Did you wait for the PS2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Supernova_86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Supernova_86
Member since 2007 • 517 Posts

A lot of people are bashing the PS3 and calling it a "WaitStation" because it is taking long for some good exclusives to come out on it. Well, isn't this exactly the same for the PS2 vs Dreamcast era? I mean, the Dreamcast was RELEASED with an AAAA game (Soul Calibur). It was also much cheaper than the PS2, and did not have the "unnecessary" DVD player to increase cost. I remember my school friend buying a Dreamcast before the PS2 was released, thinking that I was making a mistake by waiting for the PS2 (I was happily playing my PS1 at the time). Guess which one of us had the last laugh?

Oh, and where is the Dreamcast now?

Maybe I am being too optomistic for the PS3. The PS2 had better games than PS3 when it was 1 year old, but who knows what will happen in another year from now.

Miles0T0Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Miles0T0Prower
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts
kingdom hearts was my system seller but I still kinda preferred gamecube
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

Dreamcast and PS2 released at the same price. You forget that this is the first console generation where a major system (let alone two) released for more than $300 at launch.

Also, I owned a DC around its launch, and it had some great games. I got a PS2 at the end of 2001 (When it was clear the DC was dying), and it had quite a few great games by then, not least of which to most people was GTA3.

Jhung207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jhung207
Member since 2005 • 1154 Posts

THe problem with dreamcast was that sega when bankrupt or they would have did very well in that generation. A better comparison to ps3 is the sega saturn. The saturn was hard to develope for and their best games like tomb raider were available on the cheaper console ps1 (xbox 360).

Remenber games win the war and sony has a lacklaster library plus very poor software sales.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

I was wrong. The Dreamcast launched for $199, not $299 like I had thought.

It (the DC) did however, enjoy a really great first year, but was then undercut by Sony's momentum pre-release, which I think is important here, as there has not been this imminant momentum from the PS3 yet.

It has launched more or less at a stand-still, and it needs to get something going soon.

sadikovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 sadikovic
Member since 2004 • 3868 Posts
I had to wait a very long time for the PS2... not becuase of the games but because I was 14 and couldn't afford it.
TiberiusKane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TiberiusKane
Member since 2007 • 259 Posts
I bought it when GT3 came out, so I didn't wait for long. 6 months or so?
trav_have

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#8 trav_have
Member since 2004 • 5712 Posts

I bought the PS2 almost right when it came out. I was very trusting in Sony to deliver top-notch games to me, which they did.

Now I did the same for PS3, and Im hoping I get the same response.

ragrdoll21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ragrdoll21
Member since 2006 • 6048 Posts
I waited one year for the PS2.I think MGS was about to come out.
GXR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 GXR
Member since 2003 • 1476 Posts
Yes.. But, thats just because I'm a born naturalskeptic..
l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts
I waited a while until the ps2/gt3 bundle came out then got one.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50562 Posts

Why diss the Dreamcast? That system was so bad ass in every way. I loved that system, still have it and play M V C2 when friends come over.

I bought the Ps2 the second I got the chance. I remember I would always check Best Buy to see if they had any, adn one day when I was checking the shelf and none were there, I turn around and a dude is carting a whole new load of them to the shelves. Was so happy haha. Of course I bought madden with it and got pissed.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

I bought it as soon as the Slim came out.

Seemed to have the best variety of titles, so I went for it in 2004. Easily the best singleplayer console ever in my opinion. N64 best MP console imo.

I bought a DC a year after launch second hand. $130 AUD, 30 games, 2 controllers, 1 VMU. One of the best bargains ever.

hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts

I got the PS2 day one and had people say the samething to me and I had the dreamcast when I was in the Marines so I totally agree with you.

SSX sold me and MGS2 got everyone else I know on the PS2 along with FFX and Silent Hill

TiberiusKane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TiberiusKane
Member since 2007 • 259 Posts

As for drawing comparisons to this generation, as far as sales go it's nothing like last gen. The DC never outsold the PS2 4:1 and it certainly didn't constantly outsell the PS2 like 360 has outsold the PS3 according to NPD sales data. Soul Calibur was a great game and got good reviews but even low profile 360 games have sold more copies. Mega hits like Gears and Halo 3 sold many times more then the best selling DC game.

Then there is the Wii to take into account, nothing launched at the same time as the PS2 and the Wii is doing better then the Xbox and GC combined. Why do sales matter? Well with high development costs on the PS3 it's going to need to sell a lot of units for it to be profitable for developers to spend time making quality games for it. I would say the PS3s future looks very bleak compared to how the PS2 looked one year after launch.

hiryu3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 hiryu3
Member since 2003 • 7313 Posts
I remember getting SSX, Orphan(beyond crap, I think this is worse than Superman 64) and Madden at launch. I ordered a pizza and the delivery guy say the PS2 besid emy tv and just wanted to see it turn on! The good old days.
Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts
Your logic is flawed , you can not compare the 360 to the Dreamcast , hell most shops here in Europe didn't sell the Dreamcast in the first place, advertising was non existent so it was a failure from day one , a follow up to the also failed Saturn .

Maybe you question should be , did you wait for the Xbox and gamecube or did youbuy a PS2 ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
I bought it pretty much right after it came out... but I had just started college so video gaming wasn't really a priority. I guess I lucked out that it turned out to be such a winner of a system.
Supernova_86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Supernova_86
Member since 2007 • 517 Posts

I bought it pretty much right after it came out... but I had just started college so video gaming wasn't really a priority. I guess I lucked out that it turned out to be such a winner of a system.Jandurin

Hmm, yes college was a pain the neck for me because I had to restrict myself from playing games due to studying. I stopped myslef buying a Nintendo DS because of college, but bought a DS Lite shortly after graduating with my diploma and getting a job.

devious742

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 devious742
Member since 2003 • 3924 Posts
I remember my uncle gave me a ps2 because he had two...it was around when devil may cry first came out.....last gen i bought an xbox..thats it...thats the only console i actually bought....i remember my nephew messed up my first xboxby putting alcohol on a game disc and not drying itbefore putting it in....had to buy another one....:evil:
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

[QUOTE="Jandurin"]I bought it pretty much right after it came out... but I had just started college so video gaming wasn't really a priority. I guess I lucked out that it turned out to be such a winner of a system.Supernova_86

Hmm, yes college was a pain the neck for me because I had to restrict myself from playing games due to studying. I stopped myslef buying a Nintendo DS because of college, but bought a DS Lite shortly after graduating with my diploma and getting a job.

Best reward for getting jobs is spending money on fun. :P
shaggygrosser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 shaggygrosser
Member since 2003 • 5871 Posts
I bought a used PS2 fatty after God of War came out, which was the only PS2 game that I REALLY wanted to play. I'm the type of person that only gets the hardware when there's a game that's available at that time that I want. Getting a system for teh future potenshul is just plain dumb.