Do Achievements/Trophies ruin the 'fun' in games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Leakybubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

User Lists: 0

#1 Leakybubbles
Member since 2006 • 193 Posts

I've been finding myself for the last 4 years now buying a game or renting and immediately looking at the achievements and playing the game trying to get them. But what I didn't realize was I missing out on the point; fun. When you're playing a game where the achievement is to never die you find yourself playing through the game and when you die, BAM! You're mad - no achievement. So what do we do? We restart. And even though we are redoing virtually everything we just did, we don't care cuz we want these 'magical virtual' essentially nothing points. Why? Cuz we want to beat our friends out?

We are ruining the games for ourselves.. don't you see? We no longer play to play.. we play to go after awards. What fun is that? For instance: Last gen.. there were no achievements. So what did we do? We played games and had fun. Cuz that's all that they were. Fun. Now I do realize the positive side of achievements/trophies like bragging rights, accomplishment, and making a game re-playable but weren't fun games replayable any way? To me it's just an annoying thing in the way. I admit that I was VERY obsessed at a time with collecting achievements and spending countless hours going after them but in the end I mostly regret it cuz I missed out on just playing the game through the first time just for fun.

Your thoughts?

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
No they aren't :?
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

not every one plays games for the trophies or achievements they have added alot to the gaming arena.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

It's not like the games are designed around achievement gathering, so I don't see how. If you don't want them, ignore them.

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

not every one plays games for the trophies or achievements they have added alot to the gaming arena.

WilliamRLBaker
yeah i dont play just to unlock them. if one pops up and says u got 1 it does make you feel better.... i like the trophies and achievment features.. some i hope nintendo does next gen as well
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
No. They're just there. The only game that I've gotten a platinum for is Infamous 2. Because that game is just effin awesome. Gaming is still intact.
TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts

They don't effect game enjoyment negatively one bit.

EggHeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 EggHeadMan
Member since 2011 • 723 Posts

Ignore them :o

Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

No one has a gun to your head.. if you don't like them just ignore them. They add replay value and get some people to try things they normally wouldn't such as playing on hard, not dying etc.

Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Half-Way
Member since 2010 • 5001 Posts

achievements dont ruin the fun. For some people they might "add" something.

But it is a gimmick as any other

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

They dont, unless it affects you how other people play their games. Achievements to most dont really mean anything, but I'm sure many of us would rather have achievements/trophies than nothing at all.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts
some games achievements are constructed in such a way to get you to attempt things you normally wouldn't and it helps mediate the gameplay, other times they're just there for the grinders, but I like them sometimes as it gives me an idea of what my friends play and how much effort they put in certain games, for instance you notice sometimes people only got their feet wet in some games and nothing more, other times you can tell by their achievements they put a substantial commitment into playing certain games, sometimes I refer to achievement lists just to see if a friend has even played a game if I want to get them a gift... I don't see a need to outright get rid of the system other games have features like challenges that pretty much are the same thing, like playing Red Dead Redemption online, me and friends will work together to help each other out with challenges so that we can level up, unlock new guns and characters and whatnot, otherwise without purpose multiplayer would be pretty boring, we'd probably just go around shooting random other multiplayer members and that'd get boring quick, it's like Waldo books when I was younger would have been boring without the challenges in the back telling you to look for certain things other than just finding Waldo
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
In fact, if game makes you want to get the achievements/trophies, then it must be a damn good game.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I find it is a nice way of having an official record of things one has done in games. Back in the day, one had to convince their friends they beat something in some way that seemed impossible, which usually led to arguments. Now we have a system that records it officially for time-immemorial. I turned off all notifications recently on my 360 (when finally being able to gave it hooked up to the internet full-time) and haven't missed the bloop you get for unlocking an achievement. The score had always been meaningless to me, and would prefer the system to be point-less. One thing I don't get is how people can be so obsessed with the points that they go out of their way to play every game in existence, no matter how good or bad it is, just so they can get all the points.
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

Hmm, I don't know. Not for me personally. I kind of like that they exist in some games as a little incentive to do extra things rather than just blast through the game as fast as possible.

They may help to switch off the creativity in some peoples' minds when it comes to what they should do in a game. I'm sure many of us have our own personal achievements we've reached in our various favorite games that weren't tied to anything specific. We just did them because we loved the game, and enjoyed it. I would hope achievements haven't taken over that, and there are gamers out there who still strive for their own personal goals even when a shiny award isn't attached to it.

Elitro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Elitro
Member since 2009 • 578 Posts

No.

Trophies are cool and add another layer of depth if you want to invest even more in that game. That said i'm not really a trophie hogger so i have yet to plat a game... trying now on Demon's Souls cuz i really loved it but having some troubles ;P

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

achievements dont ruin the fun. For some people they might "add" something.

Half-Way

Have you ever wondered that, MAYBE, those folks have fun getting achievements/trophies?? :roll:

Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts
I completely ignore them. I've never once tried to go for an achievement or trophy.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Have you ever wondered that, MAYBE, those folks have fun getting achievements/trophies?? :roll:GreenGoblin2099
There is having fun... and there is joining a multiplayer match with the sole intent on gaining a specific achievement, and not focusing on winning the game for one's team. And then quitting as soon as one gets it. Multiplayer achievements can ruin games, because everyone becomes so focused on getting 10 headshots in a row, they forget the reason they are connected to the game.
Half-Way

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Half-Way
Member since 2010 • 5001 Posts

[QUOTE="Half-Way"]

achievements dont ruin the fun. For some people they might"add" something.

GreenGoblin2099

Have you ever wondered that, MAYBE, those folks have fun getting achievements/trophies?? :roll:

im not sure what your getting at.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

I rarely go after them.

Infamous 2 is my only platinum.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

I still don't understand why anyone would want to complete an achievement.

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

[QUOTE="GreenGoblin2099"]Have you ever wondered that, MAYBE, those folks have fun getting achievements/trophies?? :roll:foxhound_fox
There is having fun... and there is joining a multiplayer match with the sole intent on gaining a specific achievement, and not focusing on winning the game for one's team. And then quitting as soon as one gets it. Multiplayer achievements can ruin games, because everyone becomes so focused on getting 10 headshots in a row, they forget the reason they are connected to the game.

Well, while I don't fully agree, I see your point and all I can say is that you don't need trophies/achievements to get that... people rage quits, join teams only to **** up with their team mates, people who fool around, people who get annoying. It's always been there.

I can't say I don't support trophies/achievements but I really really dislike the MP based ones... probably because I dislike MPs altogether.

RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RandomWinner
Member since 2010 • 3751 Posts

Games serve a purpose for everyone. Some people play to kill time, chase trophies and a higher level. Others play games for pure fun. Most gamers are completionists of some sort here. I typically play a game to completedness without looking at trophies, then glancing at them for a second playthrough. I think the first playthrough with few exceptions is the most fun and if you waste it chasing trophies your going to have a poor experience. Playing Uncharted 2 on Hard and Crushing for my first and second playthrough respectively was the biggest mistake I've ever made in regards to impeding my fun, and I did it for the trophies.

So to summarize, they ruin your fun if you go after them right away, but once you've played a game to the point where having a task is more fun than what the game gives you, you go for the trophy. They maximize fun if you play it right, but they hurt it if you don't.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

If you don't like them, ignore them. I turn off notifications so I never have to see them. I usually forget games even have achievements or trophies.

M13L13S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 M13L13S
Member since 2010 • 3819 Posts

For me, achievements only add to the fun of playing games. I personally find that getting achievements adds a lot of replay value to games and I find a sense of accomplishment in getting them. However, I won't not play a game if I can't get all the achievements or kill myself to get them. Will I spend a couple extra hours or use a guide? Yeah sure.However, I don't let it ruin my fun by resorting to cheats or hacks in order to get them. So no achievements for me don't ruin but rather add to the game's fun and my experience with the game.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

They don't take away from or add to the fun of a game. They do nothing at all.

Perhaps next gen they will serve a purpose, but this gen they do not.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

they add more to it..seen me playing some games on harder difficulties for them for the sheer banter of getting them and getting more out my new £40 expense :P why not it gets you more playtime out a game dont really see anything bad with that :P mind you theres a few games i;ve got like 2 achievements out of cause they generally...just suck and been sold on.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

I don't see any negative against trophies to be honest. Maybe on online games that cause gamers to rage quit etc could be annoying but in single player games it could add to it. Like little challenges to get the most you can out of the game.

ratchet_usa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ratchet_usa
Member since 2005 • 376 Posts

I completely ignore them. I've never once tried to go for an achievement or trophy. Merex760

Same here.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#31 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Maybe if you're a chump with no self control.
Avian005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#32 Avian005
Member since 2009 • 4112 Posts

No it doesn't. When a game is boring it make gaining achievements/trophies a chore.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I've been finding myself for the last 4 years now buying a game or renting and immediately looking at the achievements and playing the game trying to get them. But what I didn't realize was I missing out on the point; fun. When you're playing a game where the achievement is to never die you find yourself playing through the game and when you die, BAM! You're mad - no achievement. So what do we do? We restart. And even though we are redoing virtually everything we just did, we don't care cuz we want these 'magical virtual' essentially nothing points. Why? Cuz we want to beat our friends out?

We are ruining the games for ourselves.. don't you see? We no longer play to play.. we play to go after awards. What fun is that? For instance: Last gen.. there were no achievements. So what did we do? We played games and had fun. Cuz that's all that they were. Fun. Now I do realize the positive side of achievements/trophies like bragging rights, accomplishment, and making a game re-playable but weren't fun games replayable any way? To me it's just an annoying thing in the way. I admit that I was VERY obsessed at a time with collecting achievements and spending countless hours going after them but in the end I mostly regret it cuz I missed out on just playing the game through the first time just for fun.

Your thoughts?

Leakybubbles

There's a similarity between these useless achievements/trophies and high scores from arcades / other older console games, i don't see any problem with them. Bragging is natural.. that's what people do, i sure as hell know some people bragged about high scores.

Nah, you're looking to hard.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

i usually go for trophies on the second playthrough.

guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts

No, not even one bit

Plagueless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Plagueless
Member since 2010 • 2569 Posts

If you dont like achievements you can turn off notifications....which makes it so you never knew yougot them.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

Only if my teammate is looking for the goldenvibrater instead of helping me fight off a horde of zombies.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

personally i never play for achievements and im not bothered if other people do or dont expect in multiplayer. its annoying to have that one guy keeps trying to get a pin/insigna in bad company 2 instead of playing for the objective

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#39 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts
I'd much rather have detailed gameplay stats than achievements.
BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts
I don't even acknowledge that they exist, I loved them at the start of the gen but they mean nothing to me now. They have no effect on me at all.
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
Nope, I don't even think about trophies unless I like the game. It annoys me how some players will ONLY play certain games just because it may have easy trophies/achievements.
Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

I only get achievements for games that I really enjoy because most of the time it allows me to appreciate the game even more. For instance, I just gathered the 50 gold reels in L.A. Noire and it really showed how much time, effort, and detail the developers put into the world.

If your buying game like Avatar stirctly to boast your gamerscore then I look at that as an obsession. However, I really don't care.