Do you think that Nintendo's core franchises would work better on other systems?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 insanejedi
Member since 2007 • 1738 Posts

Just a bit of food for thought here. I'm thinking that a lot of the "core" franchises nintendo has that target the people who've been with nintendo a long time (such as metroid, zelda, mario, starfox, and so on) would just have a lot more potential to do better on other systems. Like, just from a graphical standpoint, wouldn't it be amazing if Zelda was running at 1080p with HDR, bump mapping, and so on, or going Valkeria Chronicles or Prince of Persia giving super detailed cell shading with AA? Metroid with dynamic lighting and physics and also Dolby 5.1 surround sound? Smash Brothers with XBL features such as online leaderboards, truskill, DLC, voice chat, party system? Animal Crossing with achivements? The list goes on...

That being said, would it be worth it to give up whatever motion control that you can do in these games to have this potential?

VideoGameGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 VideoGameGuy
Member since 2002 • 7695 Posts
but these games are all amazing the way they are...i mean i can see where you're coming from though.
Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

Those games don't need more power to be fun, they work fine where they are.

But yeah, get rid of the motion control gimmick and a lot of haters would consider them.

bahamut_032

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4 bahamut_032
Member since 2004 • 10305 Posts

I don't see why we the gamers shouldn't be getting the best of both worlds, motion control and amazing graphics.

Why do we always have to settle for one or the other?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Nintendo doesn't seem to care about Metroid anymore, so giving the IP up to someone willing to make games with it would be better for us Metroid fans.
Republican11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Republican11
Member since 2008 • 1029 Posts

Just a bit of food for thought here. I'm thinking that a lot of the "core" franchises nintendo has that target the people who've been with nintendo a long time (such as metroid, zelda, mario, starfox, and so on) would just have a lot more potential to do better on other systems. Like, just from a graphical standpoint, wouldn't it be amazing if Zelda was running at 1080p with HDR, bump mapping, and so on, or going Valkeria Chronicles or Prince of Persia giving super detailed cell shading with AA? Metroid with dynamic lighting and physics and also Dolby 5.1 surround sound? Smash Brothers with XBL features such as online leaderboards, truskill, DLC, voice chat, party system? Animal Crossing with achivements? The list goes on...

That being said, would it be worth it to give up whatever motion control that you can do in these games to have this potential?

insanejedi

I would never have to buy another game again if that happened. Oh well, I can dream......

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts
Theoretically yes, but looking at how Banjo on the 360 turned out, no.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

Nintendo doesn't seem to care about Metroid anymore, so giving the IP up to someone willing to make games with it would be better for us Metroid fans.foxhound_fox

Didn't they just come out with Prime 3 last year :?

Hell I remember that we went a whole gen something like 8 years without a Metroid title until Prime 1 and now they don't care because its been over a year?

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 insanejedi
Theoretically yes, but looking at how Banjo on the 360 turned out, no.Couth_
What is that supposto mean?
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

insanejedi
The Wii can't do bump mapping? The Wii can do HDR.
Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Couth_
[QUOTE="Couth_"]Theoretically yes, but looking at how Banjo on the 360 turned out, no.insanejedi

Theoretically, it's safe to assume if nintendo put their game on a more powerful console or the PC, it would undoubtedly mean better graphics, but it could also make room for bigger, better, more ambitious projects. Rare had a chance to do that with one of the Nintendo's best platformers ever. And while it did have great graphics, they went in a completely different direction, that didn't sit well with a lot of gamers
Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
I don't really think so. The Wiimote brings a lot to the games and has made some of my favorite games even better. SMG would not be SMG without the pointer and motion control.
insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 insanejedi
[QUOTE="insanejedi"][QUOTE="Couth_"]Theoretically yes, but looking at how Banjo on the 360 turned out, no.Couth_

Theoretically, it's safe to assume if nintendo put their game on a more powerful console or the PC, it would undoubtedly mean better graphics, but it could also make room for bigger, better, more ambitious projects. Rare had a chance to do that with one of the Nintendo's best platformers ever. And while it did have great graphics, they went in a completely different direction, that didn't sit well with a lot of gamers

And all Rare does is sit and laugh at those kinds of people if you actually played Nuts and Bolts.
Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Couth_
[QUOTE="insanejedi"] And all Rare does is sit and laugh at those kinds of people if you actually played Nuts and Bolts.

Not many people played nuts and bolts. Who do you thinks laughing, them or Nintendo?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Didn't they just come out with Prime 3 last year :?

Hell I remember that we went a whole gen something like 8 years without a Metroid title until Prime 1 and now they don't care because its been over a year?

Blackbond

August 2007. And the last game before that was Echoes in late 2004 and Zero Mission in early 2004. Now that Retro has reinvigorated the series, Nintendo needs to step up the pace with releasing games. Hell, Fusion is still patiently awaiting its sequel... its coming up on 7 years.
St_muscat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 St_muscat
Member since 2007 • 4315 Posts
[QUOTE="Blackbond"]Didn't they just come out with Prime 3 last year :?

foxhound_fox

August 2007. And the last game before that was Echoes in late 2004 and Zero Mission in early 2004. Now that Retro has reinvigorated the series, Nintendo needs to step up the pace with releasing games. Hell, Fusion is still patiently awaiting its sequel... its coming up on 7 years.

Plus with Retro not making more Metorid games anymore, cos they wanted to move on and do something different instead of just pumping out Metorid games, we might have another Metroid drought again for like another 8 years or so, so I think foxhound_fox has every right to be worried about the Metroid Series.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

No way. I like how you talked about petty things and totally avoided the most important part of gaming...GAMEPLAY. What does 1080p, voice chat, achievements, bump mapping have to do with gameplay? Nothing. Nintendo has built their strong reputation on fundamentals. Thier first party games are all about that, and that's why people love them. Adding those superficial things would not improve upon them, but more than likely just throw them into the large sea of mediocrity along with the other 80% of blandness out there already.

All this gen I've heard so much about graphics, features, achievements, trophies, blu ray, hd-dvd, 1080p, XMB, streaming video, fmv, blah blah blah. Have the so-called-gamers forgotten about gameplay altogether this gen? So many disappointments wrapped in pretty clothing this generation and only a few gems.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
Their core franshises are good enough on the Wii, why release them on another system?
Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
Silly rabbit, Trix are for kids. Seriously though there is no doubt that they could graphically look better on other consoles. Thanks for pointing the obvious there. If you want to see these franchises with all of that jazz, just wait a few years. Though I personally don't care for all of that, Wii's graphics are enough. I'm satisfied graphically.
doobie1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 doobie1975
Member since 2003 • 2806 Posts
i dont know about another platform but SMG would of benifited from DLC. Id love to be able to download new planets and galaxies.
memphishigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 memphishigh
Member since 2006 • 269 Posts
Most of the N's big franchises have had the same story for years...so what brings people back to them is all the different ways to play...the competition couldn't move the control side of the games and the games are just fine with the graphics that they have so no, they wouldn't work better
Vanadium2k8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Vanadium2k8
Member since 2008 • 1605 Posts
My favourite Wii games made by Nintendo require motion controls (Warioland, Strikers, SMG), so no.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
god now if nintendo did not make them they would not have that spark of the divine that only nintendo can seem to put in games.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#24 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
The games don't need more power to be fun.
Menalque2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Menalque2
Member since 2007 • 2630 Posts

Ever since the N64, Nintendo sem to have revelled in placing absurd limitations on themselves. First they did it by making N64 games cartridge-based, then they made the Gamecube with a small disc format and no online functions, then the Wii with its last-gen hardware.

I guess all I can say is let Nintendo be Nintendo.

fbigent34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 fbigent34
Member since 2007 • 2389 Posts
acutally most nintendo system have been better grapchis than most console out there but that didn't work. and no it wouldn't :| grapchis screen size bump mapping is possible on wii it was on gamecube :roll: get better facts next time you post. the screen size and the grapchis are fine.
fbigent34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 fbigent34
Member since 2007 • 2389 Posts

Ever since the N64, Nintendo sem to have revelled in placing absurd limitations on themselves. First they did it by making N64 games cartridge-based, then they made the Gamecube with a small disc format and no online functions, then the Wii with its last-gen hardware.

I guess all I can say is let Nintendo be Nintendo.

Menalque2
Nintendo had online adapotr so there was somewhat online with gamecube. last gen hardware? are you seriously going to sit there and lie your throw teeth?
St_muscat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 St_muscat
Member since 2007 • 4315 Posts
My favourite Wii games made by Nintendo require motion controls (Warioland, Strikers, SMG), so no.Vanadium2k8
Well when talking about Strikers you mean barely have motion controls and even if it didn't it would still be fine without, then yeah. Plus to go along with the topic suggested by TC I think Strikers would have been better on another system because, the new controls didn't add anything much and in exchange for them we would have gotten better graphics and WAY better online portion, which if was there in the beginning I would still be playing now. But thanks to lackluster online I'm not, same thing could be said for SSBB, although I still play that, bad online or not. Mario kart would be better on another system, better graphics and a bit better online, but even as it stands it's online is great now Mario Karts but Xbox live or PSN could have made it a bit better with more options. Otherwsie franchise like Mario, Metorid, Zelda and WarioWare should all stay on Wii. Just play their Wii litterations and you'll see why.
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

other than having prettier visuals I think they'd be the same games...

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#30 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="Blackbond"]Didn't they just come out with Prime 3 last year :?

St_muscat

Plus with Retro not making more Metorid games anymore, cos they wanted to move on and do something different instead of just pumping out Metorid games, we might have another Metroid drought again for like another 8 years or so, so I think foxhound_fox has every right to be worried about the Metroid Series.

It's been less than 2 years since the last Metroid game. And frankly around that time I thought Metroid was starting to get a little whored out. In the span of a year and a half we had Metroid Prime Pinball, Hunters, and then finally Prime 3. It's fair to say the series deserved a bit of a rest. Yearly or bi-yearly sequels aren't necessary. Mario and Zelda don't get that their sequels that often. Why would Metroid? I'm sure Nintendo is looking around for a good developer to take over the series now that Retro has bowed out. They don't rush their big games (unless it's a Mario Party).