Dark Souls gets 9.0 from IGN

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

User Lists: 0

#1 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

Here you go.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1197544p1.html

Promised_Trini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Promised_Trini
Member since 2008 • 3651 Posts

Wait wait what!...This game is coming out next month!..Where have I been!

Nice score also.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

And Skyrim will get a 10/10, even though it should get far below Dark Souls

I have stopped trusting reviews for almost a decade now, thye dont review the games, just the hype

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ironcreed

I have stopped trusting reviews for almost a decade now, thye dont review the games, just the hype

loosingENDS

9.0 is a great score, man.:|

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

Great score, well deserved, I cannot wait to pick up this game

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15594 Posts

9gn

Pretty much all i came to say.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Making your way through Dark Souls' death-trap world with half a health bar is hard enough, but the Curse effect stacks – so if you get caught again, you'll be down to a quarter of a health bar. A third time, you'll be down to an eighth. I know one Dark Souls player who lost something like 10 hours trying to make it to a healer when everything in the world could kill him with one hit. There's punishing, and then there's unfair.

Alritey, I may be skipping this game, I don't need this headache.

bczigothigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bczigothigh
Member since 2008 • 146 Posts

Nice review and :oat the enemies that can curse you an make you lose half your health bar and it stacks, and the enemy that can completely destroy your gear and you can't repair it, cant wait till the 4th

2-10-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 2-10-08
Member since 2008 • 2775 Posts

I eagerly anticipate this game. It's going to be a huge change from the handholding seen in pretty much every current generation game.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts

9gn

Pretty much all i came to say.

Vaasman
you didn't play DS, isn't it?
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#11 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Making your way through Dark Souls' death-trap world with half a health bar is hard enough, but the Curse effect stacks – so if you get caught again, you'll be down to a quarter of a health bar. A third time, you'll be down to an eighth. I know one Dark Souls player who lost something like 10 hours trying to make it to a healer when everything in the world could kill him with one hit. There's punishing, and then there's unfair.

GD1551

Hmmmm, I might be skipping this headache too.

Another thing is the ps3 "exclusive" isn't a exclusive anymore. wont be supporting this game.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#12 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

It seems like there is a certain level of unfairness here. I was considering getting this game but damn some of that stuff sounds awful.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

ironcreed

For someone who has DARK SOULS in there sig that's very optimistic. I would have expected a 9.5
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

loosingENDS

why do we need reviews if you already know what games that you haven't even played deserve?

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ironcreed

Her closing comments are telling as to why it did not receive higher than a 9.0. We are not dealing with a game for everyone here and I think she brings that across rather nicely, to be honest.

"The reviewer's job is difficult when it comes to a game like Dark Souls. I simply can't unreservedly recommend that you buy it. It's not a game that you play to relax. It doesn't care in the slightest about whether you're enjoying yourself, and it doesn't give a fig for your notions of entertainment or your mental well-being. If you just play games for fun, this isn't for you, and no amount of insistence on my part is going to change that. But if you're interested in the limits of the videogame form – to see just how focused, how pure and how uncompromising in its vision a game can be – Dark Souls is unmissable. If you take the time get into Dark Souls' mindset, to begin to understand the twisted way in which it operates and taste the rewards behind its cruellest challenges, this is one of the most thrilling, most fascinating and most completely absorbing experiences in gaming."

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

GD1551

this is how games use to be, real videogames, challenges that you just can't put down until you conquer. This is no game where you have check points to save you, wear you can go buy DLC to make you stronger, this is no game for boys but for men. This is a game where you know even before put it in your console that your going to die and that you can't beat this in 6-8 hours on your first playthrough, this is dark souls, my friend. This is where the strong are separated from the weak, sorry to have to cross your name out of the book even before the game has even came out but its to be expected. there will be more of your kind but then again you guys are probably smart for not wanting this, because this game will drive even the most sane person up the wall. Dark Souls is the game where you go to die

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GD1551

Nice review and :oat the enemies that can curse you an make you lose half your health bar and it stacks, and the enemy that can completely destroy your gear and you can't repair it, cant wait till the 4th

bczigothigh

Really? Well then I'm 100% sure I'm skipping this game.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

ristactionjakso

Another thing is the ps3 "exclusive" isn't a exclusive anymore. wont be supporting this game.

can you expand a bit on this? why?

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 loosingENDS

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

ironcreed

Indeed, it is just that DS is a 10/10 game, maybe the only real 10/10 game this generation

Of course gaming has gone casual, so maybe i am expecting too much

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

[QUOTE="ironcreed"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

loosingENDS

Indeed, it is just that DS is a 10/10 game, maybe the only real 10/10 game this generation

Have you played it?
Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts
good score, but I always take IGN reviews with a gain of salt. they're never consistent. regardless, I'm expecting most of the other reviewers to give a similar score..
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts

loosingENDS

Huh???

Anyway, Nice, 50-60 hours sounds very reasonable and exactly what i expect for this sort of games, also i really like the atmosphere, but i'm not sure about some aspects like the permanent curse, like the review says, there is a line between challenge and cheapness, can't wait to play it and one thing is for sure i will either love it or hate it.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8283 Posts
So it's not as good as Demon's Souls :P? Nice score none the less.
AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts
Very good score....can't wait to play this.Do we know if it is better on the PS3 or XBOX360..??
Avatar image for phantomblade220
phantomblade220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 phantomblade220
Member since 2010 • 958 Posts

I read and watched the review and it seemed like the reviewer really liked it. This is def not for me. I want to have fun when playing games, I don't mind a challenge, just not an excessive one.

Good luck to everyone who will be buying Dark Souls.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

Chris_Williams

this is how games use to be, real videogames, challenges that you just can't put down until you conquer. This is no game where you have check points to save you, wear you can go buy DLC to make you stronger, this is no game for boys but for men. This is a game where you know even before put it in your console that your going to die and that you can't beat this in 6-8 hours on your first playthrough, this is dark souls, my friend. This is where the strong are separated from the weak, sorry to have to cross your name out of the book even before the game has even came out but its to be expected. there will be more of your kind but then again you guys are probably smart for not wanting this, because this game will drive even the most sane person up the wall.

Sorry, but no, just no. I don't see what makes this a real video game just because it's being cheap. It's like those old snes/arcade games that were made to take the most $$$ from you. All of those were cheap, not hard. Again I have no issue with games being hard, but there's nothing hard about what I quoted, that's just cheap and the reviewer pointed that out as well. They went so gun-ho into being TEH HARD that they ended up crossing the line in a couple areas, and I honestly hope the game loses points for that, even Kevin-V from this website was having issues with that stupid curse to the point he asked people how to get rid of it on twitter. If there's really a monster that destroys all your gear and you can't repair it that's more points to dock IMO.

Those things aren't hard, they are cheap.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ironcreed

[QUOTE="ironcreed"]

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

parkurtommo

For someone who has DARK SOULS in there sig that's very optimistic. I would have expected a 9.5

I think it will be at least a 9.5 for me. However, I understand why she did not give it higher. As original and fantastic as it is, it is not a game that can be recommended to everyone and the reviewer would not be doing her job if she failed to recognize that. Her closing comments say it all as to why it did not receive higher than a 9.0, and I can both respect and understand that. For me, it will be everything I wanted and more.

Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#28 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts

loosingENDS
They gave it a 9....
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
Nice score, the game looks impressive. I would read the review, but IGN usually bores me.
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"][QUOTE="GD1551"]

GD1551

this is how games use to be, real videogames, challenges that you just can't put down until you conquer. This is no game where you have check points to save you, wear you can go buy DLC to make you stronger, this is no game for boys but for men. This is a game where you know even before put it in your console that your going to die and that you can't beat this in 6-8 hours on your first playthrough, this is dark souls, my friend. This is where the strong are separated from the weak, sorry to have to cross your name out of the book even before the game has even came out but its to be expected. there will be more of your kind but then again you guys are probably smart for not wanting this, because this game will drive even the most sane person up the wall.

Sorry, but no, just no. I don't see what makes this a real video game just because it's being cheap. It's like those old snes/arcade games that were made to take the most $$$ from you. All of those were cheap, not hard. Again I have no issue with games being hard, but there's nothing hard about what I quoted, that's just cheap and the reviewer pointed that out as well. They went so gun-ho into being TEH HARD that they ended up crossing the line in a couple areas, and I honestly hope the game loses points for that, even Kevin-V from this website was having issues with that stupid curse to the point he asked people how to get rid of it on twitter. If there's really a monster that destroys all your gear and you can't repair it that's more points to dock IMO.

Those things aren't hard, they are cheap.

While i don't expect Kevin V to take out points for this, i definitely see your point and i'm totally agree with it, one thing is to face a huge boss that you need to learn from your mistakes and then achieve victory after many hard battles and one very different thing is to say to the player "screw you"

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ristactionjakso

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

CaseyWegner

I just don't like when exclusives arent exclusives anymore. the ps3 has some of the best exclusives ever, which puts it a notch above the rest in my opinion. for example if uncharted became a multiplatform game, id never buy it again because its like the developers sold out. Its just my opinion.

RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RavenLoud
Member since 2009 • 2874 Posts

8.5 on GS confirmed?

Or maybe a pause button is required for some people to stop crying.

WarTornRuston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 WarTornRuston
Member since 2011 • 2712 Posts

Great score, well deserved, I cannot wait to pick up this game

_Matt_
If you never played it then how do you know it is well deserved?
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]Hmmmm, I might be skipping this headache too.

ristactionjakso

I just don't like when exclusives arent exclusives anymore. the ps3 has some of the best exclusives ever, which puts it a notch above the rest in my opinion. for example if uncharted became a multiplatform game, id never buy it again because its like the developers sold out. Its just my opinion.

you don't want more people to have the opportunity to play a good game?

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

*reads ironcreed's quote*--good stuff.

I'll have to read it some time later today.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 loosingENDS

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

[QUOTE="ironcreed"]

Lto_thaG

Have you played it?

I have played Demons Souls and this one is bigger and more challenging, so far better

I see the reviewer point that may not be for everyone, but the score should be about those that want the challenge, otherwise he should have given it a 1/10 since the 9/10 wont turn away casuals as the reviewer intented

In short, why lower the score because he cant recommend the game to everyone ? Are scores now linked to how much buyers may like the game and not the game quality itself ?

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

Her closing comments are telling as to why it did not receive higher than a 9.0. We are not dealing with a game for everyone here and I think she brings that across rather nicely, to be honest.

"The reviewer's job is difficult when it comes to a game like Dark Souls. I simply can't unreservedly recommend that you buy it. It's not a game that you play to relax. It doesn't care in the slightest about whether you're enjoying yourself, and it doesn't give a fig for your notions of entertainment or your mental well-being. If you just play games for fun, this isn't for you, and no amount of insistence on my part is going to change that. But if you're interested in the limits of the videogame form – to see just how focused, how pure and how uncompromising in its vision a game can be – Dark Souls is unmissable. If you take the time get into Dark Souls' mindset, to begin to understand the twisted way in which it operates and taste the rewards behind its cruellest challenges, this is one of the most thrilling, most fascinating and most completely absorbing experiences in gaming."

ironcreed

Yeah, seems like she's basically saying this is a love or hate kind of game. She can't really justify giving it a 9.5 or 10, because those are for games that's basically saying 'hey, no matter who you are, don't miss this game.' A game like Dark Souls, they just don't want to say that about, because they know a LOT of people will hate it. But for the people that LIKE this sort of game, she's saying "This is one of the greatest games ever."

I can dig it. Definitely getting it, at some point, but then I knew that already.

Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts
I don't get the hype behind this game. Demon's Souls was alright. I dunno. Game was more frustrating than fun.
ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ironcreed

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

ristactionjakso

So, even if a game ends up being better than it's predecessor in every way, you still will refuse to play it just because others on another system will lget to enjoy it as well? Not sure I can quite understand this line of thinking, but to each their own.

bczigothigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bczigothigh
Member since 2008 • 146 Posts

[QUOTE="bczigothigh"]

GD1551

"One of the mid-game bosses, meanwhile, emits corrosive bile that swiftly degrades your equipment if you get stuck in its flow, potentially leaving you standing naked in front of a hideous dragon with a broken sword. There's no way to repair weapons and armor once they've been completely destroyed, so it's possible to lose all your best gear in this battle."

yeah sounds crazy

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

[QUOTE="loosingENDS"]

ironcreed

9gn.
loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 loosingENDS

[QUOTE="ironcreed"]

ianuilliam

Yeah, seems like she's basically saying this is a love or hate kind of game. She can't really justify giving it a 9.5 or 10, because those are for games that's basically saying 'hey, no matter who you are, don't miss this game.' A game like Dark Souls, they just don't want to say that about, because they know a LOT of people will hate it. But for the people that LIKE this sort of game, she's saying "This is one of the greatest games ever."

I can dig it. Definitely getting it, at some point, but then I knew that already.

They should have given two scores then, subtracting points because some may not be up to the challenge is stupid imo

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ironcreed

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

ristactionjakso

So, even if a game ends up being better than it's predecessor in every way, you still will refuse to play it just because it is no longer exclusive and others on another system will get to enjoy it as well? Not sure I can quite understand this line of thinking, but to each their own.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ristactionjakso

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

CaseyWegner

Thats not the point im trying to make, its like the exclusive game developers sold out. and again its just my opinion so nothing to get worked up over. The ps3 should have gotten a xbox exclusive in exchange for demons souls. maybe fable or something.

RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 RavenLoud
Member since 2009 • 2874 Posts

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="bczigothigh"]

bczigothigh

"One of the mid-game bosses, meanwhile, emits corrosive bile that swiftly degrades your equipment if you get stuck in its flow, potentially leaving you standing naked in front of a hideous dragon with a broken sword. There's no way to repair weapons and armor once they've been completely destroyed, so it's possible to lose all your best gear in this battle."

yeah sounds crazy

It's just a boss, you can take off your gear for it just like when people online troll you with a scraping spear in Demon's Souls.
GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]I just don't like when exclusives arent exclusives anymore. the ps3 has some of the best exclusives ever, which puts it a notch above the rest in my opinion. for example if uncharted became a multiplatform game, id never buy it again because its like the developers sold out. Its just my opinion.

ristactionjakso

Thats not the point im trying to make, its like the exclusive game developers sold out. and again its just my opinion so nothing to get worked up over. The ps3 should have gotten a xbox exclusive in exchange for demons souls. maybe fable or something.

Eh, just so you know PS3 and Xbox 360 aren't the ones that develop all the games on those platforms.
Avatar image for phantomblade220
phantomblade220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 phantomblade220
Member since 2010 • 958 Posts

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]I just don't like when exclusives arent exclusives anymore. the ps3 has some of the best exclusives ever, which puts it a notch above the rest in my opinion. for example if uncharted became a multiplatform game, id never buy it again because its like the developers sold out. Its just my opinion.

ristactionjakso

That is just plain stupid. Really really stupid.

Might as well take Gears instead of Fable. I think it would "even" things up.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ironcreed

[QUOTE="ianuilliam"]

[QUOTE="ironcreed"]

loosingENDS

They should have given two scores then, subtracting points because some may not be up to the challenge is stupid imo

LOL, come on, man. They can't give a separate 'score for the hardcore' on the side. She explains why so many will love this game and why it may not be for others. She also does so very nicely, I might add. It is a fair and still great score. Read the review, she praises the hell out of it. Those of us who this game was made for are getting everything we could have possibly wanted out of it... and then some.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

CaseyWegner

This is precisely what I was thinking, passing on a great (painful) game because it's on 2 systems is ridiculous and pointless. The quality is not a factor here in this game, it's the punishment that is the factor. Drop points on its score or skip buying it because of how hard it is going to be not because more people now have access to the punishment.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
Thats not the point im trying to make, its like the exclusive game developers sold out. and again its just my opinion so nothing to get worked up over. The ps3 should have gotten a xbox exclusive in exchange for demons souls. maybe fable or something.ristactionjakso
From Software isn't nor has been an exclusive developer. A lot of games from them were released on the original Xbox and on the 360.