Console Feature War (not game playing feature) ????

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll Console Feature War (not game playing feature) ???? (22 votes)

NES - Powerpad(accessory)-it give chance for kid to move, but ruin your neighbor. 0%
Genesis - it start HD. It show that it is technology and not toy. 5%
SNES - it introduce us all to the Mouse and productivity. *lead to kid knowing of Doom* 0%
PlayStation - it not a known one. CD player. Stereophile rave about it playback quality. 5%
Saturn - RAM cart. Sega release more memory. Year later people complain about Xbox x. 0%
Nintendo 64 - with Silicons Graphic we have nintendo bringing 64 bits to the world. 14%
PlayStation 2 - Sony release video games on movie discs instead of old carts. Pc follow this trend later. 27%
Xbox - microsoft bring online gaming to the world with intuition of matchmaking. 45%
SNES *2nd time* - nintendo develop and release 1st ever graphic card call Super FX. Pc follow this trend. 5%
Xbox *2nd time* - it can make your own favorite music into the game 0%

It often a feature to sell a console. Nothing compared to old generation but newer than something the competitor say is a reason to buy their console. When the time comes to buy it a decision to factor what features make this console important to you. It always is there but it is not always seen. It sometime discover in a orthodox fashion.

One console one feature to rule all of them.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Kinect. I could at least talk to my Xbox because nobody wants to talk to me in real life. We had a special connection going before the poor thing RROD'd. Buried it in my backyard and said my prayers. Sometimes you just gotta move on.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

PS4 shareplay is pretty cool

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Nintendo DS - PictoChat. It was huge if you were in school around this time.

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 X_Karen_x
Member since 2019 • 501 Posts

@XVision84:

Sometime it like that Radiohead song and it Follow You Around. Hehe my coworker is like that with someone.

I stick to old console. Kinect it didn’t have issue with aiming in peoples houses remember?! Ps4 get hack but before it happen microsoft get in trouble for Kinect privacy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

@x_karen_x: Radiohead makes good music. Creep, karma police, glass eyes. All good :). Haven't listened to follow you around though.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

I like to include the N64 also gave us the Rumble pack feature that was in Star Fox 64 and when it became a hit, Sony & Sega follow this trend to include rumbles in the controllers. I voted N64 not only they gave us Silicons Graphic, they also gave us the Rumble pack feature. (Not sure if the Transfer Pak should be mention but it did let us play Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver on the big screen which was so cool to do)

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15940 Posts

Ps3 - it only does everything

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@davillain-: Not to mention it being the first console to come along with a pack-in controller with modern analog stick.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

NES - Powerpad wasn't a system selling feature. They did save the industry though and had great games.

Genesis - Wasn't HD. What Sega did do well this gen is the following:

• Great games
  • One of the first CD tech systems
  • Played audio CDs
  • First memory card

SNES - Mouse and keyboard were used for gaming on PC way ahead of SNES. Doom was ported but on PC first. SNES did have great games and a good controller.

PS1 - Ok, this one you kinda got right. It was my first CD player. That wasn't a selling point though. It was marketed as a gaming system for more mature gamers and everything they showed made N64 look like a kid's toy. Saturn wasn't seen as much better than N64 because of its price.

Sat - RAM cart or memory card was done on Sega CD but Saturn did have great arcade ports.

N64 - 64 bits... sure. Rarely used with blurry textures and a horrible controller. It still had the great Nintendo lineup and made Zelda 3D which was a hit.

PS2 - A major selling point was DVD. Good job on this one.

Xbox - Dreamcast and even Genesis and SNES had online way before. Even NES was originally going to have online capabilities. Xbox did streamline it though.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

Every console copied the PC on almost every aspect except maybe split screen. I'd choose the ability to split screen with the SNES. Although perhaps there was a game that did split screen before the SNES; I'm just too lazy to google.

EDIT: Oh, this is productivity? Yeah, pretty much nothing.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59069 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Every console copied the PC on almost every aspect except maybe split screen. I'd choose the ability to split screen with the SNES. Although perhaps there was a game that did split screen before the SNES; I'm just too lazy to google.

Objectively false and a starawman argument to begin with. Under the hood, consoles are PC's. The difference is consoles popularize them.

Pc itself has actually contributed very little.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DragonfireXZ95
@uninspiredcup said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Objectively false and a starawman argument to begin with. Under the hood, consoles are PC's. The difference is consoles popularize them.

So, they copied the PC design, yet it's false? Okay. Whatever you say.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59069 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

It's a strawman argument used make PC gaming seem relevant. Completely misguided and off-topic to the point of the thread. You might as well have just typed "look at me".

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DragonfireXZ95
@uninspiredcup said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

It's a strawman argument used make PC gaming seem relevant. Completely misguided and off-topic to the point of the thread. You might as well have just typed "look at me".

Yet, it's true from a productivity standpoint. If you want to talk about games, then there's a few things consoles did first(like the Wii nunchuck interactivity and possibly matchmaking), but not productivity wise.

It copied everything and put in half-ass support. For instance, you can plug a keyboard and mouse into the PS4/Xbox One to surf the web, but there's no word processor. So, in that sense, there's nothing that consoles did that makes them my favorite in terms of productivity.

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 X_Karen_x

@XVision84:

Yes it one of her favorite. Funny you mention these song because I make joke about them with her how she crazy about a guy. I tell her it her action can be see as creepy or what if karma come for you.

If you like these song I think you will like Follow You Around. It not release on a album but it from that era.

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 X_Karen_x

@Telekill:

It the genesis marketing I mean. Sega market it as a technology, not as much as toy. Sound capability and bits it were a big aspect of pushing the console to why it better than Nintendo. On box of Nintendo it just show gameplay as an example. Sega do something different it tell you what is in the hood, like hifi vcr for example. They push it as a cutting edge technology.

For Sony and PlayStation it more a lesser known feature. CD player everyone know it have, but few report it as a nice one where stereophile people mention it in a conversation of quality.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I voted for the N64, but not really for the reason that is listed in the poll. The N64 popualrized lots of great features.

While it's not great compared to the analog sticks of today, for it's time, the N64's analog stick was a godsend for playing 3D games properly. I remember having to play 3D games on the original PS1 controller that only had a d-pad with no analog stick and it was a terrible experience. The N64's analog stick changed the game and made Sony have to later revise their controller to add it as well.

Another area where the N64 changed the game was with the rumble pack feature. It's another feature that every other company had to copy after the N64 popularized it and we still enjoy to this day.

And possibly my favorite feature that the N64 popularized was having four controller ports as a standard feature with no multitap required. This was a huge game changer as it led to four player multiplayer becoming very common which led to the N64 earning it's "party machine" reputation and gave me some of the best gaming experiences of my life playing games like Goldeneye 007, Mario Kart 64, No Mercy, Mario Party, and Super Smash Bros. with a group of friends.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:
@DragonfireXZ95 said:

Troll post. Creating the most popular/biggest ideas, archetype software, and tech is little contribution? Give it a break.

X_Karen_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 X_Karen_x

@zaryia:

In comparison to console it very true. It silly to disagree. It create a market. Graphic card it a result of company seeing untap market for pc. But they see this because of console. In my post I point out first graphic card called Super FX. This is nintendo product not pc product.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@x_karen_x said:

@zaryia:

In comparison to console it very true. It silly to disagree. It create a market. Graphic card it a result of company seeing untap market for pc. But they see this because of console. In my post I point out first graphic card called Super FX. This is nintendo product not pc product.

But to say it contributes "verylittle" when it creates and pioneers most of the "Console features" ideas for the last few gens and hardware/tech for the last few gens is an extreme over exaggeration, and practically a lie. At most you can say it contributes less since it doesn't always help mainstream adoption rates of said features, due to lower popularity in certain markets. So "less" would have been a better and more debatable answer. "Very little" is patently false.

But I know he was trolling from his first line saying, "used make PC gaming seem relevant", which also silly since PC is objectively the most relevant major gaming platform. It has exponentially higher gaming software and gaming hardware revenue, and has by far the most developers and high scoring games, and by far the most gamers.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

I didn't understand the title, questions, or anything about the opening post sorry.

SEGA is the best though.

michaelmikado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 michaelmikado
Member since 2019 • 406 Posts

It’s funny because most gamers have no idea of the impact of ps2 making DVDs mainstream.

Despite DVDs and DVD players being on the market for several years before the PS2, market penetration did not take off and likely would have died without the release and support of the PS2 with over 100 million units sold it became the first DVD player for many households.

https://www.rfidjournal.com/lib/x/a/assets/2015/09/ConsumerElectronics-small.jpg

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

did they get rid of the legacy gaming board?

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

@x_karen_x said:

@XVision84:

Sometime it like that Radiohead song and it Follow You Around. Hehe my coworker is like that with someone.

I stick to old console. Kinect it didn’t have issue with aiming in peoples houses remember?! Ps4 get hack but before it happen microsoft get in trouble for Kinect privacy.

Interesting reference considering "Follow Me Around" hasn't ever been officially released! Yes, it's an amazing song. Probably my favorite iteration was when they used it as an opening for "Everything in it's Right Place" circa 2005-ish?

Okay, erm, gotta keep this on topic... uuuuuh. Yeah, the hard drive in the OG Xbox was a big deal. It cost MS a ton of money, but back in 2001, the internal hard drive was a big deal.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

I don't even own a one, but imo xboxmatchmaking/online, they brought online competitive games to consoles.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

Since xbox has no games, I guess it can only sell with features...

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

PlayStation 3 - Video chat, dynamic themes, custom background, backwards compatible (all PS3s play PS1 games, but the launch PS3’s play PS1 and PS2 games too), crossplay, cross buy, remote play.

PlayStation - Play custom soundtracks in your game. The PS1 was the first to do this for some games, not Xbox.

https://youtu.be/pTJtwmqBXfc

Xbox - First console with a hard drive.

PlayStation 2 - crossplay (PS2-PC), DVD games, backwards compatible.

PlayStation 4- Share button, shareplay, remote play (play all PS4 games that don’t use the camera on vita and some PC and phones),