uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58991 Posts

Finally some good news, no more Dead Space. You can play something better.

Dead Space 2 Remake Reportedly Shelved Due To Poor Sales

• A Dead Space 2 remake has reportedly been shelved by EA.
  • Gaming insider and Giant Bomb reporter Jeff Grubb claims this is due to the slow sales of the first game's remake.
  • Motive will now work on Iron Man and Battlefield, as confirmed by EA earlier this week.

A reliable gaming insider has claimed that a remake of Dead Space 2 was cancelled (or at least shelved) by EA due to the disappointing sales numbers of the first game's remake.

After a decade without anything new from the Dead Space series, EA and Motive blessed us last year with an excellent remake of the first game that understood what made it so special while improving on it in almost every way. Sure, it was a little bit easier than the original, but it was still one of the year's best games and something that indicated a bright future for the series.

Despite EA and Motivehinting that a remake of the second game could be happening at some point, the slow sales of Dead Space and the team starting development on an Iron Man game did make it seem a little unlikely. Well, I hate to be proven right, but it seems that a remake of Dead Space 2 isn't going to be happening any time soon.

As pointed out by Twitter user Knoebelbroet, reliable gaming insider and Giant Bomb reporter Jeff Grubb revealed while talking to startmenu's Lex Luddy on the latest episode of Game Mess Mornings that EA Motive had been working on a remake of Dead Space 2, but that it got cancelled due to the disappointing sales of the first game's remake.

While reacting to the news that Motive is now working on Battlefield alongside Iron Man and turning into a two-project studio, Grubb revealed that a remake of Dead Space 2 was being worked on by Motive and was in the "concept" phase, but was shelved due to how the Dead Space remake sold.

"They said that they are going to be a two-project team going forward and that will be Iron Man and Battlefield... so they were working on it, they were working on Dead Space 2 and they are no longer working on it. It is on the shelf because the first game had lacklustre sales."

Grubb says that it's "straight-up" bad news for anyone who was hoping for a Dead Space 2 remake, and that it's unlikely that it will end up happening. It is possible that the project gets picked up later down the line, but for now it's probably worth considering Dead Space to be on hold until anything happens.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58328 Posts

Didn't the Dead Space remake do incredibly well?

Wonder if the second is a victim of the first's success, i.e. expectations are too high which in turn drive up the budget and marketing demands, etc..

Or it could just be more of the whole "this doesn't have multiplayer and we therefore can't drip-bleed our customers with MTXs, so we ain't making it".

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46321 Posts

Yeah I bought Dead Space Remake on launch and felt it was the only one.

First of all, screw them for leaving the PC version unpatched. The frostbite engine can stream just fine yet on PC the level streaming was left like a complete mess.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24926 Posts

Doesnot need remake. RE4 raise the bar for remakes anyways.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18798 Posts

@mrbojangles25: "Didn't the Dead Space remake do incredibly well?"

I guess people were comparing it to Callisto Protocol's sales.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 uninspiredcup
@R4gn4r0k said:

Yeah I bought Dead Space Remake on launch and felt it was the only one.

First of all, screw them for leaving the PC version unpatched. The frostbite engine can stream just fine yet on PC the level streaming was left like a complete mess.

And this right here is another reminder why do not buy new games at launch.

They don't care, we've normalized it, they know they can get away with it over and over.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56128 Posts

EA did put out a survey asking fans if they want to see DS2 Remake and even myself voted yes.

Also, I don’t think it was shelved. Delayed makes more sense if you think about it. Ironman game takes priority as this is a higher up IP game from Disney. Doesn’t make sense that they shelved it for low sales but yet they seen low sales and still decided to go in to pre-production anyways? If that’s the case they would’ve shelved it before pre-production.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10449 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Grubb says that it's "straight-up" bad news for anyone who was hoping for a Dead Space 2 remake

a terrible shame for those four people.

edit: sorry five, including dav.

for a minute the non-cynical side of me thought they might have remade the first to drum up interest and pave the way for a fourth

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44202 Posts

Well that’s disappointing to hear. 😔

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1241 Posts

2 needs a remake less then the 1st game, and the 1st one didn't need it. (Also found the remake to be a bit underwhelming)

Hopefully EA can use Motiv to put more microtransactions in their other games.

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 911 Posts

Reviewed well and didn't exploit the customer base for all their money. There was no other option besides cancelling it.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3226 Posts

That sucks. Was the sales for the remake that low or is EA being super greedy and wanted the game to sell over 100 million copies?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44569 Posts

I doubt it was even in works, it was already announced Motive has a licensed Iron Man game planned to follow Dead Space Remake's release and it still hasn't even been debuted/teased so kind of expected any Dead Space 2 remake would be a while.

More "insider" BS.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator

Debunked: EA Shoots Down Dead Space 2 Remake Rumors: 'No Validity to This Story'

Like I said above, EA put out a survey for DS2 Remake and so far, the reception was well received anyway. Glad we got those rumors taken care off. I'll leave the thread open for now.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 uninspiredcup

It's EA, they lie.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator

No kidding. Probably just a cover up so they can file a Tax Right-off.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7237 Posts

Seen dead space 1 going in the UK for £10 on the Xbox. It's no surprise to me 2 is cancelled.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R4gn4r0k

@uninspiredcup: I'm not Ghandi bro, I don't want to change the world, just play great games.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 uninspiredcup

@R4gn4r0k said:

@uninspiredcup: I'm not Ghandi bro, I don't want to change the world, just play great games.

Me too. Except when they are wanting £60 I like my games to work.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

I would of played it...oh well.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 R4gn4r0k

@uninspiredcup: beat the game start to finish on launch version. You're waiting for an optimization patch that's never happening (Team has since moved on to Battlefield)

There are deal breakers and there are nice to haves.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10449 Posts

@robert_sparkes said:

Seen dead space 1 going in the UK for £10 on the Xbox. It's no surprise to me 2 is cancelled.

its been free on gamepass for ages

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#23 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17812 Posts

Gotta love the fear mongering and the lengths that people will go to for clicks and views. If you don't know something for certain, just the fuk up.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44569 Posts

EA already shot this rumor down. So much for the "insiders". Sometimes I wonder if shit like this is done just to goad a response.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 uninspiredcup

@lamprey263 said:

EA already shot this rumor down.

That's like saying a Nazi denied war crimes.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 uninspiredcup

@R4gn4r0k said:

@uninspiredcup: beat the game start to finish on launch version. You're waiting for an optimization patch that's never happening (Team has since moved on to Battlefield)

There are deal breakers and there are nice to haves.

So the team has been dispanded to work on other projects?

Had no intention of buying this to begin with, it's EA. It's in the name.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 R4gn4r0k

@BassMan: yeah we'll never know. I mean I would have liked a remake. But then the original exists so what's the point.

Only Dead Space 3 truly needs a remake as that one has to be completely reworked and remade in order to fit in with the other 2 masterpieces.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By uninspiredcup
@BassMan said:

Gotta love the fear mongering and the lengths that people will go to for clicks and views. If you don't know something for certain, just the fuk up.

The team was disbanded and nobody actually cares about the game. Taking EA's word for it, which itself, is dumb.

In reality should be thanking me for reminding people the franchise exists.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6059 Posts

Never played the originals or the remake, so a big ol meh from me.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34617 Posts

You can't possibly think Dead Space 2 needs a remake.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38863 Posts

The only remake i actually wanted since i didn't play the original. But yet again they put 30 studios on BF, and it'll come out in a mega shit state. Also, who asked for some childish Iron Man? Go play Anthem.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#32  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17812 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@BassMan said:

The team was disbanded and nobody actually cares about the game. Taking EA's word for it, which itself, is dumb.

In reality should be thanking me for reminding people the franchise exists.

How can you confirm that it is cancelled when there is no confirmation that it even existed? Shit reporting.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22688 Posts

Good move! The game doesn't need a remake just like the first one didn't. I played dead space 2008 before the remake launched and it is better than many sp games that come out now. Unnecessary is unnecessary.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2480 Posts

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hardwenzen

This is just depressing. EA really are a bunch of bitches. Hope their next BF game bombs, and this time around i won't buy it🤭

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Litchie
@hardwenzen said:

The only remake i actually wanted since i didn't play the original. But yet again they put 30 studios on BF, and it'll come out in a mega shit state. Also, who asked for some childish Iron Man? Go play Anthem.

Play the fucking original. It plays and looks great. It's like 20 bucks on Steam, 5 bucks on cd key websites.

You could wait for them to make the graphics slightly shinier, change a couple rooms, then pay 70 dollars for basically nothing. But that would be stupid as hell.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hardwenzen

@Litchie said:
@hardwenzen said:

Play the fucking original. It plays and looks great. It's like 20 bucks on Steam, 5 bucks on cd key websites.

You could wait for them to make the graphics slightly shinier, change a couple rooms, then pay 70 dollars for basically nothing. But that would be stupid as hell.

Graphics are much shinier, and shinier visuals in a atmosphere heavy title ain't nothing. Plus, i was gonna rent it through their EA whatever pass, not waste $70.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 R4gn4r0k

@Litchie said:
@hardwenzen said:

You guys are forgetting one major thing.

That's the gameplay;

The entirety of Dead Space can be finished with a single gun, because the game was designed around that gimmick.

In Dead Space Remake they added a ton of new options for guns, new secondary fire, new features, new abilities... This has the ability to completely change the game as you can now take guns that weren't viable in the first, and no longer have to rely on that one OP gun.

It really isn't the same game, Litchie. Just like Helldivers 1 and Helldivers 2 are vastly different games, eventhough they share the same DNA.

Having said that, both DS 1 as well as the remake are worth playing IMHO. So you can't go wrong with either.

@hardwenzen said:

Graphics are much shinier, and shinier visuals in a atmosphere heavy title ain't nothing. Plus, i was gonna rent it through their EA whatever pass, not waste $70.

Pretty sure you can buy the game for one month of EA Pay.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Litchie

@R4gn4r0k: Didn't know that the remake changed that much. I stand corrected on its samey-ness then.

Still find the price they're asking for a remake insane, so good if you can sub a month to something instead.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 uninspiredcup

Play The Thing instead. Ignore Dead Space.

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/the-thing-bfm

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 R4gn4r0k

@Litchie said:

@R4gn4r0k: Didn't know that the remake changed that much. I stand corrected on its samey-ness then.

Still find the price they're asking for a remake insane, so good if you can sub a month to something instead.

I think I bought the game on launch for €35.

I also today read a news article that EA's sub is going up to £35 a year.

@uninspiredcup said:

Play The Thing instead. Ignore Dead Space.

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/the-thing-bfm

Or play both.

Its not because you had vanilla ice cream this week that you can't have chocolate ice cream the next.

Moistcarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Moistcarrot
Member since 2015 • 1474 Posts

Please stop remaking games that don't need a remake.