CVG Interviews Hironobu Sakaguchi

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-cnc-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 -cnc-
Member since 2007 • 1468 Posts

Interview: Topping Final Fantasy

What changes - if at all - have been made to Blue Dragon for the western audience?

Sakaguchi: There are no changes to the game - the fundamental gameplay is the same. We've tried to stay faithful the original Japanese version and what I envisioned for the game.

The only things that we have changed are the two songs in the game - we've localised the lyrics and put the English versions in. The voiceover talent has also changed but we've tried to stay faithful to the character quality of the Japanese voice talent. So there's not a lot that you'll see that's distinctively different from the Japanese game.

How did Blue Dragon do in Japan from your point of view?

Sakaguchi: I believe that despite the install base in Japan prior to Blue Dragon being released - which wasn't great - I believe that Blue Dragon has become the key console sale-driver for Xbox 360.

It's attaching over 45 percent and that's really amazing, it's never been done like this before. I believe that it can push the console and that Lost Odyssey will help as well. Maybe Halo 3 will push the install base in Japan too.

Do you think Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are going to impact the 360's performance in Japan?

Sakaguchi: Sure. Look at Blue Dragon - pretty much half of the Xbox 360 gamers in Japan have Blue Dragon in their hands because it's an RPG nation and we've got a great game that really has an appeal to RPG gamers not only in Japan but around the world. The impact is great in Japan and hopefully it's going to be even greater across the world.

The same thing with Lost Odyssey; it's has a massive appeal to experience-seekers who love great RPGs with a great storyline. Our expectations are big.

You recently expanded the Japanese game with new difficulty levels. What are your future plans for download content?

Sakaguchi: You know very well what's going on! So Japan has a set of three downloadable contents planned for post-launch and that's also what we'll be doing in North America and Europe. We'll be rolling out downloadable content over the course of four to five months post-release.

The last of which is a about multiple, randomised patterns in the game which means that each time you enter a new dungeon you actually see a different pattern, a different set of characters, enemies and environment.

So it's going to be really massive content in addition to what we already have. We've got great content coming online.

Seeing as you appear to already have English voices in the game, are you aiming for more of a simultaneous worldwide release for Lost Odyssey?

Sakaguchi: Right now the voice recording session is taking place in English - lip-sync is actually in harmony with that. So the Japanese dub version is actually going to follow the English lip-syncing.

So Japanese will actually see kind of like Hollywood movies that they see in Japan where characters actually speak English and they see the dubbed versions with the subtitles.

With respect to the release plans, the current plan is for this game to be released simultaneously including Europe - so great news for you guys! We're shooting for the holiday this year - It's really going to be a global title.

A lot of Japanese RPG developers are switching to real-time combat systems where as you're still sticking to the turn-based method. What's the reason for that?

Sakaguchi: I feel that the turn-based and real-time genres can co-exist, in fact one of the games that I'm currently working on is an action RPG called, Cry On. I think that these genres can exist and play multiple roles.

As for Blue Dragon of course the game is turn-based, but there are a lot of strategic elements in the game such as the fact that you can actually charge up your attacks and put in a different combat order - so there are strategic implications right there.

In the case of Lost Odyssey there are new revolutionary real-time elements that are going to be incorporated into the battle sequences. The fact that it's turn-based doesn't mean that it's backwards but there's a series of evolutions that are taking place.

What do you think the biggest differences are between Japanese RPGs and Western RPGs?

Sakaguchi: I'm not too familiar with Western RPGs! I'm a big fan of Gears of War and also EverQuest the online game, so Final Fantasy XI is an online game.

I really want to stick to what I want to create and what I envision, not depending on the trends that have been happening in the industry. I love trying to create a game that has he warming effect after you finish it. I want to kind of make the gamers warm-hearted, that's what I'm trying to create.

Gears of War is great but after you finish playing there's a great deal of exhilaration, but there's no warm-heartedness there. So that's what I'm trying to create.

Do you think Blue Dragon could become as popular as Final Fantasy?

Sakaguchi: I don't know. I see a gradualism in the success that the Final Fantasy series has attained. The very first instalment sold 350,000 units and then has built on as the series of instalments has reach the marketplace.

Blue Dragon has sold through more than 200,000 units in Japan and again will continue to build momentum as we get into things like BD2 and BD3 - and that's what we're hoping; to really build on the franchise. Maybe it'll take ten years (laughs)

Are you in the planning stages of a sequel or is it just in your head at the moment?

Sakaguchi: Tonight I will talk with Shane [Kim] (laughs)

Hater3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Hater3000
Member since 2007 • 2310 Posts
Why did he mention Gears of war?.
amcallister902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 amcallister902
Member since 2006 • 1339 Posts
before reading, is this all about blue dragon?
onewiththegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 onewiththegame
Member since 2004 • 4415 Posts

Why did he mention Gears of war?.Hater3000

cuz he likes it? but isn't he from japan?

and he likes Gears that crazy

UndyingVayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 UndyingVayne
Member since 2007 • 140 Posts

Why did he mention Gears of war?.Hater3000

I don't know, maybe he was just telling the interviewer that was the only american shooter game thats he's ever played and liked, he also said it in the gamespot interview and said that he's not into FPS's though.  

DaysAirlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaysAirlines
Member since 2006 • 9537 Posts
Shouldn't Sakaguchi spend less time in interviews and spend more time working on games that don't sell?
Paktahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Paktahn
Member since 2002 • 2093 Posts

[QUOTE="Hater3000"]Why did he mention Gears of war?.onewiththegame

The entire MGS team likes the game.
elementz28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 elementz28
Member since 2007 • 1829 Posts
[QUOTE="onewiththegame"]

[QUOTE="Hater3000"]Why did he mention Gears of war?.Paktahn

kojima played it..but it wasnt the whole mgs team..lol..and Sakaguchi doesnt sound to confident about blue dragon..

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
Good interview. Sakaguchi has a really cool philosophy on games. I especially like the randomized dungeons in Blue Dragon, and how you can restart the game with your stats intact. And the way he hinted at some special things in the turn-based battles in Lost Odyssey got me excited. And then there's Cry On! Sakaguchi rocks!
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
Shouldn't Sakaguchi spend less time in interviews and spend more time working on games that don't sell?DaysAirlines
Explain to me how selling 150,000 copies of a game to an install base of 320K or so is "not selling"?
UndyingVayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 UndyingVayne

[QUOTE="Hater3000"]Why did he mention Gears of war?.onewiththegame

No more crazy than final fantasy selling more in america, which is a JRPG. 

magus-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 magus-21
Member since 2006 • 2868 Posts
[QUOTE="Paktahn"][QUOTE="onewiththegame"]

[QUOTE="Hater3000"]Why did he mention Gears of war?.elementz28

kojima played it..but it wasnt the whole mgs team..lol..and Sakaguchi doesnt sound to confident about blue dragon..

He's a realist about Blue Dragon. It was a phenomenal success, but its main competitor has twenty years, thirteen installments, and three spin-offs on it. And Japan loves Gears of War, apparently. It wasn't just the highest selling game for the 360 when it was released, but also the highest selling next-gen game over the holidays after WiiSports and Blue Dragon.
billing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 billing
Member since 2004 • 642 Posts
[QUOTE="onewiththegame"]

[QUOTE="Hater3000"]Why did he mention Gears of war?.UndyingVayne

Everything sells more on the 360,

Are you just too dumb to realize this?

Hater3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Hater3000
Member since 2007 • 2310 Posts
[QUOTE="elementz28"][QUOTE="Paktahn"][QUOTE="onewiththegame"]

[QUOTE="Hater3000"]Why did he mention Gears of war?.magus-21

He's a realist about Blue Dragon. It was a phenomenal success, but its main competitor has twenty years, thirteen installments, and three spin-offs on it. And Japan loves Gears of War, apparently. It wasn't just the highest selling game for the 360 when it was released, but also the highest selling next-gen game over the holidays after WiiSports and Blue Dragon.

No what i meant was why did he mention Gears of war?,i thought they were talking about the difference between American and Japannese RPGs.
UndyingVayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 UndyingVayne
[QUOTE="UndyingVayne"][QUOTE="onewiththegame"]

[QUOTE="Hater3000"]Why did he mention Gears of war?.billing

Everything sells more on the 360,

Are you just too dumb to realize this?

WTF has that got to do with what I just said... I didn't say games didn't sell well in america on the 360... 

alfy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 alfy13
Member since 2004 • 3600 Posts

Interview: Topping Final Fantasy

Gears of War is great but after you finish playing there's a great deal of exhilaration, but there's no warm-heartedness there. So that's what I'm trying to create.

Sakaguchi: Tonight I will talk with Shane [Kim] (laughs)-cnc-

what does he mean by that? i love gears of war, but i am bored with it. is that what he trying to say about Gears ?

-cnc-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -cnc-
[QUOTE="elementz28"][QUOTE="Paktahn"][QUOTE="onewiththegame"]

[QUOTE="Hater3000"]Why did he mention Gears of war?.magus-21

Famitsu Xbox360 Sales Data

Monthly Console Sales as of 2007.02.11
24,337 / 344,056

Monthly Game Sales as of 2007.02.11
01 Gears of War - 48,716 / NEW
02 Idol Master - 30,791 / NEW
03 Blue Dragon - 11,592 / 170,083
04 Godfather - 8,843 / NEW
05 Vampire Rain - 5,623 / NEW
06 Dead Rising - 4,503 / 59,134
07 Lost Planet - 4,039 / 59,411
08 Atsumare! Pinata - 3,431 / 4,930
09 Chikyuu Boueigun - 2,793 / 25,389
10 WWE2007 Smackdown vs Raw - 2,684 / NEW

Avatar image for deactivated-57d773aa56272
deactivated-57d773aa56272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 deactivated-57d773aa56272
Member since 2006 • 2292 Posts

I'm not sure how I feel about all of this.  I love Dragon Ball Z and Akira Toriyama and I love Final Fantasy and Sakaguchi's Mistwalker ideas but I'm not sure how Blue Dragon will pan out.  I'm not sure if it should be on my wish list so to speak considering I'm so far back on my Final Fantasy but from what I've seen it looks great if you move faster than a slug like me in JRPG.  Those CG FMVs must be really cool though and I heard about the anime coming out.  Wish I could get a look at that BD anime first.  Looking forward to the reaction in the states and it will probably be well received by anyone who knows anything about games that plays through it.

Wow Blue Dragon almost 50% attach rate in Japan.

Respect to Sakaguchi's compliments to EverQuest but I don't get the Gears business, I wasn't too fond of Unreal.

rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rybe1025
Member since 2004 • 6362 Posts
Blue dragon looks to be a great game. Just wish would hurry and get here. Also anyone know if Eternal Sonata is out already there? Well called trusty bell I think for them
-cnc-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -cnc-

Blue dragon looks to be a great game. Just wish would hurry and get here. Also anyone know if Eternal Sonata is out already there? Well called trusty bell I think for themrybe1025

Trusty Bell - June 14, 2007 (JP)