Did SCEI silently cease production of core PS3's?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DementedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DementedDragon
Member since 2003 • 5095 Posts

It seems evident in the newly launched regions that the core PS3's are no where in sight, only the premiums (since they list only one price.)  I wonder if they plan to discontinue the core to save even more money, it would be reasonable to.  Hopefully they can do a price drop on the 60GB version around the holiday season.

But does anyone know if they're only making 60GB PS3's now?

Avatar image for Hammerofjustice
Hammerofjustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Hammerofjustice
Member since 2006 • 2685 Posts
I think they will keep the core version around. Price is what is hurting the PS3, so they wouldnt get rid of the cheapest version just yet, maybe if they drop the price of the 60gb.
CalmityDaunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 CalmityDaunt
Member since 2006 • 296 Posts

It seems evident in the newly launched regions that the core PS3's are no where in sight, only the premiums (since they list only one price.)  I wonder if they plan to discontinue the core to save even more money, it would be reasonable to.  Hopefully they can do a price drop on the 60GB version around the holiday season.

DementedDragon
I'm sure there is a link somewhere that only the 60gb would be available to Europe.
gamenux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gamenux
Member since 2006 • 5308 Posts

DementedDragon
I think the core ps3 was a mistake. There was an announcement several months ago that the core actually cost more to make than the premium. I think sony will make the premium as long as it sells well. But as production efficiency increases, I think you will see the core again. In the meantime, I think sony should concentrate on make the premium first and try to get cost down. That will roll over to the core eventually.
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

I think it will emerge once again in 2008 , even lower than the $100 difference currently set. I don't think it would be wise to kill it completely.

KeyWii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 KeyWii
Member since 2006 • 4884 Posts
No, it's still around. Retailers place all the orders, so if they have higher demand for the 60GB version, Sony's manufacturing output will reflect that demand.
04JETTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 04JETTA
Member since 2005 • 5769 Posts
yea 20GB are almos impossible to find
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
They aren't around any of the stores I go to, but frankly I wouldn't want the core experience, I want the premium and that price needs to come down.
Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Blinblingthing
Member since 2005 • 6943 Posts
[QUOTE="DementedDragon"]

CalmityDaunt

I'm sure there is a link somewhere that only the 60gb would be available to Europe.

Initially.

But I think its really that no one buys Core PS3. I mean for a mere $100 more you get 3X the HDD, Wi-fi, media cad  readers. Why get a Core??

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
How bad is the Core compared to the 60.....I have been thinking of getting a core
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HarlockJC
[QUOTE="CalmityDaunt"][QUOTE="DementedDragon"]

Blinblingthing

Initially.

But I think its really that no one buys Core PS3. I mean for a mere $100 more you get 3X the HDD, Wi-fi, media cad  readers. Why get a Core??

On ebay they are like 200 cheaper they go below cost

Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Blinblingthing

No, it's still around. Retailers place all the orders, so if they have higher demand for the 60GB version, Sony's manufacturing output will reflect that demand.KeyWii

My point. 80% PS3's are the premium ones. (So much for its being to expensive when almost all the more expensive version)

Consumers know Value, and the premium PS3 has wayy more value than Core

2scoopsofempty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 2scoopsofempty
Member since 2005 • 923 Posts
[QUOTE="CalmityDaunt"][QUOTE="DementedDragon"]

Blinblingthing

Initially.

because thats good enough to play games on. and the HDD is upgradable. if i ever were to buy a PS3 the 499.00 SKU is what i would buy
taker42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 taker42
Member since 2007 • 1614 Posts
It's pretty much impossible to find in some parts of the world (i.e where I am) unless you import. If they are actively promoting both versions, there should be equal stock, so that people can choose. As it is, you don't really have a choice if all you can find is the 60g version.
Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Blinblingthing

How bad is the Core compared to the 60.....I have been thinking of getting a coreHarlockJC

Better bang for the Buck is with Premium

Wi-fi,(No Wires) Media card readers (Like the media cards in Cell Phones, Cameras etc) 40Gb extra, (ttake all your media files to a real media center)

Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Blinblingthing
[QUOTE="Blinblingthing"][QUOTE="CalmityDaunt"][QUOTE="DementedDragon"]

2scoopsofempty

Initially.

because thats good enough to play games on. and the HDD is upgradable. if i ever were to buy a PS3 the 499.00 SKU is what i would buy

I doubt you're spend less than $100 on another HDD, plus you still don't have media card readers, wi-fi

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 HarlockJC

[QUOTE="HarlockJC"]How bad is the Core compared to the 60.....I have been thinking of getting a coreBlinblingthing

Better bang for the Buck is with Premium

Wi-fi,(No Wires) Media card readers (Like the media cards in Cell Phones, Cameras etc) 40Gb extra, (ttake all your media files to a real media center)

Don't need the Wi-fi and if I wanted to use a Media card reader for my camera I would use my computer. I don't do anything with media....What I want to know if I want the PS3 for games and to watch movies only is the 20 good and also if I want to upgrade the hard drive latter do they sell them....Because Cores are cheap on Ebay

2scoopsofempty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 2scoopsofempty
Member since 2005 • 923 Posts
[QUOTE="2scoopsofempty"][QUOTE="Blinblingthing"][QUOTE="CalmityDaunt"][QUOTE="DementedDragon"]

Blinblingthing

Initially.

I doubt you're spend less than $100 on another HDD, plus you still don't have media card readers, wi-fi

100 bucks would get you more than 40 more gigs. and USB ports are there for a reason. why would you REALLY need card readers.
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HarlockJC
[QUOTE="Blinblingthing"][QUOTE="2scoopsofempty"][QUOTE="Blinblingthing"][QUOTE="CalmityDaunt"][QUOTE="DementedDragon"]

2scoopsofempty

Initially.

100 bucks would get you more than 40 more gigs. and USB ports are there for a reason. why would you REALLY need card readers.

The only question would be would will Sony ever use the card reader for a game. Because I got the whole reader on my Wii and have never even used it....Well soon I will have to because of all the games that I have downloaded. But besides that I have no other plans for it.

And again the core is $200 cheaper when using Ebay......Has any one here used over 20 gigs on their PS3 because if not I may pick up a core