Console-only owners: Why DONT you do pc gaming.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ice144
Member since 2005 • 3350 Posts

I have a 360, PS3, a WII, ds, and psp. I also have a pc. I am DUMBFOUNDED how people who only play console games act as if pc gaming is the bane of life. What I want to know is, why don't you play it?

I'll be honest with you, I have a better experience on the pc than the console. All of my multiplat games are on the pc (except for Bioshock and soon to be Mass Effect) so I can make the most out of them, and I prefer the feel of a mouse/keyboard over any controller by far.

But anyways yea, why dont YOU do pc gaming? Why would you rather play only console games, and make threads hating on the pc as if anyone that has it deserves to be shot? Why can't you just have both?

Honestly, do you pc haters have any idea how much you're missing, for no reason at all?

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts
I don't have the money to upgrade to a new console let alone a new PC.
warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

theres no reason not to do both.

even if it was just playing the great older games, like AVP2, or NWN.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts
I own all current gen systems and a gaming PC but i have a better experience with the consoles.
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts

I don't hate the PC nor do I think that it's the bane of life.

I just can't get into gaming on it, and I don't like many of its big games. It's not that hard to comprehend. Just like some PC guys don't like console gaming, same thing vice versa.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts
Cause my current PC sucks and I can't afford to upgrade it right now. :(
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 crunchUK
Member since 2007 • 3050 Posts
ROFL @ threAD. a) installations = unappealing. B) incompatiility = unappealing C) big money = unappealing d) since when can you have fun with friends on a PC.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts
Only games I play on the PC are GW and The Witcher, just seems PC lacks a lot of games that appeal to me.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21653 Posts
Cuz a good PC rig is alittle out of my budget. Only games my PC can play is Halo: Combat evolve on maximum settings lvl of graphics...
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

'never cared about PC gaming.

I'm still playing Quake3, UT99 and Tomb Raider though:P

Forensic-Klown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Forensic-Klown
Member since 2008 • 884 Posts

Waste of good money, a PC isn't made for games alone with important applications running in the background that can hit performances etc. constant upgrades are annoying, configurations aswell.

Why not just do conosles?

cheaper, pop in and play....easy.

Graphics are just as good and stand up on there own even against the best looking PC games, IMO.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts
I would love to upgrade my PC,but its too much for my wallet. Iv seen how much my uncle spend to get his PC up to date.
warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 warmaster670

ROFL @ threAD. a) installations = unappealing. B) incompatiility = unappealing C) big money = unappealing d) since when can you have fun with friends on a PC.crunchUK

this post is so full of fail its not even funny.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

I don't understand the "can't afford to upgrade" argument.

Just because you can't play the most recent games doesn't mean you can't play ones that are two or three years old.

Typically when I get a new computer(about every 4-5 years), I hit the bargain bin and catch up on all the games I couldn't play on my old one.

So even if you have a crappy old computer, why don't you play AAA games from three years ago?

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 warmaster670

Waste of good money, a PC isn't made for games alone with important applications running in the background that can hit performances etc. constant upgrades are annoying, configurations aswell.

Graphics are just as good and stand up on there own even against the best looking PC games, IMO.

Forensic-Klown

maybe if you have a $1200 TV.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

I don't understand the "can't afford to upgrade" argument.

Just because you can't play the most recent games doesn't mean you can't play ones that are two or three years old.

Typically when I get a new computer(about every 4-5 years), I hit the bargain bin and catch up on all the games I couldn't play on my old one.

So even if you have a crappy old computer, why don't you play AAA games from three years ago?

DaBrainz

Some of us are REALLY behind in upgrading. My comp nearly caught a heart attack trying to play KOTOR.

cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#18 cosmostein77
Member since 2004 • 7043 Posts

PC Gaming is not the Bane of life, LOL

There area few reasons why as I have got older my PC gaming has decreased:

1) When I was in University, I had a PC basically on the coffee table of the house I shared that we all used for MP3's and Videos etc, it was hooked to the TV in there and the sound system. I didn't care that cables were all over the place and I liked being able to flop on the sofa and play whatever using the wireless keyboard and mouse. Now that I have my own place with more space I have a home office where my PC resides, and while gaming in a leather office chair and 24" screen are great its still not as comfy as my sofa in the living room on a 61" screen

2) At work I have a PC in my office, and I do my work, check my emails, read news, check out gamespot, and do whatever I would normally use my PC at home for at the office, and when I am done my work day the idea of coming home and sitting in front of a PC is not all that appealing, games like Crysis are of course the exception but overall I associate PC's with work, and I don't want to work when I am at home.

I don't mind PC gaming, I just like my home theater set-up better.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

I have never been a fan of gaming on the PC. I don't really have a compelling reason. Every time I have tried to start, I just get bored and irritated with the whole process.

Not to mention, my PC is great for doing school work and the other stuff I need it to, but it would die a firey death if I tried running modern games on it.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8910 Posts
Because that's what I bought the consoles for?
enygma500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 enygma500
Member since 2005 • 3004 Posts
i've given pc gaming and honest shot. but i simply just dont like kb/m but im also not a huge fan of FPS or stratagy games anyways. soooo pc's not really for me. but console so far this gen have been lackluster at best. the games are all damn shooters
Vectah_Sigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Vectah_Sigma
Member since 2007 • 1104 Posts

I dont see the point in playing games on the computer,,,,,,or a PC anyway. If MAC's had games, then it would be a different story

Always-Honest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Always-Honest
Member since 2007 • 11261 Posts

upgrades and horrible, horrible windows

edit: no hater of pc gaming, just windows. especially vista

Big_Boss465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Big_Boss465
Member since 2007 • 834 Posts
I play a little bit (mostly older games because my PC is not state of the art). I don't play more because none of my friends are PC gamers and I mostly like to game online with them when I am playing games.
ramey70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ramey70
Member since 2006 • 4002 Posts
I have nothing against PC gaming. In fact, some of my best experiences have been gaming on the PC. However, I'm 31 now and other nuances of daily life have eaten into what time I devote to gaming. Depending on work and family load I may only get a few hours a week sometimes to game. With that time I don't want to fiddle with settings, be on the look out for updated hardware, search for patches and mods, or wonder "what could I do next to make this game better?". With a console game I know that no matter what game I buy I can bring it home and it will work as it was supposed to. No tweaking, messing around, etc. Not to mention that my favorite game, NCAA Football series, is only available on consoles.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

1.too expensive and this is a simple fact compared to consoles pc gaming is way to expensive if i wanna either upgrade what i currently have, or buy a whole new computer. (and trust me im a perfectionist so if i know a certain setup is gonna get me the max ill get it and i just dont got the money)

2.Too hard sorry to say but pc gaming is not plug and play and i really got sick of it, puting together your own system is hard enough, but installing games, installing patches, installing mods...ect its just not worth it and then incompability issues? opps crash!

3.Variety sorry but the pc just does not have the variety of the consoles I rarely see fighters, jrpgs..ect made specifically for the pc.

4.Yet again too expensive i can put that money into buying old games i missed and old systems.

5.I have a computer room....i dont have my pc hooked up in my room with all my other systems and my hdtv...and i really dont feel like lugging the thing up there just to try and hook it up *and fail in the process since my tv doesn't have dvi or vga*

With my consoles i can sit down. pop a game in and im going.

(though i did just recently puchase a 499 cheapo laptop that was weak as hell so as to play RTS with my friends and rts games are not graphics intensive...surfice to say this thing plays empire earth 1 good...lol)

Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts

The $$$ and time it take

plus the games ithas to offer I can play on my 360.

Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ilikemyname420
Member since 2007 • 5147 Posts

I have a 360, PS3, a WII, ds, and psp. I also have a pc. I am DUMBFOUNDED how people who only play console games act as if pc gaming is the bane of life. What I want to know is, why don't you play it?

I'll be honest with you, I have a better experience on the pc than the console. All of my multiplat games are on the pc (except for Bioshock and soon to be Mass Effect) so I can make the most out of them, and I prefer the feel of a mouse/keyboard over any controller by far.

But anyways yea, why dont YOU do pc gaming? Why would you rather play only console games, and make threads hating on the pc as if anyone that has it deserves to be shot? Why can't you just have both?

Honestly, do you pc haters have any idea how much you're missing, for no reason at all?

ice144

I do prefer keyboard and mouse however I also feel a controller takes a certain amount of skill and levels the playing field a bit multiplayer wise(were all playing on the same game pads). Personally I still game on my PC it's just alot less than I was a year ago.

Then there's the upgrades... it doesn't seem to click in with some people that someone else might not have $1000 to spend every 6 months. I mean you can BS your numbers and say it will only cost you $500 to upgrade but thats not a gaming PC now is it?

Avatar image for JonJonJohnnyJon
JonJonJohnnyJon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JonJonJohnnyJon
Member since 2005 • 216 Posts

My main reason: I prefer owning laptops (I love my laptop), and I don't want to invest a gaming laptop because:

1. It would be expensive.

2. I wouldn't want to game on a laptop, period. I would have to hook it up to my TV and get a wireless keyboard/mouse or something. However, reason number 1 makes this not likely.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

Because my PC hotrodding days are behind me. I want to buy a newly released game without having to look at the system requirements, pop it in the tray and begin playing. I don't want to tweak my settings or run additional apps to get the type of functionality I get with a console.

metalisticpain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#31 metalisticpain
Member since 2005 • 3536 Posts

ROFL @ threAD. a) installations = unappealing. B) incompatiility = unappealing C) big money = unappealing d) since when can you have fun with friends on a PC.crunchUK

Since networking was developed actually.

Some people find the PC too duanting, as the above quoted poster seems to find. People don't understand PC hardware and settings enough to actually judge how to solve problems that can arise. Not that all PC games have problems, but lets face it, When windows 2000 was released, it was done so with 63,000 known defects - because hey thats software. Now vista is millions and millions of lines of code, so you can imagine how many known defects there where when they released it.

Consoles are a nice deal for people, because they can buy it, and know that all games for that system will run. Developers are able to make games run on consoles with no problems because they know exactly what the hardware will be, the input devices, the specification etc.

This is impossible for PC which leads to the problems installing some games etc etc. And yes, it does cost more then consoles.

For note, I own a Gaming PC and a Wii

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
I was a PC gamer back in the 90's. Had some good times, but the PS2 showed that consoles can match the PC in most ways. And now I'm having more fun on my 360 than I've ever had on a PC. I'm not a graphic ***** so in all honesty giving up on PC gaming was very easy for me. I was never a fan of the K/M.
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#33 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts
I guess I never really saw that game that would push me into PC Gaming.
DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DireToad
Member since 2006 • 3948 Posts

Forensic-Klown

I have never been a fan of gaming on the PC. I don't really have a compelling reason. Every time I have tried to start, I just get bored and irritated with the whole process.

SpruceCaboose

These posts are fail.
You people talk like installing a PC game takes 3 days and you a manual to do it.
How hard is it to click next and ok a couple of times? How the hell do you handle cell phones or the microwave?

Also, a good gaming PC will be just a good PC in general. You can use it for so many other things than gaming.
angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 angryfodder
Member since 2007 • 20490 Posts

Forensic-Klown

Basically what he said ^^^

I also don't like default mouse and keyboard - IMO its possible THE WORST fps setup in the world.

A console feels like a games machine - you stick in the game, and everything is working like its meant to. When I PC game, it feels like just that - I am using my personal computer to game. It doesn't feel like its 100% made for the task.

Its like "hey you can also play games on me, but its not really what I am here for"

However, that said, RTS is the one game that PC gaming feel right for.

Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ilikemyname420

You people talk like installing a PC game takes 3 days and you a manual to do it.
How hard is it to click next and ok a couple of times? DireToad

Can't you like...you know...make a trainer to do that for me?

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
[QUOTE="crunchUK"]ROFL @ threAD. a) installations = unappealing. B) incompatiility = unappealing C) big money = unappealing d) since when can you have fun with friends on a PC.DireToad

Forensic-Klown

SpruceCaboose

These posts are fail.
How hard is it to click next and ok a couple of times? How the hell do you handle cell phones or the microwave?

Also, a good gaming PC will be just a good PC in general. You can use it for so many other things than gaming.

How is that fail? I never said anything about installation. Quit putting words in my mouth. The "process" I was talking about was gaming on a PC. I don't like it. I tried it. It is not for me.

I know how to install software and patch things. Don't condecend to me, as that was no where near what I was talking about.

Some people like gaming on a PC, I do not. I tried some huge games, and I never finished a single one, and it was not due to the games (for the most part) which to me said something about the appeal of the PC to me.

angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 angryfodder
Member since 2007 • 20490 Posts

These posts are fail.

Also, a good gaming PC will be just a good PC in general. You can use it for so many other things than gaming.DireToad

Well I personally have never installed any games to my microwave. So thus far, running installs on my microwave has not really been an issue.

Maybe this new microwave gaming generation has yet to reach England

OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 OniStrat
Member since 2003 • 1800 Posts
I grew up playing console games, and I think it's more comfortable to play with a controller. I do sometimes play PC games, but not very often. The last game that I played on a PC was Halo. Hehe. I also think that it's too much of a hassle to play PC games. I don't like the fact that you have install games and input a friggin CD-key to play a game. And... I'ts too expensive for me. I'll stick with consoles. =)
dru26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dru26
Member since 2005 • 5505 Posts

I used to play EQ, and then EQ II. I kind of grew tired of playing games in my office, instead of in my living room with the comfort of a couch and home theatre. My wife nor myself really would want a PC tower (in whatever form) in my living room wall unit.

With that said I honestly do not feel like I've been missing much. I don't play RTS games, and I wasn't going to play WoW. Outside of Crysis, the Witcher, and some mods of other games I've owned I don't really feel like I'm missing much. The gap between console and PC is a lot closer then it was in previous generations.

When it comes to games like Gears and Mass Effect, I would honestly rather have the earlier version then have to wait, I'm not patient. Add in achievements, and I really don't see the problem with the 360 versions.

romainsimoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 romainsimoni
Member since 2002 • 1955 Posts
I think I'm more used to play with my consoles instead, to be honest. But I cannot see myself playing a MMORPG like World of Warcraft in console anytime soon. Also, in the wii case, it's pretty obvious.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I just have to say console gaming is casual friendly and is pretty easy to get into/shop for.

If PC gaming does what console gaming does I would be into PC gaming a lot more.

zephyr_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 zephyr_falcon
Member since 2008 • 45 Posts
People who think PC games are never as good looking graphics as consoles are full of bull. I bought a $500 wallmart special that inst anything special (2.0ghz single core, 160gb hard drive, 512mb ram) and dropped 2 1GB ram ($200) and a Nvidia GeForce 7600GT ($120) in it and it's good to go. My PC renders things the XB360 and PS3 couldn't do in their wildest dreams. My PC runs Crysis on High at 1024x768 and doenst even lag. People who think they need to buy $3000 machines don't have a clue. Yes, the PC doesn't have many games come out for it that are EPIC, but they come out later (GoW, ME) and are a thousand times better then their console counter parts. Also, you can play better, and alot better genres on the PC (like RTS, and if you say C&C3 is on the console, you are retarted... C&C should only ever be on PC, console RTS are the worst idea ever). I'm not biased... I have a XB360... but PC gaming is hardly the cult some console gamers seem to have stuck in their mind.
Wartzay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Wartzay
Member since 2006 • 2036 Posts

I don't hate the PC nor do I think that it's the bane of life.

I just can't get into gaming on it, and I don't like many of its big games. It's not that hard to comprehend. Just like some PC guys don't like console gaming, same thing vice versa.

the-very-best

So say in 6 months I have a GTA4 on one hand with the top graphics, best controls, bugs fixed, potentially 100+ player online, free mods and free downloadable content... and on the other hand I have a GTA4 that costs $10 more, doesnt get patched, only 16 player online, muddy graphics, framerate problems. and is also on a console that either is liable to break any second or a console that costs $500 with vew few good exclusive games to play on it etc... and you would take the latter GTA4 just because "you can't get into PC gaming"?

wow.

zephyr_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 zephyr_falcon
Member since 2008 • 45 Posts

I don't have the money to upgrade to a new console let alone a new PC.Ragnarok1051

See above...

TheLordHimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#46 TheLordHimself
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts

I guess my main reasons would be that:

a) My PC sucks and would require mucho upgrading to run modern games.

b) I've never felt comfortable with mouse and keyboard control.

c) My favourite franchises are on consoles.

d) With the exception of Spore, the PC doesn't have any modern exclusives that I would love to play.

I have played some great PC games like Deus Ex and System Shock 2 but I always find myself coming back to consoles. Some people prefer PC, some prefer consoles. Each to their own.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#47 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Not enough games interest me on PC. I'm not a big fan of RTS games and I would rather play shooters with a controller than a KB/M (I know I can use a controller with PC gaming so its not really an excuse, so yeah).

I do really want to play The Witcher and STALKER and mess with mods on games, but a gaming PC isn't in my budget plus the hassle of building one. It may not be expensive to build a PC like people make it seem, but I sure can't afford that right now.

I dont see the point in playing games on the computer,,,,,,or a PC anyway. If MAC's had games, then it would be a different story

Vectah_Sigma

This is true. I own a mac and it would be nice to see some games for it even though I know a mac isn't all too powerful when it comes to games, but some compatibility (like Blizzard has) would be nice.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#48 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26114 Posts
Simple: 1. It's obscenely expensive. 2. You have to worry about system requirements. 3. You have installation before you can play the game. 4. With the obvious exception of FPS and RTS, the keyboard and mouse is not ideal to play games.
DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DireToad
Member since 2006 • 3948 Posts

How is that fail? I never said anything about installation. Quit putting words in my mouth. The "process" I was talking about was gaming on a PC.

SpruceCaboose

lol the "process of gaming on a PC"

What does that even mean? Turning it on and putting the disc inside the drive?
Yeah I could see how consoles are so much better at that.
Ilikemyname420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ilikemyname420

People who think PC games are never as good looking graphics as consoles are full of bull. I bought a $500 wallmart special that inst anything special (2.0ghz single core, 160gb hard drive, 512mb ram) and dropped 2 1GB ram ($200) and a Nvidia GeForce 7600GT ($120) in it and it's good to go. My PC renders things the XB360 and PS3 couldn't do in their wildest dreams. My PC runs Crysis on High at 1024x768 and doenst even lag. People who think they need to buy $3000 machines don't have a clue. Yes, the PC doesn't have many games come out for it that are EPIC, but they come out later (GoW, ME) and are a thousand times better then their console counter parts. Also, you can play better, and alot better genres on the PC (like RTS, and if you say C&C3 is on the console, you are retarted... C&C should only ever be on PC, console RTS are the worst idea ever). I'm not biased... I have a XB360... but PC gaming is hardly the cult some console gamers seem to have stuck in their mind.zephyr_falcon

Fact is you dropped more than $800 and you still got a pretty low-end machine(gaming wise).....and in just a few short months down the road it won't be enough and you'll have to upgrade or put up with med settings in newer games...I mean you're pretty much just scraping by in Crysis right now.