Destructoid - Alan Wake is more intense than Dead Space!

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17458 Posts

Hey guys, just sharing info as always. What do you think? Please, no fanboyism ok?

The survival horror genre has had its share of ups and downs. Dead Space is one of those amazing milestones that will always creep up on me in the middle of the night, reminding me what a coward I am for not finishing it, because it was far too creepy and intense.

Fast forward to today, and I find myself religiously following the development of Alan Wake, stalking Remedy's Oskari Hakkinen any chance I get for the smallest glimpse of what's to come.

Dare I say, after experiencing a whole chapter in Alan Wake at X10, I have learned of a new fear. Will I be too chicken to finish Alan Wake? Eh, I'll take the shrieking sounds of the Necromorphs in the darkest corners of the galaxy over having to man up to Mr. Wake's shadowy foes.

Destructoid

LINKY

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

That's not a big feat.

Idream2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Idream2010
Member since 2010 • 469 Posts

That's not a big feat.

Yandere

didnt dead space get 9.0 here? Ok, yes good job and Alan Wake will be awesome AAAE and my # 2 anticipated game of 2010. oh yeah!!

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#4 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

That's not a big feat.

Idream2010

didnt dead space get 9.0 here? Ok, yes good job and Alan Wake will be awesome AAAE and my # 2 anticipated game of 2010. oh yeah!!

Yeah but Dead Space wasn't exactly an "intense experience".

Maybe it was...for the first 5 minutes. After that, it gets predictable.

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Yandere

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

That's not a big feat.

Idream2010

So, what does its rating have to do with how "intense" it is?

zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#6 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

That's not a big feat.

Idream2010

i think he was talking about dead space not being very scary, nothing to do with the rating.

Idream2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Idream2010

[QUOTE="Idream2010"]

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

That's not a big feat.

Yandere

it was intense to this guy, and I thought it was as well, 9.0 game confirmed for Alan Wake. 360 is showing people whats UP!!!

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#8 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

so Alan Wake is just as Scary as Dead Space? what?

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Yandere

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

[QUOTE="Idream2010"]

Idream2010

360 is showing people whats UP!!!

I can't disagree with that.

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
It's looking great, also read GS's own preview: "Based on what we saw, the game's visuals are outstanding, and the voice acting--of which there is plenty--is great as well. If you were looking for a survival game that offers something truly unique, Alan Wake might offer just what you've been hoping for. This creepy, story-driven experience is beautiful to look at and fun to watch in action, and we look forward to bringing you even more information as it becomes available."
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Majority opinion is that the game was pretty scary. If you don't agree, that's cool, but that view is in the minority.

black_tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 black_tempest
Member since 2008 • 2459 Posts
Ahh, good news, I'm so glad Alan Wake is turning out well.
Idream2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Idream2010

Majority opinion is that the game was pretty scary. If you don't agree, that's cool, but that view is in the minority.

topgunmv

wow gotta love it, great response!

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Yandere

topgunmv

So when was this study conducted?

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

I don't really find any survival horror games that scary... mostly they rely on scripted moments that are pretty predictable especially past the first playthrough. The last game to constantly scare me was splinter cell chaos theory.

SimoSays2541

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SimoSays2541
Member since 2006 • 679 Posts

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

[QUOTE="Idream2010"]

Idream2010

it was intense to this guy, and I thought it was as well, 9.0 game confirmed for Alan Wake. 360 is showing people whats UP!!!

Wow...your logic is...blown mind...yeah

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 navyguy21
I cant wait for this game. Good to hear that all the previews so far have been positive. I think it will get great reviews all around. I hope the story allows for replayability :)
Idream2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Idream2010

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

Yandere

sorry its the truth, post up another UP picture!

Idream2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Idream2010

[QUOTE="Idream2010"]

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

SimoSays2541

Wow...your logic is...blown mind...yeah

your logic is anything good for 360 means say something bad! :lol:

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 topgunmv

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

Yandere

When over 70 publications reviewed the game. All supporting evidence via news reports, commentary, and developer responses to feedback they've heard on the game also support this.

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Yandere

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

topgunmv

When over 70 publications reviewed the game. All supporting evidence via news reports, commentary, and developer responses to feedback they've heard on the game also support this.

So 70 people state the opinion of 1 million+ people?

Idream2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Idream2010

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

Yandere

no that would be the millions that purchased the game, please stop while you are 3 lengths behind!

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Yandere

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

Idream2010

no that would be the millions that purchased the game, please stop while you are 3 lengths behind!

Unless he shuffled through over 1 million of peoples opinions and tallied if they found it scary or not he's just making an assumption.

moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 moose_knuckler
Member since 2007 • 5722 Posts
If he said the tensity will be higher than Dead Space's first 10ish minutes (only more prolong) THEN I'd be really excited. Still gonna be awesome though
Idream2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Idream2010

[QUOTE="Idream2010"]

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

Yandere

Unless he shuffled through over 1 million of peoples opinions and tallied if they found it scary or not he's just making an assumption.

well the bottom line it scared alot of people, maybe not you, but it scared the guy who was talking about it and Alan Wake is looking good, you have a 360? cause if you do, get this game!

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 topgunmv

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

Yandere

I'm not going to scour the internet to feed your insatiable thirst to debate me, suffice to say thus far I have provided more proof for my side of the debate, and the burden now lays on you to support your own claims.

CannedWorms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#27 CannedWorms
Member since 2009 • 3381 Posts

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

[QUOTE="Idream2010"]

Idream2010

well the bottom line it scared alot of people, maybe not you, but it scared the guy who was talking about it and Alan Wake is looking good, you have a 360? cause if you do, get this game!

I don't think he plays western games somehow.
themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 themyth01

[QUOTE="Idream2010"]

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

Yandere

Except 1 million people have not played it. The relevant population is those reporters that have played it which is probably around the 70 number quoted above. So if out of say 80 that have played it, 70 coincide on one detail, it's pretty fair to say it holds.
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#29 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

Destructoid....The Know-Nothing Party of Video Game Sites...

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Yandere

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

topgunmv

I'm not going to scour the internet to feed your insatiable thirst to debate me, suffice to say thus far I have provided more proof for my side of the debate, and the burden now lays on you to support your own claims.

I'm not the one claiming that the game has scared the majority of players, so why should I give you proof against a claim you have never given any proof behind?

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Yandere

[QUOTE="Idream2010"]

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

CannedWorms

I don't think he plays western games somehow.

I do and I have played, and own(ed) Dead Space on my PS3. (dun, dun, dumm)

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Well seeing how dead space is turning into somthing totally different for part 2. Why not play something that has the same atmosphere.

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Yandere

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

[QUOTE="Idream2010"]

themyth01

Except 1 million people have not played it. The relevant population is those reporters that have played it which is probably around the 70 number quoted above. So if out of say 80 that have played it, 70 coincide on one detail, it's pretty fair to say it holds.

The sales for both platforms PS3/360 exceed over 1 million when combined, and when you do that all you are doing is making an educated guess, that does not in anyway hold any factual basis.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 topgunmv

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

Yandere

I'm not the one claiming that the game has scared the majority of players, so why should I give you proof against a claim you have never given any proof behind?

You're claiming that the majority of people haven't been scared by it. Please provide supporting evidence.

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 themyth01

[QUOTE="themyth01"][QUOTE="Yandere"]

Yandere

The sales for both platforms PS3/360 exceed over 1 million when combined, and when you do that all you are doing is making an educated guess, that does not in anyway hold any factual basis.

We're talking about Alan Wake here, right?
Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Yandere

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

topgunmv

You're claiming that the majority of people haven't been scared by it. Please provide supporting evidence.

You claimed that the majority DID, and I replied saying how you have no factual basis behind your claims.

All I did was say how you have no proof behind what you are saying.

Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

Not saying much. Dead Space was a fun game and all (terrible boss fights and quite repetitive, but it had its core gameplay down), but it wasn't a particularly intense game. It had its moments of intensity, sure, but I could say the same thing of Peggle.

Alan Wake looks like it kicks ass, though.

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Yandere

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

[QUOTE="themyth01"] Except 1 million people have not played it. The relevant population is those reporters that have played it which is probably around the 70 number quoted above. So if out of say 80 that have played it, 70 coincide on one detail, it's pretty fair to say it holds. themyth01

No, Dead Space.

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 themyth01

[QUOTE="themyth01"][QUOTE="Yandere"]

Yandere

No, Dead Space.

Doh, nvm then.
mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
Dead Space wasn't all too intense though.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 topgunmv

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

Yandere

You claimed that the majority DID, and I replied saying how you have no factual basis behind your claims.

I provided proof, the standard of which would be substantive enough to pass as evidence in academia. You still refute my claims, providing no evidence of your own other than your own view.

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Yandere

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

topgunmv

I provided proof, the standard of which would be substantive enough to pass as evidence in academia. You still refute my claims, providing no evidence of your own other than your own view.

Sorry, but I cannot pass off someone saying that a handful of people find the game scary as proof.

My point here is that it's impossible to tell the majorities opinion upon this matter because none has ever conducted a study.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 topgunmv

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

Yandere

Sorry, but I cannot pass off someone saying that a handful of people find the game scary as proof.

My point here is that it's impossible to tell the majorities opinion upon this matter because none has ever conducted a study.

The reviews and testimonials to which I already alluded are surveys in of themselves, as someone already pointed out earlier in this thread. However, I'm going to have say that I'm done with this debate and apologize to the TC for hijacking his thread.

clubsammich91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 clubsammich91
Member since 2009 • 2229 Posts
Why did this game get canned on the PC?
Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

Dead Space wasnt intense though :?

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 navyguy21

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

topgunmv

The reviews and testimonials to which I already alluded are surveys in of themselves, as someone already pointed out earlier in this thread. However, I'm going to have say that I'm done with this debate and apologize to the TC for hijacking his thread.

lol, its ok, i enjoyed it :P I find it amusing when people blindly hate a game with no basis, and then attempt to retreat to avoid ownage :P
moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I don't really find any survival horror games that scary... mostly they rely on scripted moments that are pretty predictable especially past the first playthrough. The last game to constantly scare me was splinter cell chaos theory.

jrhawk42

Errrmm.... so Dead Space isn't scary? but, Splinter Cell is?

are we living in backwards land?

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts

Positive feedback for Alan Wake sure does upset quite a few people here on System Wars. :lol:

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts
Intense doesn't mean scary. I prefer intense anyway. Much more atmospheric.
93soccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 93soccer
Member since 2009 • 4602 Posts

That's not a big feat.

Yandere
That's quite a big feat actually but seeing how your a cow, it's no surprise