Console + HDTV = PC in terms of price

This topic is locked from further discussion.

honestAB3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 honestAB3
Member since 2006 • 344 Posts

I've heard this argued about many times.

To enjoy HD gaming on your next-gen console you do not need an HDTV, in fact if you are reading this post right now you have one of the two items needed.

Firstly you need a monitor, LCD or CRT works fine. Secondly you need the $40 VGA cable.

I tried this on my LCD 19" BenQ monitor last night and it was stunning. (my monitor was only $180 a year ago in case you are wondering)

I know alot of you knew about this already, but if you were curious as to if it looks good or not, YES it looks amazing.

If you have an Xbox 360 and a PC monitor without an HDTV GET THIS NOW, it makes a HUGE difference.

out0v0rder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 out0v0rder
Member since 2006 • 1994 Posts
bu what about the buh buh buh couch.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#3 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
I wouldn't spend that much money on a PC, because I don't trust them. Windows just doesn't work for the most part.
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
you can get the cable for 12$
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
I've built and linked a PC with the equivalent power of a 360 for 520 bucks. I don't think you can find an HDTV for 120 bucks.
gnutux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 gnutux
Member since 2005 • 1341 Posts
How about I have an XBOX 360 + SDTV? It saves tons of money. The graphics are still as amazing as if I was playing on my 17" monitor (at 1280x1024), and still, I get to play my games on my 23". Which is bigger 23" or 17"? I wonder .... gnutux
honestAB3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 honestAB3
Member since 2006 • 344 Posts
How about I have an XBOX 360 + SDTV? It saves tons of money. The graphics are still as amazing as if I was playing on my 17" monitor (at 1280x1024), and still, I get to play my games on my 23". Which is bigger 23" or 17"? I wonder .... gnutuxgnutux
Your 17" monitor will play your games at an HD resolution in widescreen. The graphics are good on SD, but "as amazing" as doing this setup. So you sacrifice size for visual clarity and detail, and personally playing on my 19" LCD monitor is much more enjoyable then my friends 30 some inch SD tv. But, it is all personal preference, i'm just trying to help people out.
el_rika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 el_rika
Member since 2004 • 3474 Posts
Sadly the PC doesn't get the games that interest most console players so...what gives ?
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Vandalvideo
Sadly the PC doesn't get the games that interest most console players so...what gives ?el_rika
So you're saying the platform with the most high quality titles, most annoucned exclusives, and EVERY SINGLE GENRE represented has NO games that interest console gamers? That i find.....................funny.
Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts
what does that have to do with the topic of the post?
el_rika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 el_rika
Member since 2004 • 3474 Posts

[QUOTE="el_rika"]Sadly the PC doesn't get the games that interest most console players so...what gives ?Vandalvideo
So you're saying the platform with the most high quality titles, most annoucned exclusives, and EVERY SINGLE GENRE represented has NO games that interest console gamers? That i find.....................funny.

What every single genre are you babling about ? :? When PC will get games like Tekken6, VF5, MGS4, DOA4, Heavenly Sword, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, GOW3, Lair, FFXIII, Halo 3, GT5 and countless others, then we'll talk about how the PC gets the games that interest console players.:roll:

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Vandalvideo

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="el_rika"]Sadly the PC doesn't get the games that interest most console players so...what gives ?el_rika

What every single genre are you babling about ? :? When PC will get games like Tekken6, VF5, MGS4, DOA4, Heavenly Sword, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, GOW3, Lair, FFXIII, Halo 3, GT5 and countless others, then we'll talk about how the PC gets the games that interest console players.:roll:

They do have games like them. Just because they don't interest yo doesn't mean they don't exist. We have action-adventure, fighters, and JRPGs. Not to the same extent, but we have them.
Avatar image for SpecialForcesOp
SpecialForcesOp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SpecialForcesOp
Member since 2007 • 1043 Posts

How about I have an XBOX 360 + SDTV? It saves tons of money. The graphics are still as amazing as if I was playing on my 17" monitor (at 1280x1024), and still, I get to play my games on my 23". Which is bigger 23" or 17"? I wonder .... gnutuxgnutux

I rather play on the 17" Screen then have the Graphics look Monkey Turd SD.  

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

To enjoy HD gaming on your next-gen console you do not need an HDTV, in fact if you are reading this post right now you have one of the two items needed.

Firstly you need a monitor, LCD or CRT works fine. Secondly you need the $40 VGA cable.

I tried this on my LCD 19" BenQ monitor last night and it was stunning. (my monitor was only $180 a year ago in case you are wondering)

I know alot of you knew about this already, but if you were curious as to if it looks good or not, YES it looks amazing.

If you have an Xbox 360 and a PC monitor without an HDTV GET THIS NOW, it makes a HUGE difference.

honestAB3

WHat about this?

http://www.play.com/Search.aspx?searchtype=gameall&searchstring=tiberium&page=search&pa=search&go.x=0&go.y=0 

D_Znuhtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 D_Znuhtz
Member since 2004 • 2276 Posts

I've built and linked a PC with the equivalent power of a 360 for 520 bucks. I don't think you can find an HDTV for 120 bucks.Vandalvideo

I'd like to see this link. Include everything too, sick of people listing a mobo/GPU/CPU and RAM like thats all you need to run a computer.  

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Vandalvideo

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]I've built and linked a PC with the equivalent power of a 360 for 520 bucks. I don't think you can find an HDTV for 120 bucks.D_Znuhtz

I'd like to see this link. Include everything too, sick of people listing a mobo/GPU/CPU and RAM like thats all you need to run a computer.  

You'd have to check my posting history. It was in a thread created by someone named Mikasa. It was like three days ago. It had everything required to have a fully functional computer. These were the base specs: P4 3.2 ghz processor 7900GS OC 1gig 566hz corsair ram Asus mobo I included case costs, a disk drive, mouse, and even keyboard.
gnutux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gnutux
Member since 2005 • 1341 Posts

[QUOTE="gnutux"]How about I have an XBOX 360 + SDTV? It saves tons of money. The graphics are still as amazing as if I was playing on my 17" monitor (at 1280x1024), and still, I get to play my games on my 23". Which is bigger 23" or 17"? I wonder .... gnutuxSpecialForcesOp

I rather play on the 17" Screen then have the Graphics look Monkey Turd SD.

I rather not lose my eyes from sitting too close to my monitor for hours while I can get the same clarity on an SDTV with a bigger screen. It's my opinion of course. gnutux
AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AfterShafter
Member since 2002 • 7175 Posts
I've built and linked a PC with the equivalent power of a 360 for 520 bucks. I don't think you can find an HDTV for 120 bucks.Vandalvideo

A PC with equivalent power to the 360...  My laptop is roughly that, and it stutters playing Civ IV.

But oh wait, you're the ultimate die-hard PC fanboy, who wouldn't admit that consoles are a cheaper alternative to play good games if his life depended on it.
Supafly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Supafly1
Member since 2003 • 4441 Posts

bu what about the buh buh buh couch.out0v0rder

The the the the.. chair! 

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]I've built and linked a PC with the equivalent power of a 360 for 520 bucks. I don't think you can find an HDTV for 120 bucks.AfterShafter

A PC with equivalent power to the 360...  My laptop is roughly that, and it stutters playing Civ IV.

But oh wait, you're the ultimate die-hard PC fanboy, who wouldn't admit that consoles are a cheaper alternative to play good games if his life depended on it.

A 7900GS OC, a P4 3.2 ghz processor, and 1 gig of ram are the PC equivalent or rought equiavlent of the 360. If your laptop stutters playing CIV 4 with THAT rig, you have SERIOUS issues.
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]I've built and linked a PC with the equivalent power of a 360 for 520 bucks. I don't think you can find an HDTV for 120 bucks.AfterShafter

A PC with equivalent power to the 360... My laptop is roughly that, and it stutters playing Civ IV.

Mistake #1: Gaming on laptops

Mistake #2: Ignoring the bottom low settings that Xbox360 is running at...

AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AfterShafter
A 7900GS OC, a P4 3.2 ghz processor, and 1 gig of ram are the PC equivalent or rought equiavlent of the 360. If your laptop stutters playing CIV 4 with THAT rig, you have SERIOUS issues.Vandalvideo

My rig is having serious issues?  Well, go figure, that's something that PC's do.  If I don't respond, I've just started running a virus scanner, spyware scanner, and disk defragger, since the system has started chugging.  After that I'll be paying monthly fees for two of these, then looking into a newer, more expensive computer to play the latest PC games which my current PC won't.  After that I may pop a disk into my 360, pick up the controller, and play, just like I'll be able to do from now until the end of the generation.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]A 7900GS OC, a P4 3.2 ghz processor, and 1 gig of ram are the PC equivalent or rought equiavlent of the 360. If your laptop stutters playing CIV 4 with THAT rig, you have SERIOUS issues.AfterShafter

My rig is having serious issues?  Well, go figure, that's something that PC's do.  If I don't respond, I've just started running a virus scanner, spyware scanner, and disk defragger, since the system has started chugging.  After that I'll be paying monthly fees for two of these, then looking into a newer, more expensive computer to play the latest PC games which my current PC won't.  After that I may pop a disk into my 360, pick up the controller, and play, just like I'll be able to do from now until the end of the generation.

Its probably simply that your hardware is dying out because you did something bad with it. Last time i checked, consoles tend to have the same problem. My 360 has failed twice on me, while the running count of times my PC has failed on me is zero. I find that the ammount of times a PC fails is directly proportional to how clueless the owner is.
AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AfterShafter

True_Gamer_

Would you suggest I drag a desktop from country to country as I travel?  I do it with my 360 AND Wii without too much difficulty, but a desktop is another story entirely, seeing as it is significantly larger than both.

Bottom settings?  You want me to crank my settings to bottom on Civ IV?
Educated_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Educated_Gamer
Member since 2007 • 1095 Posts
but you forget- i would normally only spend about $600 on a pc, with gaming it would be in the thousands.  I bought my tv with gaming not really in mind.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="True_Gamer_"]

AfterShafter

Would you suggest I drag a desktop from country to country as I travel?  I do it with my 360 AND Wii without too much difficulty, but a desktop is another story entirely, seeing as it is significantly larger than both.

Bottom settings?  You want me to crank my settings to bottom on Civ IV?

They do offer SVC casses that are smaller than gamecubes. Its a matter of finding one. I used to have one, but my brand got discontinued. Easily portable.
salzdaprinze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 salzdaprinze
Member since 2003 • 766 Posts

Firstly you need a monitor, LCD or CRT works fine. Secondly you need the $40 VGA cable.

I tried this on my LCD 19" BenQ monitor last night and it was stunning. (my monitor was only $180 a year ago in case you are wondering)

I know alot of you knew about this already, but if you were curious as to if it looks good or not, YES it looks amazing.

If you have an Xbox 360 and a PC monitor without an HDTV GET THIS NOW, it makes a HUGE difference.

honestAB3

True, but then that throws out two console arguments with 1) playing on a 50" HDTV instead of a 19" Monitor and 2) playing on the couch far from the monitor and relax.   Anyone who has a console is going to want to play on a big screen.

AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AfterShafter
Its probably simply that your hardware is dying out because you did something bad with it. Last time i checked, consoles tend to have the same problem. My 360 has failed twice on me, while the running count of times my PC has failed on me is zero. I find that the ammount of times a PC fails is directly proportional to how clueless the owner is.Vandalvideo

Did something bad with it?  As in, installed too much software, installed the wrong things, tried to update it and there was some sort of conflict, haven't culled my programs that start up recently enough,

If you're comparing the range of "did something bads" you can do to a console relative to the number you can do to a PC, you're out of your mind.  Consoles essentially lock the user out of the single most significant way of screwing the machine up, which makes it VERY accesible and long lasting for gaming purposes relative to a PC.  If I had a nickel for every one of my friends whom give me a call with a problem on their PC, whom happily game away on their consoles without issue...
AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AfterShafter
They do offer SVC casses that are smaller than gamecubes. Its a matter of finding one. I used to have one, but my brand got discontinued. Easily portable.  Vandalvideo

Didn't you come into this thread bragging about how cheap an XBOX equivalent PC you made?  How much does one of these hard to find units cost, and will you be able to fit that 360 equivalent mobo, graphics card, etc into it?
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Its probably simply that your hardware is dying out because you did something bad with it. Last time i checked, consoles tend to have the same problem. My 360 has failed twice on me, while the running count of times my PC has failed on me is zero. I find that the ammount of times a PC fails is directly proportional to how clueless the owner is.AfterShafter

Did something bad with it?  As in, installed too much software, installed the wrong things, tried to update it and there was some sort of conflict, haven't culled my programs that start up recently enough,

If you're comparing the range of "did something bads" you can do to a console relative to the number you can do to a PC, you're out of your mind.  Consoles essentially lock the user out of the single most significant way of screwing the machine up, which makes it VERY accesible and long lasting for gaming purposes relative to a PC.  If I had a nickel for every one of my friends whom give me a call with a problem on their PC, whom happily game away on their consoles without issue...

*Looks up from sticking his power strip in a sock* One of ten things could happen. Overheating, static discharge, etc. No one ever told me I couldn't stick this power strip in my sock, but I'm going to do it anyway. Why? because I don't know anybetter. If something bad happens to my 360 its the platform's fault for being aboslutely horrible........ Lets see where this logic takes us shall we?
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"] They do offer SVC casses that are smaller than gamecubes. Its a matter of finding one. I used to have one, but my brand got discontinued. Easily portable. AfterShafter

Didn't you come into this thread bragging about how cheap an XBOX equivalent PC you made?  How much does one of these hard to find units cost, and will you be able to fit that 360 equivalent mobo, graphics card, etc into it?

Was just trying to be helpful. The cases are merely a little more expensive. Your average case is around 30, while this one is around 80. So you have to dish out an additional 50 bucks for portability. Not tooo bad I guess.
AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AfterShafter

*Looks up from sticking his power strip in a sock* One of ten things could happen. Overheating, static discharge, etc. No one ever told me I couldn't stick this power strip in my sock, but I'm going to do it anyway. Why? because I don't know anybetter. If something bad happens to my 360 its the platform's fault for being aboslutely horrible........ Lets see where this logic takes us shall we?Vandalvideo

The logic takes us to a point where there are consoles released which are *WAY* harder for a user to screw up than it is to screw up a gaming PC, which happens all the time.  Hell, I don't even want to get into what kind of hoops I had to jump through to get the original AvP running on this laptop I'm on right now...

And that $520 price tag you initially brought up, pure fantasy for your average PC user who could easily run a 360, PS3, or Wii.  You expect them to go to a variety of web sites, order in just the right parts, then get them all and assemble them?  Yeah, casual users are going to be able to do that, and just as easily as firing up a gaming console.

Or wait, maybe you'll say "There's always PC geeks" or whatever that website was you recommended last time we spoke... Which I took a look at and found out that most of their services ran for over a hundred dollars, sometimes just for phone support.

As a PC gamer of several decades, it is *painfully obvious* that PC gaming is not as cheap or easy as console gaming is.  It has HUGE advantages, but also notable disadvantages, which you just cannot seem to admit.

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
If pc gaming doesn't suck in terms of multiplayer games, it might stand a chance against consoles.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Vandalvideo

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"] *Looks up from sticking his power strip in a sock* One of ten things could happen. Overheating, static discharge, etc. No one ever told me I couldn't stick this power strip in my sock, but I'm going to do it anyway. Why? because I don't know anybetter. If something bad happens to my 360 its the platform's fault for being aboslutely horrible........ Lets see where this logic takes us shall we?AfterShafter

The logic takes us to a point where there are consoles released which are *WAY* harder for a user to screw up than it is to screw up a gaming PC, which happens all the time.  Hell, I don't even want to get into what kind of hoops I had to jump through to get the original AvP running on this laptop I'm on right now...

And that $520 price tag you initially brought up, pure fantasy for your average PC user who could easily run a 360, PS3, or Wii.  You expect them to go to a variety of web sites, order in just the right parts, then get them all and assemble them?  Yeah, casual users are going to be able to do that, and just as easily as firing up a gaming console.

Or wait, maybe you'll say "There's always PC geeks" or whatever that website was you recommended last time we spoke... Which I took a look at and found out that most of their services ran for over a hundred dollars, sometimes just for phone support.

As a PC gamer of several decades, it is *painfully obvious* that PC gaming is not as cheap or easy as console gaming is.  It has HUGE advantages, but also notable disadvantages, which you just cannot seem to admit.

That is what Geek Squad is for. I included, in a later forecast, the price for them to recommend and assemble it. Only 60 dollars more. Tadah, 580 and accesible to everyone. Never the less, ignorance is a poor excuse for a platform messing up. I've NEVER once had a PC up on me. Now that they have automated troubleshooting software its a thing of the past. However, there was NOTHIGN i could do when my 360 broke down. NOTHING. Atleast the PC gives you the power to fix the problem.
D_Znuhtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 D_Znuhtz
[QUOTE="D_Znuhtz"]

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]I've built and linked a PC with the equivalent power of a 360 for 520 bucks. I don't think you can find an HDTV for 120 bucks.Vandalvideo

You'd have to check my posting history. It was in a thread created by someone named Mikasa. It was like three days ago. It had everything required to have a fully functional computer. These were the base specs: P4 3.2 ghz processor 7900GS OC 1gig 566hz corsair ram Asus mobo I included case costs, a disk drive, mouse, and even keyboard.

HDD? OS? Router? Wi-fi? Soundcard? Who actually plays with the cheap onboard card they give you. Card reader, if we're being really nitpicky. PSU? There are so many components to a PC its crazy. I built mine last year and the receipt stretched all the way down a page. Most people list like 5 or 6 things. You'll be driving right back to the store for all the stuff you forgot. 

D_Znuhtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 D_Znuhtz

[QUOTE="AfterShafter"][QUOTE="Vandalvideo"] They do offer SVC casses that are smaller than gamecubes. Its a matter of finding one. I used to have one, but my brand got discontinued. Easily portable. Vandalvideo

Didn't you come into this thread bragging about how cheap an XBOX equivalent PC you made? How much does one of these hard to find units cost, and will you be able to fit that 360 equivalent mobo, graphics card, etc into it?

Was just trying to be helpful. The cases are merely a little more expensive. Your average case is around 30, while this one is around 80. So you have to dish out an additional 50 bucks for portability. Not tooo bad I guess.

$50 is a lot when you have a total window of $520 to work with.

Every one of you that says he can build a sub-600 computer, to a man, excludes the fine print or glosses over certain things. You know that nobody will buy the absolute cheapest component they can, regardless of quality. You tend to exclude things like soundcards because they always have a built-in one. A built-in soundcard does not compare to the soundcard in the 360 or PS3, which is the point of building one. You never include an OS, even though an infinitesimal percentage of users actually use a free OS like Linux, and Linux will NOT be easily able to run most of the upcoming "Games for Windows (GRR!)" crap they are releasing, while your XBOX or PS3 OS will always be able to run everything released for it. If you're comparing it to a PS3, you also need to include Wi-fi capability. Not a big deal, but thats probably $40 nobody includes, which is also a big chunk of a small number like $520. 

The fact is, you cannot get a computer that is honestly on par with a 360 or PS3 for $520. No amount of bargain hunting will get you every single component you need to do everything the consoles can, with comparable quality. If you buy the POS no-name versions of everything you will be shelling out to replace parts long before my consoles ever **** themselves. 

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts
[QUOTE="True_Gamer_"]

AfterShafter

Would you suggest I drag a desktop from country to country as I travel? I do it with my 360 AND Wii without too much difficulty, but a desktop is another story entirely, seeing as it is significantly larger than both.

Bottom settings? You want me to crank my settings to bottom on Civ IV?

Civ 4 will stutter on any computer, and any console, when you have most of the nations with the world covered, do you know how many actions change per turn? That lag has nothing to do with the Graphics , thats purely the ammount of CPU load the game goes through when a large scale game nearing the end does .... CiV 4 is the most craptastic comparison you could of used, cause a console would limit it 10-fold. 

hongkingkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 hongkingkong
Member since 2006 • 9368 Posts
don't threat, if people want to waste their time on getting a supposedly superior-in-power-to-pc console *cough ps3 cough*  then let them waste their money, they wouldn't know how to put a pc together anyway.