Do you know anyone who owns a Nintendo Wii?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 0

#1 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

Of the people you know who owns a Nintendo Wii, how many games do they buy a year?

My parents own a Nintendo Wii. The number of games they would buy is one per year. The only time the Wii is even on is during Thanksgiving or Christmas parties.

My point to this thread is to point out that Nintendo marketed the Wii to casual gamers. Casual gamers isn't sustainable as a business practice because these people buy one single game a year vs someone who is hardcore would buy 10 or more games a year. The reason Nintendo Wii U isnt selling as well as Nintendo Wii is because they got the mainstream market of people who wouldnt buy new electronics if it is clearly obsolete or its broken. I know nobody in my family who owns a Wii U.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Blast from the past topic/10

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Zzzzzzzz.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

I knew 3 that did. Me, my nephew Thomas, & my niece Anna. Non of us own 1 any more. We grew tired of them and all E-bayed them. We all play PS3 & PS4. I don't know any now.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Same here TC.

My parents bought a Wii and no games. Guess how many times it got turned?

I eventually talked my parents into letting me trade it in at the local equivalent of Gamestop for like $50 credit.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

everyone I know has a Wii but none of them have touched it in like more than 4 years.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

No way, the wii was most definitely aiming towards the hardcore crowd.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

@Jd1680a said:

Of the people you know who owns a Nintendo Wii, how many games do they buy a year?

My parents own a Nintendo Wii. The number of games they would buy is one per year. The only time the Wii is even on is during Thanksgiving or Christmas parties.

My point to this thread is to point out that Nintendo marketed the Wii to casual gamers. Casual gamers isn't sustainable as a business practice because these people buy one single game a year vs someone who is hardcore would buy 10 or more games a year. The reason Nintendo Wii U isnt selling as well as Nintendo Wii is because they got the mainstream market of people who wouldnt buy new electronics if it is clearly obsolete or its broken. I know nobody in my family who owns a Wii U.

I think that's why they went with a more gamer-centric controller, the gamepad, rather than Wiimote as the main control scheme. It was the combination of weak hardware, uninteresting gamepad, and alienation of third party support that made the console DOA. I've said in a different thread, that they should have bundled every Wii U a standard controller (called the 'pro' controller ... weird name, if you ask me) and a Wiimote. That would have been a real winner as it would cater to both gamers and casuals and as well help transform casuals into fans. The Wii did nothing to help retain casuals and turn them into gamers. As a consequence Wii became only a passing fad.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#10 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

I'm happy with my Wii. Got quite a backlog for it plus two of the best games of all time were played on it and were worth the price of the system by themselves.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#11  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I know quite a few actually and I don't think they are buying games for it anymore as they have moved to next gen. But they have what games they want for the Wii

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#12 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Blabadon said:

I'm happy with my Wii. Got quite a backlog for it plus two of the best games of all time were played on it and were worth the price of the system by themselves.

Yeah, I agree. If there is a game I really want to play, I'll but the system. I know there will be more, but all I need is one to get me involved.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

I bought a Wii and sold it within six months this was back in 2009.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

I own a Wii. We used to buy quite a few games per year until it obviously ceased to produce relevant games we wanted. I think last year might have been the last game we got, well my wife got it. One of those dance or Zumba games. I'm also more than a casual gamer, I own many platforms and I'll bust out the Wii once in a while, it's fun. Just like I'll bust out my Sega Dreamcast or TG16 once in a while. I think you're point is invalid.

However, this thread is like asking how many Sega Genesis games do you buy each year. It's a bit late son.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

The wii truly is a fad. Same story told over and over again. I played mine for 2 months then gave it too my sister who does not play it either.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#16 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

My aunt owns one, and I think that's the only person I know who owns one. I've got one with over 50 games for it.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

My mother owns one. I believe she still plays it for Wii Sports, DKCR and Rayman.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

The Wii did have a massive appeal to people I wouldn't call traditional gamers. Then again I knew some people who got Xbox 360s and PS3s that weren't big gamers either, and some that got a PS3 just for Blu-ray. The Wii did have a certain mass appeal, either due to it's motion controls, or it's gotta have fad status. As someone last gen that got all consoles, I still found the Wii to be a very satisfying console. It was cheap, got some 26 games at retail and still plan to acquire a few more, got like 20 GameCube games to play on it as well. And like another two dozen downloadable VC games. It's a gaming console any way you look at it. To say it only appeals to casuals is demeaning though, I think of most of what's popular in gaming as casual. The other consoles have games just as casual, they just have a lot more of them which is why I think gamers are more drawn to Nintendo's competition.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

@Jd1680a said:

100 million + people owned a wii. It sold a boat load of software and hat an attach rate of like 9. Frankly, I don't get people's issue with spreading all this misinformation. The general Wii owner played more open concept software. News at 11. WiiU is a failure. Also not new. However the reason the WiiU is failing is because it is not an appealing concept like the Wii was. That's all there is to it.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#20  Edited By Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

I'm not sure how many games I got for my Wii. Several dozen or so, I believe.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

@ActicEdge said:

However the reason the WiiU is failing is because it is not an appealing concept like the Wii was. That's all there is to it.

Actually, I'd say, among MANY OTHER reasons, the Wii U is doing bad because Nintendo dropped the Wii like a hot potato far too early. You do not stop supporting a successful console and move on to your new machine just like that. People like me, and I'm sure there are others out there, will wonder why they should spend money on something that won't get support after a few years.

The Gamecube, the original Xbox, yeah, that's understandable, but the Wii? The Wii should have gotten the same treatment as the NES, the SNES and the PS2: you have a good thing going; keep the ball rolling until you KNOW your big-ass following will be ready to move on to the next big thing you have waiting for them. Juggle both machines for a two or three years, release some inter-generational multiplatforms here and there. That's the proper way to treat something that sells. Nintendo got it with the NES, SNES and the DS. Hell, even the Gamecube got Twilight Princess as a swansong. Sony DEFINITELY got it right with all the three Playstations. Why they did that to the WIi... I just don't know. But it was dumb. Really dumb.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

I own a Wii, so, no.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Sister and her boyfriend own one and all they got i Wii sports they not buy games for it what i know.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#24 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

LOL Wii

LOL Outdated question

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

I do, and I know dozens of people that do.

Considering there's no support for it anymore, I'm curious why you're asking this question. People have moved on. This was a good question to ask 2 years ago.

The last Wii game I got was Skyward Sword. I know my nephew got Skylanders for it last Christmas, that was probably the last time I know somebody got a Wii game.

I do have a short backlog on it that I intend to finish this summer, and it's still used to play Wii sports, Smash, Kart, Mario, etc for local multiplayer.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

On 2 separate occasions I've had two separate people at work bring their Wii in. Kind of took me back, don't know why.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

I know lots of people who bough one for Wii Sports and never bought another game for it.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I know more people who own or have owned a Wii than I do who don't. Most of them don't buy a lot of games, though. The Wii U is definitely a more hardcore console than the Wii.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

im not friend with 8y girls and grannies.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I know me and I own one.

Life goes on.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31  Edited By DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I know a few people with one.

One is some relatives that have it mostly for wii sports and maro & Sonic at the olympics, another is a friend who only bought it for Brawl, and then another ho had a large chuck of what appeared to be shovelware titles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Only reason mine is still hooked up is because the TV in my room won't take composite for the GameCube proper.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#33 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I know a guy who has one. He bought some games for it but he prefered to get most ilegaly, if you know what I mean

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I own a Nintendo Wii and have a collection of games probably on par with my PS3.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I gave away my Wii because Wii U is 100% backwards compatible. I also know several avid gamers that own a Wii and have a great collection of Nintendo 1st party titles as well as some great niche games such as Muramassa, Madworld, No More Heroes, Boom Blox and Little King's Story

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

A lot of people I know own a Wii.I notice among them two groups of libraries. One had party-like games like Wiisports, Mario Olympic games, Carnival games or whatever it's called, stuff like that. The other group had like the dozen good games that the Wii had, the type of games system warriors would fap about in the meta game like Galaxy & 2, Skyward Sword, Brawl, Mario Kart, Xenogears stuff like that. Anyways I doubt most of them still use it, at most maybe they undust it when they use it again once a year or something like that, one group to play the party games like in Christmas eve, the day of the dead or some other family meeting like that and the other to maybe replay years later a game.

In the end the only good thing about the Wii was that Nintendo made a lot of money in a small period of hype, that's about it.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Are we back to 2007?

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

No, but I've seen one once. Once.

mooooo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mooooo99
Member since 2008 • 1252 Posts

old question.. i got one for free about a year ago.. i only use it to play zelda and my old gamecube games..

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Only people I know that own a wii are those that are really into the gaming/comic scene--types of people that really like to seek out all the best games that aren't really given any attention.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5882 Posts

I own a wii, but lost controllers and cant be bothered looking for them.

Kids used to like it but they play more the Xbox One than I do now.

MikeMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 MikeMoose
Member since 2005 • 3079 Posts

The Wii was aimed towards casual gamers? Wow, what a breath taking discovery.

And to answer your question, I know quite a few people who own Wii's.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I own one. Haven't used it for 4 years.