DF Direct: Xbox Series X to run on Xbox One is good or bad?

• 83 results
xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#51 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@phbz: that's impossible

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 0

#52 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

@xantufrog: I know, maybe next gen we'll finally get the tech.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts

Makes sense from a business standpoint overall (cost of production is just insane these days) but i wonder if they should have one show piece title made just to run on the XsX at launch. A Crysis: something that makes people think "Oh god i want to upgrade".

Even if they make a loss on it directly it would tempt more people into upgrading to the new console and speed up the transition from the X1 and X1X to the XsX. It could also get a lot of other peoples attention.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#54 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts

@osan0 said:

Makes sense from a business standpoint overall (cost of production is just insane these days) but i wonder if they should have one show piece title made just to run on the XsX at launch. A Crysis: something that makes people think "Oh god i want to upgrade".

I think that will be the new Hellblade game.

The models they showed in the trailer looked incredibly detailed. They will likely have to render the assets with less polygons and lower resolutions textures on the older consoles. Probably ray tracing too on the XSX and PCs with RTX cards. That's not a big deal though and shouldn't prevent them from releasing across many devices. It will certainly look better on the XSX and high-end PCs.

I'm not even sure the 'Oh god I want to upgrade' is that important. Hardware sales usually have very low margins. Software sales and services is where the money is.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts

@pyro1245: In terms of profit: yeah there isnt much in gaming consoles themselves. But momentum is critically important in the console business. More momentum means more software sales and more people using your services. It means more people talking and being excited for the new console.

MS are coming off the back of, lets face it, a bit of a hiding from the PS4. The X1 project, as a whole, cannot be called a success within MS HQ. The X1 launch was a disaster and they never really recovered. It's not specs or services that will sell the XsX: it's the games at the end of the day.

The last thing MS need is headlines like "XsX consoles sitting on shelves as gamers take a wait and see approach" or something to that effect. That kind of thing can kill momentum.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@phbz said:

@tormentos: Yes, everything must remain forever the same!

Yes everything most change because MS does it,that is why we now pay for online play,and why we can't stop been milked by downloadable content because everything MS does is great.

Why doesn't MS copy free online from PC?

@saltslasher said:

John Linneman is usually not so thick skulled, but says all this shit, but contradicts what he's saying, and taking such a stupid stance. Just feels like if Sony did this, people would be talking about how genius it is.

Bro talks how its a bad thing, yet points out that launch games are often on both, only difference won't be the few not on last gen, which isn't really a big deal.

Rise of the Tomb Raider was their favorite benchmark game, and it was years later, and his whole point is out the window, cause another team built the game for the 360, meaning, the game was built for Xbox One, meaning the team wasn't trying to make it work on 360, it was another team who took the work and figured it out. And stupidest fucking part about it, all these developers who been fitting big fucking games on Switch, Witcher 3 and shit. Does he think some magical development kit will come that won't allow teams to undo things, "oh gee, can't do RTX, cause One can't do it". We've seen with enhanced games, built way before we knew what 8th gen systems were, and they now play dope as ****, even if shitty ass tech at launch, they could easily remastered them using any new tech.

I just think its stupid as **** to assume all 1st party studios are gonna hold back on their games simply cause MS plans to put them on both gens. Like just assuming all teams will be asked to hold back, when really, all teams will make games per usual, and then other teams will take the game and make it work, just like we've always seen.

Look at Halo and Hellblade, and then look at Sony's logo, I mean you really worried about Xbox's quality of game.....give me a break.

Is naive to think that they will put as much effort one a Series X version as they will on the other 2,the series X dev kit probably isn't finalyse,yet work is at full steam on the other 2 platforms,having multiple version means MULTIPLE testing it requires more time and resources period is always like that.

Is the reason why some developer didn't even bother to bring PS3 on par or close to 360 for years,some games didn't use SPE,and some were so freaking lasy that they even left 360 wording inside PS3 version of their games while making the ports,like it was the case with COD.

Which even had a message saying ""No party chat available"" on damn PS3 game that sad was,fact is most developer will take a game to certain point then release it because of time and money.

And MS doesn't have a stelar record on this either we know what happen to several exclusives that were been made for the console this gen.

That bold part really made me laugh,because Halo which is releasing on all platforms look way behind Hellblade 2 which is set for release 1 year or 2 latter,they don't even look close i wonder why.

But you lemmigs are right you can port everything to anydevice.

Loading Video...

But do you really want it.?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

@tormentos: You pay for online because of MS? You keep posting this stupid argument through the years but it doesn't stop sounding stupid. It sucks playing for online, but it's Sony decision and responsibility to follow MS footsteps.

Best thing is that right now MS is the only one that gives you the possibility to play all their games online for free. But I guess that completely flew over your head.

Sony does an exceptional job with their business model. Nintendo is doing great too with their own. MS is trying to build a business model that plays to their strengths too. IMO the best possible scenario is each one achieving success without being all basically the same.

It's not changing just for the sake of it, it's a move that makes complete sense. Same as Nintendo consolidating their mobile and home markets into one, it's only logic that MS does the same with their console and PC markets.

Now cows like you feel threatened because of this change in the status quo but there's no need for it. Sony will still be king.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@davillain-:

For CPU factor, to double frame rates from solid 30 hz to solid 60 hz, CPU needs to double its instructions per clock or data processing per clock which similar clocked Zen v1 can deliver.

Solid 30 hz/60 hz frame rates will need extra CPU headroom.

Jaguar CPU

Two 64bit Integers (general purpose)

Two Address Generator Units. Not symmetrical.

One 128 bit FADD

One 128 bit FMUL

One 128 bit Load unit

One 128 bit Store unit

Zen v1 CPU

Four 64bit Integers (general purpose)

Two Address Generator Units.

Two 128 bit FADD

Two 128 bit FMUL/FMAC

Two 128 bit Load unit

One 128 bit Store unit

Zen v2 CPU

Four 64bit Integers (general purpose)

Three Address Generator Units.

Two 256 bit FADD

Two 256 bit FMUL/FMAC

Two 256 bit Load unit

One 256 bit Store unit

At the same clock speed, Zen 2 is 4X over Jaguar on data processing.

For 120 hz target, CPU should be 4X over Jaguar.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By ronvalencia

@tormentos said:
@phbz said:

@tormentos: Yes, everything must remain forever the same!

Yes everything most change because MS does it,that is why we now pay for online play,and why we can't stop been milked by downloadable content because everything MS does is great.

Why doesn't MS copy free online from PC?

PC OS and drivers are maintained by the user or the user's IT support.

Xbox OS and drivers are maintained by MS. MS is directly responsible for XBO's OS maintenance.

The only time MS is directly responsible for Windows PCs is with its Surface products.

For example

Some people posted about unstable Ryzen mobile drivers with HP laptops on MS forums and MS support staff directed the users to HP's support. Without B2B support contracts, MS will not maintain/support another brand OEM PC. Prior to December 2018 , both AMD and HP are blaming each other(ping-pong) on unstable Ryzen mobile laptops until AMD owns up to the fuking mess and promise stable drivers for Ryzen mobile. I was so close throwing my laptop to a brick wall and start legal action! Ryzen mobile owners have about 1 year of unstable Ryzen drivers from about Nov 2017 to Dec 2018. AMD drivers were unstable (e.g. BSOD with Chrome, Windows Vista era BSOD level occurrences) worst than Intel 620/640 IGP drivers. Many companies have canceled/avoided Ryzen mobile laptop deployment until AMD fixes its drivers. AMD shouldn't mess with business PCs. The context for mobile Ryzen 4000 APU's Vega IGP is based on driver stability and maturity. Atm, mobile Ryzen drivers are stable.

I have my Surface Pro 5 tablet as a backup.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

@tormentos: I hope you're happy with what you've done. Now he's here!

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

@phbz said:

@tormentos: I hope you're happy with what you've done. Now he's here!

We all need to run... @ronvalencia will just go off the rails... Burn the thread.. Burn it down!!!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#62 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69816 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

We all need to run... @ronvalencia will just go off the rails... Burn the thread.. Burn it down!!!

"XSX GPU can be 60 CU with the following configuration

Config 1

Three RDNA Shader Engines. Each RDNA Shader Engine has 20 CU. Two CUs are closely glued together as DCU (dual CU).

Config 2

Two RDNA Shader Engines. Each RDNA Shader Engine has 30 CU. Two CUs are closely glued together as DCU (dual CU).

Backgound information on RDNA GPU design framework

Two CUs are binded together as DCU (Dual CU).

Config 1 has the benefit with scaling RBE (Render Balckend) and Geometry Prim Units scaling with CU count.

Config 2 has diminishing returns with additional CUs. Fury X/Vega raster graphics IPC degradation (which is not a problem for server TFLOPS workloads).

Known RDNA deployment

NAVI 10's Shader Engine has 20 CU. NAVI 10 has two Shader Engines

NAVI 14's single Shader Engine has 24 CU.

RX-5600 XT has NAVI 10 with 192 bits bus which is first time AMD was able to follow NVIDIA's Pascal/Turing 192 bit bus design, hence extra BOM cost flexibility for AMD.

https://hothardware.com/news/microsoft-xbox-series-x-holiday-2020-zen-2-amd-rdna

Getting down to brass tacks, Microsoft says that it is using a "custom designed" AMD Zen 2-based processor (although early reports have indicated that it will be based on an 8-core/16-thread Ryzen 3000 design) and "next generation" RDNA graphics architecture

Microsoft claims "next generation" RDNA graphics architecture which points to "RDNA 2".

RDNA 2 includes 7nm+ EUV with 20 percent increase density.

https://www.techpowerup.com/254656/amd-zen3-to-leverage-7nm-euv-for-20-transistor-density-increase?cp=2

7 nm+ EUV (extreme ultraviolet) silicon fabrication node at TSMC, which promises a significant 20 percent increase in transistor densities compared to the 7 nm DUV (deep ultraviolet) node

325 mm2 with "7nm+ EUV" roughly equalvent to 390 mm2 size GPU under 1st gen 7nm DUV node

Microsoft confirm their Scarlet APU has "RDNA 2"."

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#63 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20130 Posts

@Pedro said:
@lundy86_4 said:

"XSX GPU can be 60 CU with the following configuration

Config 1

Three RDNA Shader Engines. Each RDNA Shader Engine has 20 CU. Two CUs are closely glued together as DCU (dual CU).

Config 2

Two RDNA Shader Engines. Each RDNA Shader Engine has 30 CU. Two CUs are closely glued together as DCU (dual CU).

Backgound information on RDNA GPU design framework

Two CUs are binded together as DCU (Dual CU).

Config 1 has the benefit with scaling RBE (Render Balckend) and Geometry Prim Units scaling with CU count.

Config 2 has diminishing returns with additional CUs. Fury X/Vega raster graphics IPC degradation (which is not a problem for server TFLOPS workloads).

Known RDNA deployment

NAVI 10's Shader Engine has 20 CU. NAVI 10 has two Shader Engines

NAVI 14's single Shader Engine has 24 CU.

RX-5600 XT has NAVI 10 with 192 bits bus which is first time AMD was able to follow NVIDIA's Pascal/Turing 192 bit bus design, hence extra BOM cost flexibility for AMD.

https://hothardware.com/news/microsoft-xbox-series-x-holiday-2020-zen-2-amd-rdna

Getting down to brass tacks, Microsoft says that it is using a "custom designed" AMD Zen 2-based processor (although early reports have indicated that it will be based on an 8-core/16-thread Ryzen 3000 design) and "next generation" RDNA graphics architecture

Microsoft claims "next generation" RDNA graphics architecture which points to "RDNA 2".

RDNA 2 includes 7nm+ EUV with 20 percent increase density.

https://www.techpowerup.com/254656/amd-zen3-to-leverage-7nm-euv-for-20-transistor-density-increase?cp=2

7 nm+ EUV (extreme ultraviolet) silicon fabrication node at TSMC, which promises a significant 20 percent increase in transistor densities compared to the 7 nm DUV (deep ultraviolet) node

325 mm2 with "7nm+ EUV" roughly equalvent to 390 mm2 size GPU under 1st gen 7nm DUV node

Microsoft confirm their Scarlet APU has "RDNA 2"."

Oh no! Pedro's been assimilated!

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 tormentos

@Pedro:

😂😂😂 You freaking fooled me..I was like whattt...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Pedro

@Zero_epyon: @tormentos

😂😂😂
😂😂😂

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9556 Posts

@Pedro: LMAO!

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#67 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9580 Posts

@osan0 said:

@pyro1245: In terms of profit: yeah there isnt much in gaming consoles themselves. But momentum is critically important in the console business. More momentum means more software sales and more people using your services. It means more people talking and being excited for the new console.

MS are coming off the back of, lets face it, a bit of a hiding from the PS4. The X1 project, as a whole, cannot be called a success within MS HQ. The X1 launch was a disaster and they never really recovered. It's not specs or services that will sell the XsX: it's the games at the end of the day.

The last thing MS need is headlines like "XsX consoles sitting on shelves as gamers take a wait and see approach" or something to that effect. That kind of thing can kill momentum.

I agree with this, since by the time the next gen exclusives are ready just about all momentum and hype for the console could be just about gone.

However, I guess in retrospect if they push the "first way of exclusive games" 2 years down the road then maybe those that already upgraded will feel rewarded and those that haven't upgraded yet will feel there is a reason.

If I was a betting man (which I happen to be) I would put my money on the first scenario though and wouldn't play with fire. You know what they say.. you play with fire, you get burned.

I know it isn't like they can't pull this off, I just think it was a bad approach. Why not at least have a COUPLE next gen exclusives, even if they just bought a couple 3rd party games kind of like what SONY did with Godfall.

People respond to action... it doesn't matter how good the action is. While that might sound stupid to a lot of us here, since we know how the industry works, the casual gamer will be drawn more to the promise of "now" and "immediate bang for the buck" as opposed to wait and see, or wait and be rewarded.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#68 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9580 Posts
@phbz said:

@tormentos: You pay for online because of MS? You keep posting this stupid argument through the years but it doesn't stop sounding stupid. It sucks playing for online, but it's Sony decision and responsibility to follow MS footsteps.

Best thing is that right now MS is the only one that gives you the possibility to play all their games online for free. But I guess that completely flew over your head.

Sony does an exceptional job with their business model. Nintendo is doing great too with their own. MS is trying to build a business model that plays to their strengths too. IMO the best possible scenario is each one achieving success without being all basically the same.

It's not changing just for the sake of it, it's a move that makes complete sense. Same as Nintendo consolidating their mobile and home markets into one, it's only logic that MS does the same with their console and PC markets.

Now cows like you feel threatened because of this change in the status quo but there's no need for it. Sony will still be king.

It was SONY's decision to follow in their footsteps, but after the precedent was made they weren't in a position to just leave all that money laying on the table. They needed it as a company a lot more than MS did. Not defending or trashing either side here, just saying. I'm sure it would have happened both ways regardless of who started it eventually anyways though.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#69 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9822 Posts

@tormentos: "Why doesn't MS copy free online from PC?"

Uh....because PC isn't a company?

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11620 Posts

@Pedro:

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#71 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

Dont see the problem. Next gen games will barely look better than current gen. They can scale down perfectly...

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 tormentos
@ronvalencia said:

Xbox OS and drivers are maintained by MS. MS is directly responsible for XBO's OS maintenance.

Yeah that is a lie xbox live is also on PC and so is MS store and those are mantained by MS and still are FREE.

Forza Horizon uses MS servers on PC and on xbox but on PC is free on xbox it cost money,so again you are wrong.

@phbz said:

MS set the stage for it period no one charge for online play but MS period,Sony refuse to for 2 complete generations,while YOU people did nothing but justify that crap.

Fact is if MS would have not charge we would not be paying for online play NOW.

Free? Did MS cancel xbox live and i miss it? Last time i cheked live cost $60 a year so hardly you can play free online on any xbox machine.

MS is just trying to get as much profits as it can because xbox one exclusives even while been on PC some don't sell like they did on xbox 360,hell no Halo on xbox one has come close to sell what they sold on 360,several of its games have flopped sales wise even while been on PC and this is a busyness which is why games started to show on PC,and now they don't want to kill the older version as a new version loom again setting a presedent,again why they don't copy the good things of PC like free online play.

PC markets is not MS they don't own the PC market as it is an open platform,this move by MS will hurt xbox series X sales,and will stall sales of the newer console,and slow adoption rate which is need it for profitability not only of MS but also for 3rd parties.

There is no incentive to get an xbox series X with the XOS been sold for $199 or less and the X for $300+.

Yeah we feel threatened from a company who could not beat sony even when it was on the brick of bankruptsy.lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

@tormentos: Fact is no one forced Sony to follow the Xbox. You can spin it how you want it, unless the people in front of Sony were children or mentally challenged it's really 100% on Sony. Blaming others for your own flaws is so immature.

You can play every new Xbox release on PC, and you can play their online games without paying for any subscription. Like I've said, I guess that completely went over your mind in you blind hate. If you want to play Xbox games and are against paying for online MS has that option for you. Sony not doing so must be MS fault too. Right? Or are you starting to demand the same from Sony?

I only started "paying for online" when games with gold became a thing. As I mostly don't play online games, much less on the 360 era.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

2 years is far too long, it also sucks that there won't be a first party game to really show off the new hardware. Turning up a few settings is not the same as a dedicated built game.

I know the game wasn't great but Ryse looked incredible and wouldn't have looked as good if it had to also target the 360. Just like Kameo which was a decent game showed off the 360.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Zero_epyon

@APiranhaAteMyVa said:

2 years is far too long, it also sucks that there won't be a first party game to really show off the new hardware. Turning up a few settings is not the same as a dedicated built game.

I know the game wasn't great but Ryse looked incredible and wouldn't have looked as good if it had to also target the 360. Just like Kameo which was a decent game showed off the 360.

Exactly. Good luck trying to get that point to stick with some people.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 tormentos

@phbz said:

@tormentos: Fact is no one forced Sony to follow the Xbox. You can spin it how you want it, unless the people in front of Sony were children or mentally challenged it's really 100% on Sony. Blaming others for your own flaws is so immature.

You can play every new Xbox release on PC, and you can play their online games without paying for any subscription. Like I've said, I guess that completely went over your mind in you blind hate. If you want to play Xbox games and are against paying for online MS has that option for you. Sony not doing so must be MS fault too. Right? Or are you starting to demand the same from Sony?

I only started "paying for online" when games with gold became a thing. As I mostly don't play online games, much less on the 360 era.

Fact is MS made it OK period Nintendo does it as well,no one can complain about it because you people defended that crap and some sites as well,alto many other sites attacked MS charge.

Well ON PC that has always been the case,i am sure if sony release a game on PC you will not be charge for PSN,but on xbox yeah you have to pay,and is not like people will pay for live on PC and MS does know that.

MS doesn't have the option PC does and most people on PC will simply not pay for live period.

lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

@tormentos: You should apply for mental gymnastics at the special Olympics.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ronvalencia

@tormentos said:
@ronvalencia said:

Yeah that is a lie xbox live is also on PC and so is MS store and those are mantained by MS and still are FREE.

Forza Horizon uses MS servers on PC and on xbox but on PC is free on xbox it cost money,so again you are wrong.

1. Windows 10 has Android business model with embedded Bing market analytics. Nothing is FREE.

2. Microsoft is using low-cost Windows entry as extra leverage for other Microsoft products such as Office

Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Steppy_76
Member since 2005 • 2857 Posts

This is first party only for two years? So all this this affects what maybe 10 titles or so? Even if it were the worst thing in the world in the end it'll effect almost nothing. Let's make mountains out of molehills some more people.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Pedro

@phbz: He will lose if Ron is also applying 😂

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 ronvalencia

@Pedro said:

You have been reported.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Zero_epyon

@ronvalencia said:
@Pedro said:

You have been reported.

How's that been working for you?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Jesus, can this antagonizing between Ron and others stop? It sure looks like it's going both ways to me - personal attacks and bait.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56227 Posts

@xantufrog said:

Jesus, can this antagonizing between Ron and others stop? It sure looks like it's going both ways to me - personal attacks and bait.

I gave up on Ron, it's like talking to brick wall at this point -_-