Crysis 2 Digital Foundry Comparison

This topic is locked from further discussion.

1Stark1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 1Stark1
Member since 2010 • 688 Posts

Seems that IGN was full of **** and exaggerated the differences. The PS3 version actually looks better in some areas as it has better textures. The 360 version has higher res. However they say "The unavoidable conclusion we came to is that when frame-rate does crash in those affected areas, it's actually Crysis 2 on PS3 that holds up better." It seems that you can't go wrong with either version. If you look at some of the photos, you'll see that its actually the 360 version thats missing some lighting effects, completely opposite of what IGN claimed. Its also noteworthy that the PS3 version has better 3d than the 360 version. But again, you can't go wrong with either version. PS3 does things better, 360 does things better. This proves though that IGN has no credibility by knocking a whole point off in graphics and saying things llke "the 360 version of Crysis 2 is best looking game on consoles" when the difference is minimal meaning that PS3 didn't have to be alienated from that statement. ( I personally think there are better looking games on consoles, but thats just my opinion) Both versions look the same having pros and cons.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-crysis2-face-off

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

already a thread on this.

flexin007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 flexin007
Member since 2008 • 739 Posts

So what's up with the multi-player demo on PS3?

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

flexin007

Old build?

EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts
From this article it seems to me Crytek delivered on their promise of both versions being essentially the same and that only nitpickers would notice on way or the other. Sounds like IGN pretty much lied.
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

flexin007
Multi player graphics =/= single player graphics, crazy right, it's only been that way for like 4 years...
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

That sort of puts the hype thread into perspective does'nt it. Lot of system warriors who are going to have to eat crow now.

you just could'nt wait could you? ;)

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts
Ooh so now we cant talk about the gameplay(which from what I've heard is fantastic) =]. Can't wait to get it.
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts
360 is the better version hands downMkavanaugh77
What if you're playing in 3D?
Nolakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nolakk
Member since 2005 • 321 Posts
I just don't understand why IGN did that. Anyone felt it was almost on purpose? I don't know but the way he wrote it, almost felt like the reviewer said it with "hate" or he was told to say it. Weird, i never had seen a reviewer that is supposed to be unbiased say such thing, notice how all other reviews don't mention it. Well now that i know they look the same on PS3 and 360 i can finally choose which i'll buy.
The__Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The__Havoc
Member since 2009 • 2350 Posts

"In short, then, Xbox 360 benefits from a 25 per cent resolution boost over the PlayStation 3 version of the game. That's a pretty stark statistic, and while it is true that the action generally looks clearer and not quite so blurred on the Xbox 360, it's also the case that when the game is in full flow, the amount of post-processing effects in play, including camera and object-based motion blur, tends to equalise the visuals somewhat. Quite why there is a resolution difference at all is intriguing."

"there is an overall feeling that the image on Xbox 360 is cleaner and crisper."

"By and large, the look of the game is entirely consistent between both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions. However, there do appear to be some isolated instances where lighting appears bugged or flawed in the PS3 version, as the brace of shots above demonstrates."

The increased performance and resolution indicates that the Xbox 360 is the preferred platform for Crysis 2,

Do people even read their own links?

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 waltefmoney

So should i get the 360 or PS3 version ?TheGuardian03

Read the article.

bryn8150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bryn8150
Member since 2004 • 795 Posts

wow.cows just arent going to let this go. CRYSIS 2 looks better on 360. IGN's word is law around here. just let it go cows.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
ign is always full of crap. Cant spell ignorace without IGN.
bryn8150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bryn8150
Member since 2004 • 795 Posts

"In short, then, Xbox 360 benefits from a 25 per cent resolution boost over the PlayStation 3 version of the game. That's a pretty stark statistic, and while it is true that the action generally looks clearer and not quite so blurred on the Xbox 360, it's also the case that when the game is in full flow, the amount of post-processing effects in play, including camera and object-based motion blur, tends to equalise the visuals somewhat. Quite why there is a resolution difference at all is intriguing."

"there is an overall feeling that the image on Xbox 360 is cleaner and crisper."

"By and large, the look of the game is entirely consistent between both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions. However, there do appear to be some isolated instances where lighting appears bugged or flawed in the PS3 version, as the brace of shots above demonstrates."

The increased performance and resolution indicates that the Xbox 360 is the preferred platform for Crysis 2,

The__Havoc

exactly, the cows are in MAD damge control this morning. after 2 years of 360 is maxed out remarks and '' 360 will never have a game on par with uncharted 2 or killzone'' the CRYTEK engine comes and owns them. this is too funny.....

Nolakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nolakk
[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

[QUOTE="TheGuardian03"]So should i get the 360 or PS3 version ?TheGuardian03

Read the article.

I'm too lazy just tell me which version is better :P.

Its a tie, so choose which console you play online more or something.
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 waltefmoney

wow.cows just arent going to let this go. CRYSIS 2 looks better on 360. IGN's word is law around here. just let it go cows.

bryn8150

No it's not. But Digital Foundry did say this:

"On balance, 360 has the edge in terms of visuals and general performance, but PS3 more than holds its own, bettering the Microsoft platform in some areas."

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 waltefmoney

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

[QUOTE="TheGuardian03"]So should i get the 360 or PS3 version ?TheGuardian03

Read the article.

I'm too lazy just tell me which version is better :P.

According to digital foundry, 360.

-Tretiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -Tretiak
Member since 2007 • 2416 Posts

ign is always full of crap. Cant spell ignorace without IGN.dakan45

"On balance, 360 has the edge in terms of visuals and general performance..."

Durr hurr de dur

BigBoss154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BigBoss154
Member since 2009 • 2956 Posts

The__Havoc

Nobody in this thread even said anything about one being superior to one another. The argument is IGN and a load of other websites over exaggerating the differneces between the 2, even though both have points better than the other.

DreamCryotank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DreamCryotank
Member since 2011 • 1829 Posts

Ouch, the 360 version can go as low as 16FPS during firefights. :? That's pretty bad.

TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts
Minute differences on just another fps, but even more important...can't spell ignorant without IGN.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Animal-Mother

[QUOTE="The__Havoc"]

bryn8150

exactly, the cows are in MAD damge control this morning. after 2 years of 360 is maxed out remarks and '' 360 will never have a game on par with uncharted 2 or killzone'' the CRYTEK engine comes and owns them. this is too funny.....

It's funny how fun selective reading can be

In these situations, it seems that it is the Xbox 360 version that has the most difficulties, though there's no mistaking that both platforms seem to lag badly in much the same areas. Interestingly, the really poor-performing sections do seem isolated to specific areas in the campaign, and from the hive infiltration level onwards things seemed to improve, but it's quite difficult to believe that those areas of the game got through QA without someone, somewhere raising the red flag.

The key to progression through these troublesome areas is to employ stealth rather than a balls-out frontal assault, but in a game that places so much weight on presenting different tactical strategies for potential flashpoints, it's disappointing that it's technical issues that are effectively narrowing down the available options. In conclusion, it's fair to say that Crytek has done enough to prove that Crysis can run on consoles - either of them in fact - and certainly the issues the game has in terms of bizarre glitches, performance drops, geometry pop-in and such-like are hardly exclusive to one platform. On balance, 360 has the edge in terms of visuals and general performance, but PS3 more than holds its own, bettering the Microsoft platform in some areas.

Besides that The green is what i've been saying all along, The blue is what I like doing, just throwing on armor and just ripping shi up.

Nolakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Nolakk

Ouch, the 360 version can go as low as 16FPS during firefights. :? That's pretty bad.

DreamCryotank
Yet there are people here who will ignore that and say 360 is much better. Face it people, both have pros and cons.
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 waltefmoney

[QUOTE="DreamCryotank"]

Nolakk

Yet there are people here who will ignore that and say 360 is much better. Face it people, both have pros and cons.

How do you know the PS3 version doesn't drop lower? Did you just ignore the article? It states the 360 is the more stable version.

The__Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 The__Havoc

In these situations, it seems that it is the Xbox 360 version that has the most difficulties, though there's no mistaking that both platforms seem to lag badly in much the same areas. Interestingly, the really poor-performing sections do seem isolated to specific areas in the campaign, and from the hive infiltration level onwards things seemed to improve, but it's quite difficult to believe that those areas of the game got through QA without someone, somewhere raising the red flag.

The key to progression through these troublesome areas is to employ stealth rather than a balls-out frontal assault, but in a game that places so much weight on presenting different tactical strategies for potential flashpoints, it's disappointing that it's technical issues that are effectively narrowing down the available options. In conclusion, it's fair to say that Crytek has done enough to prove that Crysis can run on consoles - either of them in fact - and certainly the issues the game has in terms of bizarre glitches, performance drops, geometry pop-in and such-like are hardly exclusive to one platform. On balance, 360 has the edge in terms of visuals and general performance, but PS3 more than holds its own, bettering the Microsoft platform in some areas.

Besides that The green is what i've been saying all along, The blue is what I like doing, just throwing on armor and just ripping shi up.

Animal-Mother

So better in "SOME AREAS" means better overall? I had no idea :lol:

Even in your own post it clearly says360 has the edge in terms of visuals and general performance

-Tretiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 -Tretiak

[QUOTE="DreamCryotank"]

Nolakk

Yet overall, 360 is better. Just like IGN said.

1Stark1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 1Stark1

Theres one thing that digital foundry fudged up on. The game isn't HD on 360, its been confirmed to be 1152x720 by Crytek themselves.

Bus-A-Bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Bus-A-Bus
Member since 2009 • 5089 Posts

Nice to see 360 version is native 720p.It did seem crisp and clean to me.

1Stark1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 1Stark1

[QUOTE="Nolakk"][QUOTE="DreamCryotank"]

-Tretiak

Maybe, but the difference is far from big enough to alienate the PS3 version the way they did. Just check the vids, do you see a 1.0 difference in graphics? cmon now.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Animal-Mother

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

The__Havoc

So better in "SOME AREAS" means better overall? I had no idea :lol:

Even in your own post it clearly says360 has the edge in terms of visuals and general performance

When did I say overall? Please. I never said it was better overall. So please don't put words in my mouth.,

-Tretiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 -Tretiak

[QUOTE="-Tretiak"]

[QUOTE="Nolakk"] Yet there are people here who will ignore that and say 360 is much better. Face it people, both have pros and cons.1Stark1

Maybe, but

No, not maybe. Stop with the damage control. 360 version is overall superior to the PS3 version.

Nolakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nolakk

[QUOTE="Nolakk"][QUOTE="DreamCryotank"]

waltefmoney

How do you know the PS3 version doesn't drop lower? Did you just ignore the article? It states the 360 is the more stable version.

Just read the article. If you want i can summarize. They say b-o-t-h have pros and cons.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

Theres one thing that digital foundry fudged up on. The game isn't HD on 360, its been confirmed to be 1152x720 by Crytek themselves.

1Stark1

So uhh, wait for LoT now? Seems like noone is capable of keeping themselves credible these days :P

DreamCryotank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DreamCryotank
Member since 2011 • 1829 Posts

So 360 version it is for me but when i upgrade my PC i'll run this game at 60 fps 8).TheGuardian03

Yeah PC version is ofcourse the way it's suppose to be played. 60fps 1080p, no glitches or pop in, better AI ect.

Can't believe Crytek screwed up the AI. They always freaking overhype EVERYTHING. :x I mean, I know the enviroments are alot more complex than just hiding behind chest high walls down a narrow corridor, but some AI glitches I saw were just terrible. Especially when you compare it to Crysis 1. I blew a hut apart, so only half of it was standing, and the AI noticed this and used the undestroyed wall as cover.

Alien AI in Crysis 2 is incredible on PC though. :)

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 waltefmoney

[QUOTE="Mkavanaugh77"]360 is the better version hands downMozelleple112
Just stop it. You're lying to yourself.

Oh god.

The__Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 The__Havoc

When did I say overall? Please. I never said it was better overall. So please don't put words in my mouth.,

Animal-Mother

Then you rendered your own point irrelevant from the start.

I said overall.....What are you talking about that I said you said it? Clearly you don't know who you're dealing with here as you seem to be getting all mad at words and letters on the screen. You never had it until you bumped heads with The Havoc.

The__Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 The__Havoc

[QUOTE="Mkavanaugh77"]360 is the better version hands downMozelleple112
Just stop it. You're lying to yourself.

Are you having problems reading?

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Animal-Mother

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

The__Havoc

Then you rendered your own point irrelevant from the start.

I said overall.....What are you talking about that I said you said it? Clearly you don't know who you're dealing with here as you seem to be getting all mad at words and letters on the screen. You never had it until you bumped heads with The Havoc.

and I never said overall. People need to note both systems can stand up on their own pro's and cons. :lol: what are you talking about. You started assuming something from things I quoted. And you know im mad, what are you spying on me?
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
[QUOTE="DreamCryotank"]

Nolakk

I've seen PC benchmarks on good hardware that have lows of like 7fps, it doesn't mean they're rubbish, all games have random spikes at times, as long as it's not a sustained drop in fps there's no problem.
Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts

Like I said in the hype thread, I don't think you can go wrong with choosing either version.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

the whole concept was silly anyway since there is no way an open game like C2 is going to look better than a corrioor shooter.

anyway i hear the mail guy outside so my copy should be here and i finally get to see for myself.