the map. The conversation system has very little effect on that kind of game.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pedro  Online

@madrocketeer: Then a "Don't care option" should be added to the poll.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#7  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts
@Pedro said:

@madrocketeer: Then a "Don't care option" should be added to the poll.

Yeah, probably.

In fact, I'd say "don't care" should be an option for all polls, but meh on that as well.

Don't care about "don't care." Don'tcareception. A tesseract of apathy.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I hate talking protagonists in those kinds of games. Breaks the immersion for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#9 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I kind of like silent protagonists, idk lol.

Like SOedipus says, it can break immersion for me. Especially true in a game where you can be all these different fantasy races with different backgrounds and personalities.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Nah. Why have a voiced protagonist in a game that let's you make whatever type of character you want? It just doesn't work and ends up hurting the experience more than it helps.

FO4 story was lame. I played through the story about half-way, then I modded out the main story bits about the son and got rid of the player voice acting. Then proceed to play Fallout Colony Simulator for a good several hundred hours. It was fun. Still never 'beat' the game. I'm sure the ending is lame too.

Bethesda have proved that they suck at strong narratives. The best Elder Scrolls game was Morrowind which basically directed you away from its main story, which is why it felt so cool when you started putting it together for yourself.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

Absolutely not. Bethesda dialogue is dumb enough silent, let alone in audio form.

@uninspiredcup: However, with Fallout 4 Bethesda appeared to be retroactively influenced by the now disgraced has-been Bioware.

Streamlined text options accommodated a third-person view of a Shepard like character with a far more fixed personality and set of simplified dialogue options.

Never felt the need to play FO4 after 3, but this sounds terrible. Awful Bethesda writing, vocalized as a specific personality in a specific voice for a character that YOU supposedly made? No thanks.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

**** no. Video game voice actors, for the most part, are absolute shit. I'd rather imagine for myself what my character sounds like, especially in an RPG where you make your character yourself; I don;t want a "one voice fits all" approach to my character, where my elf sounds like an orc who sounds like a Breton and so on.

@SOedipus said:

I hate talking protagonists in those kinds of games. Breaks the immersion for me.

Ditto. I try not to judge people who think the opposite, but I can't help but think if you need a talking playable character you're a simpleton. Not that there is anything wrong with Geralt, Commander Shepard, and so on, I just think it's better leaving it up to the player's imagination.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11281 Posts

I always prefer a ready-made, properly voice-acted protagonist. The Witcher 3, Mass Effect 2 (I guess it applies to the entire of those franchises) with Geralt & Shephard are much preferred. Same with Final Fantasy, Tidus, Noctis, Cloud etc I would pick those characters over anything I can customise with a shitty slider lol

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34608 Posts

A big fat no.

Having a character forced upon you by the developers in a game that's supposed to let you create your own character is complete poop. Before I uninstalled Fallout 4 as soon as I began seeing how lazily made and boring it is, I remember being annoyed by my character saying things I don't want him to say.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56098 Posts

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

A no for me. Games like Fallout and TES doesn't need voiced main character. Also I really hated it when you pick an option like in Mass Effect or Fallout 4, they sounded different than what you thought the option gonna be.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#18 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@uninspiredcup:

Looking at the poll now and I'm honestly surprised at the results. How could you not WANT your character to have a voice?! It's like, the most obvious thing in modern rpg gaming! That was probably the best thing Bethesda brought to Fallout 4. And one of the reasons why I enjoyed it more than Fallout 3.

I get that some people have this voice in their minds when they're making up characters but at some point, you're going to at least want to hear them talk. It's just so weird to not have a voiced player character in this day and age. Unless, of course, it's a character like Link who just doesn't talk at all.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nepu7supastar7

@Pedro:

It would also be nice to have at least as an option. Like, you can choose your character to have a voice or you can choose to just have subtitles. Sword Art Online had a good idea with that.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@uninspiredcup:

Looking at the poll now and I'm honestly surprised at the results. How could you not WANT your character to have a voice?! It's like, the most obvious thing in modern rpg gaming! That was probably the best thing Bethesda brought to Fallout 4. And one of the reasons why I enjoyed it more than Fallout 3.

I get that some people have this voice in their minds when they're making up characters but at some point, you're going to at least want to hear them talk. It's just so weird to not have a voiced player character in this day and age. Unless, of course, it's a character like Link who just doesn't talk at all.

Because it is immersion breaking as hell. WHen you create your own character, you probably have a set tone you imagine FOR that character. When your character speaks for you, and breaks not only the voice but general tone, immersion goes down the toilet.

And don't even get me started on Dialogue Wheels, or Vague response lists.

There is a reason one of the most popular mods for Fallout 4 is one that reverts the dialogue to previous games.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nepu7supastar7

@Maroxad:

I get your reasons I just hope that my opinion is in the majority. I don't wanna go back to voiceless mc's for future Fallout and Elder Scroll-ish games. BTW, what's the name of the mod you were talking about for Fallout 4?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@Maroxad:

I get your reasons I just hope that my opinion is in the majority. I don't wanna go back to voiceless mc's for future Fallout and Elder Scroll-ish games. BTW, what's the name of the mod you were talking about for Fallout 4?

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/27216

2 of the most notable features of this mod is the removal of the dialogue wheel in favor of a tree. Another of its key features is to mute the protagonist.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#23 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

I would love to have a game like this where you do not need to exhaust all dialogue options. Playing ES or Witcher and needing to talk to everyone just drags. I enjoy games where the NPCs say what they need to say in passing, and you either did what they wanted you to do to trigger the next interaction or you didnt.

You can still get choice and consequence here without having a robust dialogue menu. The main character doesnt need to say a word IMO.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

It was a fun experiment in 4, but no... limits our options.

For something like Mass Effect or Witcher, it's fine. Fallout or Elder Scrolls? No...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pedro  Online

@Cloud_imperium said:

That feels more like Nintendo dialogue options.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58957 Posts

@Pedro said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

That feels more like Nintendo dialogue options.

True, they have an entire game series focused on animal cruelty.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#28  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

No. I'd rather them focus on better writing. I think for these type of RPG's, you potentially gain more depth & immersion out of them without voice acting for the main character (e.g. more dialogue options, context, potentially less linear), than with it (e.g. less choices, more linear, higher budget).

Based on what I've noticed throughout the years at least..

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8471 Posts

Don't care either way. I tried to give a chance to Bethesda RGPs a couple of times and always quit after an hour or so. They suck at developing games and Todd Howard is a hack like Kojima.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#30 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Only if it's Todd Howard's voice so I can smash my head so fast against the wall that I travel through the speed of light.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

No. It never made sense for these kinds of games. I guess they got influenced by Mass Effect and BioWare games somewhere along the way.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I'd rather they go back to a silent protagonist. It makes more sense for games like TES where you create your own character and role play as whoever you want to be.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#33  Edited By Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I have no faith in ES6 at all. I just don't like the trend of games Bethesda has been making.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#34 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

To answer the question? Keep it silent. Works for me in these massive RPGs.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#37 elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts

there's been plenty of games with character creation that gave a set of voices to choose from. i could see them adding this as an option in an Elder Scrolls title but hopefully they would also give the option to choose neither.

@saltslasher said:

This is what SW has come to, posts like this?

this belongs in the Games Discussion section, not System Wars. the entire Gamespot forum section has become an un-moderated mess of off-topic discussions and off-section threads. just get used to it.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

All i want is for them to use an engine that isn't from 1977.