DF: Xbox One X is the best way to play Witcher 3, very tangible advantage over even PC

• 84 results
Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Xplode_games
Member since 2011 • 2540 Posts

The advantage over PC is the HDR but they say it's a big deal. It makes the game look better than the PC version. Although the PC can get a patch in the future. Right now the Xbox One X version has HDR exclusivity.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7712 Posts

Nice "performance" mode

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

Keep in mind this is DF saying this, not Xplode.

I can already see people getting all butthurt over them saying this.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Another thread full of facts,brought you by OP

MooseWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MooseWayne
Member since 2017 • 361 Posts

Might get this I guess.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

It only took consoles 3 years to catch up to PC...

@Xplode_games said:

Right now the Xbox One X version has HDR exclusivity.

Please don't give Microsoft any more ideas for terms they can use in their next E3

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58380 Posts

The reasons PC gaming is superior to all other platforms is not solely due to visuals, so stop being a puppet of the advertisers. By the time they almost get 4K and HDR to be true 4K and HDR, 8K is going to be out and you will be repeating the cycle of nonsense all over again. Tell them you don't give a shit.

Play for the game's sake; The Witcher 3 is an incredible experience on whatever platform you prefer to play on, whether it's an Xbox One X running alleged-4K or a seven year old PC running at 720p.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11803 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: I swear HDR is the new "Can PC do HD/3D gaming!?" of this gen

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

Between Blood & Wine and Hearts of Stone, I really found myself loving Blood & Wine, it had the most beautiful city in all the game had to offer and I can see why DF wanted to do a vid on this expansion, it's well made beautiful content.

Looks like I'll be reinstalling Witcher 3 real soon on PC for my 4th playthough. (And this is why I'll never get through my backlog games, I keep replaying the same games lol)

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

Doesn't matter what system you play it on, it's a masterpiece that everyone should play!

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61509 Posts

I'll still take the performance edge. TW3 is actually alright at 30fps, but it's a world away from 60 and higher.

I'll be more interested in HDR once I buy a nicer TV this year.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

@Xplode_games said:
Loading Video...

The advantage over PC is the HDR but they say it's a big deal. It makes the game look better than the PC version. Although the PC can get a patch in the future. Right now the Xbox One X version has HDR exclusivity.

Considering that HDR TV's account for less then 1% of the market HDR is not a big deal or a selling point for 99% of people.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#16 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17834 Posts

@Xplode_games:

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

@davillain- said:

Between Blood & Wine and Hearts of Stone, I really found myself loving Blood & Wine, it had the most beautiful city in all the game had to offer and I can see why DF wanted to do a vid on this expansion, it's well made beautiful content.

Looks like I'll be reinstalling Witcher 3 real soon on PC for my 4th playthough. (And this is why I'll never get through my backlog games, I keep replaying the same games lol)

Yeah, same here. I can't get through my backlog because I keep playing games I can't finish like online FPS and RTS xD

But as long as you are having fun that's really all that matters!

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

DF are hacks. Please stop giving these guys clicks, they don't care how fun it is, just how many frames a game runs at.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

I'm not playing The Witcher 3 with a controller.

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

PC doesn't get HDR support because its Microsoft that fucked it up to begin with.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

im sorry but hdr is a game changer. only people who dont have it say its not

LoganX77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LoganX77
Member since 2017 • 1050 Posts

@Xplode_games: PS4 pro is getting it soon.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Watched this on my TV to see what the fuss is about, while the HDR is nice the motion blur and depth of field are horrendous, that's why the first thing I do with a new game is switch them off.

Add a good ENB and few other mods and PC still wins by a long way.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:

Why's that? It'd be awkward AF with KB+M.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

It is a gorgeous game that I am having fun with so far.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

It has been years when I played it. But after a quick search on Nexus it looks like there is at least one HDR mod that is around for 1.5 years. I haven't tried it, but it seems like HDR is at least modable. So yay for PC once again, we can add stuff we like

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:

LOL you can play it through KB/M but you won't get that far. The same goes to playing Cuphead. Playing Witcher 3 on PC with my Elite Controller makes this game easier, using KB/M just wasn't an option for me. Best thing I love about PC is you have choices to how you wanna play your games.

For me, KB/M-FPS & RTS only. Controller-Everything else.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@davillain- said:
@ezekiel43 said:

LOL you can play it through KB/M but you won't get that far. The same goes to playing Cuphead. Playing Witcher 3 on PC with my Elite Controller makes this game easier, using KB/M just wasn't an option for me. Best thing I love about PC is you have choices to how you wanna play your games.

I already played through it with a keyboard and mouse. (I actually don't know if I'll ever play through it again. I didn't find it that good. The combat was weak, the dialogue was bloated, the open world was largely tedious and the story was somewhat boring compared to the previous game.) It's funny that you say the best thing about PC is that you have options, after laughing out loud at my preference. Why did I play it with a keyboard and mouse? The game allows you to remap the keys/buttons and I find controllers clumsy. People say the same thing about the Batman games. That they're harder to play with a keyboard and mouse. But I manage just fine.

Loading Video...

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GarGx1

@davillain- said:
@ezekiel43 said:

I've played all of the Witcher games, several times, with a keyboard and mouse. Using a controller never even crossed my mind. In fact I play all games, apart from Forza (driving games) with a keyboard and mouse, I don't play fighters because they bore me to tears but as far as I'm aware they are best played with a stick anyway.

Everyone has their own preference but that of course is one of the great benefits of PC gaming, you can choose.

Crimson_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Crimson_V
Member since 2014 • 166 Posts

So HDR in spite of its lackluster adoption rate makes up for every disadvantage that consoles have, form terrible framerate, lower graphical settings, limited controller options, lack of mods etc., that shit all doesn't matter anymore.

I mean i have seen some HDR content and its neat and all, but its very far from a feature that would make the 1X version the "definitive edition".

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

So, HDR > 60+ FPS?

Okay, if you say so.

(Plays Witcher 3 in 1440p at 60FPS)

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#32 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Doesn't hold a consistent 60 FPS, goes into the 40's.

It's good for a console i suppose.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

No thanks. I'll continue to play Witcher at 1440p and Ultra settings with 60+fps + mods.

60+fps/ultra settings/mods is more important to me than HDR with 40fps and downgraded visuals.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

Oh hey look it’s the neighbourhood inept lemming pumping a 3 year old game as being the best on his brand new xbone x. I guess the bone is really the place to play old ass games in all their glory! Sad!

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

Errr, I don’t see what’s so difficult about playing it with a Keyboard/mouse. I guess double tapping movement keys to dodge could be a pain for some maybe, but other than that I didn’t find it to be any more difficult than any other 3rd person adventure game played with K/M.

HDR sounds nice, but I’ve already beaten it twice. Don’t think I could handle the choppiness on X1X just for HDR.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 QuadKnight

Funny thing is I play Witcher 3 with my PS4 controller on my PC. Works perfectly.

It's like I'm playing it on my PS4 Pro but the graphics are way better.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Did I read it right that it's roughly PS4 Pro settings, and only in 4k mode (30fps)? Meanwhile at reduced settings it can't hold 60fps due to the cpu. I'm not sure how anyone could argue it's better than the pc version with that reality, HDR or no. That being said, a big upgrade is a big upgrade, and the game is awesome - X1X owners get something to smile about here

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

@quadknight said:

Funny thing is I play Witcher 3 with my PS4 controller on my PC. Works perfectly.

It's like I'm playing it on my PS4 Pro but the graphics are way better.

PC always wins broski, but the "HDR" and it's hype has people talking about it.

HDR is beautiful, but this is a small bump to consoles, PC has had HDR for years now, and with PC monitors with HDR dropping in price, this will change soon.

Can't deny Xbox has the small edge on this port though, but it won't last.. and even I can see that.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 QuadKnight

@FLOPPAGE_50: ? True dat bro. HDR is a nice feather in the cap for MS right now. I have to admit I’m a bit jealous the PC version doesn’t have HDR support yet.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@GarGx1 said:
@davillain- said:
@ezekiel43 said:

I've played all of the Witcher games, several times, with a keyboard and mouse. Using a controller never even crossed my mind. In fact I play all games, apart from Forza (driving games) with a keyboard and mouse, I don't play fighters because they bore me to tears but as far as I'm aware they are best played with a stick anyway.

Everyone has their own preference but that of course is one of the great benefits of PC gaming, you can choose.

I'm with Davillain on this one. I play FPS and TPS (like The Division, GR Wildlands, SpecOps The Line, Warframe - ok so this is far more than TPS with its parkour and melee mechanics) with KB/M, and my XB1 controller for action adventure and most everything else. With Witcher 3 I found the controls more intuitive with controller, combat in combining sword attacks, with jumping, rolling, spell casting, much more fluid with controller. Similarly in Rise of the Tomb Raider, navigating the terrain with the platforming mechanics.

But as you say, preference is key, and it's great to get the best of both worlds.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

Keep in mind this is DF saying this, not Xplode.

I can already see people getting all butthurt over them saying this.

What DF said:

"best way to play the game on console"

"For our money, the 4K mode on Xbox One X gives the smoothest, best-looking take on The Witcher 3 outside of the PC space."

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7712 Posts

@AdobeArtist said:
@GarGx1 said:
@davillain- said:
@ezekiel43 said:

I'm with Davillain on this one. I play FPS and TPS (like The Division, GR Wildlands, SpecOps The Line, Warframe - ok so this is far more than TPS with its parkour and melee mechanics) with KB/M, and my XB1 controller for action adventure and most everything else. With Witcher 3 I found the controls more intuitive with controller, combat in combining sword attacks, with jumping, rolling, spell casting, much more fluid with controller. Similarly in Rise of the Tomb Raider, navigating the terrain with the platforming mechanics.

But as you say, preference is key, and it's great to get the best of both worlds.

About that, using signs/items is much better with keyboard as you dont have to fiddle through menus all the time so I'd say that's more fluid

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GarGx1

@howmakewood said:
@AdobeArtist said:
@GarGx1 said:
@davillain- said:
@ezekiel43 said:

About that, using signs/items is much better with keyboard as you dont have to fiddle through menus all the time so I'd say that's more fluid

There is nothing fluid about a radial menu compared to single key press selection and that goes for any game, not just The Witcher 3.

It doesn't only come down the mouse accuracy and turning speed, the advantage of having the ability to map as many keys to whatever function you need them to do far out weighs the softer motion control you get from controller thumb sticks. I even have a lapboard (it's wooden board wrapped in PVC :) ), wireless keyboard and mouse for playing single player games on my TV.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

It can't even hold 60 fps in performance mode, rofl.

And Witcher 3's colour palette is inaccurate no matter what display you have. It looks far superior on a non-HDR monitor with colour correction through Reshade than on an HDR TV where the flawed colour palette is just accentuated even further.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#45 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Some websites said PUBG was better on XBOX One part 2 as well.

Loading Video...

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By UssjTrunks

@stereointegrity said:

im sorry but hdr is a game changer. only people who dont have it say its not

You can literally go into any Best Buy and look at the HDR display units versus the non-HDR units. It's a bit nicer, but hardly the enormous difference fanboys make it out to be. The TVs are absolutely not worth their price tag yet.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By UssjTrunks

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Doesn't matter what system you play it on, it's a masterpiece that everyone should play!

Best game ever made. People are gushing over BOTW this year, but BOTW can't even hold a candle to TW3, and I loved BOTW.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11803 Posts

@pelvist: That video had me dying XD

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#49  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34666 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:
@davillain- said:
@ezekiel43 said:

I already played through it with a keyboard and mouse. (I actually don't know if I'll ever play through it again. I didn't find it that good. The combat was weak, the dialogue was bloated, the open world was largely tedious and the story was somewhat boring compared to the previous game.) It's funny that you say the best thing about PC is that you have options, after laughing out loud at my preference. Why did I play it with a keyboard and mouse? The game allows you to remap the keys/buttons and I find controllers clumsy. People say the same thing about the Batman games. That they're harder to play with a keyboard and mouse. But I manage just fine.

Loading Video...

People who say Batman is easier with a controller = people who suck with KB+M. If you're good with both, playing with KB+M is an advantage over controller as you can't be as fast with a controller.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

The Pee Seas are very Salty for this time of year mah friends. lol

It's good to be MonsterBox MasterRace... Baby!!! :P