Deus Ex HR is a terrible game

• 131 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

I know what you're thinking, but I'm not trolling or anything, I really think this game is downright terrible. I found it difficult to play more than 10 hours because it was so damn boring and limited.

My problem is, the game advertises itself as an RPG FPS, but this as RPG as Skyrim... It's not... It pretends to give you choices in how you play the game, when really, it just severely limits you depending on the environment. For example if I want to sneak by some guards, I can't because there's always one patrolling in one direction when the other is patrolling another. And yet I see some assault rifle ammo on the desk near me. WHAT THE HELL.

Seriously this game is terrible and I have uninstalled it.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

The game can be played totally in stealth (minus boss fights), you being unable to is entirely down to you.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

The game can be played totally in stealth (minus boss fights), you being unable to is entirely down to you.

Snugenz
But it gave me assualt rifle ammo when I needed tranquilizer darts :|
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26650 Posts
It gives you more freedom during missions than Skyrim does at all. :| Boss fights were the only real problem with the game. If you went all stealth, boss fights were hard as hell.
fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts
Learn to use non lethal takedowns. Use your tranquilizer only in emergencies or when you have surplus ammo. Other than that, just sneak by enemies. DE : HR is a great game.
fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts
Boss fights were the only real problem with the game. If you went all stealth, boss fights were hard as hell.DragonfireXZ95
I knew the boss fights were going to be a toughie so I made sure I spent points in the Typhoon in my first playthrough (which was a pure stealth run). Enter boss.

*le me gets close and uses Typhoon* *Boss gets hit for major damage* Still standing? No problem! *uses Typhoon again* Dead boss is dead.
KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

For example if I want to sneak by some guards, I can't because there's always one patrolling in one direction when the other is patrolling another. parkurtommo

You can get invisible, you know that, right?

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

i found this game to be one of the most enjoyable games i've played for a good while, you can stealth the whole game like there saying, and your arguement of rifle ammo on the desk could be said if someone wanted an all guns blazing play through, in my playthrough i actually found it hard when i kept finding bloody tranq bullets everywhere and no rifle bullets, i loved the way i could just pick guards off one by one, there so many ways to play the game i could play it over and over again. i'm pretty sure at the start of the game when he asks how your going to take them down and you have a choice between a tranq gun or rifle, that decides what type of ammo your getting throughout the game in certain parts.

ugoo18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ugoo18
Member since 2010 • 1005 Posts

To each their own but Deus Ex HR is a great game, my personal GOTY last year by a wide margin. This topic makes me want to replay it now.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44658 Posts
it was somewhat enjoyable, definitely overhyped, got through it twice though no problem, but I share your concern on the how the game sold itself as being a game of choices, there's really not much choice in this game other than deciding between lethal and none lethal approaches, a smart player will choose stealth just because it's the most rewarding when it comes to gaining experience, but the game doesn't reward players for other approaches like hacking devices to take out others it almost feels pointless, and the run and gunning approach feels useless as ammo pickups are just a few bullets, plus choice of augmentation doesn't seem to matter much on how to approach a situation, you could increase your hack abilities to get through doors, sneak and find a keycard or maybe just upgrade your jump to reach a vent to take you to the next point, and that IMO just makes it worse since I feel compelled to take every path available just to earn more xp for the praxis kits, I also feel the exploration in the game was a major letdown... all that being said I still found the game to be playable, even enjoyable, but I definitely think it was way overrated, wouldn't go so far to call it terrible, mediocre at its worst
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#11 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Hey Parkur. You're wrong.
GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

i just got it for free from playstation plus, one of the greatest games i've ever played! i gave it a 10, its up their with MGS4 on my list.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

i loved human revolution my problem is the buggyness of the pc port. sometimes your game will bug and render certain chunks of side quests completely unfinishable. ill give an example for you. the undercover cop quest near the very start of the game she has a quest to go stun and haul away some dude in an apartment and then either stun or kill his buddies. the problem is that one of his buddies gltiches into a wall everytime you get close.

ugoo18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ugoo18
Member since 2010 • 1005 Posts

i loved human revolution my problem is the buggyness of the pc port. sometimes your game will bug and render certain chunks of side quests completely unfinishable. ill give an example for you. the undercover cop quest near the very start of the game she has a quest to go stun and haul away some dude in an apartment and then either stun or kill his buddies. the problem is that one of his buddies gltiches into a wall everytime you get close.

ionusX

Was this a common thing because i never had a glitch in the game.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Haven't played it yet, but want to.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

ugoo18

Was this a common thing because i never had a glitch in the game.

from what i understand tis not regular for everyone to get it and there is a workaround however using the workaround breaks the game horribly and results in you being horridly OP for the rest of the game. the only other solution is to re-install the game and pray you dont get these problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfYUtNKsHBo

and here is the debug menu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwwdoWr-ORI

the debud menu jsut elts you repsawn him and then u simply take him down or blow his brain out. also if this glitch occurs and fixes itself (can happen) he will immedeately spot you and ruin any effort at being stelthy you once had

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts
lol wat, the game gives you loads of freedom and rewards planning or taking an alternate route.
xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Guys, I don't know how many areas there are but I got through almost the whole china place but one thing that I felt was lacking was the amount of side quests? I remember exploring pretty much yet I found quite a few side quests? Anyone else?

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#20 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
I find that this game has too much emphasis on hacking, im actually at a point where I cant progress through the game since I dont have a high enough hacking skill.
kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kalipekona
Member since 2003 • 2492 Posts

After The Witcher 2, Deus Ex Human Revolution is one of my favorite games in a long time. There is tons of freedom so I really don't know what you are talking about.

cpfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 cpfast
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

i dont understand what the boss fights fuss is all about. Makes me sad that the producers apologized for them when the bosses are suposed to be hard to kill, maybe our generation is getting spoiled indeed.

I played totaly stealth and they were pretty easy. Much easier actually than playing commando. The tranquilizer gun works wonders with the bosses, took me some time to realize it, but when i did killed the first one in no time at all. Never even used the typhon or spent points in it.

One of my favourite games all in all

cpfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 cpfast
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I find that this game has too much emphasis on hacking, im actually at a point where I cant progress through the game since I dont have a high enough hacking skill. Chris_53

There are tools that hack for u that u can buy or find

Avatar image for Obviously_Right
Obviously_Right

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Obviously_Right
Member since 2011 • 5331 Posts

GOTY 2011.

Judging by the OP you were just terrible at the game, you do realise you have augmentations to help you in situations like that right?

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Guys, I don't know how many areas there are but I got through almost the whole china place but one thing that I felt was lacking was the amount of side quests? I remember exploring pretty much yet I found quite a few side quests? Anyone else?

xWoW_Rougex
There's about two to three side quests per hub world I think, Hengsha has a few (I'm assuming you mean its first visit). I think one was in the Med Center place, another as a courier mission or something. Just don't leave though. You have no way of doing the side missions then.
lockjaw333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lockjaw333
Member since 2003 • 1743 Posts
I never ever use this rebuttal, but maybe you just suck at the game? Honestly the game gives you several options on how to tackle each scenario, maybe you just missed some of them. I remember having to be creative and think outside the box numerous times, and the game supported it and gave you the ability to do that. The ONLY flaw of the game in my mind is that the graphics and animations are a little dated...the art style is fanstastic don't get me wrong, but technically it could have used a little more polish. The gameplay and freedom however are some of the best in any game of recent memory.
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

I played the game entirely in stealth,without killing anyone,and without triggering the alarms,aside from a few scripted moments like [spoiler] Malik's crash [/spoiler]

It's not as great as the original Deus Ex(well,nothing's as great as original Deus Ex IMO),but it sure comes close.A very enjoyable experience,easily one of the best games of 2011.Had some small flaws here and there(time freezes during takedowns,some awkward animation and lifeless character faces),but none were gamebreaking,or serious enough to get in the way...

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts
[QUOTE="Snugenz"]

parkurtommo

Face Palm! U can sneak past almost everyone in the game without engaging.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Play better
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
You can complete the game without killing and without being seen if you want to. Not kidding, you just didn't do your best to find other routes or ways.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

good game just wasn't really anything speciali imo.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

[QUOTE="Snugenz"]

parkurtommo

Nope.

I went through the game on hardest difficulty without firing a single shot outside of boss fights.

You just suck at it.

DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

It's not bad in that regard. The problem with the game is that besides the boss fights, you are pretty much penalized for playing any other way than stealth non-lethal. I remember trying on my first playthrough to do a lethal takedown on the first guy i met. Not only did i receive nearly no points whatsoever, it attracted all the other guards and sounded the alarm.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

The game was fine when I played last winter.

I never really tried a complete stealth playthrough though...

Javy03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Javy03
Member since 2006 • 6886 Posts
Great game. My only issue was the story. They do a good job of making you care about how you treat and interact with characters but leave you with some boring anticlimactic lecture of an ending. I don't need a philosophy lesson from my games I just want an entertaining story with relevant character interaction.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
The situation you described can be solved in a wide variety of ways. I never once ran out of tranquilizer rounds... probably because you never run out of silent melee takedowns.
ohgeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ohgeez
Member since 2011 • 919 Posts
Not gonna lie TC but you sound like you just suck at it.

i dont understand what the boss fights fuss is all about. Makes me sad that the producers apologized for them when the bosses are suposed to be hard to kill, maybe our generation is getting spoiled indeed.

I played totaly stealth and they were pretty easy. Much easier actually than playing commando. The tranquilizer gun works wonders with the bosses, took me some time to realize it, but when i did killed the first one in no time at all. Never even used the typhon or spent points in it.

One of my favourite games all in all

cpfast
I loved this game too, but those boss fights really did blow. They just weren't fun really at all.
ohgeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ohgeez
Member since 2011 • 919 Posts
Great game. My only issue was the story. They do a good job of making you care about how you treat and interact with characters but leave you with some boring anticlimactic lecture of an ending. I don't need a philosophy lesson from my games I just want an entertaining story with relevant character interaction.Javy03
I liked the philosophy lesson, this genre is notorious for doing that
GamerEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GamerEye
Member since 2011 • 1607 Posts

I disagree. Though I will say that there are PLENTY of better games out there.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
My problem in HR was stealth. Not only you're rewarded to kill without being noticed but it makes the game very easy no matter the difficulty you're playing on and 2/3 of weapons (none silenced ones) 100% useless. If next DeusEx has same stealth mechanic i don't think i will even bother.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44247 Posts

Indeed, everyone agrees IW > HR. :shock: :twisted:

I kid and will only say, I'm not that much a fan of some of the control methods but that's likely just me. :P

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#43 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

ionusX
Strange, I never experienced any bug when I played HR on my PC.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
cool story brah.
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#45 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Um I went through the game not killing anyone and didn't even get the achievement for knocking out 100 people because I snuck by almost everyone. The game's stealth was pretty easy honestly.

My second playthrough, I'm killing as many people as possible, letting the bodies pile up in the streets :P

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

lol get better at the game :P It's not gonna give you everything you need all the time, that would further diminish it to what you already think it is. It would make it a casual shooter then

SciFiRPGfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SciFiRPGfan
Member since 2010 • 694 Posts

[QUOTE="Snugenz"]

parkurtommo

"I wanted orange! It gave me lemon lime." :(

No, but seriously now... Is that it? Does the fact that the game is more limited than you had thought the reason why it is supposed to be terrible? What about other games? How many of modern, let's say, 2009 - 2012 RPG / hybrids have at least that level of freedom and creativity when it comes to solving quests or accessing locations in multiple ways? Have you tried cloaking? Or buying more candybars so that you could execute several takedowns in short amount of time? Or worst case scenario, checking some walkthroughs? There are plenty for non-lethal runs even on hardest difficulties.

All in all, I think you are overreacting a bit here. Even if the game was not ballanced in terms of difficulty of different approaches, such flaw alone could hardly make it terrible. Especially since there's little to no competition in terms of what Deus Ex HR was trying to go for.

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

I agree the game is terirble. I just found it so boring. There have been times where I did get into it but to be honest with you, most of my fun has been from killing everyone in the game. My first target was the punk that doesnt stop dancing in the underground, then I took out everyone in the police station, and then everyone in Honk Kong or where ever it is. Stopped playing after that, just cant be bothered.

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

[QUOTE="Snugenz"]

parkurtommo

I completed the whole game without killing anyone and using only a handful of tranquilizer darts. I relied mostly on non-lethal takedowns. You can easily sneak past most of the enemies because there are so many alternative routes.

Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1128 Posts

The game was amazing and even the boss fights that everyone complained about, while awful, were easy to get through with a pure stealth/hacking/social character. Just save some nades and keep them in a stunlock with the stun pistol.

Amazing game overall.