Destiny Vs. TitanFall--Good Read.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wasted_wlsdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By wasted_wlsdom

Poll Destiny Vs. TitanFall--Good Read. (42 votes)

Destiny looks to pack more content and depth overall... 74%
TitanFall looks like more fun overall... 26%

Titanfall vs. Destiny

How this war will change shooters for ever...

SOURCES: Gamefront GameFront

Realism can be an over-rated quality. The modern military titles that have ruled the first-person shooter genre since Call of Duty 4 have invented or adapted plenty of intriguing mechanics, like character classes, killstreaks and customisable load-outs. However, they have also brought with them the most limited colour palettes game design has ever seen, an unnerving fixation on real-life firearms and a jingoistic post-9/11 obsession with Middle Eastern terrorists and geographically indistinct Euro-bullies. This has all led to some extraordinarily silly and confused plotting.

But the future looks very different. At both E3 and Gamescom – the major events on the gaming calendar – the talk was of two shooters set far away from current geopolitical interests. Bungie's breathlessly ambitious Destiny is an action role-playing blaster set in a distant future where mankind's colonisation of space has been ended by some apocalyptic catastrophe, and now survivors must re-group on Earth with the help of a mysterious alien presence known as the Traveler.

In Titanfall, the multiplayer-only battle drama revolves around two factions – the Interstellar Manufacturing Corporation and the M-COR militia – slugging it out to control a dark cyberpunk landscape, dominated by mech warfare. Okay, so in narrative terms, we're not talking about great originality here, and for Destiny developer, Bungie, this latest project is a natural evolution of the space operatics found in previous titles Marathon and Halo. But you know, at least we're no longer saving America from an inexplicable yet obsessively justified land invasion.

As shooter fans, we’ve been waiting a looong time to see what the creators of Halo and the minds behind Call of Duty would do for their next acts. Bungie and Respawn (the guys and gals who once called Infinity Ward home) finally gave us a good look at their respective projects at E3, and we can now speak with some knowledge and insight about two sci-fi shooters that could very well play a big part in defining the next generation of gaming: Destiny andTitanfall. What are their core features? What makes each one unique? Which sci-fi shooter is for you? In an effort to help answer those questions and more, we threw both into the Game Front Octagon for a little head-to-head fun. We’ll let you be the judge and decide who wins each round and, ultimately, who comes out on top. Ring the bell for Destiny vs. Titanfall!

Everything flows

The key innovation both of these titles explore, however, is the interplay between single, co-op and multiplayer action, and the demarcations between them are set to blur forever. In Destiny, for example, the setting is a vast open galaxy, a persistent online environment, where players can carry out narrative missions, strikes and raids with friends, but where at times, they will stumble into the activities of other groups.

Community manager, David 'DeeJ' Dague puts it like this. "We're sort of making good on a very old ambition to create a story that different players can experience cooperatively but at the same time have chance encounters with other heroes who are blazing their own trail."

So its a seamless interplay between missions and multiplayer groupings? "Seamless is exactly how we like to describe the experience," he confirms. "When you play Destiny, you can choose to be a lone hero or you can invite people to be on your fire team. The fire team is a three-guardian band that will go through this world together, solving mysteries, fighting enemies and reclaiming the solar system. And as that lone hero or fire team moves through each destination, they will see other players in this living social world - these others will be exploring their own mission objectives, but there will be interactions where their paths cross. Those moments are completely elective, but we're going to try to lure silent, lone gamers into these spaces because they'll find rewards that will make them better at the game and make the experience better and more dynamic over time."

Both titles also make slight changes to familiar customisation and loud-out options.Destiny allows three main weapons: a primary assault option, a secondary CQB option and a third 'heavy' slot for weapons that do ridiculous amounts of damage. Furthermore, as players progress then can pick up new modifications for their arsenal, so that each gun becomes a sort of narrative instrument. "We're giving players almost endless options for customisation," says Dague. "Every weapon we put in their hands will tell a story about where they've been and the sorts of activities they've engaged in, and every weapon is customisable. The arsenal for this game is bigger than anything we've ever put into the hands of the player."

Meanwhile in Titanfall, players start each match by selecting a character class for their pilot (currently Assault, Tactical and CQB) and their Titan. These come in three flavours. The main battle titan is equipped with an XO-16 battle rifle and defensive vortex blocker that acts as a shield against enemy fire; the heavy weapons titan gets a 40mm cannon and electrical smoke to hide in; and the high explosive titan boasts a rocket launcher that fires multiple spirally projectiles that'll pummel other mechs into robot heaven. Mixing and matching pilots and titans should provide an intriguing little twist, allowing players to build diverse roles for themselves, taking on stealthy roles as pilots, but transmogrifying into apocalyptic denizens of fiery death when in the titan.

Looking back to move forward

According to producer Drew McCoy, Respawn started with an interesting question: what would be the FPS version of mixed martial arts? So they started looking at classic titles and sub-genres, pulling in ideas from Doom, Counter Strike, Battlefield and more. "We went through a long prototyping process," says McCoy. "Our guys were trying all sorts of crazy stuff. It was all really rough, but it gave us an inkling of what could be good. And early on, one of the key things was movement, which has evolved into wall-running and double jumping - that sense of verticality. The other thing was survivability in a multiplayer game.

"The current trend is high lethality, one shot and you're down. It's popular, but if you go back 10 years, you had health and armour in Quake and Unreal, you could shoot guys 50 times - we wanted to try play with that, to lengthen the player's life without upsetting that quick kill balance. That's where the titans came in. They act as a kind of second life for you - you can take damage then eject out. Also you have AIs running around which are often easy to beat, so you get that quick kill loop."

There's also an ambition to add longevity to player vs player encounters, to get out of the twitch core rut that some well-known military shooters have ploughed. "The movement and face-off gameplay was influenced by Doom, especially the rocket launcher and plasma gun," says McCoy, "Those were projectiles that you could see coming, that you could dodge - there was this really cool back and forth dynamic. So Titans bring in a lot of that - they shoot a LOT of projectiles. And with the dash move, you can get in and out of cover real quick. This way, you're really fightingsomeone. It's not 'I shot first so you're dead', it's knowing the environment, knowing how to flank - we looked at a lot of old games for that."

Bringing meaning to multiplayer

In many ways Titanfall is more conventional, but it still evolves the standard FPS recipe in interesting ways. Developer Respawn Entertainment calls its main mode 'campaign multiplayer' – groups of players compete against each other through a linear series of missions, all bookended by story cut-scenes explaining the context of the combat. As a participant, you can save your progress at any point and come back to the campaign whenever you like, so it works just like Single player. And when matches begin, each environment is filled with AI troopers, who join in the combat but also provide little choreographed set-pieces within the action, perhaps hiding out in hidden locations or attacking very specific enemy targets. So again, it feels like a Campaign – just one with human allies and enemies.

It's all about the refreshing new cadences that come out during combat. While playing as a ground soldier, or pilot, the game's double jump and wall-running features allow you to traverse the map as a totally three-dimensional environment, sprinting along the sides of buildings, leaping onto rooftops and along catwalks or straight through windows. There's a real sense of freedom, of kinetic possibility, that contrasts massively with the familiar sprint and cover rhythm of the military shooters.

And then, at fixed time points in each match, you get to call in a titan mech, which drops onto the map with a whooshing crash, then waits for your command. You get in, and the combat completely changes – now it's about attrition and pummeling force. You're swatting pilots like flies, you're pounding in to explosive battles with other 'bots – like the tank fights in Battlefield, but with swarms of exotic missiles and defense measures. The cockpit feel is nice too, with visible instrumentation, and the fact you're looking through an HUD screen not glass, so everything distorts when you get hit by fire. Then, when the damage reaches critical, you can eject and join the action again as a foot soldier, bringing these vast new action beats to the experience.

Changing classes

Both titles also make slight changes to familiar customisation and loud-out options. Destiny allows three main weapons: a primary assault option, a secondary CQB option and a third 'heavy' slot for weapons that do ridiculous amounts of damage. Furthermore, as players progress then can pick up new modifications for their arsenal, so that each gun becomes a sort of narrative instrument. "We're giving players almost endless options for customisation," says Dague. "Every weapon we put in their hands will tell a story about where they've been and the sorts of activities they've engaged in, and every weapon is customisable. The arsenal for this game is bigger than anything we've ever put into the hands of the player."

Meanwhile in Titanfall, players start each match by selecting a character class for their pilot (currently Assault, Tactical and CQB) and their Titan. These come in three flavours. The main battle titan is equipped with an XO-16 battle rifle and defensive vortex blocker that acts as a shield against enemy fire; the heavy weapons titan gets a 40mm cannon and electrical smoke to hide in; and the high explosive titan boasts a rocket launcher that fires multiple spirally projectiles that'll pummel other mechs into robot heaven. Mixing and matching pilots and titans should provide an intriguing little twist, allowing players to build diverse roles for themselves, taking on stealthy roles as pilots, but transmogrifying into apocalyptic denizens of fiery death when in the titan

Not a war, a revolution

What we see in both titles is a sense that the next generation is going to be about interplay and integration. It's not so much a battle between them as it is a battle between them and the past. In the future they predict, single-player will merge with co-op and competitive action; story will merge with multiplayer – but it's all through choice. Players don't have to do any of this, the traditional demarcations survive if you want: Titanfall comes with a whole bunch of traditional drop in and might death match modes. But the seamless interconnection between campaign and online universes hinted at a few years ago by Demons Souls(a big influence on Titanfall according to McCoy), is going to really change things.

And what the new consoles will bring, with their more robust online infrastructures and vast cloud-based server networks, is the idea of persistence, of individual stories and adventures converging. Shooters will never be the same again because with the lines blurred and the rules shifted, whole new formats, new possibilities, open up. "It should be seamless and serendipitous," says Dague, on how players meet in Destiny. "It will be like some of the great fantasy tales where different heroes cross paths and come together to share a leg of the adventure before they splinter off in their own directions again. That's the mood we're trying too cultivate."

"The thing that we're most excited about is when our community gets hold of this game and adds to it what we feel will be the most important ingredient, which is the character they make. At that point we lose complete and total control of our creation - it becomes theirs, they start doing things in this world that we never imagined. We'll get to learn about what we've created through watching the end user. And we are alwayswatching..."

• 
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

As TC, you need a TL;DR at the bottom. Trust me.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Oh ****, you're back

wasted_wlsdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 wasted_wlsdom
Member since 2013 • 153 Posts

I know you lazy kids are too, well, lazy to read so I went ahead and bolded the important parts for you. You're welcome

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Both look great. You can only get both on X1. Thank you MS.

MrXboxOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MrXboxOne
Member since 2013 • 799 Posts

The real winner here is Xbox One. Both available for that system. PS4 users can only enjoy half the fun.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lundy86_4

@wasted_wlsdom said:

I know you lazy kids are too, well, lazy to read so I went ahead and bolded the important parts for you. You're welcome

Nah, just watching Arrow. It's more interesting. I only skim GS, when watching my TV shows.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lundy86_4

@Blabadon said:

Oh ****, you're back

Blab, calling it like it is... lol.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#8 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I voted destiny. I have enormous faith in bungie and believe I will love that game. I still think titanfall will be an epic gaming experience. I will play them both

wasted_wlsdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wasted_wlsdom

@lundy86_4 said:

@wasted_wlsdom said:

Nah, just watching Arrow. It's more interesting. I only skim GS, when watching my TV shows.

: /

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts

I'll be getting both of these games. You can bet that both companies feel like they have something to prove and will put their best effort into these games to show that they still have it.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lundy86_4

@wasted_wlsdom said:

:)

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

definitely Destiny. have no interest in Call of Duty.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

Titanfall for sure,I don´t like MMO´s so I have no interest in Destiny.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

lol wasted_wisdom thread

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lostrib

@lundy86_4 said:

@wasted_wlsdom said:

Good show, though I wish they'd stop having oliver queen wear eyeliner. It just looks odd

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lundy86_4

@lostrib said:

Good show, though I wish they'd stop having oliver queen wear eyeliner. It just looks odd

Yep, that, and referencing the island... We get it, you were stuck there. "Whilst I was on the island..." "When on the island..." On the island, I..."

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lostrib

@lundy86_4 said:

@lostrib said:

Yep, that, and referencing the island... We get it, you were stuck there. "Whilst I was on the island..." "When on the island..." On the island, I..."

I wish he would just fucking tell people, "hey i got fucking tortured on the island, so I'm kind of fucked up, oh and I watched my dad commit a murder suicide on a life raft;" there is a really annoying ending to one episode where he says he's going to tell diggle everything, and then fade to black. I remember in the first half of the 1st season, it was really annoying how much shit people gave oliver (especially thea). Also, laurel is a shitty character, especially come season 2.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lundy86_4

@lostrib said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@lostrib said:

I wish he would just fucking tell people, "hey i got fucking tortured on the island, so I'm kind of fucked up, oh and I watched my dad commit a murder suicide on a life raft;" there is a really annoying ending to one episode where he says he's going to tell diggle everything, and then fade to black. I remember in the first half of the 1st season, it was really annoying how much shit people gave oliver (especially thea). Also, laurel is a shitty character, especially come season 2.

Seriously. I haven't seen that episode, but i', sure it'll annoy me :P

He's so mum on the subject, that it's annoying. I get trying to protect "the Hood," but it's frustrating. The whole Oliver-Tommy-Laurel love triangle was annoying before the finale... Now they did the classical reset, where she can't be in a relationship with him. ****... The writing is pretty awesome, except when it comes to the "love" aspect (it is the CW).

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lostrib

@lundy86_4 said:

@lostrib said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@lostrib said:

Seriously. I haven't seen that episode, but i', sure it'll annoy me :P

He's so mum on the subject, that it's annoying. I get trying to protect "the Hood," but it's frustrating. The whole Oliver-Tommy-Laurel love triangle was annoying before the finale... Now they did the classical reset, where she can't be in a relationship with him. ****... The writing is pretty awesome, except when it comes to the "love" aspect (it is the CW).

yeah pretty much everyone seems to think that laurel is a shitty character. Now felicity...that's a female character I could get behind...

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

@lostrib said:

christ.. i don't even watch the show and im already annoyed

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lostrib

@lawlessx said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@lostrib said:

it's a pretty good super hero tv show. I found it easier to get into and more interesting than Smallville. And it's got pretty good action and story lines. And the actual flashbacks to the Island are usually really interesting

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lundy86_4

@lostrib said:

yeah pretty much everyone seems to think that laurel is a shitty character. Now felicity...that's a female character I could get behind...

Literally? I'd be behind her, on top, in front, underneath... Everywhere else. She's hot as f*ck. Her eyes are a little weird, though.

@lawlessx said:

Definitely worth the watch. Great show, but some parts are annoying.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

link don't work

pictures need be put to medium size because they blurry as ****

BUY BOTH!

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I like what Destiny is trying to do.

wasted_wlsdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wasted_wlsdom

@lundy86_4 said:

@lostrib said:

Literally? I'd be behind her, on top, in front, underneath... Everywhere else. She's hot as f*ck. Her eyes are a little weird, though.

@lawlessx said:

So, you guys are actually discussing something as irrelevant as this in a gaming thread? This is really happening?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lundy86_4

@wasted_wlsdom said:

So, you guys are actually discussing something as irrelevant as this in a gaming thread? This is really happening?

Yep.

wasted_wlsdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By wasted_wlsdom

@k2theswiss said:

link don't work

pictures need be put to medium size because they blurry as ****

BUY BOTH!

yeah this thread actually failed epicly and you apparently can't edit polls OP.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Destiny by a mile. I just don't really like competitive MP very much.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

I voted Destiny both but are KILLER apps to me, day 1 for both.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:

Destiny by a mile. I just don't really like competitive MP very much.

Agreed, that's why Mass Effect 3 had the best MP last gen, all co-op(or solo). It encouraged positive game chat and the character synergies with statutes and biotics made team setups so fun. So pumped for ME4 mp now with dedicated servers, no more disconnects on wave 9...ugh...

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Both are Xbox One so those owners wins. Not sold on Destiny yet though.

3SidedSquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By 3SidedSquare
Member since 2008 • 347 Posts

CoD: Mechs or Borderlands In Space? Hmmm...

I'll likely get neither.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lostrib

@wasted_wlsdom said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@lostrib said:

@lawlessx said:

Arrow, and specifically Felicity Smoak, is way more interesting.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts

i arrest my case

picklesurprise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 picklesurprise
Member since 2013 • 185 Posts

@lostrib said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@wasted_wlsdom said:

I don't get it.

That show fucking sucks. All I'm doing is laughing at how bad it is when I watch it but for some reason people like it.

Opus_Rea-333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Opus_Rea-333
Member since 2013 • 1238 Posts

Titanfall will be incredibly addictive thats the only bad thing about it.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lundy86_4

@picklesurprise said:

I don't get it.

That show fucking sucks. All I'm doing is laughing at how bad it is when I watch it but for some reason people like it.

It might be that case, where people have taste, and you don't. It happens every once in a while.

picklesurprise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 picklesurprise
Member since 2013 • 185 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

@picklesurprise said:

I don't get it.

It might be that case, where people have taste, and you don't. It happens every once in a while.

Well your taste sucks then. Arrow has a ridiculous, inconsistent, and unbelievable plot, spotty acting, cheesy dialogue, and lame as shit action sequences.

Also I think Olliver and his sister are going to have sexual relations.

wasted_wlsdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 wasted_wlsdom

@lundy86_4 said:

@wasted_wlsdom said:

Wait, why did you just respond with what you're watching? How is that relevant to my thread and why did you quote me? And again, you also told me to do a TLDR when I bolded the important part for people to not have to read...Dude, are you like....you are one weird kid.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By lundy86_4

@lundy86_4 said:

As TC, you need a TL;DR at the bottom. Trust me.

@wasted_wlsdom said:

Those are in succession... They flow, don'tcha think?

Also, you already responded to my post before...

@wasted_wlsdom said:
@lundy86_4 said:
@wasted_wlsdom said:

@picklesurprise said:

Well your taste sucks then. Arrow has a ridiculous, inconsistent, and unbelievable plot, spotty acting, cheesy dialogue, and lame as shit action sequences.

Also I think Olliver and his sister are going to have sexual relations.

Cool. My opinion versus your opinion. My joshy remark versus yours... Kinda fun.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

Who cares both look like mindless Shooters IMO.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lostrib

@picklesurprise said:

@lostrib said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@wasted_wlsdom said:

I don't get it.

whatever, it's entertaining. I didn't say it was the greatest show in the history of television, but it's an entertaining super hero TV show

dr_jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43  Edited By dr_jashugan
Member since 2006 • 2665 Posts

Hmm, IMO Destiny will have more content than Titanfall. 8-\

MrXboxOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MrXboxOne
Member since 2013 • 799 Posts

Destiny multiplate and zero awards, Titanfall Microsoft exclusive and over 100 awards...... winner Xbox One

Avatar image for supercowelitist
SuperCowElitist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SuperCowElitist
Member since 2013 • 732 Posts

Destiny = New innovating co-op shooter with a world that's changing everyday once you're connected to the internet.

Titanfall = COD shooter clone with mechs - I'll just stick with COD

YD_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46  Edited By YD_11
Member since 2006 • 1867 Posts

Thankfully, i'll be able to play both.on my X1. If i had to pick what game i'm more confident I'd enjoy, I'd say titanfall for the time being

Benny_Blakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 Benny_Blakk
Member since 2007 • 910 Posts

Bungie and Respawn both can suck my dick if either is yet ANOTHER title you pay full price for and requires a monthly subscription fee. Basically, a full price purchase becomes worthless if you don't continue to fork over money.

I'll pass on every and any title with this requirement.

Avatar image for supercowelitist
SuperCowElitist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SuperCowElitist
Member since 2013 • 732 Posts

I can't wait for Destiny. Bungie are truly going to innovate the FPS genre.

Link3301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#49  Edited By Link3301
Member since 2008 • 2001 Posts

Destiny will probably be the better of the two, but I think both games will be fantastic.