Do you tend to buy big games or small games more?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Do you tend to buy big games or small games more? (40 votes)

AAA (£44 - £70) 38%
£5 - 20 range 63%

Hello. Noticed not really buying AAA games any more. Think the last one purchased was Resident Evil 8, which was a fucking mess of a port.

Looking at it, overwhelmingly moved away from AAA games picking up games in the £5 - £20 range on Steam and probably going to stay that way for the most part.

Do you, a person, predominantly buy the AAA £70 overpriced movie games? Or are you a hipster buying the smaller shitty pixel art games where they are all metroidvania clones and pretentious art shit?

Nightmare Sony game
Nightmare Sony game

• 
DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts

I'll take what Pedro said a long time ago. A game is a game. Indie, AA, AAA, whatever. If it's a game that catches my fancy, I'll buy it. In other words, don't think of AAA or Indie, just play the damn game you think it's worth your money & time.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

I don't pay attention to what's big or small. If i like what i see, i get it. Thing is, many "small" games are just some unfinished kickstarter garbage, so its real hard to get excited for that. Yes, many AAA launch unfinished as well, but i ignore those (other than bf2042 lul).

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

My tastes definitely skew very heavily towards the AAA games. I’ll purchase the odd smaller game here and there with stuff like Minecraft but that’s very rare for me.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

I only buy a couple of AAA games a year, most of the time i'm buying smaller games or games on sale.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

Shamefully, I have to admit I'm buying and playing AAA games more.

Though in reality, I tend to play whatever game is a style and a genre I like:

Big blockbuster AAA live service open world grind = avoid

Small indie first person shooter = sign me up

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

I don’t buy small games at all. Matter of fact, I dislike small games.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I don't buy many AAA games any more either. Most of my purchases lately are interesting looking indie games on Steam.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8219 Posts

80% $5-20

20% Nintendo 1st party

I hardly buy games new any more. I just got a series X and got metro Exodus and Valhalla for like $30.

Went to a second hand thrift game store and loaded up on a bunch of older Xbox and 360 games this week.

Darkness 1&2 360

Fallout 3 360

Brutal legend 360

Splinter cell DA 360

Splinter Cell DA og Xbox (never played this version )

Sonic generations 360

Combined $43 dollars

Same thing on PC, instead of buying a game for $50-$60 bucks I'll just load up on sales.

BC on series X is nice

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts

I don't limit myself on what i purchase as a rule or anything. If a game interests me then i will get it.

Looking at my more recent purchases though i tend to be buying more AA and low end AAA games (in terms of production values) rather than Indies or higher end AAAs. They also tend to be more from Japan at the moment but i don't have any sort of inherent preference for Japanese games over western games. I think its because I am trying to make a vertical slice of a game like Xenoblade so I am note taking (Progress is very slow).

Monster hunter Rise, X4 expansion, F1 2020, Warhammer 3 total war, Neo: The world ends with you (nice gem that one) have been my recent-ish purchases.

On the horizon i am looking forward to getting Xenoblade 3, MH:R Sunbreak and CP2077 (ok that is a full blown AAA. new PC first though).

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

I am not counting, but typically small games go for cheap when big sales happen and I can end up getting a few at a time cheaper than say big AAA games.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

I buy what I like! Simple.

ZELDABOTW2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ZELDABOTW2
Member since 2021 • 664 Posts

AAA for sure most indie games just dont look interesting to me not to say there are not some I like. Kena is really good, fist is fantastic are the 2 I think of in the last year or so.

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3138 Posts

Smaller games by a wide margin. AAA-level games rarely hook me into finishing them, so I feel much better about spending only $10 on something I'll tap out of playing early. Plus: the mechanics and storytelling is usually much more interesting.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#15 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

I buy games that I think I will enjoy. Doesn't matter if it is AAA or small indie. I want to enjoy all kinds of games.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2134 Posts

AAA when they are in 5-20 range, lol. But I have way money indie games anyway, mostly from Humble bundles.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I buy whatever looks interesting to me. Fairly simple. If a big budget game catches my eye, I'll buy it. If a smaller indie game catches my eye, I'll buy it.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

90% of what I play is through Game Pass nowadays. I buy stuff I want to keep on my physical collection and I usually buy used or discounted. I did buy Elden Ring day 1 because I "had" to. Game Pass was a big change for me, I used to buy most shitty big releases day one just to have something to keep playing but I always kept and eye on good indie stuff too.

Usually by the end of the year my top games are a mix of big and small games.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

90% of what I play is through Game Pass nowadays. I buy stuff I want to keep on my physical collection and I usually buy used or discounted. I did buy Elden Ring day 1 because I "had" to. Game Pass was a big change for me, I used to buy most shitty big releases day one just to have something to keep playing but I always kept and eye on good indie stuff too.

Usually by the end of the year my top games are a mix of big and small games.

My average price now is about 30£, and there's a gap in the voting options.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10440 Posts

i'm a bargain hunter gamer. i work to the general idea that on console i wont pay more than £55 and on pc no more than £30, which usually means waiting for price drops / sales. i would like to buy more aaa games, i want to play games with high production values, but for the last several years i've been drifting away from the mainstream big budget as more and more of those games have adopted trends and characteristics and generally moved in a direction that's not for me

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34610 Posts

Small. You can get like 10 indie games for the price of one AAA game. And most AAA games are crap. If the indie game you bought was crap, no biggie, it was only 10 bucks anyway.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@Ibacai said:

I buy what I like! Simple.

:-P

Me too. :-)

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11281 Posts

AAA for sure

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2078 Posts

Games are very expensive where I live $120 for AAA on release. (On console that is). I try and wait a bit for discount.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

AAA but never for $70 on day 1.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

GamePass has me covered from AAAAA to ZZZZZ. lol :P

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 R4gn4r0k

@SecretPolice said:

Not a single Rare game in 4 years though :'(

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SecretPolice

@R4gn4r0k said:
@SecretPolice said:

Yeah but they've been delivery almost non stop yuuuuge DLC for Sea of mofo Thieves over those years. :P

Anyway, Dav brought up in the thread about the MS/Beth show in June, the possibility of seeing or hearing about Everwild. Now that would be so cool but I have my doubts. Look to have so much promise but since it's reveal, not so much. Hope Rare can deliver some magic in the end, fingers crossed.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Litchie

@SecretPolice said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@SecretPolice said:

Yeah but they've been delivery almost non stop yuuuuge DLC for Sea of mofo Thieves over those years. :P

Anyway, Dav brought up in the thread about the MS/Beth show in June, the possibility of seeing or hearing about Everwild. Now that would be so cool but I have my doubts. Look to have so much promise but since it's reveal, not so much. Hope Rare can deliver some magic in the end, fingers crossed.

Heard Rare didn't know what they wanted the game to be. :P

I like their imagination and creatitvity, but sometimes it can get in the way of development it seems..

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SecretPolice

@Litchie said:
@SecretPolice said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@SecretPolice said:

I like their imagination and creatitvity, but sometimes it can get in the way of development it seems..

Yes indeed, seems so weird they would get so far as to show what looked to be shaping up as a very cool game only to some time later say, well, we're not sure where we're going with this? How this happens these days with a major MS dev with hundreds of employees is a bit problematic.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

I have never in my life bought a £70 game, it should be a crime to pay that amount if it's the basic/standard edition. I tend to buy games when they're on sale... typically below £20.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 R4gn4r0k

@Litchie said:

It's true, I wasn't convinced by the concept of Sea of Thieves eiter. But in the end I'm happy it became such a huge success for them.

It really seems to be a live service game done right, and a dev making the game they wanted to make.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58306 Posts

I have all but given up on major franchises and AAA gaming in general. I Just don't like the marketing, the business ethics and practices, and the "all eggs in one basket" approach to development. All flash, little substance.

Small-scale development (whether independent or not) is where all the risk-taking, innovation, and emphasis on gameplay comes from these days. I've had more fun a handful of 10-30 dollar games recently than I have with years of 60+ dollar games.

Most of the games I try on Game Pass are from smaller studios. Not blockbusters or anything.

With that said, there are still some games from major publishers I will play because I know I like them. Games like Assassin's Creed, or Warcraft or Diablo, and....well, that's about it, actually. I can't remember the last time I bought an EA game.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58306 Posts
@Litchie said:
@SecretPolice said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@SecretPolice said:

I think you need non-creatives in certain management positions when developing games in order for a game to be finished. People that will say "no, we already have 30 enemy types, we don't need to spend three months developing two more" or something like that, idunno.

Star Citizen would be a brilliant game that redefines not just the niche genre of space sims, but also gaming as a whole, if it ever was released; but it is currently being managed by a creative perfectionist who won't release it until it's finished. I think the best thing that could happen to Star Citizen at this point is for the company to go bankrupt and for some angel investor with experience in management but a passion for games to buy them out and make them finish the game. Honestly if I was Chris Roberts, I think I might actually try to find someone to run my company for me. Dude needs to leave.

But if you keep adding stuff to a game and don't actually have a tangible goal as where to say "OK it is done"....the game will never be finished.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 R4gn4r0k

@mrbojangles25 said:

I think you need non-creatives in certain management positions when developing games in order for a game to be finished. People that will say "no, we already have 30 enemy types, we don't need to spend three months developing two more" or something like that, idunno.

Star Citizen would be a brilliant game that redefines not just the niche genre of space sims, but also gaming as a whole, if it ever was released; but it is currently being managed by a creative perfectionist who won't release it until it's finished. I think the best thing that could happen to Star Citizen at this point is for the company to go bankrupt and for some angel investor with experience in management but a passion for games to buy them out and make them finish the game. Honestly if I was Chris Roberts, I think I might actually try to find someone to run my company for me. Dude needs to leave.

But if you keep adding stuff to a game and don't actually have a tangible goal as where to say "OK it is done"....the game will never be finished.

yeah feature creep can be a terrible thing.

Like you summarized so well: I'd rather get a game that gets to a 1.0 version in the end, over a game that is insanely creative, has a million enemy types, vehicles and weapons, but never gets finished.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

I have all but given up on major franchises and AAA gaming in general. I Just don't like the marketing, the business ethics and practices, and the "all eggs in one basket" approach to development. All flash, little substance.

Small-scale development (whether independent or not) is where all the risk-taking, innovation, and emphasis on gameplay comes from these days. I've had more fun a handful of 10-30 dollar games recently than I have with years of 60+ dollar games.

This sums up my feelings pretty well.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

"Big" games take themselves way too seriously these days, and all I really want is to have some fun.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#39 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@davillain said:

I'll take what Pedro said a long time ago. A game is a game. Indie, AA, AAA, whatever. If it's a game that catches my fancy, I'll buy it. In other words, don't think of AAA or Indie, just play the damn game you think it's worth your money & time.

It's sad to think this has to be explained to people, that there are actually people out there that associate video games with some kind of caste system.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Really just depends on what's dropping in a given release window. Though lately yeah it's mostly been smaller games.

A lot of the full priced stuff, kinda routine in what I'll grab and what I'll avoid. Mostly settled on which companies/teams will likely deliver on something I enjoy. Rarely a surprise, can safely ignore the majority.

Smaller games can be more exciting in that regard, hear about a game for the first time, scoop it that day and be completely absorbed.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#41 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I prefer the smaller, niche titles mostly. My reasoning is if I end up enjoying the game, there's even more satisfaction by the end of it and the case may be that you've discovered some kind of a hidden gem. It's a novelty, in other words. I can't count the amount of times I've stumbled upon an Indie title on the Eshop for cheap and have just fallen in love with it.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#42 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

smaller.

More of them made these days+indie games have like soul, good gameplay, are willing to explore unique fucking ideas in established genres instead of the same mechanics everyone has.

For al the "hur dur indie games are the same"...........pls find me another platformer that plays like Celeste so I can play it.

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 734 Posts

It's a mix. I love roguelites and play a bunch of those but I also like the big AAA games as well. Including TLoU2 which I thought was amazing.

But in the last two years, I've found myself falling in love with some fantastic indies. Hades, Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, Void Bastards, ect. One of my favorite games I've played this year is Vampire Survivors which cost me a whopping $3.

I wouldn't want to give up the bigger games though. I won't necessarily dump $50-70 on them so much anymore, but I value those experiences as well. I just try to use the smaller games to bridge the gap until prices drop.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

Definitely a mix.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Litchie

@Jendeh: Check out Rogue Legacy 2 bruh. It's good.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9547 Posts

I buy both pretty frequently, but most commonly on the higher side.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#47 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

I just buy games that look interesting without giving the games budget much thought. If I do buy AAA games, I tend to wait for them to drop to indie game prices.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#48 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

With gamepass i try games first. If I really like it then I buy it.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22679 Posts

I buy all sorts but usually for budget prices. Elden ring was my one full price purchase this year. Everything else I'll use patience on. Works every time.