Demon Souls PC version will happen

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MotherRussia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MotherRussia
Member since 2003 • 946 Posts

I think so. Action RPGs are quite comon on the PC, and they do well (Witcher sales) so I think Sony will port this game to the PC. PErhaps they want to keep the IP exclusive to the PS3 but the PS3 and the PC dont really compete so I think they will port it. Thoughts?

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
Sony owns the Demon's Souls IP not From Software, so, no, it's not happening.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#3 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
Sony owns the IP, will they port it? Doubtful.
hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 hot114
Member since 2003 • 4489 Posts

This thread makes little sense

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

I'll just settle for Sony releasing it worldwide. Maybe this will make them pull their finger out. This is litterally the only game i've wanted on PS3 for over a year excluding arcade titles.

A PC port would be awesome but i''ll not hold my breath.

DarkyC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DarkyC
Member since 2007 • 713 Posts

I'll just settle for Sony releasing it worldwide. Maybe this will make them pull their finger out. This is litterally the only game i've wanted on PS3 for over a year excluding arcade titles.

1080pOnly

IMport, it's actually cheaper than buying where I live.

shalashaska88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 shalashaska88
Member since 2005 • 3198 Posts
Uh, no.
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

Never going to happen, Sony published the game and they would never allow it.

rogerjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 rogerjak
Member since 2004 • 14950 Posts

I reeeeeeeally doubt it.

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

[QUOTE="1080pOnly"]

DarkyC

IMport, it's actually cheaper than buying where I live.

Going to have to, still it's a hassle as I don't really have an importer I trust but i'll find one. Just seems so stupid not to find a publisher, maybe i'll buy a 100 on import and sell them over here :P.

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
As cool as that may be, the chance of it happening is very slim.
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FlamesOfGrey

AnnoyedDragon
They own the IP so there's nothing to "allow", From Software can't do anything.
zaibutzu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13 zaibutzu
Member since 2004 • 1276 Posts
You see Microsoft does ports to PC, cause most PCs operate on Windows, a product of Microsoft. Sony however, does not have as big a reason to port games to PC.
LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
As much as I wish it would, it won't. I have the game for PS3 but would instantly buy a PC version knowing that I'll be able to play the game for years to come.
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

Do people have anything to back up the claim that Sony owns the IP?

It's not that I don't trust it, it's just that I want some proof on it. Why did Atlus publish it in the US and not Sony then?

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts

AnnoyedDragon
Why not? Sony has a vested interest in the PC platform too.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Thread title + OP = ?????

Misleading at best.

bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bleehum
Member since 2004 • 5321 Posts
Not gonna happen.
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FlamesOfGrey

Do people have anything to back up the claim that Sony owns the IP?

It's not that I don't trust it, it's just that I want some proof on it. Why did Atlus publish it in the US and not Sony then?

JLF1

Sony didn't want to obviously. It was never intended to leave Japan / Asian Territories. Also, another reason would be Sony didnt want to spend the money localizing a game that could potentially flop. Atlus U.S.A. on the other hand only does a limited 1st print of their published games 90% of the time (hence why Demon's Souls got a 2nd print directly after the first).

I saw a link on it a while back but I can't be bother to search for it. Use google.

sakura_Ex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sakura_Ex
Member since 2007 • 3066 Posts
I think someone got the PS3 and 360 mixed up.
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

Why not? Sony has a vested interest in the PC platform too.Vandalvideo

The only games Sony is going to share with PC are MMOs; and that's because the MMO market on PC is too big to ignore. When it comes to single player games; they keep them on PS3 to differentiate the platform from 360.

Sony has taken games away from PC by waving their check book at them. Haze was on, not that anyone cares. But Heavy Rain is another example of a game that was cross platform until Sony intervened.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#22 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

Demon's souls would be amazing on the PC. I'm really sick of the weakness of the GPU's of consoles. But it won't ever happen. Maybe someone will make a DS clone for pc.

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
Sony owns the Demon's Souls IP not From Software, so, no, it's not happening.FlamesOfGrey
What do you mean they "own" it?
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts
[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]Sony owns the Demon's Souls IP not From Software, so, no, it's not happening.xsubtownerx

From what I understand, Sony is the first-tier publisher of the game, and the game was released in Japan under the Sony label. It was then licensed to Atlus, who localized the games for an American release. But since Sony is the original publisher who contracted From to develop the game, Sony gets the final call.
siddarthshetty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 siddarthshetty
Member since 2008 • 9463 Posts

Nah..not gonna happen

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 xsubtownerx
[QUOTE="xsubtownerx"][QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]Sony owns the Demon's Souls IP not From Software, so, no, it's not happening.HuusAsking

From what I understand, Sony is the first-tier publisher of the game, and the game was released in Japan under the Sony label. It was then licensed to Atlus, who localized the games for an American release. But since Sony is the original publisher who contracted From to develop the game, Sony gets the final call.

Being the original publisher doesn't mean squat. Unless they helped fund the game, they would only own the rights in Japan. And even then, anything could happen. Of course I doubt we'll see a port of any kind, but you never know. No third party exclusive is safe this gen. :P
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"][QUOTE="xsubtownerx"] What do you mean they "own" it?xsubtownerx

Being the original publisher doesn't mean squat. Unless they helped fund the game, they would only own the rights in Japan. And even then, anything could happen. Of course I doubt we'll see a port of any kind, but you never know. No third party exclusive is safe this gen. :P

Being the original publisher means you own the rights. It's the publisher who contracts the developer to make the game. Everything starts from the publisher--in this case, Sony. Put it this way. Psygnosis contracted DMA Design to create Lemmings. Take-Two bought DMA and turned it into Rockstar North. Sony Europe bought Psygnosis. Guess who owns the rights to Lemmings.

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xsubtownerx

[QUOTE="xsubtownerx"][QUOTE="HuusAsking"]From what I understand, Sony is the first-tier publisher of the game, and the game was released in Japan under the Sony label. It was then licensed to Atlus, who localized the games for an American release. But since Sony is the original publisher who contracted From to develop the game, Sony gets the final call.HuusAsking

Being the publishers means you own the rights. It's the publisher who contracts the developer to make the game. Put it this way. Psygnosis contracted DMA Design to create Lemmings. Take-Two bought DMA and turned it into Rockstar North. Sony Europe bought Psygnosis. Guess who owns the rights to Lemmings.

No idea. All I know is that Atlus published the game in NA. And PAL regions have yet to see the game.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HuusAsking
[QUOTE="HuusAsking"]

[QUOTE="xsubtownerx"]Being the original publisher doesn't mean squat. Unless they helped fund the game, they would only own the rights in Japan. And even then, anything could happen. Of course I doubt we'll see a port of any kind, but you never know. No third party exclusive is safe this gen. :Pxsubtownerx

Being the publishers means you own the rights. It's the publisher who contracts the developer to make the game. Put it this way. Psygnosis contracted DMA Design to create Lemmings. Take-Two bought DMA and turned it into Rockstar North. Sony Europe bought Psygnosis. Guess who owns the rights to Lemmings.

No idea. All I know is that Atlus published the game in NA. And PAL regions have yet to see the game.

Sony let Atlus publish the game; it's called sub-licensing. It was originally intended as a Japan-only release. Sony would have to either let Atlus or someone else publish the game in Europe or do it themselves. But again, as first publisher (and the first publisher funds the developers), Sony has the final say.
ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#30 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

PC gamers would absolutely eat this game up. I have been saying it since I imported it back in April.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FlamesOfGrey

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]Sony owns the Demon's Souls IP not From Software, so, no, it's not happening.xsubtownerx

It's their game, you know like how Sony owns Rachet & Resistance IP's even though Insomniac is 2nd Party. Insomniac can't take Rachet & Resistance with them if they decide to stop working with Sony. From Software cannot just take Demon's Souls and port it to the 360 or PC, as it isn't theirs to do so. I wish I still had the link. Sony contracted From Software to develop Demon's Souls and even had their own Japanese developers help with the development.

Edit: Ah I see since From Software is 3rd Party you think they just made a game and then made a dealwith Sony topublish it. Sony came up with Demon's Souls and owns it, just like Tri-Ace is 3rd Party but Microsoft owns the Inifnite Undiscovery IP.

RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

Not going to happen! Sony owns the IP, they paid for Demon Soul's development. It's another game made to convince people from other plataforms to buy a PS3.

BTW, The Witcher isn't an action-RPG.Combat and leveling system isn't everything the game has to offer.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

[QUOTE="xsubtownerx"][QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]Sony owns the Demon's Souls IP not From Software, so, no, it's not happening.FlamesOfGrey

It's their game, you know like how Sony owns Rachet & Resistance IP's even though Insomniac is 2nd Party. Insomniac can't take Rachet & Resistance with them if they decide to stop working with Sony. From Software cannot just take Demon's Souls and port it to the 360 or PC, as it isn't theirs to do so. I wish I still had the link. Sony contracted From Software to develop Demon's Souls and even had their own Japanese developers help with the development.

Edit: Ah I see since From Software is 3rd Party you think they just made a game and then made a dealwith Sony topublish it. Sony came up with Demon's Souls and owns it, just like Tri-Ace is 3rd Party but Microsoft owns the Inifnite Undiscovery IP.

Some of the stony staff were designers as well.

Racer850

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Racer850
Member since 2009 • 2293 Posts
I doubt it will happen.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
You compare witcher with that? I live to say the day that a game like that will come to pc, that day microsoft will lose completly its ties to pc and the pc will be more related to sony and japan!!! :D
xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 xsubtownerx

[QUOTE="xsubtownerx"][QUOTE="HuusAsking"]Being the publishers means you own the rights. It's the publisher who contracts the developer to make the game. Put it this way. Psygnosis contracted DMA Design to create Lemmings. Take-Two bought DMA and turned it into Rockstar North. Sony Europe bought Psygnosis. Guess who owns the rights to Lemmings.

HuusAsking

Sony let Atlus publish the game; it's called sub-licensing. It was originally intended as a Japan-only release. Sony would have to either let Atlus or someone else publish the game in Europe or do it themselves. But again, as first publisher (and the first publisher funds the developers), Sony has the final say.

I still don't quite believe it. How many Sony games this gen has Sony ONLY published in Japan for the PS3? They usually have world wide releases for their games.

johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts
misleading thread title is misleading seriously here i was thiking a pc version had been announced i should have known better :( well in a decade i should be able to play on pc alon with every other ps3 game ;)
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts
[QUOTE="MotherRussia"]

I think so. Action RPGs are quite comon on the PC, and they do well (Witcher sales) so I think Sony will port this game to the PC. PErhaps they want to keep the IP exclusive to the PS3 but the PS3 and the PC dont really compete so I think they will port it. Thoughts?

Wait for CryEngine3 based titles. PS3's RSX optimisations for CryEngine3, will make CryEngine3's core experience more consistent across DX9 and DX10 mid-range PC GPUs.
Mattizzle815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#40 Mattizzle815
Member since 2008 • 895 Posts

I say let them port it to the PC and 360, so everyone else can enjoy this piece of awesomeness.

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts
Nope, luckily I have a PS3 and PC. And have already played and beat demon souls.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 HuusAsking

No idea. All I know is that Atlus published the game in NA. And PAL regions have yet to see the game.Mattizzle815

I still don't quite believe it. How many Sony games this gen has Sony ONLY published in Japan for the PS3? They usually have world wide releases for their games.

I don't know about Sony itself, but there are a number of Japan-only PS3 games out there. Some are anime-based like Megazone 23 and Initial D Extreme Stage. Others work best with Japanese cultural tastes and wouldn't associate well with the West (similarly, plenty of American PS3 games, like American foorball games, don't see Japanese releases--mostly for cultural reasons).

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

You see Microsoft does ports to PC, cause most PCs operate on Windows, a product of Microsoft. Sony however, does not have as big a reason to port games to PC.zaibutzu

You mean like all these Sony PC games that don't exist?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

This is not going to happen. I've explained this about 100 times to posters, yet here I see the same posters that I educated posting the same things! :(

I hope everyone reads this thread to stop the Demon's Souls questions! I will dig up some of my other posts to make this a bit easier, and to avoid a bunch of questions.

From Software is a 2nd Party Developer in the case of Demon's Souls, working for Sony. Sony Planned, Co-created, and owns the Demon's Souls IP and Game. :)

Sony doesn't From Software, however Sony worked with them to create Demon's Souls as a 1st Party Sony Game.

How can I explain this...Think EPIC (The Game company that made Unreal and GeoW.).

Epic is a Known 3rd Party, can make games, do whatever they want. M$ approached them and had them create GeoW 1&2 for the Xbox 360 Platform. M$ will own GeoW 1&2 when it's all said and done. M$ does NOT own EPIC.

In this case, EPIC, who are usually a 3rd Party, will now be a second Party developer, hired to create these two games for M$.

Whatever is created, M$ has conplete control over, and owns outright. Epic is payed and deals are made.

From Software is a known 3rd Party.

However, both SONY and M$ hired FS to make 1st Party games for both companies.

Sony even pitched in devs to help make their game.

The end result was that M$ received and owns Ninja Blade developed by FS. Sony received and owns Demon's Souls developed by FS and Sony.

Sony decided that DS wouldn't sell to western audiences, and ATLUS approached Sony to release the game to the Western side, which is what ATLUS does A LOT. Many of ATLUS' games aren't ATLUS made at all.

No, don't get confused.

No, all exclusive games are NOT 1st Party!

HOWEVER, Sony games are 1st party (Just like Nintendo's Games and M$ games are 1st Party).Sony owns Demon's Souls, that's it.

Let's look at M$ for a second. GeoW is a 1st Party game, despite EPIC being a free 3rd Party. GeoW IS a M$ property (Well, GeoW and GeoW2 is, after that ownership transfers to EPIC).

Bulletwitch (an exclusive 360 game) is a 3rd Party game, but it is exclusive to the 360...like Valkeria Chronicles on PS3, which is made by Sega.

Here's another EXAMPLE.

M$ owns an IP called PHANTOM DUST. It's all M$'s. Fun game, especially online. Now, M$ did not feel the Japanese sty.le of the game would sell well in the WEST. So, M$ opted to NOT BOTHER PUBLISHING their very own game, PDust, because it didn't seem it would sell well.

Although PHANTOM DUST was a M$ property, M$ licensed PDUST for release in the U.S. by a 3rd party,Majesco, and let them take the risk in the west. Sony has allowed ATLUS to do the same thing. In fact, MANY GAMES FROM ATLUS are not ATLUS Properties at all! :o

Did you ever play a PS2 game called SKYGUNNER? Like Demons Souls, that was a SONY OWNED game, but again, SONY had no faith in the game sales in the WEST...so SONY allowed good ol' ATLUS to Publish Skygunner in the States.
Skygunner is STILL a SONY 1st Party Game.

Demons Souls is a SONY Game, made by SONY and From Software. Sony hired FS to make a game for SONY, and SONY owns the IP.SONY may or may not use FS to make a sequel, that's up to SONY. Just like Dark Cloud. It's a SONY PROPERTY, But, it was made by Level 5.

If you had a PS3, you could IMPORT Demon's SOULS right now, and see it's a SONY game.

Look at the bottom right hand corner of the box...

Considering it's a Sony1stParty game that being brought over courtesy of ATLUS, I hope this makes sense.

Sony doesn't believe their 1stPartySony game, Demon'sSouls, will sell well in the west due to the difficulty, amongst other things.

Same thing about PHANTOM DUST last gen on Xbox. It's a M$ 1stParty game that M$ didn't think would sell well, so they let Majesco Port it over to the West.

Are you just being more General? Do you mean 1stParty games like Uncharted, Halo, Mario, Ratchet, Resistance, Zelda, Banjo, Fable, Jak, InFamous, Killzone, Metroid, Demon'sSouls, should just be on all consoles?

I agree, that would be cool.

Actually Sony hired FS to make them this game. DS was Jointly Developed by Sony and they had FS develop the game that Sony planned and produced, making FS a Second Party in this case.

Sony planned the DEMON's SOULS, and did a partnership with From Software to have FS co create it. SONY then Produced this product as it is SONY's game after all. That's why DS is a ps3 exclusive game.

What you have to ask yourself, is when this game is finished, who owns the IP. You see, there is no such thing as a 2nd Party game, per se. There is Second Party Developers, but ultimately it's either a 3rd Party game or a 1stparty game.

Like Level 5 who made Rogue Galaxy for Sony, Insomniac who made Ratchet and Resistance for Sony. There is other companies that do this all the time, Ninja Blade, Phantom Dust, Metroid M, ATV offroad fury, etc.

You don't have to own the studio to OWN the game, just ask ACTIVISION, EA, Capcom (who hired GRIN to make Bionic Commando), etc.

Demon's Souls is a 1st Party Sony owned game, but Sony decided that this game is too hard for the West, and therefore fears LOW Sales.

I've had to explain this a few times, but this is the shortest version I can come up with, does that make sense?

This should help explain why it's exclusive.Look at this Japanese Box as a final entry.

ATLUS publishing DS in the West, and FS being involved with DS confuses a lot of posters, I guess.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 HuusAsking

Demon's Souls is a 1st Party Sony owned game, but Sony decided that this game is too hard for the West, and therefore fears LOW Sales.

I've had to explain this a few times, but this is the shortest version I can come up with, does that make sense?

This should help explain why it's exclusive.Look at this Japanese Box as a final entry.

ATLUS publishing DS in the West, and FS being involved with DS confuses a lot of posters, I guess.

SolidTy

Then how would you address xsubtownerx's claim that Sony tends towards worldwide releases most of the time since one of the PS3's hallmarks is that, as far as games are concerned, it's regionless?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

I hope everyone reads this thread to stop the Demon's Souls questions! I will dig up some of my other posts to make this a bit easier, and to avoid a bunch of questions.

Remember SAUDI, you asked for it!:P:

From Software is a 2nd Party Developer in the case of Demon's Souls, working for Sony. Sony Planned, Co-created, and owns the Demon's Souls IP and Game. :)

Sony doesn't From Software, however Sony worked with them to create Demon's Souls as a 1st Party Sony Game.

How can I explain this...Think EPIC (The Game company that made Unreal and GeoW.).

Epic is a Known 3rd Party, can make games, do whatever they want. M$ approached them and had them create GeoW 1&2 for the Xbox 360 Platform. M$ will own GeoW 1&2 when it's all said and done. M$ does NOT own EPIC.

In this case, EPIC, who are usually a 3rd Party, will now be a second Party developer, hired to create these two games for M$.

Whatever is created, M$ has conplete control over, and owns outright. Epic is payed and deals are made.

From Software is a known 3rd Party.

However, both SONY and M$ hired FS to make 1st Party games for both companies.

Sony even pitched in devs to help make their game.

The end result was that M$ received and owns Ninja Blade developed by FS. Sony received and owns Demon's Souls developed by FS and Sony.

Sony decided that DS wouldn't sell to western audiences, and ATLUS approached Sony to release the game to the Western side, which is what ATLUS does A LOT. Many of ATLUS' games aren't ATLUS made at all.

No, don't get confused.

No, all exclusive games are NOT 1st Party!

HOWEVER, Sony games are 1st party (Just like Nintendo's Games and M$ games are 1st Party).Sony owns Demon's Souls, that's it.

Let's look at M$ for a second. GeoW is a 1st Party game, despite EPIC being a free 3rd Party. GeoW IS a M$ property (Well, GeoW and GeoW2 is, after that ownership transfers to EPIC).

Bulletwitch (an exclusive 360 game) is a 3rd Party game, but it is exclusive to the 360...like Valkeria Chronicles on PS3, which is made by Sega.

Here's another EXAMPLE.

M$ owns an IP called PHANTOM DUST. It's all M$'s. Fun game, especially online. Now, M$ did not feel the Japanese sty.le of the game would sell well in the WEST. So, M$ opted to NOT BOTHER PUBLISHING their very own game, PDust, because it didn't seem it would sell well.

Although PHANTOM DUST was a M$ property, M$ licensed PDUST for release in the U.S. by a 3rd party,Majesco, and let them take the risk in the west. Sony has allowed ATLUS to do the same thing. In fact, MANY GAMES FROM ATLUS are not ATLUS Properties at all! :o

Did you ever play a PS2 game called SKYGUNNER? Like Demons Souls, that was a SONY OWNED game, but again, SONY had no faith in the game sales in the WEST...so SONY allowed good ol' ATLUS to Publish Skygunner in the States.
Skygunner is STILL a SONY 1st Party Game.

Demons Souls is a SONY Game, made by SONY and From Software. Sony hired FS to make a game for SONY, and SONY owns the IP.SONY may or may not use FS to make a sequel, that's up to SONY. Just like Dark Cloud. It's a SONY PROPERTY, But, it was made by Level 5.

If you had a PS3, you could IMPORT Demon's SOULS right now, and see it's a SONY game.

Look at the bottom right hand corner of the box...

Considering it's a Sony1stParty game that being brought over courtesy of ATLUS, I hope this makes sense.

Sony doesn't believe their 1stPartySony game, Demon'sSouls, will sell well in the west due to the difficulty, amongst other things.

Same thing about PHANTOM DUST last gen on Xbox. It's a M$ 1stParty game that M$ didn't think would sell well, so they let Majesco Port it over to the West.

Are you just being more General? Do you mean 1stParty games like Uncharted, Halo, Mario, Ratchet, Resistance, Zelda, Banjo, Fable, Jak, InFamous, Killzone, Metroid, Demon'sSouls, should just be on all consoles?

I agree, that would be cool.

Actually Sony hired FS to make them this game. DS was Jointly Developed by Sony and they had FS develop the game that Sony planned and produced, making FS a Second Party in this case.

Sony planned the DEMON's SOULS, and did a partnership with From Software to have FS co create it. SONY then Produced this product as it is SONY's game after all. That's why DS is a ps3 exclusive game.

What you have to ask yourself, is when this game is finished, who owns the IP. You see, there is no such thing as a 2nd Party game, per se. There is Second Party Developers, but ultimately it's either a 3rd Party game or a 1stparty game.

Like Level 5 who made Rogue Galaxy for Sony, Insomniac who made Ratchet and Resistance for Sony. There is other companies that do this all the time, Ninja Blade, Phantom Dust, Metroid M, ATV offroad fury, etc.

You don't have to own the studio to OWN the game, just ask ACTIVISION, EA, Capcom (who hired GRIN to make Bionic Commando), etc.

-------------

(Condensed below to answer xsubtownerx's claim)

HuusAsking

Then how would you address xsubtownerx's claim that Sony tends towards worldwide releases most of the time since one of the PS3's hallmarks is that, as far as games are concerned, it's regionless?

Well, it's true. Sony usually would like to make games in all regions (like most publishers), however, I pointed at Sony's own PS2 game, Skygunner, right?

I put a box up there...

We didn't get VIB RIBBON and many other SONY games as well. There's more, but why should look this up? I did all that other work. What I can say is that It happens, from multiple companies/publishers, including Sony.

Besides pointing at Skygunner a Sony game, and Sony's own Vib Ribbon...looking at this generation there is Sony's PS3 game AFRIKA, which again, some other publisher is taking a chance on (Natsume) as again, SONY doesn't deem it's worthy (sales-wise, I'm sure.).

White Knight Chronicles also seems to have had some issues, but an International version was finally announced. It's all about sales, and protecting a brand name.

So it seems, although off the top of my head, Sony's Vib Ribbon, Skygunner, and this gen's very own AFRIKA and Demon's Souls should refute xsub's claims. :P

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

Sony owns Demon's souls if you want a proof then go to Demon's souls official siteand read what written below:

©2009 Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Licensed to and published by Atlus U.S.A., Inc.
"PlayStation" and the "PS" Family logo are registered trademarks and "PS3" is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
The PlayStation Network Logo is a service mark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
The ratings icon is a trademark of the Entertainment Software Association.

But if you look at any 3rd part game Assassins creed for example:

© 2009 Ubisoft Entertainment. All Rights Reserved. Assassin's Creed, Ubisoft, Ubi.com, and the Ubisoft logo are trademarks of Ubisoft Entertainment in the U.S. and/or other countries. "PlayStation" and the "PS" Family logo are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. Microsoft, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox LIVE, and the Xbox logos are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies and are used under license from Microsoft. Software platform logo (TM and ©) EMA 2006.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 HuusAsking

Sony owns Demon's souls if you want a proof then go to Demon's souls official siteand read what written below:

©2009 Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Licensed to and published by Atlus U.S.A., Inc.
"PlayStation" and the "PS" Family logo are registered trademarks and "PS3" is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
The PlayStation Network Logo is a service mark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
The ratings icon is a trademark of the Entertainment Software Association.

Kashiwaba
The first line is the important one. It notes Sony as the primary copyright holder (because it's the first-tier publisher). The other lines are simply trademark legalese for the PS logos, which are required posting for any PS game.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 HuusAsking

Well, it's true. Sony usually would like to make games in all regions (like most publishers), however, I pointed at Sony's own PS2 game, Skygunner, right?

I put a box up there...

We didn't get VIB RIBBON and many other SONY games as well. There's more, but why should look this up? I did all that other work. What I can say is that It happens, from multiple companies/publishers, including Sony.

Besides pointing at Skygunner a Sony game, and Sony's own Vib Ribbon...looking at this generation there is Sony's PS3 game AFRIKA, which again, some other publisher is taking a chance on (Natsume) as again, SONY doesn't deem it's worthy (sales-wise, I'm sure.).

White Knight Chronicles also seems to have had some issues, but an International version was finally announced. It's all about sales, and protecting a brand name.

SolidTy

It should be noted that Skygunner was a PS2 game. Region coding was in effect, then.

But PS3's are regionless and Sony wants to tout that as much as it can. Why else would they make it clear in its boasting and so on?

Different generations, different rules.

But anyway, thanks for providing counterexamples. Most of the ones I could find were third-party and mostly anime-based. I couldn't find anything that directly came from Sony.