Developing on PS3 first then porting to XBOX360 is the way to go!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

superjim42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 superjim42
Member since 2005 • 3588 Posts

finally some devs who now how to dev! following in the footsteps of other devs who have managed to create successfull ports of multiplat games. what im talking about is developing on ps3 first and then porting over to xbox360 this ensures both platforms receive the best possible quality and most identical experiences and ensures no version is left gimped. this is how it should be done just like criterion did with burnout paradise and few other devs who started on ps3 first.

this is the ghostbuster devs this time and its right here in this link:

http://ps3.qj.net/Terminal-Reality-prefers-working-on-Ghostbusters-PS3-first-before-other-versions/pg/49/aid/119441

Pietrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Pietrooper
Member since 2008 • 1549 Posts
Best thing is working on them seperately, really like CoD4.
superjim42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 superjim42

Best thing is working on them seperately, really like CoD4.Pietrooper

yes but for a dev team who may not have the resources or enough man power to handle two seperate development teams at the same time this is the best option.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

yes because the ps3 is both inferior in power, developer, and architecture.
The system just cant handle all the advanced programming that is done on the 360, so it comes out crappy, but the inferior stuff? the 360 looks at it and is like i can handle that now see what i can do with it!

lol

arabi_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 arabi_89
Member since 2006 • 1299 Posts

The system just cant handle all the advanced programming that is done on the 360, so it comes out crappy, but the inferior stuff? the 360 looks at it and is like i can handle that now see what i can do with it!

lol

WilliamRLBaker

wow :shock:

MojondeVACA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MojondeVACA
Member since 2008 • 3916 Posts
No,and i care a rat ass if the ports that ps3 is getting dont run well as the PC or xbox360 version.
FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts
[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

lol

arabi_89

my first instinct was wow also, but then was replaced with laughter then side splitting pain :cry:

Pietrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Pietrooper
Member since 2008 • 1549 Posts
[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

lol

arabi_89

Unbiased posts in System Wars are rare to come by.

superjim42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 superjim42

lol

WilliamRLBaker

ahaha you obviously have no idea what you are talking about

arabi_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 arabi_89
Member since 2006 • 1299 Posts

just kidding :P

WilliamRLBaker

corrected!

this looks much better now...

superjim42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 superjim42
[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

just kidding :P

arabi_89

corrected!

this looks much better now...

lol ye good one! but seriously i think its good some devs are taking the time to make sure people are recieving identical experiences something ubisoft should try do more often i.e. splinter cell double agent :|

MojondeVACA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MojondeVACA
Member since 2008 • 3916 Posts
Terminal Reality Good Devs :lol:, that was a good joke :lol:
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

lol

WilliamRLBaker
My intelligence meter is off the charts.
Patriot298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Patriot298
Member since 2006 • 1187 Posts

Yep it is better to develop on the PS3 first because the 360 can handle anything ported from the PS3. However we know the PS3 stutters when the opposite is done because in REALITY it's even weaker than a mid range PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
deactivated-6075a5c511e8b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 deactivated-6075a5c511e8b
Member since 2005 • 7222 Posts

lol

WilliamRLBaker

Your logic wins!

colmusterd28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 colmusterd28
Member since 2006 • 2854 Posts
and who exactly to you develop for...?
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17426 Posts

finally some devs who now how to dev! following in the footsteps of other devs who have managed to create successfull ports of multiplat games. what im talking about is developing on ps3 first and then porting over to xbox360 this ensures both platforms receive the best possible quality and most identical experiences and ensures no version is left gimped. this is how it should be done just like criterion did with burnout paradise and few other devs who started on ps3 first.

http://ps3.qj.net/Terminal-Reality-prefers-working-on-Ghostbusters-PS3-first-before-other-versions/pg/49/aid/119441

superjim42

So, in theory, this proves that the PS3(as a whole) is not more powerful than the 360 right? i mean if it was, why would it be a problem developing on the "weaker" system first and porting to the "more powerful" system? Your logic says the exact opposite, that the PS3 GPU is weaker than the 360's, so its easier to create games on the weaker GPU and porting to to the more powerful one. I think most people forget the the cell in the PS3 is a CPU, and doesnt control graphics, it only processes information, but it is alot more powerful than the 360's CPU, but thats pointless if the GPU cant handle all that power:)

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts

superjim42

ya everyone else just creates games as a hobby :roll:

legol1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 legol1
Member since 2005 • 1998 Posts
my guess is the big difference between ps3 and 360 is the ram with a unified ram the 360 is more flexible than the ps3 with his 2 memory pool so developing first on the ps3 seem logical dont you think ?
UpSwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 UpSwing
Member since 2004 • 3384 Posts

Number of Next Gen games made by Terminal Reality = 0

Number of AAA games made by these guys = 0

Number of AA games made by these guys = 0

Yeah. We should really be putting lots of stock into what they have to say LOL

And ontop of all that, this new Ghostbustes game looks like an Xbox ONE game.

They are only saying anything postitive about the PS3 ( which they have ZERO experience with ) because SONY pictures OWNS the license to Ghostbusters.

rappid_rabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rappid_rabbit
Member since 2007 • 900 Posts

Well you get this from PS3 fanboys when they port to the PS3 "You have to dev for teh weaker system, first, so they can make sure they can do everything in the first place lulz"

I guess youll get the opposite here from Xbox 360 fanboys...

Nevermind that Ghostbusters film and property rights are owned by Columbia...a Sony company, and why not try to pump up the company product?

FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FragTycoon
[QUOTE="superjim42"]

navyguy21

So, in theory, this proves that the PS3(as a whole) is not more powerful than the 360 right? i mean if it was, why would it be a problem developing on the "weaker" system first and porting to the "more powerful" system? Your logic says the exact opposite, that the PS3 GPU is weaker than the 360's, so its easier to create games on the weaker GPU and porting to to the more powerful one. I think most people forget the the cell in the PS3 is a CPU, and doesnt control graphics, it only processes information, but it is alot more powerful than the 360's CPU, but thats pointless if the GPU cant handle all that power:)

At no point in that link did i see the developer mention performence, just the ease of porting the game over.

So, in theory, pac-man could be developed for ps3 and be ported over too 360 in a much simpler and more efficient procedure.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

what im talking about is developing on ps3 first and then porting over to xbox360 this ensures both platforms receive the best possible quality and most identical experiences and ensures no version is left gimped.

superjim42

While this isn't entirely true but....

If you develop on the 360 and port to PS3 the PS3 port is going to be noticably inferior

If you develop on the PS3 and port to 360 you get a pretty much equal turnout with the PS3 version slighty better around the edges.

Bottom line is if you are porting to the 360 you might be gimping a little. But it does show you how complex and more difficult the PS3 architecture is then the 360.

Franco-J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Franco-J
Member since 2003 • 1435 Posts

This is true. It is a good method to follow when you're cost-effectively designing multiplat games. The 360 GPU is more powerful, and devs have more ram available at any given time than on the PS3. If you want relative equality between versions, logic dictates that you develop for the lowest common denominator, the PS3. I am more than sure that in-denial fanboys will protest this, but not even ignorance can shield you from this simple truth.

farrell2k

That is exactly correct. Sony sheeple definitely wont like it though...

NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts
[QUOTE="farrell2k"]

This is true. It is a good method to follow when you're cost-effectively designing multiplat games. The 360 GPU is more powerful, and devs have more ram available at any given time than on the PS3. If you want relative equality between versions, logic dictates that you develop for the lowest common denominator, the PS3. I am more than sure that in-denial fanboys will protest this, but not even ignorance can shield you from this simple truth.

Franco-J

That is exactly correct. Sony sheeple definitely wont like it though...

No, I dont like it. :evil:

Seriously though, what do you know about each conole? Really? do you actually know which is more powerful? the wanswer is no, i dont know either, I dont pretend to. So stop with the fanboy comments.

shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts

Best thing is working on them seperately, really like CoD4.Pietrooper

any other way and it won't be optimized good enough.

FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FragTycoon

I do but imnot telling :D

lol :P

The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#30 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

lol

WilliamRLBaker

Uh...wow. :|

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

lol

WilliamRLBaker

I know where you are coming from. Because I read why dev's port from PS3 to 360. One of the reason being that PS3 has locked RAM and not unified RAM. Plus it doesn't use a frame buffer (10 MB of EDRAM) for AA or have a complex GPU.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

lol

The_Game21x

Uh...wow. :|

My thoughts exactly. What is up with some of the pro-360 crowd in this forum?