Do console users give a shit about Age Of Empires 4?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Do console users give a shit about Age Of Empires 4? (38 votes)

ye 55%
n 45%

Hello, this is question. Is this something anyone wants to play on console? Would it even be worth the effort of porting?

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-64fbf588222fb
deactivated-64fbf588222fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 deactivated-64fbf588222fb
Member since 2021 • 1253 Posts

Not into AOE or any RTS game, sorry to not able to assist you on this cup.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

@kazumakiryu21: I appreciate the response my freind, through apathy it answers the question.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Nope, but MS will have to release it on Xbox like they did with Gears Tactics otherwise they would be hypocrites.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8208 Posts

ill be playing it on PC. But if i didnt have PC id care about it. I actually played alot of C&C3 on 360 back in the day, had it on PC too but one of my friends only had had 360. Games was surprisingly alot of fun still on console

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

I believed I read last year that MS was going to eventually port it to Xbox Series. It just launches on PC first due to KB/M it's needed for and while current-gen does support KB/M, developers also have to make it work with the gamepad in order to work for the common denominator. Which won't work. That said, Xbox gamers can wait another year or so until Age of Empires comes to XSX.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

I'm definitely gonna play on PC but console port can be nice for those weirdos that somehow plays rts on controller.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69466 Posts

I look forward to this game.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#8 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2564 Posts

I wouldn't even dare to play it with a controller, but deep inside i really want to watch someone beat the campain with a guitar hero controller.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Yeah, I care. I got Age of Empires II for the PC back in the day, still have it actually, and I really enjoyed it. If this new game were to come out on the Xbox consoles then I would definitely be interested in getting it myself.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I remember playing Warcraft on PS1. It kinda worked. I'm not big on RTS games though.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

Nah, could never get into RTS.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Even when I had a PC Age of Empires never appeales to me much. I had a fre copy of the 2nd game but never beat it. I played tons of other RTS though like the various C&C games and even the Dune RTS game and the WH40K and Homeworld games. Even on consoles I got into games like Halo Wars and I really like RUSE. It isn't like the genre doesn't appeal to me, pickings are slim on console side.

If it comes to consoles then cool. If not, maybe I will play it eventually on my laptop.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@sakaixx: A weirdo for playing a game on a controller, now that's weird comment.

C & C on the Sega Saturn was fun, never had any issues using a controller.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

@i_p_daily: sure IP, got no problem weirdos enjoying dumb down experiences.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I couldn't imagine muddling through AOE on a controller. It's a genre that has really developed around M&K. Some early games had passable experiences on controller, but they had simple interfaces and were build for it to not suck (e.g., H Zwei). A port of AOE to console... Shudder

TBS (e.g., Civ 6) is much more amenable because you aren't racing a clock to interact with all these mechanics and units. It's fine if it takes a little longer to select and move and if you need 2-5 more button presses to achieve a simple task. Civ 6 is pretty solid on Switch.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

I voted yeah

Eventhough it would be a scaled back experience. In the end I wouldn't care if they made and released this first and foremost on PC, and later port it to consoles.

Just like Age of Empires 2 on Playstation 2 or Starcraft on N64.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Considering one of the earliest RTS games and best in the biz back in the day was started on a console, umm, yes.

Makes all the sense in the world. The more ya know. :P

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

If they allow MKB for the xbox, sure. But strictly controller? Maybe, if MS dumbs AoE a lot to fit into a controller playstyle.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 xantufrog  Moderator

@girlusocrazy:sure - if the game supports it. Hopefully an AOE port would

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Lol at the thought of playing an RTS with a controller.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@girlusocrazy: ok - I wasn't aware the M&K support was so good on the XSeries. Consoles have "supported" it for a long time now and yet it's usually the case that only a few games actually support the interface in its original format (e.g., you would not want to play a controller port of AOE, with the controller buttons simply mapped to M&K. You'd want to play AOE with the original control scheme BUILT for M&K).

Seeing how much XBox is integrating across console and PC, I guess I can easily imagine you'd be able to play the PC control scheme natively if the M&K were detected. But I also don't think it's a given?

Anyway, not sure why you are getting grumpy about my post - I thought it was pretty clear that I was stating I wouldn't want to play AOE on a controller. I stand by that... it's not "trash talk" against consoles.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BenjaminBanklin  Online
Member since 2004 • 11086 Posts

No, but they need any game for their list wars at this point. 🤣

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

@xantufrog: I don't see why they would restrict their game from accessing these devices. It works well in other PC to console ports.

That would depend on the RTS game itself. Some that are designed for a gamepad will play just fine using one, take Halo Wars on Xbox 360 for example. Others you could customize the controls to attempt but if they are not designed for it, they will be difficult (but not impossible) to do. The main thing to consider is that no form of gamepad has the speed of a KB/M, nor the precision accuracy for selection. Games designed for controllers have built-in systems to adjust the accuracy for the player.

Also, I didn't see your comment as grumpy as Frog said.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

Consolites? They don't know any other games apart from the flavor of the month that are already on consoles, how in the world would they know something about AoE4 - a PC strategy game?

I mean almost all consolites but our dear SW member @i_p_daily sure cares a lot about it. ROFLMAO!

onewiththegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 onewiththegame
Member since 2004 • 4415 Posts

Played the original back in the day, fun times

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 xantufrog  Moderator

@girlusocrazy: no need to apologize - and I may well be "behind the times" on this. I'm not intentionally "overlooking" it but might well be ignorant of it - are there some examples of M&K RTS support on these consoles?

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 pyro1245  Online
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

This would be a great game to just have keyboard and mouse support on console

(just like every other game, ya idjit console game designers)

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

I would care about it more if consoles enabled kb/m for all strategy games.

I hate "utility wheels" and all the cludgey ways they try to make RTS games on console, when the only PROPER way to play something like that is with a mouse.

Even games like Elite Dangerous would benefit from kb/m on consoles, you can do so much more with your ship when you have enough buttons.

Controllers are better for certain games like Ass Creed, I even prefer them for FPS, and they are the defacto standard of fighting games.

But strategy has to be on a mouse.

Same way flight sim needs a HOTAS system and driving sim need a wheel.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35 onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5248 Posts

Controlling a real-time strategy game on a gamepad is like using that same gamepad to use Mozilla Firefox or Windows 10. It is ackward compared to using a mouse and keyboard.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xantufrog  Moderator

@girlusocrazy: yeah i guess one potential example would be Cities Skylines - not an "RTS" but it's a console port of a real time interface heavy thing. I don't know if it supports M&K or not on consoles - but would benefit a lot if it did

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#37  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

As long as they don't "dumb down" the games to accommodate the controller. Then sure, whatever.

To put it in perspective, If Total War came to consoles, I would hate it if the dumbed down the depth of the game just to make it "work better" with a controller..so to speak. I've played my share of console RTS to know that I'm not a fan. (Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned rat, Halo Wars, etc. ). Some things are just straight up better with Kb&M, and there's nothing wrong with that. Sure, put them all on console, but make sure Kb&M stays the definitive input method imo.

For turn based games it doesn't matter as much. I've played Civilization revolution on Xbox 360 and loved it. 🤷‍♂️

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

Controlling a real-time strategy game on a gamepad is like using that same gamepad to use Mozilla Firefox or Windows 10. It is ackward compared to using a mouse and keyboard.

And this is exactly the reason why we see so few high profile RTS.

Even Starcraft and C&C: franchises that sold millions, aren't likely to get a sequel.

Every other PC specific genre can translate quite well to consoles. We've had Crysis on consoles, we've had Call of Duty on consoles (oh, how we've had Call of Duty on consoles).

But RTS is the last bastion of PC and AAA devs/publishers have lost any and all interest in doing exclusives for one platform.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#39  Edited By brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag: I guess if it was a PS5 game it’ll be ok to play it on a controller? Just out of curiosity,is there any decent RTS games coming out for the PS5? Or is MS the only Stupid Ones,Right?