DigitalFoundry is Killing Gaming

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Epic-gamerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Epic-gamerz
Member since 2014 • 222 Posts

I miss the real gaming days when it was all about fun instead of counting pixels and comparing framerate. The days when we had tons of enemies on screen without a worry about performance. Now DF scared most developers to be careful what they push on screen, and to compromise for the weakest link because they are afraid of boycotts. I care less about resolution or a few dips in framerate, I just want to experience Gaming in its true form without compromise.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i don't think there is one developer in the world that is sweating what df has to say about anything.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

I actually enjoy the comparisons and the chaos that ensues afterwords

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Another lame alt

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By Sushiglutton  Online
Member since 2009 • 9874 Posts

I don't think it's their fault really. This type of discussion has been going on for ever. I do agree that it's unfortunate if devs would feel like they have to meet certain numbers (aka 1080p + 60FPS) instead of thinking about what makes sense for their game. For example it could be better for the experience to spend more of the resources on NPCs, particle effects, destructibility and so on. Hopefully devs are not inimidated.

Epic-gamerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Epic-gamerz
Member since 2014 • 222 Posts

@Sushiglutton: yea i was surprised when Geurilla Games said that the frame drops in KZ:SF multiplayer would be unnoticeable unless you go look at DigitalFoundry's analysis lol

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

No. gamers just need to grow up.

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8  Edited By timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

I have a PS4 and Xbone and have proved it several times. Playing BF4, COD, NBA2k, FIFA, and NFS Rivals on both. I can honestly say on a 36 inch 1080p Samsung, they look the same for the most part. On PS4 COD is a tad cleaner but it was hardly noticable. However the framerate dropped more. Everything else was basically the same with one exception. BF4 on the Xbone clearly looks worse in multiplayer. Other than that, you would have to be a picky brat to notice any real difference. They are closer than early 360 / PS3 games like Bayonetta and RDR.

Most people will not be able to tell the difference.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

Why not do an analysis on game performance... I agree to a certain extent with allocating resources to what you want the game to function like.

1080p @60FPS really should be a goal though even if it does not quite make it, they should at least try to get as close as possible. I don't expect games to run flawlessly at 60FPS 100% of the time. I expect a lot of games to be more open from now on and less heavily optimised corridor types games, so you have to leave room to allow for frame drops as developers really can't be expected to test every situation out to make sure it at least gets 30FPS if it is only just about displaying 30FPS.

Anything less than 30FPS should be frowned on in any circumstance, if does not maintain 30FPS 99.9% of the time then they should start stripping things out. My opinion anyway.

I tried to play red dead redemption the other day on PS3 and the frame rate really lets the game down a lot if i see any of that on the new consoles they can keep it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59117 Posts

It keeps showing how superior the pc is, thus making Xboxone and PS4 hype useless. Since graphics is the only thing going for them.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

It keeps showing how superior the pc is, thus making Xboxone and PS4 hype useless. Since graphics is the only thing going for them.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

Graphics is not the only thing going for consoles though. Factor in the exclusive games. I have to admit if it was a choice between PC and consoles and exclusive games did not exist, I would not bother with the consoles. The system is only as good as the games that are released, but you also have to factor in the multiplat games that don't get released on PC. Then you have the terrible ports (which I hope is going to stop).

People saying PC is best are delusional, just like console owners saying their system has better graphics than PC are delusional, you are not looking at all aspects of it and just picking on one area.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

@timbers_WSU said:

I have a PS4 and Xbone and have proved it several times. Playing BF4, COD, NBA2k, FIFA, and NFS Rivals on both. I can honestly say on a 36 inch 1080p Samsung, they look the same for the most part. On PS4 COD is a tad cleaner but it was hardly noticable. However the framerate dropped more. Everything else was basically the same with one exception. BF4 on the Xbone clearly looks worse in multiplayer. Other than that, you would have to be a picky brat to notice any real difference. They are closer than early 360 / PS3 games like Bayonetta and RDR.

Cod ghosts on ps4 doesn't have frame drops... Df said it's caused by going above 60fps with a locked in game 60Hz refresh

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

@epic-gamerz said:

I miss the real gaming days when it was all about fun instead of counting pixels and comparing framerate. The days when we had tons of enemies on screen without a worry about performance. Now DF scared most developers to be careful what they push on screen, and to compromise for the weakest link because they are afraid of boycotts. I care less about resolution or a few dips in framerate, I just want to experience Gaming in its true form without compromise.

Then do it. It isn't hard. Yesterday I took a job for a stack of low grade metal and a bunch of ammunition. The job was to facilitate the raiding of a base of real jerks on a Rust Server. I pulled if off by setting up a huge but extremely vulnerable construction near them, and used as a base of operations for guerrilla style harassment. When I got them so angry that they all came to root me and the folks I had subcontracted, the folks who hired me hit their base hard. When the group returned home and were confronted with the devastation, the leader of the group who hired me exploded a whole bunch of C4, and took out a third of their group.

Now the freaking griefers are scattered and running scared.

This is what gaming is all about. Looking at the situation, making a plan, putting it into action, and seeing if you can pull it off. It is the thrill of success, and the hunger that follows on the heels of failure. You got to try again and do it better this time.

System wars, kotaku, DF, and all that jazz is just the gossip drama soap opera gamers enjoy when they need a break. After that break we all get back in the game and have a blast. Don't let the side show get you down,

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Don't be butthurt.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Digital Foundry is all cows have.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@NFJSupreme said:

This. So much, this.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

You mean the days of Blast Processing and Sega DOES what NintenDON'T. Yeah nice try clown. Specs have been important to me since the 8 Bit era when Double Dragon was 1 Player on the NES and 2 Players on the Sega Master System.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Where was everyone complaining last gen? Oh wait.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

@NFJSupreme said:

This. People care about it here. Personally, if I enjoy the game, that's all I care about.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

DF has lost credibility, therefore I have no use for them

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#22 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@kittennose said:

@epic-gamerz said:

Then do it. It isn't hard. Yesterday I took a job for a stack of low grade metal and a bunch of ammunition. The job was to facilitate the raiding of a base of real jerks on a Rust Server. I pulled if off by setting up a huge but extremely vulnerable construction near them, and used as a base of operations for guerrilla style harassment. When I got them so angry that they all came to root me and the folks I had subcontracted, the folks who hired me hit their base hard. When the group returned home and were confronted with the devastation, the leader of the group who hired me exploded a whole bunch of C4, and took out a third of their group.

Now the freaking griefers are scattered and running scared.

This is what gaming is all about. Looking at the situation, making a plan, putting it into action, and seeing if you can pull it off. It is the thrill of success, and the hunger that follows on the heels of failure. You got to try again and do it better this time.

System wars, kotaku, DF, and all that jazz is just the gossip drama soap opera gamers enjoy when they need a break. After that break we all get back in the game and have a blast. Don't let the side show get you down,

Great Post sir. I think too many people take things waaay too seriously.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts
@FoxbatAlpha said:

DF has lost credibility, therefore I have no use for them

You mean they no longer tell you what you want to hear.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@AdobeArtist: Bingo

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25  Edited By millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@timbers_WSU said:

. Other than that, you would have to be a picky brat to notice any real difference.

Or maybe not a blind fool.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@millerlight89 said:

@timbers_WSU said:

. Other than that, you would have to be a picky brat to notice any real difference.

Or maybe not a blind fool.

However, if you are blind you should probably not be spending money on a video game console

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

DF didn't start that shit, gamers themselves did. DF just found a way of making money off the desperation of gamers to 1up each other.

If people didn't use DF as such a viable source for "ownage" all the time then they wouldn't be around or be as popular as they are now

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Sorry for expecting an improvement in performance when I put down $400 for a new console. I should just be like the Xbots and happily swallow every spoonful of shit Penello feeds me.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Nope they're just showing the general public how pathetic and weak the bone is. Its the first time since MS entered consoles market that they released something as weaksauce

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4579 Posts

The people who don't like them are the ones that solely own the console with the lesser version. They haven't lost credibility or anything. They show you what they see, if you don't like it, play the games and don't go to their site and ignore the threads here pertaining to DF. I personally love it and it helps me to ensure that I get the best version of the game on consoles. (if I'm not buying on PC)

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#31 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

Who needs a graphics comparison? PS4 will always look better.

Lems pay more for inferior hardware.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

da ****?

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

Wait, i dunno if we're on the same page. When i looked up digitalfoundry, I found what appears to be a manufacturer trying to make a hardware alternative to FRAPS, which sounds like a very good idea since video recording software tends to lead to a lot of framerate dips.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Hard to like them when you are a lem and they keep telling you how inferior the xbone is

MightyMuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MightyMuna
Member since 2008 • 1766 Posts

How can a site that aids gamers making an informed decision be a hindrance to gaming?

Sorry, but that's vacuous

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#37  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

And how is that new? The spanish mag i used to get in early 90s, always had comparisons between megadrive, Snes, turbografx16 and neogeo specs and game screens.

Maybe you shouldn't go there...or come here. Personaly, i love comparisons and enjoy my games.

MeganFocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MeganFocks
Member since 2014 • 162 Posts

@timbers_WSU said:

Dirty lem you're reaching.

MeganFocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MeganFocks
Member since 2014 • 162 Posts
@Krelian-co said:

Hard to like them when you are a lem and they keep telling you how inferior the xbone is

Lmao, Xbox dONE. Lems just cant catch a break, lmao, I'm loving it!

35cent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By 35cent
Member since 2008 • 934 Posts

I just ignore comparisons 99% of the time. I can't count the amount of times during the 360/PS3 generation where all these comparison say one version looks better than the other by comparing foliage or facial hair textures (basically stuff you'll never notice when actually playing the game). I find differences in these to be absolutely pointless to highlight. I even saw the same carry on with BF4 between the PS4 and X1 versions.

In the previous generation, 99% of the time the games looked the same or any differences not being worth writing home about. Of course there are exceptions from time-to-time, but the constant instances of the above scenario occurring has made me become jaded with these comparisons. These things are more used in fanboy wars then anything else.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@timbers_WSU said:

oh right, the "i have both systems and buy the same games for both without any apparent reason", sorry, no one's buying it, you act like a butthurt lem 100% of the time.

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#42  Edited By leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

@timbers_WSU said:

@epic-gamerz said:

so you have both consoles and play every game in both?

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#43  Edited By leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

i used to think that 60fps was overrated

i have to thank DF

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@AdobeArtist: didn't DF present BF4 on the PS4 as being in 1080p at the time when it wasn't yet? Same as IGN's review and comparison doing the same. Lying like this is what causes the loss of cred.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I'm sorry. Digital who?

El_Garbanzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By El_Garbanzo
Member since 2012 • 296 Posts

DF is killing Xblowx and Xbutts are aching

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@AdobeArtist: didn't DF present BF4 on the PS4 as being in 1080p at the time when it wasn't yet? Same as IGN's review and comparison doing the same. Lying like this is what causes the loss of cred.

Yep, but don't let facts get in the way of a good Sony Fan circle jerk.

Ryse, best looking game hands down and I don't need fanboy sites to tell me.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

Gaming is a tech-based hobby. You can't divorce the software from the hardware, so sites like DF are very necessary, especially because so many gaming sites are afraid to mention stuff like framerate or resolution due to fear of upsetting devs/publishers/Microsoft. A high framerate and good image quality makes my enjoyment of a game that much more enjoyable, whereas a low framerate and shit image quality detract from my enjoyment (Dark Souls is a perfect example--it's a great game that is bogged down by annoying framerate drops and glitchy physics).

If that kind of stuff really bothers you, get into board/card gaming; there's a renaissance going on atm in that field.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#49  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19609 Posts

Gaming publications have always been counting pixels, sprites, colours, polygons, textures, resolution, etc. Even as far back as the 8-bit era, you always had magazines comparing the graphical capabilities of different systems.

Anyway, I just see graphics as a kind of bonus, something that can enhance the experience, rather than the core of the experience. Primitive graphics are not a deal-breaker for me at all, since I still play retro games to this day. The frame-rate, on the other hand, can be a deal-breaker if it's low and inconsistent.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#50 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I have all the platforms and like to know which system has the advantage performance wise, so I love what they do. I mean, usually PC wins, but if a friend wants me to get it on a console to play with them its nice to know how much worse its going to be.