Did they upgrade Red Dead Redemption graphics on the PS3?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thetruespin
Member since 2008 • 3256 Posts

I remember all the face-offs, and I was horrified at how badly ripped off PS3 owners got by rockstar and their lazy port. I remember the blurry graphics compared with the super sharp look of the 360 version.

So when I bought RDR today for cheap, I wasn't expecting much. Before playing it downloaded a patch and off I went... but the graphics seem very crisp, and the only bad thing I can see is a lack of AA. So did they remove the PS3 blur filter, previously used as a cheap form of AA?

shadow8585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 shadow8585
Member since 2006 • 2947 Posts
Just because it looks SLIGHTLY better on X360 doesnt mean it doesnt look great on PS3...
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
I never knew there was a difference in the graphics between the two, I haven't seen the 360 version on my setup, nor any comparison videos for that matter, but the PS3 version doesn't look terrible at all to me.
GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

Most of the things you notice on still screen shots, you wont notice when you playing it on your HDTV.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

I think you were just taking the multiplat comparisons a bit too seriously.

There are very few cases where the difference is noticably large and none where one version is downright broken.

thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thetruespin
the comparisons made it sound as if the ps3 version was a blurry mess.
gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gaming25
Member since 2010 • 6181 Posts
the comparisons made it sound as if the ps3 version was a blurry mess.thetruespin
Huh? RDR was never a "blurry mess" on the PS3. Both versions looked basically the same.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
I wondered what the fuss was about too. The PS3 version was always a sharp looking game to me, just jaggy.
Avatar image for DragoonKain1687
DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DragoonKain1687
Member since 2009 • 256 Posts

[QUOTE="thetruespin"]the comparisons made it sound as if the ps3 version was a blurry mess.gaming25
Huh? RDR was never a "blurry mess" on the PS3. Both versions looked basically the same.

Mmmm nope. RDR on the PS3 is crap if compared head to head with the 360 version.

Now, if you dont do that, its a great looking game by itself

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50633 Posts

It looked fantastic on Ps3.

thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thetruespin
I wondered what the fuss was about too. The PS3 version was always a sharp looking game to me, just jaggy.Floppy_Jim
That's my point. Everyone said it had that cheap AA process in place... but judging by the jaggy edges, it doesn't seem to me much of it. I'd say it is very crisp.
thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thetruespin

[QUOTE="gaming25"][QUOTE="thetruespin"]the comparisons made it sound as if the ps3 version was a blurry mess.DragoonKain1687

Mmmm nope. RDR on the PS3 is crap if compared head to head with the 360 version.

To be fair, the screenshots did suggest this. However, the screenshots don't actually seem to look like the game in motion. Mind you, some AA would have been nice on the ps3 version
gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gaming25

[QUOTE="gaming25"][QUOTE="thetruespin"]the comparisons made it sound as if the ps3 version was a blurry mess.DragoonKain1687

I've seen the comparisions, and so have others. People say that if you are trying to look for the pixels, etc, then you may see a slight difference, but its barely even noticeable.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#15 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30573 Posts

PS3 version was not a port. Anyway, it looks great on PS3 too, just not as great.

tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tommyas
Member since 2007 • 2594 Posts

I remember all the face-offs, and I was horrified at how badly ripped off PS3 owners got by rockstar and their lazy port. I remember the blurry graphics compared with the super sharp look of the 360 version.

So when I bought RDR today for cheap, I wasn't expecting much. Before playing it downloaded a patch and off I went... but the graphics seem very crisp, and the only bad thing I can see is a lack of AA. So did they remove the PS3 blur filter, previously used as a cheap form of AA?

thetruespin
People made the small differences look much worse than they actualy are, thats why.
Magik85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Magik85
Member since 2009 • 1078 Posts
Yea...same goes for FF13.
SwagSurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SwagSurf
Member since 2009 • 3022 Posts

Yea...same goes for FF13.Magik85

What? PS3's version of FF13 was superior to 360s.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#19 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
[QUOTE="Floppy_Jim"]I wondered what the fuss was about too. The PS3 version was always a sharp looking game to me, just jaggy.thetruespin
That's my point. Everyone said it had that cheap AA process in place... but judging by the jaggy edges, it doesn't seem to me much of it. I'd say it is very crisp.

And that cheap AA is QAA. That version was at a lower resolution than the 360 version, only reason why it was blurry.
king_bobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 king_bobo
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts

Most of the things you notice on still screen shots, you wont notice when you playing it on your HDTV.

GTSaiyanjin2
This is extremely true - very often people can play two versions of a multiplatform game seperately and not be able to distinguish between them. It's only when they're compared side by side that it's really noticable.
MrJack3690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MrJack3690
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts

Just because it looks SLIGHTLY better on X360 doesnt mean it doesnt look great on PS3...shadow8585

Exactly, I'm playing it right now on my PS3, and honestly it's still pretty amazing looking, even if there's a few less shadows, and trees. You really don't notice it (at least I don't) because the game is so much fun and still great to look at on both platforms, which is probably why the PS3 version scored the same.

Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

I have both and the PS3 version misses some objects , has a less stable framerate and runs at a slightly lower resolution , you wont notice it unless you play them side by side .

I play the PS3 version online with friends and have no more Xbox live Gold .

Still a great game on both consoles , i'm in the middle of Undead nightmare on 360 right now and it's awesome , the graphics are even better with awesome looking God rays coming out of the clouds .

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

no. The problem was the ps3 ran at 640p while the 360 ran at 720p, plus No AA on the ps3 version. Less objects/missing objects (grass) on the ps3 version. And finally the draw distance was way better on the 360 version.

J-WOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 J-WOW
Member since 2010 • 3105 Posts

thetruespin

lol wut? they pretty much looked the same except the PS3 version had a liitle less grass in some areas and in some parts the textures where a little blurry, you can only notice those things when you compared screen still shots, but when actually playing the game they lookk the same with the PS3 version looking brighter. You sir are overly super over reacting about minor things you dont see even notice while playing the game.

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
Still the same. It's simply that this game looks so great that even the gimped PS3 version manages to look good.
theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 theuncharted34

[QUOTE="thetruespin"]

J-WOW

lol wut? they pretty much looked the same except the PS3 version had a liitle less grass in some areas and in some parts the textures where a little blurry, you can only notice those things when you compared screen still shots, but when actually playing the game they lookk the same with the PS3 version looking brighter. You sir are overly super over reacting about minor things you dont see even notice while playing the game.

I noticed everything. Maybe that's just me though (I notice everything :P).

djsifer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 djsifer01
Member since 2005 • 7238 Posts
I bought RDR day 1 for PS3 and though the graphics were quite good. The difference isn't as big as some people might have you believe. To answer your question, the patch is for all the DLC as far as i know.
RyviusRan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RyviusRan
Member since 2010 • 558 Posts

By your logic JC2 on PC makes the the console version look like an NES game.

theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 theuncharted34

[QUOTE="DragoonKain1687"]

[QUOTE="gaming25"] Huh? RDR was never a "blurry mess" on the PS3. Both versions looked basically the same.RyviusRan

I thought it looked meh overall when you compare it to the 360 version.

RyviusRan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RyviusRan
Member since 2010 • 558 Posts

I thought it looked meh overall when you compare it to the 360 version.

theuncharted34

Well of course, you don't have a gaming PC so you wouldn't know the big difference between the console and PC versions.

It's a much larger difference than what consolites bicker over when comparing their multiplats.

J-WOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 J-WOW
Member since 2010 • 3105 Posts
[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

[QUOTE="J-WOW"]

[QUOTE="thetruespin"]

I noticed everything. Maybe that's just me though (I notice everything :P).

then stop noticing and start enjoying. Your expirience with RDR would be the same no matter which system you play it on
right4dead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 right4dead
Member since 2010 • 1062 Posts

i bought the 360 version first, the graphics looked great, then i borrowed the ps3 version froma friend, the graphics looked great. your just trying way too hard to over exagerate the 360 graphics, from someone who has actually played both the difference is not noticeable. nice try.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#33 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

the game looks amazing on ps3

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
No. they didn't upgrade the graphics.
XboximusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 XboximusPrime
Member since 2009 • 5405 Posts

Dont think so. Maybe they fixed performance, but I doubt graphics. game is still plenty palyable. Also, its Rockstar, who have proved be be quite uncapable of doing simultaneous multiplatform development. And 2K also for that matter.

monkeysmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 monkeysmoke
Member since 2010 • 457 Posts
PS3 version is still sub HD with jaggies :( & nothing is changing that :P.
XboximusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 XboximusPrime

Actualy, I just remembered I got it today on PS3 via gamefly solely due to curiosity of how bad it really is on PS3. Ill play it some and let you know how it looks. (BTW: if you only have a PS3, please get it even if its a bit better on 360. Great game is a great game.)

dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#38 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

I played it only on PS3 but it looked great to me.

dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#39 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

[QUOTE="DragoonKain1687"]

[QUOTE="gaming25"] Huh? RDR was never a "blurry mess" on the PS3. Both versions looked basically the same.RyviusRan

not exactly but the game is impressive on PC...not so much on consoles.

gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gaming25
PS3 version is still sub HD with jaggies :( & nothing is changing that :P.monkeysmoke
And it really doesnt matter either since both versions basically look the same.
XboximusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 XboximusPrime

ok, played a bit of it. Honestly, it still looks good. I expected more of a difference considering the backlash. It does look rougher because of little aliasing, and I dont have the 360 version to compare it to, but it still looks good and its totaly enjoyable. I dont know about frame rate because I havent really had combat yet, but then again I dont have a good gauge for frame rate.

ps3wizard45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 ps3wizard45
Member since 2007 • 12907 Posts

ps3 version looks amazing to me :shock:

XboximusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 XboximusPrime

One thing thats bothering me is the jaggedness of some peopls hair on PS3. Bonnies looks rather bad.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

[QUOTE="monkeysmoke"]PS3 version is still sub HD with jaggies :( & nothing is changing that :P.gaming25

no. the ps3 version is clearly inferior with it's weak draw distance and textures, inconsistent framerate and absence of AA. i know because i've seen both versions in action.

XboximusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 XboximusPrime

[QUOTE="gaming25"][QUOTE="monkeysmoke"]PS3 version is still sub HD with jaggies :( & nothing is changing that :P.lazerface216

no. the ps3 version is clearly inferior with it's weak draw distance and textures, inconsistent framerate and absence of AA. i know because i've seen both versions in action.

Well, im playing the PS3 version right now and havent noticed any Framerate problems. Lack of AA is annoying yes, and I guess the draw distances are kinda weak, but I havent had a inferior experince yet. And ive beaten teh gaem on 360. We all need to look up the word inferior.

_Cadbury_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 _Cadbury_
Member since 2006 • 2936 Posts
There was never anything wrong with the PS3 version in the first place. Just over-dramatic haters doing what they do best. And no its graphics weren't patched.
themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

[QUOTE="gaming25"] And it really doesnt matter either since both versions basically look the same.XboximusPrime

Well, im playing the PS3 version right now and havent noticed any Framerate problems. Lack of AA is annoying yes, and I guess the draw distances are kinda weak, but I havent had a inferior experince yet. And ive beaten teh gaem on 360. We all need to look up the word inferior.

Don't worry, the game looks so great that even at sub-HD it still manages to look better than any other open-world game out there. Sub-HD doesn't mean it looks bad, and this game is proof of that.
santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

[QUOTE="XboximusPrime"]

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

themyth01

Don't worry, the game looks so great that even at sub-HD it still manages to look better than any other open-world game out there. Sub-HD doesn't mean it looks bad, and this game is proof of that.

Agreed. I remember the comparisons and the 360 clearly looked better. But if you don't have the choice the PS3 version is still a great looking game, and one of my favorites.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

The only real differences I noticed between the two versions is that the PS3 has a lot more pop in of graphics, especially off in the distance. Not that it was a deal breaker for playing the game, but it did get annoying.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

Anyone who says there is not a huge difference is fooling themselves. I only had a ps3 when this was released. I bought a 360 for reach a few weeks ago, I rebought red dead for the undead nightmare pack, and I wanted to replay it on the 360 for achievements. The graphics are better in to many ways to describe. The image is sharper, the colors are better, the shadows are better, I could go on, but over all all the little things add up and the game looks amazing. I cant stand sony fans that downplay this and then hype graphics of the exclusives, IMO RDR on the 360 looks just as good as any ps3 game.