Do you care about getting good at games that you play?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38927 Posts

Do y'all care about "git gud" in games that you play? Doesn't necessarily have to be "sweating", and chase the #1 spot on the leaderboards, but just giving a damn about your personal improvement. Or do you mostly play "for fun", and trying to master a game that you enjoy is something that isn't on your radar?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56137 Posts

All I really care about is beating a hard boss, clearing the whole game, and calling it a day. This whole "git gud" doesn't mean a damn thing to me.

And as always, I play games just to have fun and talk about them. I'm more of an all-around type of gamer.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8425 Posts

I like challenging games and getting good enough to feel accomplished and do cool combos, but I don't particularly care about being the best player in the world. I just play for fun.

Like there's been times a boss continually throws my ass down the abyss of humility, or an impossible platforming feat - that I at long last beat by barely hanging in by a thread. In those instances, do I feel like a gaming God for barely beating something? No, but do I feel accomplished enough to say "I did it"? Yes, yes I do.

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1244 Posts

When I was younger. Not much anymore, but I still try my best on some other more casual multiplayer games.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4232 Posts

Only if they have replay value.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8857 Posts

@hardwenzen: I play SP for fun, but I care about my MP stats.

Qui-Gon-Milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Qui-Gon-Milk
Member since 2022 • 182 Posts

I use to when I played the original Modern Warfare back in school…use to be pretty good playing online with the boys. Prior to that it was Warcraft III & Frozen Throne…was addicted to that game just playing ladder matches and then some custom games to wind down…

Eventually got into League of Legends right around season 2 or whenever Xin Zhao was released I remember and played that competitively. Last game I played hardcore was when Rainbow Six Siege released…played that for a few years; hit my platinum in rank and eventually just called it quits on the game

Now I just play for fun and I don’t really play multiplayer games like that anymore…time to time I’ll hop on the no-build mode for Fortnite cause one of my closest friends plays it a lot on the Xbox and we cross-play together but that’s about it…enjoy going at my own pace with single-player games now

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Last_Lap  Online
Member since 2023 • 6087 Posts

I have some #1 times on WORLD racing leaderboards over a few racing games. But over the last 2yrs I haven't really tried for any #1 times, although I did get some.

As for other type of games, I use to play on the hardest level in every game. Not so much anymore except for if I love the game and plan to do multiple playthroughs.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

No. I don't try to become good at any game I play now. I used to speedrun sonic the hedgehog games during the seventh gen for fun and the only sonic game I ended up in the top 5 in was sonic and the secret rings. I gave the top player in the world for that game at the time a run for his money. I could never hold a world record for the individual missions for long in that game sadly. Their were a bunch of levels were I ended up a close second or even third. I was also pretty good at sonic heroes and unleashed(the wii version). It's a lot harder now for me to speedrun sonic the hedgehog games now because speedrunning them is less about knowing the level designs then pulling off some wild trick that involves great eye-hand coordination.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#11 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16005 Posts

Yeah, I try to get better. My reflexes get quicker and I'm able to concentrate better. Once in a while it's fun to play a game to blow stuff up. On the other hand, sometimes I want to play a game that forces me to think (like Fire Emblem).

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15927 Posts

It depends. for some games where ur gear is most important I tend to min max and get good. for difficulty based games I usually just put it on normal or easy I don't really spend the time to experiment much. just blast through the game then move on.

Edit: oh I used to grind to Diamond rank in Apex then I got bored. haven't returned to Apex since season 14 ended.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44219 Posts

On some level, sure. Generally am getting better at a game by simply playing it and progressing to completion. I’d like to get good enough to at least finish it once. Not above looking online though to cheese a boss that I may be having a particularly hard time with though. Pretty much just play for fun these days though. Haven’t tried to “master” a game in a very long time. That was when I was much younger and had more free time.

Also too many games these days that I want to play to just stick with one for the time needed to “master” it.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#14  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17812 Posts

I play to have fun first and foremost. I like to be competitive in MP games like Battlefield and NHL, but not at the expense of having fun. I find when I get too serious in them, worrying about wins/losses, K/D ratio, etc., it sucks the fun out. So, I don't let things get to that point. I will play them a lot and be good at them, but not take things too seriously.

As for SP games... never really cared about mastering games. I have so many games to play. Grinding the same game over and over has no appeal to me.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nirgal  Online
Member since 2019 • 690 Posts

Absolutely not.

I care about having fun, sharing time with the people I love, enjoying a good story and have been using them to learn languages on the side.

Getting good? No, I rather get good at things that benefit me.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7239 Posts

Fun is my number 1 priority but I usually pick up games I know I'll enjoy and I gradually get better at them.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23928 Posts

It depends.

On a game with depth, like Street Fighter, Modern Zelda, 3D Mario or Pizza Tower. I care about getting good.

In a shallow game like Elden Ring, BG3 or pretty much any RPG for that matter. I don't really care. Improving and getting good is not fun, when the skill ceiling is that low.

This is why Street Fighter having depth, that I will never achieve matters. Even if I will never get there, the fact that the skill ceiling is so high, makes it fun to improve.

Edit: For some games improving is pretty much all the fun. Take Ring Fit Adventure as an example.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3416 Posts

When I played CS yeah sure but that is the nature of the game, is such a high skill game that if you don't commit to it you're not having fun at all.

I play games the way they feel right to me but getting good at them is never on my radar. There's way too many games I want to play and stuff I want to do in the real world to spend too much time with just one thing. I might play games at the highest difficulty or at normal it depends, there's a place for challenge but looking at games just through their "game" side is very reductive, I see games as a form of entertainment and/or art and there's many sides to that. In fact I hate that the medium get stuck with such designation.

But I do have some rules when playing a game. I won't look for guides or any playthrough videos. I have a friend that loves souls games - like I do - but he always goes looking for best builds, weapons, boss guides, etc. That to me goes against my philosophy, because figuring out a game is the most important aspect of gaming, in fact of any medium. The moment of discovery is more important than getting good or optimising my play.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

Yeah, I think I do. I like learning from other players, and I love that experience of "Wow, how the hell did I manage that?", once the adrenaline gets flowing after someone's been destroying me all match. Like when you look back on a moment and genuinely can't figure out how you came up with a play. It's a good feeling and my biggest motivator in gaming.

Thing is, that takes time (a lot of time for me), to get to a point where control feels natural enough, so I usually don't bother, and generally I'll just bumble through to the finish line.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

I care about getting good. I want to feel like I know what all the tools in the game are for and how to use them. Sometimes that requires a bit of challenge.

I don’t care about getting great though. Then I rather move on to the next game.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2069 Posts

Depends, competitive MP I don't need to be the "best" but I like to be competitive but often I like to do that in a style I like not necessarily the meta, SP I do not care really, narrative RPG I'll set that to easy and enjoy the story, something like Elden Ring if I can smash an encounter by being prepped/overpowered I'll happily do that as well.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3059 Posts

Like others have said, it depends on the game. If it's competitive, I play to win. Something with leaderboards really pushes me to stay above my friends. Last year I got #1 on every level, with every character on W40k Kill Team for PS3, which basically means nothing, but I got so much exhilaration from doing it.

When it comes to min/max builds and stuff like that, I couldn't care less. Diablo 2 is one of my absolute favorite games of all time, and I love the feeling of finding some new piece of loot, but after a playthrough or two, I lose all interest. When it gets to the point where I'm just doing loops, I'm out. But I still love it. That's why I have to play through every couple years.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34621 Posts

Yes, I enjoy being good at the games I play. I don't care about being the best or fully "mastering" a game, that takes up too much time on just one game. But I do want to kick ass.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9555 Posts

In depends on the game. Some games I just want to have fun and screw around, but in other games (like online pvp) I try a little harder to improve my skills to help benefit my team. I don't always need to be the best player in the room as long as I'm an asset and not a hindrance.

Damn I'm sounding old af... lmao. I remember when being the best at every game I played was important to me. Now I just want to unwind and get some dubs. I usually still play most games on hard or a higher setting, but that's just because I have more fun strategizing most of the time instead of just being a mindless wrecking crew. There are times where the latter is fine though. I still play games at max settings, but I hope a day comes when I can just relax on mp games and not try to play like I'm cracked at all times... like I said, getting too old for that, and my reflexes aren't what they used to be.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1258 Posts

I used to on COD and FiFA,but i realised throwing a £50 controller of a wall wasn't good for the wallet,so i'll give anyone a good game,but losing has now become MEH

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5896 Posts

Beating people you know is always enjoyable (banter), especially nephews at Fifa

Beating people you don't know doesn't interest me any more.

If they game doesn't involve beating others I usually put on the one above average difficulty and prefer to enjoy the whole experience.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46329 Posts

When I play Battlefield or Age of Empires with friends I'm always the best.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22701 Posts

I still have the old school approach of its me vs the game designer...

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1059 Posts

It's rare that I will give up on a game because of difficulty, there will be other factors that drive me away, such as cheap design.

Generally I enjoy becoming more efficient at performing in a game as I continue to play. If there is a steep curve but the rest of the game deserves attention then I will apply myself. That's for solo campaigns, for multiplayer it's different. I'm not that competitive and care more about general enjoyment.

I don't try to be a sweat because when I do that it drives other people away. I've played with sweats that try to get serious and and manage the entire group and that approaches tryhard and ruins the enjoyment. Also in vs then people don't want to continue if I overwhelm them, so I play at the level of the rest of the group. If I'm solo then it depends on my mood how I play. If it's the last few people in the match and everyone's turtling then that's boring, and that usually happens when I'm doing good and get matched with tryhards, so I don't always push myself in mp.

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 285 Posts

That's not the highest priority for me but I want to figure out how to Not get gamers rigamortis and burnout

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 911 Posts

Nope. I magic spelled/online summoned my way through Elden Ring. I duo sworded my way through Dark Souls 3. I used as much in-game cheese in BOTW and TOTK as I could find.

I prefer to play multiplayer shooter games with a "team-player" mentality. I better be close to an even K-D with a bunch of assists. Rocket League- care more about passing and defense than scoring.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22701 Posts

@poarstman said:

That's not the highest priority for me but I want to figure out how to Not get gamers rigamortis and burnout

Impossible unless you change your gaming habits.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hardwenzen

@templecow90999 said:

Nope. I magic spelled/online summoned my way through Elden Ring. I duo sworded my way through Dark Souls 3. I used as much in-game cheese in BOTW and TOTK as I could find.

I prefer to play multiplayer shooter games with a "team-player" mentality. I better be close to an even K-D with a bunch of assists. Rocket League- care more about passing and defense than scoring.

You truly do disgust me. Imagine summoning the op broken summons in ER, so the summon face tanks a boss while you're spamming R1 at the boss's back until you run out of stamina. The most disgusting behavious in gaming tbh.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44219 Posts

I play most games on Normal difficulty but there have been a few where I played them on the hardest difficulty. On the flip side there are some games where I just played them on the easiest difficulty.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17822 Posts

No. I have way to many games to play. Generally once I see the credits I move on (unless it's monster hunter. The credits point is only the intro :P). So i generally play on Normal or Easy because I don't want to be spinning my wheels on a point in the game.

I also don't get the high of overcoming a hard boss/area/challenge anyway. If a boss beats me 10 times and I beat them on the 11th I still consider it a loss to me. So I don't derive joy from the challenge. So why would I spend so much time trying to master it?

I also have 0 interest in competitive MP games.

At the end of the day I just play games to have fun. I'm not trying to prove any point or win any race (er...unless it's a racing game :P).

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1154 Posts

Interesting question. I don't play competitive multiplayer games anymore. At the time, I would say I was more interested in having a good K/D ratio more than being top player in a given match. Single player games, like Soulsborne games, you're just going to naturally get better at as long as you're playing consistently.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7285 Posts

I'll try to improve my skills at a game I like, but only up to the point it stops being fun.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2036 Posts

I do. Been playing Apex Legends since it came out and still don't have the 20 kill badge Which sucks. My highest kill is 17 😞. But i really enjoy the game way more than Fortnite and CoD

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BassMan
@blamix said:

I do. Been playing Apex Legends since it came out and still don't have the 20 kill badge Which sucks. My highest kill is 17 😞. But i really enjoy the game way more than Fortnite and CoD

That 20 kill badge is just a number. It could easily be a 15 kill badge or whatever and you would have already achieved it. Point being these achievements and badges only matter if you actually give a shit about them. You are obviously good at the game if you have 17 kills in a match. You don't need that bullshit badge to prove anything. Don't stress or waste your time trying to get it as most people won't give a shit anyway.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56137 Posts

@BassMan said:
@blamix said:

That 20 kill badge is just a number. It could easily be a 15 kill badge or whatever and you would have already achieved it. Point being these achievements and badges only matter if you actually give a shit about them. You are obviously good at the game if you have 17 kills in a match. You don't need that bullshit badge to prove anything. Don't stress or waste your time trying to get it as most people won't give a shit anyway.

I used to think like that when I was still playing Destiny and from that point on, it was just a damn number of rankings I was dealing with. I really enjoy the first Destiny but the 2nd game is just BS!

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BassMan

@davillain said:
@BassMan said:
@blamix said:

I used to think like that when I was still playing Destiny and from that point on, it was just a damn number of rankings I was dealing with. I really enjoy the first Destiny but the 2nd game is just BS!

Live service games are just lame in general. They will keep increasing the level cap and give you bullshit things to grind for while distracting you from the fact that they are actually providing you with very little worthwhile content.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34621 Posts

@last_lap said:

I have some #1 times on WORLD racing leaderboards over a few racing games. But over the last 2yrs I haven't really tried for any #1 times, although I did get some.

As for other type of games, I use to play on the hardest level in every game. Not so much anymore except for if I love the game and plan to do multiple playthroughs.

Holy shit dude. That's some achievement.

Only leaderboards I've been in is a specific pinball table in Zen Pinball for 3DS, lol. Was number 3 in the world or something.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Last_Lap  Online
Member since 2023 • 6087 Posts

@Litchie said:
@last_lap said:

Holy shit dude. That's some achievement.

Only leaderboards I've been in is a specific pinball table in Zen Pinball for 3DS, lol. Was number 3 in the world or something.

Haha not really. I'm just REALLY competitive, if I get a time near the top and see that I did it with relative ease, I will then try and smash the top time, and then if I do, I will then try and beat my own time. I could spend hours on the one track redoing lap after lap until I felt I mastered the lap, can get hectic at times. People don't seem to understand that I REALLY, REALLY love racing games.

There is some other games i'm #1 on the leaderboards for things like mini games etc.

I have chilled this and last gen and don't try for it very much anymore. Getting too old for that stuff now, that and I have little time for it now.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#44 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

Not really. I don’t play many multiplayer-focused games, and my goal on single player games is to play through them at the “medium” or “normal” difficulty, so I can move on to the next game. My time for gaming is very limited; I don’t want to spend too much time mastering mechanics on fighting games or shooters and such to test my skill against others online (or offline, really).

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#45 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

definitely yes for competitive MP games. I struggle to have fun when I'm getting my ass handed to me. and I tend to have the most fun in MP games i'm actually good at.

singleplayer, don't care that much. as long as I'm good enough to progress through the game without having to constantly replay sections i'm satisfied.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1644 Posts

I play games now just for fun and relaxation. I don't have time or patience for anything that's too hard for me. I might change the skill level of a game if it's too easy, but I don't play many games now on hard settings.

I mostly now play single player games. Even if I go-online It's just for fun, I couldn't care less how well I do or where I am on stats at the end of a match.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hardwenzen

Reading the comments in here with people saying how they're "just playing for fun" and that they're never playing on the harder difficulties is just boiling my brain. I genuinely do not understand how one can enjoy an interactive entertainment that doesn't make you think and work to achieve things. A video game, one that is so easy that you can play it on autopilot, becomes stale and unremarkable when you're able to play it with your brain completely turned off. I just hope that i NEVER get to that level holy crap.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

I don't know if it's a matter of caring. I play the games I like and enjoy and naturally want to get good at them. They become more fun.

Miquella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Miquella
Member since 2022 • 744 Posts

Not much anymore, now having time to play all the games I like is very difficult.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18253 Posts

Only in figthing games ... the rest, i can live with beating the game.