Deus Ex: HR To support FXAA - on PC at least.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Looks like the DX11 renderer for Deus Ex: Human Revolution will support a native implementation of FXAA.

Is this the first title that natively implements FXAA?

You can force FXAA on the PC thanks to DX injection mods which is cool, but obviously a native implementaiton should look even better.

Anyone know if it made it to consoles too?

I kind of feel bad for consolites having to suffer jaggie attacks in their games, and FXAA can be the solution they've been hoping for.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11802 Posts

Looks like the DX11 renderer for Deus Ex: Human Revolution will support a native implementation of FXAA.

Is this the first title that natively implements FXAA?

You can force FXAA on the PC thanks to DX injection mods which is cool, but obviously a native implementaiton should look even better.

Anyone know if it made it to consoles too?

I kind of feel bad for consolites having to suffer jaggie attacks in their games, and FXAA can be the solution they've been hoping for.

Kinthalis

Will there ever be a comparison of the PC settings?

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

FXAA is garbage

just let me use normal AA

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

Nice all games on the PC should have an option for FXAA or MLAA.

GenTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#5 GenTom
Member since 2005 • 5945 Posts
whats the difference between FXAA/MLAA etc. compared to normal AA?
dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts
whats the difference between FXAA/MLAA etc. compared to normal AA?GenTom
Yes, this please. AA is already a pretty graphic intensive setting. Are these less intensive solutions?
GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#7 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
whats the difference between FXAA/MLAA etc. compared to normal AA?GenTom
Normal AA (let's just take MSAA in this case) reduces the quality of textures even less, and MSAA looks much much better in motion and deals with AAing objects in the distance better. Just to name a few.
G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 G-Lord
Member since 2004 • 2141 Posts

[QUOTE="GenTom"]whats the difference between FXAA/MLAA etc. compared to normal AA?dommeus
Yes, this please. AA is already a pretty graphic intensive setting. Are these less intensive solutions?

Exactly. They should both be much less demanding. I'm currently using an FXAA mod on some games and I'm pleasantly surprised. The AMD MLAA didn't work that good for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-635525971e920
deactivated-635525971e920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-635525971e920
Member since 2009 • 429 Posts

The PC version of Duke Nukem Forever was, AFAIK, the first game to natively support FXAA. :)

I haven't tried it myself, but the PC version of F.E.A.R. 3 supposedly features built-in FXAA as well.

Reiko2K1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Reiko2K1
Member since 2004 • 1288 Posts

Console versions are using FXAA too. Check Lens of Truth

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kinthalis

Traditional AA come sin two flavors:

Super-Sampling renders severla times the number of picels on your screen in roder to create pretty much a completley jaggie free frame. IT eats up video RAM and processing like there's no tomorrow, which is why no one uses it, except on older titles.

Multi-Sampling takes shortcuts, which means it doesn't do as good a job as SSAA, but it eats up less performance and vidoe buffer. The hit on both, however is still significant, specially at 4x and higher quality settings.

FXAA and MLAA are post-processing effects. They bypass traditional AA techniques entirely, and instead employ an edge detecting algorythim that happens AFTER the frame is rendered. Once the edges are detected, it blends pixels, smoothign out jaggies. It's not as good as high quality MSAA, and definitley not as good as SSAA, at least for now, but it's better than no AA or even low quality traditional AA.

Most importanly, it is essentially free on the PC, and only slightly taxign for consoles to do. MUCH cheaper than using MSAA or SSAA.

At this point in time, if your PC hardware can run MSAA without any issues for particular game, I'd definitely stick to that. IT has access to a lot more subpixel information, it will definitely look better.

But if not, fXAA is a great solution, and will probably allow you increae graphics settings and/or resolution over what you could do with MSAA.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Kinthalis

CorbraMax

Is it confirmed by the devs? Because lens of truth uses tiny screens that have obviously been resampeld from larger 720p shots. Which is incedibly misleading. That's like applying super sampling AA while reducing overlal detail - or in other words, it completley hides jaggies that might exist in the actual game screen.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dommeus

Traditional AA come sin two flavors:

Super-Sampling renders severla times the number of picels on your screen in roder to create pretty much a completley jaggie free frame. IT eats up video RAM and processing like there's no tomorrow, which is why no one uses it, except on older titles.

Multi-Sampling takes shortcuts, which means it doesn't do as good a job as SSAA, but it eats up less performance and vidoe buffer. The hit on both, however is still significant, specially at 4x and higher quality settings.

FXAA and MLAA are post-processing effects. They bypass traditional AA techniques entirely, and instead employ an edge detecting algorythim that happens AFTER the frame is rendered. Once the edges are detected, it blends pixels, smoothign out jaggies. It's not as good as high quality MSAA, and definitley not as good as SSAA, at least for now, but it's better than no AA or even low quality traditional AA.

Most importanly, it is essentially free on the PC, and only slightly taxign for consoles to do. MUCH cheaper than using MSAA or SSAA.

At this point in time, if your PC hardware can run MSAA without any issues for particular game, I'd definitely stick to that. IT has access to a lot more subpixel information, it will definitely look better.

But if not, fXAA is a great solution, and will probably allow you increae graphics settings and/or resolution over what you could do with MSAA.

Kinthalis

In which case I fully approve this addition. Roll on Friday...

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

[QUOTE="GenTom"]whats the difference between FXAA/MLAA etc. compared to normal AA?GhoX
Normal AA (let's just take MSAA in this case) reduces the quality of textures even less, and MSAA looks much much better in motion and deals with AAing objects in the distance better. Just to name a few.

Where do you get that MSAA blurs textures?

FXAA/MLAA due to their nature of being post process can cause blurring to textures and image quality, and suffer from lack of sub pixel information.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
BTW both Fear 3 and Duke Nukem Forever had FXAA, and Crysis 2 PC implemented it as part of their hybrid AA solution. I'd like to have an option to use both in tandem in deus ex.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

[QUOTE="CorbraMax"]

Kinthalis

Is it confirmed by the devs? Because lens of truth uses tiny screens that have obviously been resampeld from larger 720p shots. Which is incedibly misleading. That's like applying super sampling AA while reducing overlal detail - or in other words, it completley hides jaggies that might exist in the actual game screen.

Stuff like this is why I trust LensOfTruth with detailed technical comparisons about as much as I do a ripe banana. They just give off this impression of being happy amateurs more about fanning the fanboy flames than supplying actual accurate information.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
i am getting it on 360, i know it will not look as good but i can't wait,i am getting really excited after watching a couple of walkthrough vids, the city hubs are really quite big and there are loads of side missions that are huge.
MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

GTSaiyanjin2

you can use FXAA on every game you want, the same is for MLAA but only on ATI.

and the performance cost is literally nothing (for the FXAA at least)

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

If they run a DX11 renderer, you can have stuff like FXAA and FLAA no problem.

It's time we move away from MSAA, it's an outdated method that takes to much processing power for to little of a reward.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dommeus

[QUOTE="GTSaiyanjin2"]

MK-Professor

Do you enable it in the Catalyst Control Centre?
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kinthalis

If they run a DX11 renderer, you can have stuff like FXAA and FLAA no problem.

It's time we move away from MSAA, it's an outdated method that takes to much processing power for to little of a reward.

Wasdie

I don't think FXAA/MLAA are going to replace MSAA. Other types of AA which have access to sub-pixel info but are less expensive than traditional AA, will probably come to be used over these post-process only solutions.

I forget the name, but one such type of AA is where FXAA came from.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

[QUOTE="MK-Professor"]

[QUOTE="GTSaiyanjin2"]

dommeus

yes for the MLAA.

and he FXAA you can use it in both nvidia and ati very simple, by throwing some DX and fx files in to the game director.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kinthalis

[QUOTE="MK-Professor"]

[QUOTE="GTSaiyanjin2"]

dommeus

For MLAA yes.

FXAA on PC, right now at least (should change soonish) requires a mod. You just drop 2 files where the executable resides and you're set in most games (there are a few games where it just won't work).

Here is my thread on FXAA over in the PC game forum, details are inside:http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28797896/fxaa-beta-for-most-dx9dx10dx11-games-available-for-download-updated

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dommeus

Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.

EDIT - by the way, which would you recommend? If they are very similar than I might as well stick to MLAA since I can enable that in the CCC. However is FXAA is better then I will of course get that.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#25 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Kinthalis

I am perfectly okay with the way the graphics are now because I'm not a graphics whore.

G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 G-Lord
Member since 2004 • 2141 Posts

EDIT - by the way, which would you recommend? If they are very similar than I might as well stick to MLAA since I can enable that in the CCC. However is FXAA is better then I will of course get that.

dommeus

I would say that you should at least try the FXAA mod. You can even disable it with a shortcut ingame.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
Should be awesome.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Kinthalis

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

turtlethetaffer

I am perfectly okay with the way the graphics are now because I'm not a graphics whore.

OK... enjoy the jaggies then, I guess.

Really, this type of mentality is just backwards. The option for FXAA on consoles is available and this person would rather HAVE jaggies than not, why? Probably because he perceives anything a PC can do and his platform of choice can't as a personal attack or something and he misundertood or didn't even bother reading the TC.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Kinthalis

dommeus

FXAA currently being done in the mod is better than MLAA on the CC. For one, it blurs the overall image a lot less, which is the main problem of these post-processing effects. They tend to blur a little too much, ro they tend to miss a jagged line here or there.