Did PS4 win on its own merit?

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45306 Posts

Do you give Sony a lot of credit or do think MS and Nintendo's failings were more to blame? I think PS4's comeback was incredible and Sony had a lot to do with it. They became a gamer-centric company that focused on making a good all around gaming machine much like how the PS1 and PS2 were. Their marketing campaign was also incredible. I'm happy that Sony is back to form. What do you think, SW? Is PS4 deserving of this accolade?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

You really do love that Sony kool-aid, TC

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

No, they won by not shooting themselves in the foot and dick like MS did. They haven't really done anything this gen worth praising other than not completely shitting themselves.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I'm not exactly thrilled with the console in some respects, but I'm patient for games and I'm happy with it in a lot of ways. Once Uncharted 4 hits, I'll be a very happy camper.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts
@mems_1224 said:

No, they won by not shooting themselves in the foot and dick like MS did. They haven't really done anything this gen worth praising other than not completely shitting themselves.

Out of curiosity, which of MS' screw ups was the foot and which was the dick?

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

I think they took a lead by going last. Nintendo opened the generation up, then Microsoft started, then Sony entered.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mems_1224

@lostrib said:
@mems_1224 said:

Out of curiosity, which of MS' screw ups was the foot and which was the dick?

obviously the dick was the not playing used games since that fucks over everyone.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

For me, it's real simple. Forget what Xbox did for a second and forget the WiiU and its struggles.

What Sony did with the PS4 was to simply correct the mistakes they made with the PS3. Gamers told Sony what they wanted from a console and they made good on that.

WiiU stumbling and Xbox committing seppuku at its reveal certainly made things easier for gamers, but the PS4 is the machine people asked for irrespective of that.

I take mountains of shit in SW for pointing out that Sony made the right decisions with PS4. I don't see that as making me a cow. It should have been easy as hell to know what was going to work for this gen but apparently people get paid a lot more than I do to make terrible design choices for game consoles.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

They are current gen 8 console leader by giving gamers what we want and not trying to change the industry on their own like MS did.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@Shewgenja said:

For me, it's real simple. Forget what Xbox did for a second and forget the WiiU and its struggles.

What Sony did with the PS4 was to simply correct the mistakes they made with the PS3. Gamers told Sony what they wanted from a console and they made good on that.

WiiU stumbling and Xbox committing seppuku at its reveal certainly made things easier for gamers, but the PS4 is the machine people asked for irrespective of that.

I take mountains of shit in SW for pointing out that Sony made the right decisions with PS4. I don't see that as making me a cow. It should have been easy as hell to know what was going to work for this gen but apparently people get paid a lot more than I do to make terrible design choices for game consoles.

Yall asked for paid online service? Seemed to be a bragging point last gen. What exactly did they deliver that fans wanted? Seemed to me Sony was planning on doing similar things with how they did PS TV and Vita TV. Im sure they had more plans for touch controls and motion controls. I think Sony was just being Sony, but i guess they did have what people wanted in the end.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61515 Posts

Sony didn't botch shit, whilst MS did. It's the reverse of last gen.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@mesome713: Except, more gamers ultimately bought XBox 360 than PS3 and millions of gamers willingly filled MSes coffers with subscription revenue.

That particular part had nothing to do with what PS fans wanted and more to do with the direction gamers were willing to go at that point. Everything else was a check list though.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: The 3 things Sony did correctly was, made a power console with decent hardware for the price, announced their console after MS announced theirs at E3, and basically made a Xbox 360 with better graphics and a sharing feature.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts

^

lol

BluFalconUltra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 BluFalconUltra
Member since 2014 • 459 Posts

I give Sony all the credit for creating the best gamin console this generation as PS is always the best every generation,but this time it is very impressive that the PS4 has outsold its min competitor head to head from launch even while it was more expensive.PSN has also surpassed Live,which is incredible since doubters said that would never happen.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Do you give Sony a lot of credit or do think MS and Nintendo's failings were more to blame? I think PS4's comeback was incredible and Sony had a lot to do with it. They became a gamer-centric company that focused on making a good all around gaming machine much like how the PS1 and PS2 were. Their marketing campaign was also incredible. I'm happy that Sony is back to form. What do you think, SW? Is PS4 deserving of this accolade?

Sony delivered a superior hardware box at a given price.

Sony maximised their smaller APU chip area size (when compared to Xbox One's APU) with AMD IP blocks that matter for games i.e. pack it with the highest CU count at a give process tech (28 nm) and chip area space.

Xbox's APU chip with 14 (12 active) CU and 896 (768 active) stream processors

MS wasted their chip area space with SRAM blocks, which could have supported ~28 CU GPU.

Nintendo Wii U's main chip.

Nintendo wasted their chip area space with eDRAM blocks, which could have supported 2.5X their current GPU e.g. Radeon HD 4770 (640 stream processors, 8 CU) instead of Wii U's Radeon HD 4650 class solution(320 stream processors, 4 CU). Nintendo made a similar mistake like Xbox One.

PS4's APU chip.

Sony maximised the CU count for their chip budget i.e. 20 CU (18 active) with 1280 (1152 active) stream processors. Sony's AMD IP block selections are good.

PS4's chip size is smaller than Xbox One's chip size and PS4 delivers superior performance LOL.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Yes and no.

Yes in the sense that the Playstation brand has always been strong, and it's been strong because there are some constants with Playstation, the big one being that it gets a healthy selection of games, and in contrast to the Xbox, a healthy dose of exclusives. The no part, is that it was clearly **** ups by Microsoft and Nintendo that put them in the holes they are in, Microsoft has found defeat from the jaws of victory.

The 360 gen was handed to them and allowed them to stand toe to toe with Sony in a lot of ways, and instead of building their first party that gen and positioning for a romp of Sony, they bet the farm on a tv tuner, made their own franchises milked to the point they no longer feel like events, and on top of that tried to jump the gun on digital distribution on a market that isn't really ready for that, much less the fact that both of these consoles make this feel like gen 7.5 than gen 8 in the first place.

And Nintendo is Nintendo, that's a special brand of stupid.

Make no mistake about Sony's success is in part due to their credibility with their brand, and that they didn't **** up, but at the end of the day they got handed this gen.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

For me me the Xbox 360 started strong but finished weak. This lead me to make ps4 my primary console for this gen. Wii u was always going to be a secondary console because quality Nintendo games like Zelda take time to make so I knew the system would have droughts.

XboxStache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 XboxStache
Member since 2013 • 1530 Posts

Sony stuck to traditional gaming. Microsoft tried to spoon feed. Nintendo lacks innovation and of course, while I like PC, it isn't relevant.

Yes, Sony won on it's own merit. 100 percent.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3418 Posts

@mems_1224: Yet, I bet you somehow consider the 360 a huge success off of MS' own merits. Sony ACTUALLY shot themselves in the foot with the PS3 launching at 600 bucks, 200 dollars more than the competition. Lems try to use MS' 2013 reveal in the same light but it's an excuse. Everyone that hasn't been living under a rock knows X1 plays used games now. PS4 is just the superior machine and that's why it's selling better.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mems_1224

@Sagemode87: nope

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46483 Posts

Sony screwed up by making the PS3 cost so much and telling people 'get a job'.
It's really arrogant, and is along the lines of MS implementing DRM (when it comes to arrogance)

But at the end of the gen Sony showed some proper dedication, as they kept releasing quality exclusives and good HD collections.

This gen Sony had an amazing start, they learned from their mistakes, and MS and Nintendo seemed all to eager to screw up. PS4 has almost nothing exclusive or original to play on it, yet its selling at record speeds.

Just don't rest on your laurels, Sony. And to MS I say: do what Sony did last gen, but I see they are already heading in that direction.

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

Lol true.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@XboxStache said:

Sony stuck to traditional gaming. Microsoft tried to spoon feed. Nintendo lacks innovation and of course, while I like PC, it isn't relevant.

Yes, Sony won on it's own merit. 100 percent.

MS absolutely did not try to spoon feed ?

Do you even know what that means ?
I doubt it.

MS didn't spoon feed anyone they tried to quench their greed by taking more of gamers' money through DRM, always online etc..... That has nothing to do with spoon feeding.

-_-

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

They are winning due to the internet, and bad Microsoft communications.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#27 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

The Wii won last gen sorry 360 fanboys but nobody handed Xbox360 nothing in fact it's in last place now lol I find it funny you guys think 360 was anywhere near the success of the Wii ps1 ds or ps2

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

Its competition is the Wii U and the Xbone, it would be embarrassing if they weren't winning. It helps that the Playstation brand is really strong worldwide, the only place Xbox is competitive is America and UK.

What made me side with them at the beginning of this gen was how they continued to support the PS3 with amazing games while Microsoft left 360 owners with nothing in 2013. It showed the difference between their 1st party output with Sony supporting 2 consoles and a handheld (lol) at once. They could've made games like The Last of Us, GT6, Puppeteer, and Beyond PS4 exclusive instead but they chose to support the PS3 as well.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@kratosyoloswag said:

Its competition is the Wii U and the Xbone, it would be embarrassing if they weren't winning. It helps that the Playstation brand is really strong worldwide, the only place Xbox is competitive is America and UK.

What made me side with them at the beginning of this gen was how they continued to support the PS3 with amazing games while Microsoft left 360 owners with nothing in 2013. It showed the difference between their 1st party output with Sony supporting 2 consoles and a handheld (lol) at once. They could've made games like The Last of Us, GT6, Puppeteer, and Beyond PS4 exclusive instead but they chose to support the PS3 as well.

Either that or you're a huge humongous super PS fanboy.....I think we all know which one it is

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

@kingtito said:
@kratosyoloswag said:

Either that or you're a huge humongous super PS fanboy.....I think we all know which one it is

I used to be a big Xbox fan. Jumped ship this gen alongside millions of other 360 gamers. Microsoft abandoned us by not releasing anymore games while also trying to pull off that that Kinect/DRM/TV shit. They deserved to lose this gen and they will by a long shot.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

Sony won this generation as soon as Microsoft stepped their silly asses on stage at E3 2013 and gave the ultimate "**** you" to gamers.

It didn't matter that they reversed all of those ass backwards policies 10 days later. The damage had already been done and Lems flocked to the PS4 in droves.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@mesome713: You crack me up. When Sony was posting constant losses in there gaming division people like you ripped them. Now they are profitable again and you think they are fucking everybody? You can't have an online service on a dedicated gaming platform be profitable without charging for it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@AM-Gamer: Sorry, im a PC and Nintendo gamer, i dont know how it feels to give money to a corporation to allow me to play online for certain games, nor will i ever. If the game developer wants to charge me money to play online, thats fine, but im not paying no middle man.

funkmaster1233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 funkmaster1233
Member since 2014 • 706 Posts

As of this moment, the PS4 is in last place when it comes to actual games. They won due to herd mentality.

"Sony has sold 10 million PlayStation 4s. They don't know why. It just kinda happened. Sales appearing from the ether—that sort of thing."

I'm 100% sure that the PS4 will be great in a couple of years but it's simply not worth owning over the other two consoles currently.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Sony is winning, it hasn't won.

Most of what you are praising Sony for is a result of Microsoft/Nintendo on two fronts:

1. The 360's success showed Sony that they were not the "Gods of Consoles". They had to eat a lot of humble pie and change a lot of policies and attitudes.
  2. MS's missteps with the XB1 launch gave Sony a lot of momentum.
  3. The Wii U is awful

I am not sure if there is a large number of 360 owners who switched to PS4, but I am certain Sony picked up a lot of Wii owners.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22809 Posts

Perfect storm at launch... SONY made a video game console that was powerful and consistent with the markets wishes...

Microsoft tried selling a vision we were suspect about.

Nintendo never wanted to get in the fight...

Though I see absolutely no difference in being an xone owner compared to a ps4 owner at this point, The one thing I'll give Sony credit on is there indie support.

I'm not gonna say such and such should have better or worse sales, but the script that's been written started at launch and is consistent with the events leading up to today...

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@StormyJoe:

@StormyJoe said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Most of what you are praising Sony for is a result of Microsoft/Nintendo on two fronts:

1. The 360's success showed Sony that they were not the "Gods of Consoles". They had to eat a lot of humble pie and change a lot of policies and attitudes.
  3. The Wii U is awful

I am not sure if there is a large number of 360 owners who switched to PS4, but I am certain Sony picked up a lot of Wii owners.

360 didn't show anything, their sale are about tied or the PS3 is leading. The PS3 taught the 360 a gaming lesson. The Wii handed out a lesson to both.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kingtito

@kratosyoloswag said:
@kingtito said:
@kratosyoloswag said:

I used to be a big Xbox fan. Jumped ship this gen alongside millions of other 360 gamers. Microsoft abandoned us by not releasing anymore games while also trying to pull off that that Kinect/DRM/TV shit. They deserved to lose this gen and they will by a long shot.

Yeah sure you were. I've NEVER seen you here as an Xbox fan ever. Last time I checked the 360 had more games that the PS3 AND was far from being short on them. Just more lame fanboy excuses from one of the biggest fanboys in SWs. Save your reply dude, we both know what you are.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

They won b/c MS fucked up.

Then they continued to win b/c they have decent first party games and the console is slightly more powerful.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 kingtito

@flyincloud1116 said:

@StormyJoe:

@StormyJoe said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

3. The Wii U is awful

360 didn't show anything, their sale are about tied or the PS3 is leading. The PS3 taught the 360 a gaming lesson. The Wii handed out a lesson to both.

More fanboy logic or lack there of. The 360 had more games not to mention more higher rated games.

Keep hating on that piece of plastic all you like but you don't have to lie to kick it.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

@kingtito said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

@StormyJoe:

@StormyJoe said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

3. The Wii U is awful

More fanboy logic or lack there of. The 360 had more games not to mention more higher rated games.

Keep hating on that piece of plastic all you like but you don't have to lie to kick it.

Uh no it didn't

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Flyincloud1116

@kingtito said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

@StormyJoe:

@StormyJoe said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

3. The Wii U is awful

So stating accepted truth is hating. Only fanboy here is you.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kingtito

@davem1992 said:
@kingtito said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

@StormyJoe:

@StormyJoe said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

3. The Wii U is awful

Uh no it didn't

Do some research. The 360 DID have more games AND more higher rated games at that. Already been well documented in SWs.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kingtito

@flyincloud1116 said:
@kingtito said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

@StormyJoe:

@StormyJoe said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

3. The Wii U is awful

State actual truth and I wouldn't have to say something. State fanboy lies and well, you know the answer.

BTW I'm a fanboy because YOU run around bashing other systems? You don't see me running around bashing the PS4, WiiU or anything else now do you. Great fanboy logic you got there kid.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

@kingtito said:
@davem1992 said:
@kingtito said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

@StormyJoe:

@StormyJoe said:

3. The Wii U is awful

Uh no it didn't

Do some research. The 360 DID have more games AND more higher rated games at that. Already been well documented in SWs.

I have researched it, it doesn't.

Don't care eitherway since I don't hate the 360 at all and want to rebuy it.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Flyincloud1116

@kingtito said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@kingtito said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

@StormyJoe:

@StormyJoe said:

3. The Wii U is awful

State actual truth and I wouldn't have to say something. State fanboy lies and well, you know the answer.

BTW I'm a fanboy because YOU run around bashing other systems? You don't see me running around bashing the PS4, WiiU or anything else now do you. Great fanboy logic you got there kid.

Boy you are silly. My comment must have really baked your noodle. I haven't bashed anything maam. This is SW and not less make woopee wars.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

I think partially the 360 and Xbox One made the PS4 sales higher this time around.

A few people got fed up with the reliability problems of the 360, that alone is enough to create a bad taste even if it is fixed in the new console.

The entire announcement of the Xbox One left their most of their potential customers with a overpriced TV box they didn't want.

The Wii/U has always been a second console for most so that didn't effect anything, besides the casual gamer has moved on to tablets.

The PS4 just won by default because it was the only one playing the game.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@flyincloud1116 said:

@StormyJoe:

@StormyJoe said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

3. The Wii U is awful

Sony sold 5 times as many (maybe more) of the PS2 than Microsoft sold of the original Xbox. You are incorrect.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

Okay.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 kingtito

@flyincloud1116 said:
@kingtito said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@kingtito said:
@flyincloud1116 said:

@StormyJoe:

Boy you are silly. My comment must have really baked your noodle. I haven't bashed anything maam. This is SW and not less make woopee wars.

SWs doesn't mean be a moron all the time. You seem to be.