Do you think/hope the Kojima/Sony Silent Hill revival is true?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

Apparently, Jaffe isn't a fan of a Kojima directed Silent Hill. I for one would love it, as PT was an incredible experience. But maybe times have passed and Kojima should move on. What do you think, SW? Do you think/hope the Kojima/Sony Silent Hill revival is true?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Of course i'd want to see that. It would be better than the original 2. One thing that bothers me from all Kojima titles is the dumbshit he has in all his games. Such as cringy characters saying stupid shit that's supposed to be funny, but isn't. Peeing on mushrooms and all of this crap, i want it removed. If he is rebooting SH, i want the game to have a serious tone with zero fluff.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50557 Posts

@hardwenzen: You really were right about the thumbnails

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hardwenzen

@Chutebox said:

@hardwenzen: You really were right about the thumbnails

oof

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Kind of skipped through it but seemed he objects more to an arrangement where Konami might interfere too much in it, and it's something Sony or Kojima won't have control going forward. He'd rather just see Kojima and Sony make a spiritual successor, something they can build on going forward.

I agree, unless they can buy out Konami's stake in the series then Kojima and/or Sony should put it in their rear view and build something new.

Anyhow, does this rumor have more merit than the many spitballed rumors we saw these last few months? Rumors that Abandoned was Silent Hill, rumors that Blooper Team is working on Silent Hill, this just seems like another, more plausible but still just another rumor.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#6 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

Heck no,I want a Silent Hill also on the XSX. Exclusively is not a good thing.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

I would love to see a Kojima Silent Hill game. I really dig all the crazy **** that he puts into his games.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Isn't Silent Hill (the good ones) renowned for their minimalistic symbolic approach>

I don't get why people are fapping furiously at the idea of Hideo Konami sempia son taking the helm.

Someone like Frictional Games would be more suited.

At least that's how I see it.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Yeah, we want to see Kojima at his best. Who wouldn't?

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Silent Hill has never been my thing but I'll be happy for the fans if it happens.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Team Silent is gone. Kojima is a hack. So, no.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

Didn’t MS and Kojima sign some sort of MOU to make something, so be careful what you wish for, if there’s an exclusivity deal, it might just be MS/Kojima.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11278 Posts

Not a fan of Silent Hill games, but if there is any developer who could make a 10/10 horror game it would be Kojima.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

@Telekill said:

Silent Hill has never been my thing but I'll be happy for the fans if it happens.

I'm surprised since you like old school Resident Evil games.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

**** Kojima, he's washed up.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hardwenzen

He better not have Doritos Pope in the game. A celeb that can't act should stay far away from the game.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#18 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

This is from Gematsu right? probably around 80% beliver. Bloomberg, VGC and Gematsu is pretty good at leaking stuff.

Anyhow seems like a great opportunity for PR from Sony.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Don't Konami own SIlent Hill ip? So how would they allow Kojima to use the ip? Also, I'm not sure Konami are into Kojima's weird Sony fetish.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Of course i'd want to see that. It would be better than the original 2. One thing that bothers me from all Kojima titles is the dumbshit he has in all his games. Such as cringy characters saying stupid shit that's supposed to be funny, but isn't. Peeing on mushrooms and all of this crap, i want it removed. If he is rebooting SH, i want the game to have a serious tone with zero fluff.

Yep, Agree fully with this. I want to love the MGS series but there is so much stupid stuff in every one of the games that it puts some cringe into each one. MGS 4 with Johnny pooping his pants and then turning into some hero for Meryl later on was weird. It makes it hard to be fully immersed into these games when I'm trying to play as the game has a certain tone for most of the game and Snake asks so many questions, I feel like he is the world's dumbest spy soldier ever.

Yep, Splinter Cell did it better.

However, if Kojima was going to try anything again with Silent Hill and go back to the P.T. type of game he would have done, I am fully on board. That was going to be something amazing.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By uninspiredcup

This odd MGS/Splinter Cell comparison seems to always crop up now. I get it to a degree, both stealth games and Splinter Cell exists because of Metal Gear Solid.

Splinter Cell (the good ones), like the early Ghost Recon and Rainbow 6 games (the good ones), are heavily based on a sense of realism with plot scenarios that could potentially happen.

That, alongside slower methodical gameplay that focused "using your brain" was specifically the appeal, before Ubisoft shat all over it to appeal to broz wanting to blast some foolz.

Metal Gear Solid is basically an anime heavily influenced by the west. Kojima faps to Western shit like a reverrse weeb. A Beew. Being stupid is part of the fun. It's not aiming for realistic.

Argued before as well, Splinter Cell gameplay wise (again the originals) are much closer to Thief. Aesthetically it looks closer to Metal Gear Solid, has third person and obligatory interrogations, but the gameplay like Thief is primarily about navigating and exploring levels using gadgets combined with everything in it a incremental balance of light and sound. 98% say probably aren't in combat but moving around like a snail trying to find shit. Sure, get the shitty forced action sequence, but these always felt out of place.

poe13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By poe13
Member since 2005 • 1441 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Sure, I get what you are saying. But the problem is that the MGS games set this weird realistic tone in their games and then stupid anime shit or just stupid shit in general pops up here and there in the games to make me go "jeez! Come on!" and roll my eyes or sigh in exasperation.

If the tone was similar to that of say Scarlet Nexus, Bayonetta, or Astral Chain, I could maybe forgive Metal Gear Solid. But I just can't get past some of the silly, ridiculous nonsense that takes me out of a supposedly-realistic, grim, spy vibe to straight cartoon like having a monkey burping from drinking soda in MGS4 or Otacon being a total crying wimp throughout the series.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By uninspiredcup

@poe13: Honestly, it's one of the main appealing things.

Get le_scholar assholes claiming Kojima predicted bla bla bla, big brain game when in reality it's a clusterfuck throwing ideas into a messy pot because they sound important. And he quintessentially, is up his own asshole. All of this shit probably ripped off from watching the Xfiles, let's be honest.

But again, (and I understand why it would be a turn off) that's kind of the appeal. It's a melting pot of different stuff that's tonally all over the place.

When I pick up shit like Assassin's Creed, aside from being shite, you know what you're getting. Exact same shit from A-Z, exact same shit from game to game. It's the video game equivalent of gruel, across most Ubisoft titles.

In Metal Gear Solid, you can go practically hour to hour with some weird unpredictable shit happening.

Even climbing a ladder, one of the most boring things you can do in a game, something Bethesda purposefully omit (because they are lazy), becomes a memorable sequence specifically because of the emphasized monotony.

But yea, overall I do prefer the tone of Tom Clancy games, and miss them. Like, really, really miss them and hate what Ubisoft done to the franchise. But don't really compare them in that way.

The later Splinter Cell stuff became super cringy as well. This shit here is just fucking awful. Like a 13 year old made it.

Loading Video...
Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Loading Video...

I was very excited for this trailer as child. until they reveal the gameplay and my hype was down.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Isn't Silent Hill (the good ones) renowned for their minimalistic symbolic approach>

I don't get why people are fapping furiously at the idea of Hideo Konami sempia son taking the helm.

Someone like Frictional Games would be more suited.

At least that's how I see it.

I keep saying the same thing. Kojima has no idea what made original Silent Hill good games. I mean how could anyone think Kojima will do this justice going by P.T. which is just full of jump scares - a complete opposite of original Silent Hill games. Most people hyping these gaes probably have never played a Silent Hill game or the later ones.

Nevertheless, not gonna happen so all's good.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

A couple people from Team Silent now work for his studio, so it could be good if true. The problem is Kojima himself.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I love the Silent Hill games. I'd like to see new ones whether Kojima is involved or not. By the sound of it they want to revive the franchise so give a project to Kojima if you must and also give one to another dev I mean there's plenty of room for multiple games with this franchise there's no reason to just put Kojima at the helm and call it good.

Silent Hill is exactly the kind of franchise that would benefit greatly from modern tech. No more 'the lock seems to be broken' on every friggin door in the game lol. So yeah, someone with a clue please make the damned games, I don't care who.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lamprey263

Back to what Jaffe pointed out, there's choices:

(1) Kojima and Sony pay Konami a bunch of money to license it for just a single game, and they have no further control of series going forward, and it's a big hassle making sequels, and there's the possibility Konami interferes with the development.

(2) Sony and Kojima collaborate on a spiritual successor that they control, that they can build up and make sequels to and not have to worry about Konami interfering in its development, and they can put money to better use as they don't have to pay Konami a ransom to license.

For me, the idea of Sony and Kojima making their own thing sounds better to me. It can be a shameless copy of Silent Hill and I'd be okay with that, as long as it's different enough to insulate them legally, I say go for it. I feel people want Kojima making a horror game and he can do that.

Lots of other studios have done this successfully, like Techland moving between Dead Island and Dying Light, or the Platinum Games staff leaving Capcom and making Bayonetta, or Respawn leaving Activision to make Titanfall. Kojima can do it with Silent Hill.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Back to what Jaffe pointed out, there's choices:

(1) Kojima and Sony pay Konami a bunch of money to license it for just a single game, and they have no further control of series going forward, and it's a big hassle making sequels, and there's the possibility Konami interferes with the development.

(2) Sony and Kojima collaborate on a spiritual successor that they control, that they can build up and make sequels to and not have to worry about Konami interfering in its development, and they can put money to better use as they don't have to pay Konami a ransom to license.

For me, the idea of Sony and Kojima making their own thing sounds better to me. It can be a shameless copy of Silent Hill and I'd be okay with that, as long as it's different enough to insulate them legally, I say go for it. I feel people want Kojima making a horror game and he can do that.

Lots of other studios have done this successfully, like Techland moving between Dead Island and Dying Light, or the Platinum Games staff leaving Capcom and making Bayonetta, or Respawn leaving Activision to make Titanfall. Kojima can do it with Silent Hill.

If Kojima teamed up with Sony to make a Silent Hill spiritual successor he would have full artistic licence and would experiment wildly and come up with something so far removed from Silent Hill the point of the collaboration would be lost and possibly result in something quite absurd.

In other words, in this scenario I think the last thing Silent Hill fans could expect would be anything remotely like Silent Hill.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#30 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

If you hate Silent Hill, Kojima is the right person for the job.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lamprey263

@blueinheaven: I think that would depend on what they want to make, if you think Kojima with total creative freedom would stray off course, I mean, that's possible, but fault would be on Kojima there.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

Hope not Kojima is overrated but he can be a good director in some scenes, and in others the whole game is a cut scene

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Honestly I don't care who makes it. Kojima can't get enough of the smell of his own farts these days.