Denuvo would make a worse version for our legit customers - Shadow Warrior 2 dev

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

Sauce

“It’s not downgraded. Actually, we added tons of new GFX features and content. For example, we have added volumetric fog and light shafts (from Pax East 2016), we added real-time reflections (from Quacon/Gamescom 2016), enabled real-time shadows for a lot of lights (from Quacon/Gamescom 2016)…”

“We don’t support piracy, but currently there isn’t a good way to stop it without hurting our customers. Denuvo means we would have to spend money for making a worse version for our legit customers. It’s like this FBI warning screen on legit movies.”

why are not more developers are like this? very user friendly, very PC centric, very consumer oriented. denuvo has ruined every single game it touch (well except Doom and its miracle), even Deus Ex MD to some extend when it comes to optimization.

Flying wild hog deserve all respect.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46281 Posts

Who still pirates games when there is stuff like steam sales, automatic updates, workshop support, ... ?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:

Who still pirates games when there is stuff like steam sales, automatic updates, workshop support, ... ?

absolutely. those who buy game will buy game. nowadays there is lot difference between pirate and legit game. pirate game can not be patch, can not be update etc. yet dev are still hurting legit customers by using stupid denuvo.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 R4gn4r0k

@ghosts4ever: Yeah I think pirates are already screwed over enough, because they mostly get vanilla versions of the game;

And you don't even have to spend 50-60 dollars if you shop around some, and if you are really tight on money: just wait for a few sales. You don't need to play a game day one.

But if you buy the game you get a patched version that is way more playable. It's not like many games these days are perfect day one.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:

@ghosts4ever: Yeah I think pirates are already screwed over enough, because they mostly get vanilla versions of the game;

And you don't even have to spend 50-60 dollars if you shop around some, and if you are really tight on money: just wait for a few sales. You don't need to play a game day one.

But if you buy the game you get a patched version that is way more playable. It's not like many games these days are perfect day one.

I never pay full price and buy on day one. I mostly buy from CD keys. that is very cheap

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Denuvo is not the fault for deus ex and there are games using Denuvo that run just fine, it's not killing performance... It does however limit modding possibilities. It is however not free, would they make that amount of money back by using it? hard to tell, most likely not

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34605 Posts

Good move. It's not like pirates can't play Denuvo protected games, so there's zero reason to use it.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ghosts4ever

@Litchie said:

Good move. It's not like pirates can't play Denuvo protected games, so there's zero reason to use it.

pirates play better version of denuvo game. crackers remove denuvo in order to work thus better version.

denuvo making pirate version better than legit version.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

Every Denuvo game I have played has been completely unaffected, I see nothing but people throwing a fit about it and crying but absolutely no effect of it existing in games, nothing, flat out, people are idiots..

It's the same crowd of morons who cry about Uplay every time a Ubisoft game releases, "Uplay = No buy!"... People have absolutely no concept of the things they complain about and the inconsequential effects they have if any, it's ridiculous entitlement and a wave of band-wagoning ignorance.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Howmakewood

@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

pirates play better version of denuvo game. crackers remove denuvo in order to work thus better version.

how? and which titles are actually cracked and not just some bypass?

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Howmakewood

@dynamitecop said:

Every Denuvo game I have played has been completely unaffected, I see nothing but people throwing a fit about it and crying but absolutely no effect of it existing in games, nothing, flat out, people are idiots..

It's the same crowd of morons who cry about Uplay every time a Ubisoft game releases, "Uplay = No buy!"... People have absolutely no concept of the things they complain about and the inconsequential effects they have if any, it's ridiculous entitlement and a wave of band-wagoning ignorance.

pretty much, even to this date there hasn't really been proof of Denuvo causing performance issues and it has been around for quite a while now, Inquisition was one of the first titles? That ran fine, Lords of the Fallen issues had nothing to do with Denuvo etc.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@dynamitecop said:

Every Denuvo game I have played has been completely unaffected,

Pretty much. I've played a bunch of Denuvo games, no issues, and I wouldn't even know about it if I didn't see people mentioning it on forums.

Nothing against the devs view on piracy, nothing against them not wanting to use Denuvo, but I'm not sure why it's seen in such a negative light.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#13 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Nice.

Also agree with @R4GN4ROK

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ghosts4ever

@howmakewood said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

every title has been cracked except deus ex. mirrors edge recently cracked. it take two month to crack denuvo but its been cracked. thus useless.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#15  Edited By GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:
@howmakewood said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

every title has been cracked except deus ex. mirrors edge recently cracked. it take two month to crack denuvo but its been cracked. thus useless.

You are so far off the mark, because as at the time of this post, at least 20 well-known Denuvo games remain uncracked, with 2 of which only bypassed. Even something as old as Just Cause 3 remains uncracked.

Besides, even if it takes only two months to crack a Denuvo title, the pirates are STILL losing. It's basic maths really. In 2014 there were 3 Denuvo titles, In 2015 there were 9 Denuvo titles. It's 2016 and the year is not yet over, and we already have 29 Denuvo titles. There isn't enough time in the world for the pirates to overcome the flood.

By now, nearly every major game publisher has adopted Denuvo, the key exception being Activision Blizzard which focuses on online multiplayers.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Really not a fan of Denuvo for what it does to the mod community. Although you can't even just blame Denuvo for how badly Doom's snapmap feature is.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GhoX

@ReadingRainbow4: It doesn't do anything to the modding community except preventing modification of the .exe file. I honestly don't see how that is a big deal, considering that 99% of mods do not touch the .exe.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

@GhoX said:

@ReadingRainbow4: It doesn't do anything to the modding community except preventing modification of the .exe file. I honestly don't see how that is a big deal, considering that 99% of mods do not touch the .exe.

Except it does. Script Extender (SKSE & FOSE) modifies the exe.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#19 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

@anthonyautumns said:
@GhoX said:

Then that falls into the 1%. :) Besides modding is grossly overrated by PC gamers.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

@Pedro: The best Skyrim/Fallout mods uses SE

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

absolutely. those who buy game will buy game. nowadays there is lot difference between pirate and legit game. pirate game can not be patch, can not be update etc. yet dev are still hurting legit customers by using stupid denuvo.

Actually pirates still get updated versions for most games.

And even most denuvo games are getting cracked.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58951 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@dynamitecop said:

Every Denuvo game I have played has been completely unaffected,

Pretty much. I've played a bunch of Denuvo games, no issues, and I wouldn't even know about it if I didn't see people mentioning it on forums.

Nothing against the devs view on piracy, nothing against them not wanting to use Denuvo, but I'm not sure why it's seen in such a negative light.

I agree with your agreement.

Pc gamers making something out of nothing (no doubt butthurt over not getting a free ride) and developers trying to score cool points via goodwill, when really, little reason not to use it.

koko-goal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 koko-goal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

Instead of wasting money paying for DRM, publishers should use that money to release solid PC games like Gears of War 4.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

drm is an inconvenience to the consumer and nothing else

Pirates had no intentions of buying the game in the first place.They have no problem waiting 2 or 3 months to play.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Awesome, have high respect for CDPR and Flying Wild Hog, such devs deserve to be supported.

@R4gn4r0k said:

Would you buy a game for 400$? that's why.

In third-world countries, where there's no local store for games, a 60$ game equals to one-third of the salary of an average citizen, it's just so expensive and ppl simply can't afford them.

"In Bulgaria, a new game frequently costs almost a third of a minimum wage earner’s monthly income."

Here's an in-depth article which i highly suggest you read it :

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-state-of-pc-piracy-in-2016/

And i am myself, living in a third world country, try to look for good deals (like Gears of War 4 Nvidia Code deal) and steam sales with like 70% off, otherwise i can't simply afford buying them .... back when i was a teenager, i used to pirate ...because that was the only way i could play games.

And btw, you can easily update them, only the multiplayer component is not playable.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 R4gn4r0k

@mjorh: But I heard steams' prices were way cheaper in eastern europe, to combat piracy ?

IF that's the case there is really no excuse. If people want to play a game day one and can't afford it, they should wait for a sale.

But if what you say is true and games costs upwards of half your monthly paycheck,... Then why the **** are big publishers fighting these people anyway ? It's not like they have the money they so desperately want. It's not like combating piracy will lead to more sales then.

BlueEyedCasva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BlueEyedCasva
Member since 2015 • 599 Posts

Most denuvo games this year haven't been Crack yet so ppl will still use it on long as their successful

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mjorh

@R4gn4r0k said:

@mjorh: But I heard steams' prices were way cheaper in eastern europe, to combat piracy ?

IF that's the case there is really no excuse. If people want to play a game day one and can't afford it, they should wait for a sale.

But if what you say is true and games costs upwards of half your monthly paycheck,... Then why the **** are big publishers fighting these people anyway ? It's not like they have the money they so desperately want. It's not like combating piracy will lead to more sales then.

They don't have local stores in some of the third-world countries including mine (I'm in Iran), i used to buy games from Russia, which was, as you said, way cheaper but Steam locked it hence not possible anymore.

It's more of a sanction issue i guess, if they did have local stores here selling games with our currency then obviously we could've afforded buying them

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@Pedro said:
@anthonyautumns said:
@GhoX said:

Then that falls into the 1%. :) Besides modding is grossly overrated by PC gamers.

I'm going to wholeheartedly agree with you about modding, I do it sometimes but it is a minor fraction of PC gaming. Honestly, if it ceased to exist I wouldn't really care that much. The only reason I find it useful is if a game developer fails to reach the graphical standards of their own game engine and the community can do it better.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mjorh

@dynamitecop said:
@Pedro said:
@anthonyautumns said:
@GhoX said:

I'm going to wholeheartedly agree with you about modding, I do it sometimes but it is a minor fraction of PC gaming. Honestly, if it ceased to exist I wouldn't really care that much. The only reason I find it useful is if a game developer fails to reach the graphical standards of their own game engine and the community can do it better.

i don't bother either but it's mainly because i'm not fan of the games in the first place, not a fan of Fallout 4 or Skyrim hence i don't care but for someone who's into the said games, mods play a crucial role. So i'd say it pretty much depends on the game and how heavy the game is modded.

And for some cases, like Dark Souls 1, mods actually improve graphics and fps so they matter here. Overall, yeah it's in minority, but it depends on the games as well.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#31 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@mjorh said:
@dynamitecop said:
@Pedro said:
@anthonyautumns said:
@GhoX said:

i don't bother either but it's mainly because i'm not fan of the games in the first place, not a fan of Fallout 4 or Skyrim hence i don't care but for someone who's into the said games, mods play a crucial role. So i'd say it pretty much depends on the game and how heavy the game is modded.

And for some cases, like Dark Souls 1, mods actually improve graphics and fps so they matter here. Overall, yeah it's in minority, but it depends on the games as well.

I mostly play games without mods but sometimes mods help a lot. God bless CDPR for GOG. Those games are extremely easy to mod for someone like me who isn't too much into modding ("Will this mod work with this one without breaking the game"). DRM adds extra layer of difficulty on top IMO.

When I am playing old games like System Shock 2 and stuff, I use mods to improve visuals and remove some of the technical annoyances. But I still like to keep game balance of vanilla version. Games like Vampire aren't even playable without mods. GOG version comes with basic Wesp5 community patch that makes the game playable.

Some of the most popular games like Dota 2, Counter Strike, Team Fortress and many others started as mods. Every game should support mods. People pay for the game. It should be up to them to enjoy the game the way they want. Just like anything in the world that you purchase.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R4gn4r0k

@mjorh said:

They don't have local stores in some of the third-world countries including mine (I'm in Iran), i used to buy games from Russia, which was, as you said, way cheaper but Steam locked it hence not possible anymore.

It's more of a sanction issue i guess, if they did have local stores here selling games with our currency then obviously we could've afforded buying them

Shame you're in such a situation, man :(

I'll tell you one thing: Buying PC games on CDs and DVDs used to be so big. But it seems like for years now games haven't been releasing in the states on discs. Digital totally took over.

Now for me here in Western-Europe, I used to have no problems finding my games on disc. But lately, I see the PC section getting smaller and smaller. And I fear that buying a PC game on disc is going the way of the dodo.

Which is awful for me because just yesterday I bought Quantum Break Timeless Collectors Edition and it's freakin' amazing.

I can't complain too much, because I have lots of choice where I purchase my games: Steam, Greenmangaming, More grey-area keysites, or as of now: still on a disc.

Games over here cost about 60 euro. But I don't think I've ever spend so much on a game here. On discs I pay about 40 euro. And sometimes I can find games cheaper on Greenmangaming and the gray-area keysites (who get their games from Eastern Europe I think).

How much is a game for you ? And how much would that be in Euro ? And what kinds of sites can you use to buy games ?

And with sanction you mean foreign products are more expensive ? I can understand your situation.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mjorh

@Cloud_imperium said:
@mjorh said:
@dynamitecop said:
@Pedro said:
@anthonyautumns said:

I mostly play games without mods but sometimes mods help a lot. God bless CDPR for GOG. Those games are extremely easy to mod for someone like me who isn't too much into modding ("Will this mod work with this one without breaking the game"). DRM adds extra layer of difficulty on top IMO.

When I am playing old games like System Shock 2 and stuff, I use mods to improve visuals and remove some of the technical annoyances. But I still like to keep game balance of vanilla version. Games like Vampire aren't even playable without mods. GOG version comes with basic Wesp5 community patch that makes the game playable.

Some of the most popular games like Dota 2, Counter Strike, Team Fortress and many others started as mods. Every game should support mods. People pay for the game. It should be up to them to enjoy the game the way they want. Just like anything in the world that you purchase.

Yeah for old games they come in handy, in a way that they significantly overhaul the game.

As for "every game should support mods", i'm in line with you, communities have proven to be creative, the thing is the amount of freedom you have in modding varies with games, for instance, there's not much to do with Batman games or with Mass Effect games ,etc, while on the other hand you can easily overhaul games like Skyrim to a point where the game is different ..that's why i said it depends on the games as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#34 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Isnt the fact that games are coming out unoptimized, full or bugs or glitches, or with microtransactions and dlc the reason people pirate stuff? They dont wanna pay for something broken?

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mjorh

@R4gn4r0k said:
@mjorh said:

Shame you're in such a situation, man :(

I'll tell you one thing: Buying PC games on CDs and DVDs used to be so big. But it seems like for years now games haven't been releasing in the states on discs. Digital totally took over.

Now for me here in Western-Europe, I used to have no problems finding my games on disc. But lately, I see the PC section getting smaller and smaller. And I fear that buying a PC game on disc is going the way of the dodo.

Which is awful for me because just yesterday I bought Quantum Break Timeless Collectors Edition and it's freakin' amazing.

I can't complain too much, because I have lots of choice where I purchase my games: Steam, Greenmangaming, More grey-area keysites, or as of now: still on a disc.

Games over here cost about 60 euro. But I don't think I've ever spend so much on a game here. On discs I pay about 40 euro. And sometimes I can find games cheaper on Greenmangaming and the gray-area keysites (who get their games from Eastern Europe I think).

How much is a game for you ? And how much would that be in Euro ? And what kinds of sites can you use to buy games ?

And with sanction you mean foreign products are more expensive ? I can understand your situation.

Yeah it sucks but we adapt somehow.

Our currency is Rial, 1 dollar equals to 40000 Rials, now since we don't have any local store here, we gotta grab the games for 60$ (by using VPN), which would be around 240000Rials which is a significant amount of money being spent on a single product when you take into account the average income of 700000Rials.

And when you buy games digitally, which is the case for PC games, you also have the download issue, it's taking me two weeks to download Gears of War 4 and i pay 15$ only to download 80GB of data and this is the best case scenario.

Nah, by sanction i mean not having the products/services available for us so we gotta use VPN, for instance, we don't have access to Google servers, Rocket League uses Google servers but we don't have access to them hence not being able to play, and you can't use VPN to play online games due to higher ping and stuff, Or in Origin case, i gotta use VPN to get into it then when i wanna start playing BF4 i have to disable the VPN again (to lower my ping) ...it's all hassle, it's a mess.

WAJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 WAJ
Member since 2003 • 771 Posts

I own Rise of the Tomb Raider, bought through Steam and I am having trouble because of Denuvo.

I work away from home for two weeks at a time with very poor/no internet at all most of the time. This, so far on my current job has prevented me from being able to run the game (because of Denuvo). Just be aware that there are still people in this day and age who work in areas where there is little or no internet coverage. This is a massive headache for legit players who buy games which have Denuvo protection, so much so that when I get home in a few days, I'm considering "cracking" the game just so I can play it when I'm away at work.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GhoX

@hillelslovak said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Isnt the fact that games are coming out unoptimized, full or bugs or glitches, or with microtransactions and dlc the reason people pirate stuff? They dont wanna pay for something broken?

I also don't want to pay for McDonald, but it doesn't mean I should automatically get McDonald for free.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@GhoX said:
@hillelslovak said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

I also don't want to pay for McDonald, but it doesn't mean I should automatically get McDonald for free.

no. its an answer to evil corporate who treat custemors like trash. piracy is not crime, nor its stealing. its like if someone stole your car at midnight. you woke up and car still there.

its a duplicate copy of original. its file sharing.

also why dont you want to pay for mcdonald when they have best fries on earth? come on.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 R4gn4r0k

@ghosts4ever said:
@GhoX said:
@hillelslovak said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

no. its an answer to evil corporate who treat custemors like trash. piracy is not crime, nor its stealing. its like if someone stole your car at midnight. you woke up and car still there.

also why dont you want to pay for mcdonald when they have best fries on earth? come on.

You have obviously never been to Belgium.

Just because piracy isn't stealing, doesn't make it right. It's a really weak excuse. If everyone cloned the same car the car industry would go bankrupt.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

@Pedro said:
@anthonyautumns said:
@GhoX said:

The best and most awesome mods uses the Script Extender...

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@GhoX said:
@hillelslovak said:

You have obviously never been to Belgium.

Just because piracy isn't stealing, doesn't make it right. It's a really weak excuse. If everyone cloned the same car the car industry would go bankrupt.

Borrowing someone's copy of a game is no different in the eyes of the content creators its a lost sale. Or even 2nd hand market like with gamestop, a copy can pass through a half dozen hands resulting multiple lost sales over a period of time. If people are not willing to spend the amount asked for a retail/new copy of game, borrowing, buying a used copy or pirating have all the same type of affect to the content creators. And 2/3rds of those actions are not illegal anywhere while the 3rd "pirating" is a gray area.