Cryengine 3 supports DX11, 3D and 8-core optimization.

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AiurProtoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 AiurProtoss
Member since 2010 • 1080 Posts

[QUOTE="AiurProtoss"]what happened to hermits saying "omg teh consoles are detroying our gamzorz!!" yeah that was a load, a big steamy one from a bull. Happy now people?i5750at4Ghz
Not all hermits do that. I was happy crysis 2 went multiplat. I'm happy when any games goes mutiplat. Exclusives only hurt gamers.

I was jsut being silly , but there were a substantial amount fo threads proclaiming the end of the world when footage first came out for crysis 2.

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"][QUOTE="AiurProtoss"]what happened to hermits saying "omg teh consoles are detroying our gamzorz!!" yeah that was a load, a big steamy one from a bull. Happy now people?AiurProtoss

Not all hermits do that. I was happy crysis 2 went multiplat. I'm happy when any games goes mutiplat. Exclusives only hurt gamers.

I was jsut being silly , but there were a substantial amount fo threads proclaiming the end of the world when footage first came out for crysis 2.

More than you know. There were a few in the PC Games forums. PC gamers in general over react when they hear the word port.
mattuk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 mattuk69
Member since 2009 • 3050 Posts

So with this maybe there wll be no Crysis 2 vs KZ 2/ KZ 3/ Uncharted 2 graphic anymore

-ScorpionKing
ofc there will be threads about Crysis 2 vs Killzone 3. Every console tard does Crysis vs KZ2 when crysis is the obvious winner. They most likely gonna snub the PC version of Crysis 2 away and make out Crysis 2 on console is on par with KZ3.
iMojo786_PSN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 iMojo786_PSN
Member since 2010 • 1641 Posts
honestly dont see my self buying crysis 2 with all these other huge titles coming out.
hd5870corei7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 hd5870corei7
Member since 2010 • 1612 Posts

Cryengine 3 is win

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

[QUOTE="Silenthps"]

[QUOTE="WhenCicadasCry"]

"Thus, on the one hand there is nearly no performance drop and on the other hand stereoscopic 3D might be possible on any display" Sounds like it. :o Crytek spoil us too much. :D

WhenCicadasCry

welp this certainly makes me more content in the fact that I didn't take advantage of this deal :)

I've read about that monitor. It has large support for 3D. Crysis 1 is possible with it, and it's suppose to look impressive :P But yeah, it'll be nice to try Crysis 2 in 3D without needing to fork out on extra hardware. I'm guessing we'll need some sort of special glasses? I think I still have my 3D glasses from when I went to see Avatar. 8)

It doesn't work that way... Crysis 2's 3D technology may not require a dedicated 120Hz monitor, but you still need a special screen that allows reflecting light to retain its polarization and/or a glasses designed to communicate with the screen to alternately darken over one eye, and then the other, in synchronization with its refresh rate. So in theory it's a neat trick that could work on 60 Hz displays, but in practice there are no 60 Hz displays designed to display 3D content...

Still their solution is neat, if it can work across all sorts of 3D displays without performance drop.

PS. Woah, that's a pretty amazing detail. The graphics card alone is worth about $150, so you're getting a 3D 1680x1050 monitor for $100. I'd snatch it up in a second if I didn't already have a 3D monitor (and sell the graphics card).

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4867 Posts
sounds nice. They were doing the demo with my CPU, amount of ram and a much lesser GPU. I should be good when the engine drops (especially when I overclock my CPU). Now i just got to get into PC gaming...
stvee101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 stvee101
Member since 2006 • 2953 Posts

Mmm I'll take this with a pinch of salt if I were you guys.

I remember all the BS from crytek and MS before the launch of Crysis about how if you had vista and ran it in dx10 with a quad core you would get some ridiculous performance increase.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#60 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

[QUOTE="ocstew"]And why is it that only European devs push graphics these days? Crytek, GSC, and 4A games?waltefmoney

What?

Id isn't pushing anything.... maybe the iphone but that's it.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#61 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
sweet. a game that will actually max out my quad core.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

AMD Bulldozer hereI come! :D

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

"Sean assured us, that CryEngine 3 would render nearly twice as many fps as CE2 at comparable graphics quality."

Won't even need to upgrade my computer.

Hakkai007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Hakkai007
Member since 2005 • 4905 Posts

"Sean assured us, that CryEngine 3 would render nearly twice as many fps as CE2 at comparable graphics quality."

Won't even need to upgrade my computer.

tagyhag

I doubt they can live up to that promise.

CE2 engine was not badly optimized.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

[QUOTE="ferret-gamer"][QUOTE="Vaasman"]

How many people are even using 8 core CPU's yet?

WhenCicadasCry

Well the people with the hex core phenoms will benefit. and they also may be referring to the i7's hyperthreading to make them 8 logical cores.

Oh nice, I just noticed you got a new CPU. How is it? :)

Iz very good, double framerates in nearly all games. Waiting to overclock it till i get new psu which hopefully will be getting this week. :D
Aidenfury19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Aidenfury19
Member since 2007 • 2488 Posts

But does it support OpenGL 4.1?

Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#67 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

WAT? I just get a quad core like last year and you guys are already thinking about octo cores?

Crytek, I hate you.

(but I also love you)

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Espada12

WAT? I just get a quad core like last year and you guys are already thinking about octo cores?

Crytek, I hate you.

(but I also love you)

MetroidPrimePwn

Intel is bringing out a 10 core Xenon and Bulldozer is supposed to have a 12 core model :lol:

Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Ringx55
Member since 2008 • 5967 Posts
Eight core? :|
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

[QUOTE="MetroidPrimePwn"]

Crytek, I hate you.

(but I also love you)

Espada12

Intel is bringing out a 10 core Xenon and Bulldozer is supposed to have a 12 core model :lol:

and there is mangy cours too.
Ringx55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Ringx55
Member since 2008 • 5967 Posts

Crytek, I hate you.

(but I also love you)

Espada12

I'd never buy anything like that considering almost no games would optimize them and still have issues.
Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts

[QUOTE="WhenCicadasCry"]

[QUOTE="Silenthps"]welp this certainly makes me more content in the fact that I didn't take advantage of this deal :)

SakusEnvoy

I've read about that monitor. It has large support for 3D. Crysis 1 is possible with it, and it's suppose to look impressive :P But yeah, it'll be nice to try Crysis 2 in 3D without needing to fork out on extra hardware. I'm guessing we'll need some sort of special glasses? I think I still have my 3D glasses from when I went to see Avatar. 8)

It doesn't work that way... Crysis 2's 3D technology may not require a dedicated 120Hz monitor, but you still need a special screen that allows reflecting light to retain its polarization and/or a glasses designed to communicate with the screen to alternately darken over one eye, and then the other, in synchronization with its refresh rate. So in theory it's a neat trick that could work on 60 Hz displays, but in practice there are no 60 Hz displays designed to display 3D content...

Still their solution is neat, if it can work across all sorts of 3D displays without performance drop.

PS. Woah, that's a pretty amazing detail. The graphics card alone is worth about $150, so you're getting a 3D 1680x1050 monitor for $100. I'd snatch it up in a second if I didn't already have a 3D monitor (and sell the graphics card).

yeah im srsly contemplating getting it. If i can sell my 20inch 900p monitor for 100$ i totally will.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#73 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

DX 11, 3D, 8 Cores? Man, times like this I wish I had a gaming rig.SaltyMeatballs
Yeah, I'm upgrading my PC late 2010/throughout 2011.

killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts

When developers get to grips with it, it's going to produce some mindblowing games. Crytek ftw. :D

WhenCicadasCry

But will devs use it? CE2 wasn't used by many devs at all.

With the doubled-framerate, I believe he's referring to jumping to 8 cores for Crysis 2 vs using 4 cores with Crysis 1. If you're using the same 4 core processor with Crysis 1 as Crysis 2...I don't *think* youll see doubled framerates. That's what I get out of it...since it's under the 8 core heading, but I could be wrong.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

I'll believe it when I see it.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

[QUOTE="WhenCicadasCry"]When developers get to grips with it, it's going to produce some mindblowing games. Crytek ftw. :D

killab2oo5

With the doubled-framerate, I believe he's referring to jumping to 8 cores for Crysis 2 vs using 4 cores with Crysis 1. If you're using the same 4 core processor with Crysis 1 as Crysis 2...I don't *think* youll see doubled framerates. That's what I get out of it...since it's under the 8 core heading, but I could be wrong.

You definitely won't see doubled framerates just by doubling the cores in the CPU.

blues35301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 blues35301
Member since 2008 • 2680 Posts

Mmm I'll take this with a pinch of salt if I were you guys.

I remember all the BS from crytek and MS before the launch of Crysis about how if you had vista and ran it in dx10 with a quad core you would get some ridiculous performance increase.

stvee101
Yeah. I remember them mentioning it would take advantage of quad cores. I'm also skeptical of the whole "run twice as many fps as comparable CE2 graphics." They said warhead looked better and was more optimized. Mine ran about the same and the game graphically was downgraded in drawdistance, certain textures like npc clothing, nanonsuit details and a few other aspects. The lighting, terrain and explsions improved a lot though. So we'll see. Can't wait to play it though, lets hope they release a single player pc demo
blues35301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 blues35301
Member since 2008 • 2680 Posts

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]DX 11, 3D, 8 Cores? Man, times like this I wish I had a gaming rig.mitu123

Yeah I'm waiting for Crysis 2 to buy a dx11 card. Hopefully the 480 will have dropped by a hundred bucks or so by then.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Espada12

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]DX 11, 3D, 8 Cores? Man, times like this I wish I had a gaming rig.mitu123

Yea that's probably the best time, new processors and video cards come around that time!

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Espada12

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

Crytek, I hate you.

(but I also love you)

Ringx55

I'd never buy anything like that considering almost no games would optimize them and still have issues.

Yea those are server based processors, I believe the highest enthusiast model is 8 cores.

WhenCicadasCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 WhenCicadasCry
Member since 2010 • 2727 Posts

[QUOTE="WhenCicadasCry"]When developers get to grips with it, it's going to produce some mindblowing games. Crytek ftw. :D

killab2oo5

Now that it's multiplatform, I hope so. :) I hope developers opt for the Cryengine 3 instead of the Unreal Engine.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

CE3 sounds more like a benchmarking application then an actual game engine.

I hope they're putting a STORY somewhere in Crysis 2 too.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

[QUOTE="WhenCicadasCry"]

Please keep in mind: The following details are referring to CryEngine 3 (CE3) in general and can't necessarily be linked with Crysis 2!

At gamescom 2010, Crytek's field applications engineer Sean Tracy showed to PC Games Hardware a live demonstration of CryEngine 3 in stereoscopic 3D. Of course in real-time ("What You See Is What You Play") within the powerful editor Sandbox 3. Instead of rendering each picture twice (=half the framerate!) and projecting it on a dedicated 120Hz LCD monitor, Crytek simply uses the back buffer and the depth information in the graphics card: The rendered frame is practically being cloned and the fractum shift procedure makes two out of it. Thus, on the one hand there is nearly no performance drop and on the other hand stereoscopic 3D might be possible on any display - no matter if it's on PC or consoles. Crytek calls this technology "Screen Space Re-Projection Stereo".

Silenthps

wait, so does this mean we can play Crysis 2 on a monitor thats not 120Hz?

Seeing as they were using stereoscopic 3D, no. Technically, the 3DTVs/monitors/projectors are the only ones that can accept true 120 frames a second over DVI/HDMI/displayport. So shutter glasses make that 60 frames per eye. With anything else, its 60 frames, only 30 per eye, which for 3D will look bad and has a higher chance for headaches and all those other problems people complain 3D gives them. Even if people wanted to do only 60hz 3D, stuff like 3D Vision, the best 3D experience for PC, doesn't support anything but 3D monitors/tvs/projectors.

All this is doing is performance optimization. Instead of literally rendering the game twice, one for each eye at a different angle, which is what every other game does, they've got their "Screen space re-projection stereo" tech. So now we don't see the halving of FPS while in 3D, but still get the superb 3D effect. Other companies need to take advantage of this tech imo.