Do you think FFXIII affected FFXV potential sales?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Its pretty much common opinion FF XIII was a very disappointing game and many hated it, even prior FF fans. Now FF was always one of the biggest brands in the world and yet I dont see many people excited for XV wich, imho, looks fantastic, and yet it looks like many are still bashing it out of name only i.e. being called FF.

I now ask you this, based on the very little hype I see for FF XV: Do you think it'll flop commercially?

It looks like SE is betting lots and lots of money on this game going by visuals, scale, etc,etc, but I dont think it has the potential of surpassing the cost of development. I see barely no hype for it and JRPGs are less and less popular.

I think FF XIII and its sequels (that already sold poorly for FF games) were the final nail in FFs coffin. I cant help but think FF XIII ruined the FF brand

what do you think?

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

If it's good it will sell well. But there is going to be a lot less day 1ers

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

I didn't play FFXIII because I didn't like FFVII.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#4 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Not more than any number of games following disappointments, which is to say it didn't affect it much because gamers

1) are pansies at resisting their favorite series based on some b.s. principle

2) know one bad game does not a series make

3) usually stop giving a **** when it's been this long since the last entry

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

FF IX was the last truly great Final Fantasy game

The series has been on a steady, shitty downfall ever since.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50557 Posts

@frank_castle: They are trying way too hard to appeal to players outside of Japan. Not sure why. Fighting system was much better, they sold more copies, and the stories weren't complete shit then

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Of course it has.. FF is no where near as popular as it used to be. But that it isn't just FFXIII's fault, the entire FF franchise has been dropping in quality ever since the Square-Enix merger. SE even said themselves at one point that the FF brand has been greatly damaged, mostly due to the failure that that was FFXIV but they fail to realize or just don't want to admit it but it was more than that. No doubt FFXV will sell in the millions if it's a great game but I doubt we'll be seeing record breaking sales.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

@Chutebox said:

@frank_castle: They are trying way too hard to appeal to players outside of Japan. Not sure why. Fighting system was much better, they sold more copies, and the stories weren't complete shit then

Yep

And maybe I'm just old school, but I really hate that they got rid of the classic turn-based combat.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Hasn't each FF game sold less than the last mainline title. (maybe minus the mmos)?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50557 Posts

@frank_castle: Right with ya. I'll take that over any combat system

Avatar image for thecouchpotater
TheCouchPotater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheCouchPotater
Member since 2015 • 239 Posts

@frank_castle said:

FF IX was the last truly great Final Fantasy game

The series has been on a steady, shitty downfall ever since.

Yeah, pretty much. I watched a bit of a play through of the FF15 demo and was honestly dumbfounded by what I saw. These new FF games are FF in name only. I'm not sure who they are trying to appeal to with this stuff, but it is most definitely not me (or anyone I know). Too bad, because the early FF games were enjoyable.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

People hated FF12 with a passion when it came out and yet people still bought 13. I dont think much will change. Though of course people will bitch and moan afterwards. It is the way of the fandom. Me personally I like the 13 run. Did it need two sequels? NOPE,but still had fun with them. Also people will say the last great FF game was whatever one they liked last. I also feel saying FF13 ruined the series and put a nail in the coffin is beyond nonsensical.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

I think there's a ton of generation Xers who's just dying for some true FF magic and we'll continue to chase that dragon.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 finalfantasy94

@deadline-zero0 said:

Hasn't each FF game sold less than the last mainline title. (maybe minus the mmos)?

this is all I could find but info could be wrong. Top 5 selling FF

1. inal Fantasy VII (10 million, includes Final Fantasy VII International)
  2. Final Fantasy X (8.05 million - up to much more)
  3. Final Fantasy VIII (6 million - 8.15 milion till march 2003)
  4. Final Fantasy XIII (6.71 million, Includes ps3&360 versions)
  5. Final Fantasy XII (5.6 million approximately: 2.4 million in Japan, 1.7 million in US, 1.1 million in Europe; 5.2 million shipped)
commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

I feel like a lot of people are waiting for reviews and general fan reception. It's quite possible we may see a sharp increase in sales in the second week. Also, disgruntled fans have been swearing that Final Fantasy ? is Square's last chance.

out with the old, in with the new

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#17  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@finalfantasy94 said:
@deadline-zero0 said:

5. Final Fantasy XII (5.6 million approximately: 2.4 million in Japan, 1.7 million in US, 1.1 million in Europe; 5.2 million shipped)

If we add the sales of recent re-releases to those figures:

1. Final Fantasy VII (10.9 million, including Steam release)

3. Final Fantasy X (8.63 million, including HD Remaster)

2. Final Fantasy VIII (8.6 million, including Steam release)

4. Final Fantasy XIII (7.1 million, including Steam release)

5. Final Fantasy XII (5.6 million)

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@Jag85 said:
@finalfantasy94 said:
@deadline-zero0 said:

Seems a downward trend is infact happening, to some extend. Guess FFXV seeling 4-5 million might be right, specially with japan console gaming in downward trend aswell.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 finalfantasy94

@deadline-zero0 said:
@Jag85 said:
@finalfantasy94 said:
@deadline-zero0 said:

Seems a downward trend is infact happening, to some extend. Guess FFXV seeling 4-5 million might be right, specially with japan console gaming in downward trend aswell.

Thats the thing thing japan has become not as friendly with consoles. They are highly into mobiel and handheld and I think thats why you see some jpn companies pushing more towards that. Though I wonder why its become like that in jpn. I mean has it become harder for average jpn gamer to sit down and put in time with a game.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Tabata already ruined FFXV.

Things he changed for the worse:

• "Character Switching is gone, you only play Noctis now.
  • Blood seems to be gone, instead there is an oil like substance.
  • Combat is no longer like Kingdom Hearts. Details here.
  • World Map seems to be gone, now it seems to be a more western style open world.
  • The ability to equip all weapon types is gone, or at least vastly changed so it is not the same (guns and such are out).
  • Manual in combat weapon changing seems to have been replaced with decks.
  • Character switching Combos are gone(You can combo your attacks across character changes — that is, you can keep your combo going when you switch the character you’re currently controlling.)
  • Three member party, it is now four.
  • Hitting enemies with your car seems to be gone."

http://www.takuchat.com/changed-final-fantasy-xv/

But even after all that I was still interested in the game because of one thing and only one thing alone, the Romeo and Juliet aspect of the game. Noctis and Stella were supposed to be lovers, they were supposed to have the same kind of powers and they were supposed to fight each other because they were from opposing houses that were fighting over the last crystal... But now everything seems to be pointing out to Tabata removing Stella and thus making the game's story more shallow, linear and boring instead of the masterpiece that FF games are supposed to be.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/04/final-fantasy-xv-is-not-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-any-more-says-director/

And to make things worse... Tabata says that FFXV is not FF Versus XIII anymore. What a fucking disappointment after so many years. This is going to be another FFXIII, another shallow piece of shit only prettier now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

No, not really. I think it will still sell a great deal mainly because each Final Fantasy is a self-contained game with significant changes in each. I don't think XIII has any bearing on how well XV will sell.

@Gue1 said:

Tabata already ruined FFXV.

Things he changed for the worse:

• "Character Switching is gone, you only play Noctis now.
  • Blood seems to be gone, instead there is an oil like substance.
  • Combat is no longer like Kingdom Hearts. Details here.
  • World Map seems to be gone, now it seems to be a more western style open world.
  • The ability to equip all weapon types is gone, or at least vastly changed so it is not the same (guns and such are out).
  • Manual in combat weapon changing seems to have been replaced with decks.
  • Character switching Combos are gone(You can combo your attacks across character changes — that is, you can keep your combo going when you switch the character you’re currently controlling.)
  • Three member party, it is now four.
  • Hitting enemies with your car seems to be gone."

http://www.takuchat.com/changed-final-fantasy-xv/

But even after all that I was still interested in the game because of one thing and only one thing alone, the Romeo and Juliet aspect of the game. Noctis and Stella were supposed to be lovers, they were supposed to have the same kind of powers and they were supposed to fight each other because they were from opposing houses that were fighting over the last crystal... But now everything seems to be pointing out to Tabata removing Stella and thus making the game's story more shallow, linear and boring instead of the masterpiece that FF games are supposed to be.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/04/final-fantasy-xv-is-not-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-any-more-says-director/

And to make things worse... Tabata says that FFXV is not FF Versus XIII anymore. What a fucking disappointment after so many years. This is going to be another FFXIII, another shallow piece of shit only prettier now.

I can't tell if this a parody post or you're genuinely upset.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Nope. People that actually play (instead of whine on the internet about) Final Fantasy know each game can depart radically from its predecessor. There are entries that I liked more or less than others but it's pointless to use an earlier entry to hype the next.

The two big things you know you're getting from a FF is a lengthy JRPG campaign, and high production values (and Chocobos). No matter how someone who actually played (instead of just whined on the internet about) XIII, they still know to expect those going forward.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#23  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts
@deadline-zero0 said:
@Jag85 said:
@finalfantasy94 said:
@deadline-zero0 said:

If we re-arranged it in chronological order...

• Final Fantasy VII (10.9 million, including Steam release)
  • Final Fantasy VIII (8.6 million, including Steam release)
  • Final Fantasy IX (5.3 million)
  • Final Fantasy X (8.63 million, including HD Remaster)
  • Final Fantasy XII (5.6 million)
  • Final Fantasy XIII (7.1 million, including Steam release)

...It seems like the sales keep fluctuating, with sales increasing, then decreasing, then increasing, etc.

I can't really predict how much FFXV would sell. Based on previous sales patterns, I'd estimate around 5-6 million for FFXV. But then again, Square Enix did exceed expectations with the Tomb Raider reboot selling 8.5 million, thanks to good reviews, word of mouth, marketing, and re-releases. If FFXV manages to live up to expectations, it could end up approaching similar numbers to Tomb Raider... or if it doesn't, it could end up selling less than any FF game since FFVII.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I played FFXIII and XIII-2 and I liked both. Maybe I would even give Lighting Returns a try, that's if I were still buying last gen games. No, FFXV will do fine, just look at how they were able to make people pay $20-30 more than they should have for a late 4 year old port of a PSP game just to play the FFXV demo should be indicative enough of how much it won't hurt FFXV sales. So. despite almost a decade in development people still haven't given up hope for it.

I do, however, think a certain element in the hype is no longer there, and a big one at that, and that's the buzz it was getting for previously being a Sony exclusive title. Yes, if FFXIII games have truly hurt FFXV's success potention over minor but significant factor, it'd be for that and that alone.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

You have a point certainly, XIII has turned a lot of people off. For many it was an unquestioning day one franchise and now it wont be. What a pile of excrement that game is. Like being on an elevator. And what doesn't help is, they went and released two sequels of the most unloved main Final Fantasy ever. Too stubborn to admit failure.

That said, at the end of the day gamers will play anything that appeals to them, and all Square have to do is to turn it around and release a good game next time. I see many of the bugbears of the last game have been directly addressed.