Consoles desperately need disc changers next gen.

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Firstinstimct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Firstinstimct
Member since 2011 • 306 Posts
Yes im lazy, i have a 60 inch tv and game from my couch 10 feet away. Sometimes im snuggled up under my blanky and absolutely hate getting up off my lazy a$$ to change the game disc. Who agrees?
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

If you play on the 360, sure

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

As convenient as it would be, I'm sure money put into the system will be prioritized elsewhere.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

Zaibach
He means to change the actual game, not disc swap. In that regard, the consoles are in the same boat. To answer the TC - no. There's too much laziness bred into our culture as it is.
aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Zaibach

Hah yeah pretty much :lol:

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

aroxx_ab

I didn't know PS3 or Wii had a disc swapper...? Anyway, lol at this idea. No one can be this lazy and not be ashamed of him/herself...
Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

Hillarious thread bro!

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts
No, not at all. Having a clunky disc changer added to my console like a leech is not a nice thought. Companies aren't responsible for your laziness.
drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts
No one should ever be that lazy.
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zaibach

[QUOTE="aroxx_ab"]

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

Sgt_Crow

I didn't know PS3 or Wii had a disc swapper...? Anyway, lol at this idea. No one can be this lazy and not be ashamed of him/herself...

If he meant for different games, then wouldnt it make sense to have all your games on HD

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zaibach

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

dommeus

He means to change the actual game, not disc swap. In that regard, the consoles are in the same boat. To answer the TC - no. There's too much laziness bred into our culture as it is.

in that case a 1TB hard disk is the solution the last thing consoles need is more moving parts that can break

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
This is just sad. maybe you should just put ur system on a end table next to you and a box of games next to it. run a long wire to your tv.
Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

[QUOTE="dommeus"][QUOTE="Zaibach"]

Zaibach

in that case a 1TB hard disk is the solution the last thing consoles need is more moving arts that can break

That typo was actually hillarious! :D
shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#14 shawn7324
Member since 2006 • 8690 Posts

No I don't agree, don't think I could ever become that lazy.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zaibach

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

[QUOTE="dommeus"] He means to change the actual game, not disc swap. In that regard, the consoles are in the same boat. To answer the TC - no. There's too much laziness bred into our culture as it is.Am_Confucius

in that case a 1TB hard disk is the solution the last thing consoles need is more moving arts that can break

That typo was actually hillarious! :D

:x blast!

Meat_Wad_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Meat_Wad_Fan
Member since 2002 • 9054 Posts

I don't agree at all, I don't want a bulky system just because people are too lazy to switch a game. Console HDD's will be larger next gen, so this may not even be an issue. Sometime in the future all videogames might even be on a "cloud" service like onlive, so just sit there on your couch and wait for that....

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Or just go DD.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts
a waste of money. maybe they could meet the lazy half way though. have 1 internal disc drive as usual but also let games load from external USB blu-ray drives. this assumes the disc tech hasnt been modified in next gen consoles though and an industry standard drive would do the job. USB3 external blu-ray drives should be more than enough. another option would be to allow people to copy the contents of the disc to the HDD. if all console games next gen tie peoples games to their live/PSN account (much like games on steam) then they wont need to worry about people just copying the disc and selling it on. however whether that will be the case next gen with regard to online registration is a major if. the only other solution is to get a PC and stick wit the likes of steam. no discs needed outside the HDD. if you want to play some of the big console exclusives though then obhiously that wont work.
Miketheman83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Miketheman83
Member since 2010 • 3156 Posts
I think it's a good idea. I'm usually going back and forth between a couple of games.
ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts
If next gen consoles go the way i want them to, there wont be any discs to swap. I am of the belief that digital download services like STEAM and Origin will be very, very prominent in the next generation of consoles. So that being said, all of your games will be stored on the HDD and your issue will be solved!!
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

It wont happen. However, I do agree that consoles need to be fully DD next gen. (or at least have every game come with a redeemable key that lets you instal the game onto your HDD).

The infrastructure already exists. The 360 offers full game downloads, and there are TONS of full game downloads on the Playstation store, that launch day and date with the retail versions. Infamous 2 was up there the week the game come out. The same with ALL of the Assassins Creed games, among several others. Just about every high profile game is available on the PSN and XBL.

Give me full DD. I hate getting up to change disks, especially when you have alot of different games, and dont know which one you want to play. You acn simply go to the dashboard and load up whichever one you want and call it a day.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

I agree its one of the big advantages pc has never have to swap a disk ever to play a diffrent even with a hardcopy of a game ;)

Laharl5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Laharl5
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts

Purchase a slave.

Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts

If next gen consoles go the way i want them to, there wont be any discs to swap. I am of the belief that digital download services like STEAM and Origin will be very, very prominent in the next generation of consoles. So that being said, all of your games will be stored on the HDD and your issue will be solved!!ShoTTyMcNaDeS
DD sucks, you cant display it you cant resell it, you cant loan it to people,you wont be able to get sale specials at stores, you have to have enough hdd space, you wont be able to give it as a gift, unless you give them a paper with a code on it LAME. I believe it will be popular but physical media will never dissapear.

this is the laziest thread i have ever seen. if changing a disk is too much work you guys are gonna have a rough life

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

No.Get up.Do something.

Although the 360 needs to get rid of its disc tray.It's old and annoying.

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

[QUOTE="ShoTTyMcNaDeS"]If next gen consoles go the way i want them to, there wont be any discs to swap. I am of the belief that digital download services like STEAM and Origin will be very, very prominent in the next generation of consoles. So that being said, all of your games will be stored on the HDD and your issue will be solved!!Djmaster214

DD sucks, you cant display it you cant resell it, you cant loan it to people,you wont be able to get sale specials at stores, you have to have enough hdd space, you wont be able to give it as a gift, unless you give them a paper with a code on it LAME. I believe it will be popular but physical media will never dissapear.

this is the laziest thread i have ever seen. if changing a disk is too much work you guys are gonna have a rough life

If the OP is too lazy to cross his room to change a disk, I definitely can't seem him going all the way to a store to trade a game in :P

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44606 Posts
yes, and a gaming chair I can use as a toilet with a mini-fridge built into the side kidding aside, yes I support a strong digital system, but it has to be optional or a system will fail for those that want discs, it also needs to have a price advantage over disc retail like Steam, not like what they have now where digital is more expensive than retail
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
I agree, sometimes I have more than 1 game to play and it would be easier to just be able to pick a game without having to swap game discs.
Firstinstimct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Firstinstimct
Member since 2011 • 306 Posts
yes, and a gaming chair I can use as a toilet with a mini-fridge built into the sidelamprey263
That would be heaven.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#30 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

If you are seriously too lazy to get up off your butt for 30 seconds to change a game disk, you probably play too many games.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

Yes im lazy, i have a 60 inch tv and game from my couch 10 feet away. Sometimes im snuggled up under my blanky and absolutely hate getting up off my lazy a$$ to change the game disc. Who agrees?Firstinstimct

thats pure laziness i dont even know where to begin on ripping you to pieces.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Yes im lazy, i have a 60 inch tv and game from my couch 10 feet away. Sometimes im snuggled up under my blanky and absolutely hate getting up off my lazy a$$ to change the game disc. Who agrees?Firstinstimct
Yes, I agree that you are lazy.

greenskittles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 greenskittles
Member since 2011 • 661 Posts

I'm not lazy, I just prefer not to have to do it at all. Excuse me If I'm wrong but doesn't Battlefield have three discs on the 360, don't you have to change discs just to go from multiplayer to singleplayer? I could do it, but like I said I prefer not to. I also like the coating applied to blu-ray's against damage, having irresponsible kids around does not help preserving my videogame collection.

Oh and I dislike the possibility of some developers feeling they must cut down on some content because they don't want to put it on two discs which can be the case. DVD has some real disadvantages compared to Blu-ray and I hope Microsoft and Nintendo at least develop something similar if they aren't going the Blu route.

JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
Your problem has already been solved with digital distribution. Embrace it.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44606 Posts
[QUOTE="lamprey263"]yes, and a gaming chair I can use as a toilet with a mini-fridge built into the sideFirstinstimct
That would be heaven.

got the idea from Idiocracy...
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MushroomWig
[QUOTE="Firstinstimct"][QUOTE="lamprey263"]yes, and a gaming chair I can use as a toilet with a mini-fridge built into the sidelamprey263
That would be heaven.

got the idea from Idiocracy...

Oh nice, imagine the smell.
iano-87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 iano-87
Member since 2010 • 685 Posts

Came in just to say, WOW! Seriously pal, id be worried if I were you.

And yes, I agree that you are lazy... very lazy.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Buy yourself a slave
ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts
I think it is hilarious how alot of you cant seem to grasp the fact that the industry is moving towards full digital distribution at the speed of light. Why do you think PC gamers love their gaming medium of choice. STEAM for example has thousands of older games at PC gamers finger tips. Haven't you ever been sitting there on your couch or favorite chair and thought about a certain game that you never finished or maybe skipped over? Wow! With a few key strokes and the OK to charge your credit card, that game is yours!! Or how about when some huge new game comes out. Lets say BF3 for arguments sake. With DD, you can buy, preload and on release day play this game without having to go stand in line at midnight, run all over town in search of said game or have to worry about damaged discs. As far as the contention that with DD you cannot share, gift or trade in games. You can most certainly gift games on STEAM, Amazon, Origin and others. Trading games is a complete ripoff. Its like buying a new car. The second you buy that car and drive it off the lot, it loses 1/3 of its value. Go to Gamestop and buy BF3 for $65 take it home, play it and decide to take it back in a week. They will give you about $35 for it!! If you are big into buying new games then trading them towards other games, just use Gamefly and save yourself a ton of money!! Sorry to say, but the days of the disc coming in a box are coming to an end. Think about how much money it will save the developers and publishers not having to produce and ship out hundreds of thousands of game discs. They can simply develope and produce a game and put it directly out on DD!! Better get ready, its coming!!!!
PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

Purchase a slave.

Laharl5

I just get my butler to do it.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

[QUOTE="dommeus"][QUOTE="Zaibach"]

Zaibach

in that case a 1TB hard disk is the solution the last thing consoles need is more moving parts that can break

this.

Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

For the 360, yeah that would be nice, but for the Wii U and PS3 (and obviously PS4), their disc have plenty of disc space.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MushroomWig

For the 360, yeah that would be nice, but for the Wii U and PS3 (and obviously PS4), their disc have plenty of disc space.

Gamingclone
That's not what he means, he's talking about a disc changer for different games.
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11803 Posts

This is where PC gaming shines :P

rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rasengan2552
Member since 2009 • 5071 Posts

that would be crazy ... just being able to quickly switch from Modern Warfare 5 to Uncharted 4 : Drake's nature walk.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#46 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

That would be awesome. But I don't know if it would be used enough to be worth the money.

DeX2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DeX2010
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts
I don't really think its necessary. I mean when I play, I pick one game such as RDR and I'll play it for an hour, then have a break and do something else, and then say, if I wanted to play COD Zombies, I'd do that.
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Nah you need to get up and stretch after so much gaming.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#49 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Or they forget physical media altogether.
WllDan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 WllDan7
Member since 2004 • 2581 Posts
You have to change the disc if you want to play a different retail game. Simple as that. In about a decade games maybe all digital. So until then you are going to have to do what everyone else does and change the disc.