Dark Souls greatest game in history?

• 173 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mickyplankon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 mickyplankon
Member since 2005 • 194 Posts
Can anyone provide a convincing reason why it is NOT?
casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

Can anyone provide a convincing reason why it is NOT?mickyplankon

because Demon's Souls is the better game.

also some people might like not this type of game.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

Because it's not KOTOR.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#4 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts
You're the one making the claim, so you actually have to prove it's the best.
Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#5 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts

Because Fallout New Vegas released about a year and a half ago. Yes I realise some people were so amazed by this glorious product brought to us by GODsidian that they forgot it so they can experience it again in all its glory but here's the thing, Fallout new Vegas is SO diverse that you can literally play it a 100 times and have a different set of events each time.

Wish "RPG's" like Mass Effect 3 would learn from that, how many different colors, er, I mean endings were there, 3?

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
Can you provide a convincing reason why it is?
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

It's my favorite game released from last year, but no it's no the best game ever.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

Can you give a convincing reason why it is?

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#9 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

[QUOTE="mickyplankon"]Can anyone provide a convincing reason why it is NOT?casharmy

THIS ^

But it could definitely be argued that Dark Souls is one of the best games of the gen.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lundy86_4

Because Fallout New Vegas released about a year and a half ago. Yes I realise some people were so amazed by this glorious product brought to us by GODsidian that they forgot it so they can experience it again in all its glory but here's the thing, Fallout new Vegas is SO diverse that you can literally play it a 100 times and have a different set of events each time.

Wish "RPG's" like Mass Effect 3 would learn from that, how many different colors, er, I mean endings were there, 3?

Slashless

Nice. You reminded me that I wanted to carry on my New Vegas game :P

DireOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DireOwl
Member since 2007 • 3352 Posts

It was and then Skyrim came out.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15594 Posts

Don't worry it will be the best game in history once it's on PC and the framerate is fixed.

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Slashless

[QUOTE="Slashless"]

lundy86_4

Nice. You reminded me that I wanted to carry on my New Vegas game :P

As long as you side with yes Man I won't destroy you :evil: :P
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 waltefmoney

Slashless

I got the ending where you end up on the desktop.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Can you provide compelling reasons as to why you believe it is?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lundy86_4

As long as you side with yes Man I won't destroy you :evil: :PSlashless

He sucks!

[spoiler] Kidding :P How can you say no to this face? [/spoiler]

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Master_ShakeXXX

[QUOTE="Slashless"]

waltefmoney

10/10 :lol:
PC4lifeman2233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PC4lifeman2233
Member since 2012 • 479 Posts
because in my opinion it is not?
mickyplankon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mickyplankon
Member since 2005 • 194 Posts
Not easily it's hard to articulate what makes it so amazing it has so many nuances and so many hidden depths. The more you play the more immersive and addictive it gets
Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Slashless

[QUOTE="Slashless"]

waltefmoney

Only KINGS can play GODsidian titles Walte. Plebs are of course, not able to. GODsidian has standards Walte. And they are higher than a depressed college boy.
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 waltefmoney

Only KINGS can play GODsidian titles Walte. Plebs are of course, not able to. GODsidian has standards Walte. And they are higher than a depressed college boy.Slashless

:cool:

CooperThief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 CooperThief
Member since 2009 • 648 Posts

Because the 'greatest game in history' is going to be different for different people.

See? I can use teh intellegence.

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#23 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

Dark Souls is a good game, but not even near the greatest of all time.

xOMGITSJASONx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xOMGITSJASONx
Member since 2009 • 2634 Posts

[QUOTE="mickyplankon"]Can anyone provide a convincing reason why it is NOT?casharmy

Totally agree. Souls games aren't for everyone although I believe they are handsdown the best action RPGs this gen.

Supa_F_L_Y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Supa_F_L_Y
Member since 2012 • 29 Posts
Lol DS wasn't even the best game in Q4.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Because there exists games in the same genres that whoops th Souls games into submission from nearly all gens past? And they are not considered hands down best this gen either? Just a thought you know.

The souls games are good games, no disputing that, but they are not way different, nor groundbreaking, they did not define anything, and while they should get the recognition they deserve, even if you split the RPG genre up into sub categories, then the ARPG category has games that rivals them, and dwarfes them.

Seriously Someone care to point me to a single game this gen that was hands down better then any game from previous gens? The second a games basic ideas are recycled, it loses all right to be called the greatest ever of anything. Basicly because Weve seen it before, and thus it loses the impact of whatever games came before it. I would never call anything which is an imitation of anything the best ever.

Thus (To my logic) the best games ever would be the games which made the genres as we know them. Or did them in an way unheard off before. The souls games have done Neither. Rather they have likely been some of the few TRUE ARPGs this gen, and to that they really deserve all the credit they can get. ARPGs where observation and understanding still were up to the player, and not served in a dumbed down envioment like most games have been. But that MP asepct sure were a nice aspect ^^

csftar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 csftar
Member since 2009 • 937 Posts

It's my 2nd favorite game released from last year, but no it's no the best game ever.

Thefatness16

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52451 Posts

Why is Demon's Souls better?

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Is this coming to PC or not?
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Master_ShakeXXX

The souls games are good games, no disputing that, but they are not way different, nor groundbreaking, they did not define anything, and while they should get the recognition they deserve, even if you split the RPG genre up into sub categories, then the ARPG category has games that rivals them, and dwarfes them.

Maddie_Larkin

They are very different. Name another RPG that actually lets you invade other players private game sessions and massacre their ass, or a game that lets players help eachother via leaving messages/bloodstains on the ground. They do plenty of cool and unique stuff to differentiate themselves from other games in the genre.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

Nope. DDR is.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44678 Posts
it's lots of fun, but there's some real annoyances like the horrible design in some areas like Blighttown or New Lando Ruins make the game wig out on slower framerates and such and for some reason they make it the hardest thing to play with friends, they disable party chat on the Xbox 360 probably to make cows feel better (luckily private chat still works), the controls are designed specifically for the PS3 controller which is annoying since they basically mapped the attack/block buttons to the bumpers, and as for bows they tried making first person firing as convoluted as MGS4's controls which is a pain but after all that I rather enjoy it, I like the exploration and the challenge of it, though i could probably do with less grinding as for the topic question though, hell no it isn't close to the greatest game in history, but if you feel that way then congrats I guess, just hope nobody feels that way because of a lack of exposure to other games
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

I guess im going to have to be the bad guy here.

-Gameplay is average, and offers nothing other than combat

-Reliant on cheap tricks and artificial difficulty

-Severe tech issues

-An RPG with no story or characters

-A game like Arkham City offer better combat, stealth, platforming, puzzles, story, characters, great voice acting, better atmosphere, better music, open world, and is much more polished

Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Master_ShakeXXX

freedomfreak

It's not vastly superior, but the little details do add up and make it a better game imo. The most obvious reason being that Demon's Souls is more technically sound. The framerate is a lot more consistent and the online works a hell of a lot better (Demon's Souls uses a dedicated server while Dark uses multiple P2P servers, and they suck).

Demon's Souls had a darker and more foreboding atmosphere as well. From Software did an amazing job using sound and imagry to make the environments very creepy. Dark Souls was missing a little bit of this, but the differences are small. Another reason why I believe Demon's is superior is because it was always fair. Every time you died, it was your fault. Dark Souls is an overall fair game but there are a few moments where the game crosses the line into cheapness.

So like I said, just little things mainly but they do add up. Demon's Souls feels like a more complete game. They're both fantastic games, though.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 freedomfreak

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]

Master_ShakeXXX

It's not vastly superior, but the little details do add up and make it a better game imo. The most obvious reason being that Demon's Souls is more technically sound. The framerate is a lot more consistent and the online works a hell of a lot better (Demon's Souls uses a dedicated server while Dark uses multiple P2P servers, and they suck).

Demon's Souls had a darker and more foreboding atmosphere as well. From Software did an amazing job using sound and imagry to make the environments very creepy. Dark Souls was missing a little bit of this, but the differences are small. Another reason why I believe Demon's is superior is because it was always fair. Every time you died, it was your fault. Dark Souls is an overall fair game but there are a few moments where the game crosses the line into cheapness.

Oh,thanks. I was just wondering.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

[QUOTE="Maddie_Larkin"]

Master_ShakeXXX

They are very different. Name another RPG that actually lets you invade other players private game sessions and massacre their ass, or a game that lets players help eachother via leaving messages/bloodstains on the ground. They do plenty of cool and unique stuff to differentiate themselves from other games in the genre.

Tell, me, ever been to an arcade? Ive seen games from that long back, that let you join in on another persons "story" as a bad guy to whoop them. Ive seen games have similar abilities as far back as several Gens. I have also seen games that were based entirely on communicating with eachother through notes in order to survive (usually MUDs, where the only way to communicate with other people were through letters, giving hints as to the quests (RavenLoft MUD cool as heck back in the day, Demons souls reminded me a whole lot about that infact).

So point me to where the unique part of all this is? there have even been quite a few drop in drop out mp games this gen. So no, neighter is new, they were well executed, but not unheard of, nor unseen before.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

[QUOTE="Master_ShakeXXX"]

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]

freedomfreak

Oh,thanks. I was just wondering.

not to mention the soul tendency and world tendency aspect of the game in Demon's Souls is completely removed from Dark Souls; it was a huge aspect of Demon's Souls. Also the story is more soundly woven into the game, the characters don't seem as forced as in Dark souls and have more personality. The lock on system is perfect in Demon's S and is a mess in Dark S, also Demon's is the more immerse, darker andcreepier experience thru out the game.

just play it! it is truly one of the best games this gen, not taking anything away from Dark S I am very glad From Software made this game and it is a great game...but Demon's Souls is a legendary game.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
It is not the greatest because I have not played it yet.
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Because the only good thing about the game is the combat system? For something to be considered 'the greatest game in history' it needs to have the complete package.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 freedomfreak

not to mention the soul tendency and world tendency aspect of the game in Demon's Souls is completely removed from Dark Souls; it was a huge aspect of Demon's Souls. Also the story is more soundly woven into the game, the characters don't seem as forced as in Dark souls and have more personality. The lock on system is perfect in Demon's S and is a mess in Dark S, also Demon's is the more immerse, darker andcreepier experience thru out the game.

just play it! it is truly one of the best games this gen, not taking anything away from Dark S I am very glad From Software made this game and it is a great game...but Demon's Souls is a legendary game.

casharmy

Good,good. I'm getting a ps3 next month.I'll check it out.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts
Because it's not Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Because it's not Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.Spartan070
Demon's Souls >>> SOTN
Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

This. Demon's Souls is way better.

Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
It's not fun. So, no.
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

It was and then Skyrim came out.

DireOwl
Dude The Witcher 2 makes Skyrim look last gen.
Cloud567kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Cloud567kar
Member since 2007 • 2656 Posts

Because there are better games lol.

fun-da-mental

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 fun-da-mental
Member since 2002 • 621 Posts

Not sure about history but Dark Souls outclasses all the games this gen (may be except demon souls).

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

because Demon's Souls is the better game

/thread

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]

Master_ShakeXXX

So like I said, just little things mainly but they do add up. Demon's Souls feels like a more complete game. They're both fantastic games, though.

All of these points are true and just to elaborate a little further:

Demon Souls runs at a higher resolution than Dark Souls and overall seems a little crisper. Neither game is story driven, but at least Demon Souls actually has one. In fact I really liked the plot for Demon Souls. Where as Dark Souls [spoiler] doesn't even have an ending [/spoiler] .

Dark Souls is also wirdly imbalaned. Where some classes breeze through the game and others are useless. Leveling certian atributes has almost no effect and you can blow through 50-60 hours of grinding before you realize this.

And mostly as stated before Dark souls is Signinficantly "cheaper" then Deamon Souls. Way to many instances where the only way through will depend on an exploit or sheer luck.

It just seems like Dark Souls was more rushed and less polished. Most people, not all, but most who have played through both games in their entirety will tell you they preferred Deamon Souls.