Could the ps5 play games off the disc again no more installs?

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I like to pop in a disc and start playing anyone else miss that? let nintendo and Microsoft install crap sony should go back to playing off the disc and consumers can choose. Maybe just use the ssd for the os.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@ProtossRushX: I read that all first party games for the PS5 will be playable with a dvd remote.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Isn't straight from the disk slower than even mechanical HDD?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@ProtossRushX: A disc is a lot slower than a drive so no.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Not happening

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

That's a new low for OP

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

Wait......are you serious?

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

@ssouncyk: Nintendo games have no textures, lame cartoony graphics and are just modified N64 games for the most part.

The only reason Nintendo games barely have load times is because their games are of low quality.

And let’s not pretend all of Nintendo’s games never had them. I vividly remember Metroid Prime taking 15 seconds to load every area in that damn game. Click the button to open a door and you stand there waiting forever despite just coming from that area a minute ago because of all the backtracking.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@ajstyles: ?

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts

the only way i could see it ever possibly happening is with a highly customised optical drive specifically built to be able to read data at a very high rate AND be able to find it on the disc very very quickly.

I can only really speculate on such a drive (and i dont know if its technically feasible) but it would need to take gamecube size discs for a start (physically: maybe have multiple layers to get the capacity as close to 100GB as possible). this reduced the surface area which makes life easier for the read heads.

and i mean read heads: if the drive had multiple read heads (3-4) it would, maybe, be able to further reduce the seek times while increasing the read speed times.

tools would also need to be developed to optimise the layout of data on the disc so that, especially for bigger files (textures for example) all 4 heads can be lined up on different areas of the disc to maximise the read rate (4 heads reading 4 different areas of the disc at the same time.

the disc would also need to spin as quickly as possible of course. whats the max speed of a blu-ray drive these days? 8X?

anyway something like that, maybe, is the only way modern games would be able to run off a disc with no installs. well technically they could use a standard drive but the loading times would be absolutely horrendous.

edit: just to add: this would not be nearly as good as an SSD. at best it may just be able to scrape by good enough. it still wouldnt be hitting the improvements Cerny mentioned with the PS5 storage setup with spiderman for example.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts
@ProtossRushX said:

I like to pop in a disc and start playing anyone else miss that?

I went all digital this gen and I don't regret it either! So no, I don't miss popping a disc inside, digital downloads is the future of Sony with PS5.

Evolve today :P

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56107 Posts
@mclarenmaster18 said:

I guess PS5 and Xbox Scarlett requires games to be installed onto the hard drive before playing.

Pretty much this. PS5/Xbox Scarlet will need disc in order to be installed, but knowing both Sony/MS, they'll try pushing digital even more so but that's fine by me.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts

Isn't worth setting aside some time in your life, to understand the basics of computers in your hobby?

So you can work out what the pros and cons of this request are?

and then come to the natural conclusion that that little convenience you gain is completely overshadowed by the downsides.

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts

Doubt it. It definitely will have a day one patch.

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

That would completely kill the "no load times" point of the PS5. Not to mention it will greatly shorten the lifetime of the drive itself if its constantly spinning.

Personally, I know for a fact the drive on my PS5 will be completely unused the entire gen. What would be the point of buying physical when I can currently download 100GB games in less than 40 minutes? ??‍♂️

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Things are going the other direction. It's increasingly rare to use the disc for anything other than a DRM check and initial install. And it makes sense. Disc drives don't last long, and as games get bigger and bigger it makes less and lead sense to try to "stream" data from the disc.

It'll be ok - we've had to install games on PC since the late 80s and you get used to it. On the other hand, playing games from a ps1 disc was like pulling teeth

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

Nah, I'm fine with the way things are now.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

That's going backwards in tech dude.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12304 Posts

There's zero chance that'll ever happen. Hard drives are significantly faster at reading data than any disc drive.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts

Why would you want to? As has already been said reading from an HDD is significantly faster. I prefer installing games from the optical disc myself so no I don’t miss those days of just popping in the disc and playing right away. The benefits outweigh the negatives.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

Let's go back to disk swapping while we're at it.

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

Well, the fastest bd drives are at 25MB to 52MB read speeds, with the fastest speed being using single layer discs. And the speeds are inconsistent. They could get close to a standard 5200rpm HDD at the peak speeds, but far from a better HDD or a SSD. And games are pushing 100GB easily now, so installing on a SSD will be important.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#25 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2564 Posts

It would be awesome, but is nearly impossible.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20105 Posts
@ProtossRushX said:

I like to pop in a disc and start playing anyone else miss that? let nintendo and Microsoft install crap sony should go back to playing off the disc and consumers can choose. Maybe just use the ssd for the os.

That's never coming back. File sizes are just too massive and disc read speeds are just too slow. Installation is the way to go until we're all digital or a new medium appears that addresses the problem of slow read speeds.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

No. It will use installs.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts

If you don't want to disc swap then just buy digital, it's been an option for consoles for last decade.

Also, all games have patches so still going to need to update game, so no pop in and play.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@Rockman999 said:

That would completely kill the "no load times" point of the PS5. Not to mention it will greatly shorten the lifetime of the drive itself if its constantly spinning.

Personally, I know for a fact the drive on my PS5 will be completely unused the entire gen. What would be the point of buying physical when I can currently download 100GB games in less than 40 minutes? ??‍♂️

The disadvantage comes in the form that you don't own digital games,you are license to them and if a company decide to drop a game next gen and not carry it anymore and your system is damage you loss the game for ever.

Contrary to physical games which you own the copy and is yours,and if your system break and the game is discontinued you just get another system.

You can still purchase an original Atari or Nes online and play games if you owned them,lets see how that fares out 20 years from now,and see how many of those digital games still are offer to be downloaded.

But i do agree that playing games from an optical drive can't be done this days or next gen specially with how big games have become and how much data need to be load faster.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3055 Posts

I'm sure it would be cost prohibitive, but what if they used carts with flash/SSD inside? Just talking out of my ass, but does that make sense?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Nope, you're going to have to deal with PS just being a shitty PC.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

I miss those days too but the opposite is happening with ps5. They are bragging about the speed of the new ssd hd in ps5 saying that the game loading is coming from the hd so I doubt the disc will have much more than some install files and copy protection stuff on it. Gotta go back to ps2, dreamcast, and gamecube for that kind of gaming. I miss it dearly. No online patches. Complete games. Carry your games with you to a friends house etc. Now the Switch comes closest but still doesn’t count because most games need to download extra data on the hd as well.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Sony wants to eliminate loading times and you want them to go back to disc play?

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

The intelligence of the average playstation fan here seems to be, well, simpler than most.

Anyone else notice this?

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

@Sevenizz: yes

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

Loading from a disc is just way too slow.

I don't mind the install times, because having to suffer from insanely long loading times is worse.

Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Steppy_76
Member since 2005 • 2857 Posts

@tormentos said:
@Rockman999 said:

The disadvantage comes in the form that you don't own digital games,you are license to them and if a company decide to drop a game next gen and not carry it anymore and your system is damage you loss the game for ever.

Contrary to physical games which you own the copy and is yours,and if your system break and the game is discontinued you just get another system.

You can still purchase an original Atari or Nes online and play games if you owned them,lets see how that fares out 20 years from now,and see how many of those digital games still are offer to be downloaded.

But i do agree that playing games from an optical drive can't be done this days or next gen specially with how big games have become and how much data need to be load faster.

Judging by the fact that there are readily available copies of games for every system dating back to the 2600 and those game ONLY came in a physical format originally, I would say the chances are VERY high that copies of games that are already digital will exist 20 years from now.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Okay, I won't have the classroom throw their backpacks at you this time but still...

lol :P

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Nope. Discs are way too slow. Not to mention loud, annoying, fragile, etc...

So glad I don't have to deal with those things anymore.

...And don't come at me with those flawed ownership arguments. We all know game ownership died along with console gen 6.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@Steppy_76 said:

Judging by the fact that there are readily available copies of games for every system dating back to the 2600 and those game ONLY came in a physical format originally, I would say the chances are VERY high that copies of games that are already digital will exist 20 years from now.

playing a blow up atari game in a HD screen is not even close to the same experience.And not there is no copies of every system unless you are talking a bout emulation which is totally illegal if you don't own said games.

Fact is you dont own digital games and for consoles you can't sell them either.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

floppydics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 floppydics
Member since 2014 • 415 Posts

Those days are long gone for no installs. But hey we have a nice fast SSD on the way so why would you want to anyway. I'll always want physical media as an option mind you.

Steppy_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Steppy_76
Member since 2005 • 2857 Posts

@tormentos said:
@Steppy_76 said:

playing a blow up atari game in a HD screen is not even close to the same experience.And not there is no copies of every system unless you are talking a bout emulation which is totally illegal if you don't own said games.

Fact is you dont own digital games and for consoles you can't sell them either.

I don't own any CRT Tv's so even if I knew where my 2600 and games were, it's being done on my big ass TV, physical or digital doesn't matter in that regard. I'm saying there are copies of games available that were released on proprietary formats that were never meant to be copied, and you think digital copies will not exist of digitally released games? You need original hardware to play the physical copy, and your license of the digital copy has no time limit either so if you purchased the game in the past you would legally be able to obtain and use a digital copy regardless of where it comes from. You don't own your physical copy either, you own a license and that's it...if you owned it you could make and sell copies of your disc since you "own" it...try it and let me know how that works out for you.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

?

switch still plays game off the cart for many games. the last old school console so far.