CNN: Sony Playstation 3 struggles to find support in games console war

• 191 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jazreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jazreal
Member since 2006 • 2736 Posts
quote: Sony's PlayStation 3 could lose the battle of the games consoles, as it struggles to convince independent gaming groups to invest in its technology.

Take-Two's Grand Theft Auto IV for PS3
Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony Worldwide, has admitted that the electronics giant underestimated the support it needed from third-party publishers - companies that make games for Sony, such as Electronic Arts and Ubisoft.

Around 30pc of PS3 games are developed, published and distributed by Sony-owned 'first-party' publishers - such as the racing video game Gran Turismo - leaving the vast majority of games provided by external parties. The long-awaited Grand Theft Auto IV, for example, was launched by independent group Take-Two for both PS3 and Microsoft's Xbox 360.

However, in an interview with a gaming website, Mr Yoshida said: "Sometimes we struggle to convince them (third-party publishers) to put more resources into the PS3."

He added: "We know there's a lot more that we can do, and with the massive growth of the industry we understand that third party publishers have so many choices, many more than they have resources."

advertisement
Sony's biggest rival consoles are Microsoft's Xbox and the Nintendo Wii, which have provided fierce competition ever since the botched launch of the PS3 last year.

Technical problems delayed the launch by six months, putting it behind the release of Microsoft's Xbox.

In an attempt to dismiss the overwhelming success of the Xbox launch compared with that of the PS3, Mr Yoshida told GamesIndustry.biz: "Because the 360 hardware was out earlier, the games were built based on 360 architecture. But still, they must have been planning to...release (the PS3 game) at the same time with the same quality. So they massively underestimated the effort that was needed to re-architect the game to property take advantage of the PS3's multi-core architecture."

However, the group expects its Blu-ray technology to boost investment in PS3 gaming. Sony's Blu-ray technology beat Toshiba's HD-DVD disc in the war over the next-generation DVD format earlier this year.

He said: "Timing-wise the unfortunate situation for the PS3 was that it didn't come out after a few years of the Blu-ray learning curve...so we had massive amounts of work to do and that really hit the profitability of the company.

"We tried as much as possible not to pass that cost on to consumers, but we do feel that the early adapters of the PS3 are getting good value (with the integrated Blu-ray)".

In an earlier interview, Mr Yoshida said that initially, the PlayStation project was not taken seriously by the gaming industry, due to the failed attempts of other electronics companies to get into gaming.

"It's impossible to bring the level of support that we feel is important for the PlayStation 3 platform without the third parties' continued support", he admitted.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2008/06/17/bcnsony117.xml

This is what happens when you have a group of people who instead of listening to what the customer wants try and tell the customer what they want. A chimp could have done a better job.

DireToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DireToad
Member since 2006 • 3948 Posts
A chimp could have done a better job.jazreal

Why aren't you doing it then?
mingo123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mingo123
Member since 2007 • 9005 Posts

[QUOTE="jazreal"]A chimp could have done a better job.DireToad

Why aren't you doing it then?

that made me LOL hard

EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts
I think they are doing fine
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts
lol @ cows thinking MGS4 saved the PS3 :)
Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 Kez1984
Member since 2007 • 4548 Posts
Cnn is like getting the news from someone with learning difficulty's who sensationalizes everything with there hyper activity disorder.
beckhambender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 beckhambender
Member since 2007 • 793 Posts

lol @ cows thinking MGS4 saved the PS3 :)3picuri3

lol @ jealousy over not being able to play MGS4 :)

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 3picuri3

Cnn is like getting the news from someone with learning difficulty's who sensationalizes everything with there hyper activity disorder.Kez1984

that's fox. if you READ that article it's actually full of direct quotes from execs and little spin. nice try though.

dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dhjohns
Member since 2003 • 5105 Posts

Cnn is like getting the news from someone with learning difficulty's who sensationalizes everything with there hyper activity disorder.Kez1984

Umm no that is Fox News. ;)

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 3picuri3

[QUOTE="3picuri3"]lol @ cows thinking MGS4 saved the PS3 :)beckhambender

lol @ jealousy over not being able to play MGS4 :)

sorry mate, friend has a PS3 :) i had one too but sold it. i still get my fix at his place though, and that's fine by me. don't like MGS too much to be honest, but it can be fun watching him play it sometimes... when the stupid cutscenes aren't going that is.

jbz7890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jbz7890
Member since 2004 • 786 Posts

Damage Control.

He refuses to admit that the PS3 has weaker hardware and instead gives the lame excuse that "developers aren't taking advantage of the PS3's power." I think after two years it would be apparent to him that the PS3 is not the supermachine he dreamed of.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts
When is cnn a reliable source for gaming?>
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 3picuri3

this is so sweet because its the president of Sony worldwide - no cows can cry 'b-b-b-but teh bias'.

this will continue I think and soon PS3 will only have a handful of non-first part non-multiplat games because nobody wants to waste their time / lose their money :P

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 3picuri3

When is cnn a reliable source for gaming?>Animal-Mother

did you read it? lmao. its an interview with Shuhei Yoshida. silly cow.

it is SONY saying this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

This is what happens when you have a group of people who instead of listening to what the customer wants try and tell the customer what they want. A chimp could have done a better job.

jazreal

Last I checked the PS3 is outselling the 360 world wide, and has outsold the 360 in its main market (NA) for 4 of the last 5 months.

But I guess that has nothing to do with what consumers want.

Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Hoobinator
Member since 2006 • 6899 Posts
I am of the belief that mainstream news media should really not report on videogame matters. I'd prefer people who didn't have a clue not to report on matters they think they do. Just practice some self censorship , they're good at doing that. ;)
Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kez1984
oops.
Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

Damage Control.

He refuses to admit that the PS3 has weaker hardware and instead gives the lame excuse that "developers aren't taking advantage of the PS3's power." I think after two years it would be apparent to him that the PS3 is not the supermachine he dreamed of.

jbz7890

I think it would be apparant that developers trying to make quick ports of 360 games for the last two years result in crap.

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 3picuri3
[QUOTE="3picuri3"]

[QUOTE="Kez1984"]Cnn is like getting the news from someone with learning difficulty's who sensationalizes everything with there hyper activity disorder.Kez1984

that's fox. if you READ that article it's actually full of direct quotes from execs and little spin. nice try though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNO6G4ApJQY

The select quotes with fluff around it?

Check out that fantastic reporting from CNN, evil music, lulz and exploding trucks, three's a direct interview with a blanked out hacker lolz killer with a cool voice over.

wow. um. try harder?

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Kez1984
PS3 gaming is dying.
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 3picuri3
[QUOTE="jazreal"]

ZIMdoom

Last I checked the PS3 is outselling the 360 world wide, and has outsold the 360 in its main market (NA) for 4 of the last 5 months.

But I guess that has nothing to do with what consumers want.

what does that have to do with the dearth of 3rd party exclusive titles? and the numerous ones that have recently been cancelled. PS3 is a money pit, the type that eat money, not hold money, lol. nobody want to develop for them but the hardcore and those sony pay :P

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 3picuri3

I am of the belief that mainstream news media should really not report on videogame matters. I'd prefer people who didn't have a clue not to report on matters they think they do. Just practice some self censorship , they're good at doing that. ;)Hoobinator

aww. someone else didn't notice its an INTERVIEW with Shuhei Yoshida from SONY!!!!.

please, some of you are really embarassing yourselves :P

jbz7890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jbz7890
Member since 2004 • 786 Posts
[QUOTE="jbz7890"]

Damage Control.

ZIMdoom

I think it would be apparant that developers trying to make quick ports of 360 games for the last two years result in crap.

Was GTA4 a quick port? They delayed it over half a year to work on the PS3 version and they could only get it to run 620p with 0x AA while the xbox 360 does 720p with 2x AA

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Animal-Mother

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]When is cnn a reliable source for gaming?>3picuri3

it is SONY saying this.

nahh i based what i wrote off the title topic, so ohh and im not a cow

heres a picture of my 360 before it broke

http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk249/Bigcrash5/?action=view¤t=0526080026.jpg

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 3picuri3
[QUOTE="ZIMdoom"][QUOTE="jbz7890"]

Damage Control.

jbz7890

Was GTA4 a quick port? They delayed it over half a year to work on the PS3 version and they could only get it to run 620p with 0x AA while the xbox 360 does 720p with 2x AA

should know by now thats just one of the many excuses in the cows bag of excuses :)

ff7isnumbaone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 ff7isnumbaone
Member since 2005 • 5352 Posts
cnn? shouldn't they be focusing on gas prices and war overseas.
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 3picuri3
[QUOTE="3picuri3"]

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]When is cnn a reliable source for gaming?>Animal-Mother

it is SONY saying this.

http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk249/Bigcrash5/?action=view¤t=0526080026.jpg

fair enough - it's still an interview with Shuhei Yoshida from Sony Worldwide, and like a dozen cows started DC without even reading it. Priceless :).

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 3picuri3

cnn? shouldn't they be focusing on gas prices and war overseas.ff7isnumbaone

another one, lmao! um, the world news crew handles that, electronics / entertainment work on other stories. its called journalism, and its more diverse than you think. not everyone covers everything, people have things called assignments based on their experience and repetoire.

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Kez1984

After dropping out of Harvard University[1] Newell spent thirteen years working for Microsoft Corporation, ultimately becoming a "Microsoft Millionaire." Newell has described himself as "producer on the first three releases of Windows".[2] Inspired by Michael Abrash, who left Microsoft to work on the Quake game at id Software, Newell and another Microsoft employee Mike Harrington left Microsoft to found Valve in 1996.[2] He and Harrington used their money to fund Valve through the development of Half-Life. During production on Half-Life 2, he spent several months focusing on the Steam project.[3] Gabe is notorious for expressing his displeasure for the Playstation 3 on numerous occasions, having stated that it is "a waste of everybody's time"[4] and "A disaster on many levels" and that "I'd say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a do over. Just say, 'This was a horrible disaster and we're sorry and we're going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it"[5]. Because Valve did not want to handle the port of the The Orange Box from the Xbox 360/PC version to the Playstation 3 version, the project was given to EA, resulting in a sub-par Playstation 3 experience according to several previews.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabe_Newell

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

it is SONY saying this.

i could bring up and interview with Kojima or dozens of other devs that beg to differ, but that doesnt make it any more true :|

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Animal-Mother
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="3picuri3"]

it is SONY saying this.

fair enough - it's still an interview with Shuhei Yoshida from Sony Worldwide, and like a dozen cows started DC without even reading it. Priceless :).

see i guess like i said i based what i wrote off of the title, and i mean i've owned both systems and have played the multiplats and i have to say as much hate as the ps3 gets for its hardware and psn it's fine, i think the real problem is they need to start pumping out more games like the ps2 though i highly doubt it'll ever happen

darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts

"In an attempt to dismiss the overwhelming success of the Xbox launch compared with that of the PS3"

I stopped reading right there........that is false. PS3's launch was nearly identical to X360's.......if by overwhelming success they mean it matched PS3's, then they are correct. Both consoles sold at the same rate from when they launched. The fact they can't grasp that saying the PS3 failed and not say the X360 has failed is a little biased tbh. The only winner so far is Nintendo where they have lapped the competition and then some.

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 3picuri3

this article isn't about Gabe. man, i'm literally rotflmao at this, hahahaha :)

its an interview with Shuhei Yoshida from Sony Worldwide!!!!! open your eyes!

excelR83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 excelR83
Member since 2003 • 2932 Posts

I think it's funny that whenever the PS3 starts to do well and sell or get some support, good reviews etc., the mainstream media suddenly runs a piece about how it will lose and how poorly it's doing etc.

I'm also loving all the sour grapes from people that let their pride and ignorance get in the way of playing Metal God Solid (10/10 GS/IGN!). No I mean really. Sour grapes have never been this delicious.

darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts
[QUOTE="ZIMdoom"][QUOTE="jbz7890"]

Damage Control.

jbz7890

Yet reviewers stated time and time again the PS3 visuals were better/more appealing than X360's.....imagine that.

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 3picuri3

oh man you guys are priceless - you keep me in laughs free of charge :) i'll bookmark this to check later at how many ignorant posters chimed in without realizing who the article interviewed and what it was about, lol.

reading comprehension ftw :P

sireclaborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sireclaborn
Member since 2008 • 1305 Posts

Damage Control.

jbz7890

mgs4 show that the ps3 has superior hardware. i don't know if you played it but that game could not be played on the 360. if it could im sure that kojima would of put it on the 360 the same time the ps3 version came out. basically he says it in the game and over a year ago he said the 360 was a dvd while calling the ps3 a theatre. plus 2 years into any console life your not going to get the best looking graphics or max them out. mgs4 is the beginning just think what games will look like in a couple of years. it was the same for the ps2.

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 3picuri3
[QUOTE="jbz7890"][QUOTE="ZIMdoom"][QUOTE="jbz7890"]

Damage Control.

darthogre

Yet reviewers stated time and time again the PS3 visuals were better/more appealing than X360's.....imagine that.

no they didn't, we went over this in another thread. there were more people citing 360 as better, people actually brought in quotes. was only like 2 major publications that said PS3.. and since then there have been numerous video and screen comparisons that show the extra AA and draw distance on the 360 :)

humber_matus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 humber_matus
Member since 2007 • 2101 Posts
hurry all!, we gotta go to CNN for our gaming news!
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 3picuri3
[QUOTE="jbz7890"]

Damage Control.

sireclaborn

mgs4 show that the ps3 has superior hardware. i don't know if you played it but that game could not be played on the 360. if it could im sure that kojima would of put it on the 360 the same time the ps3 version came out. basically he says it in the game and over a year ago he said the 360 was a dvd while calling the ps3 a theatre. plus 2 years into any console life your not going to get the best looking graphics or max them out. mgs4 is the beginning just think what games will look like in a couple of years. it was the same for the ps2.

lolz, with MGS4 sub-HD resolution? and hideo having to use lower res textures and closed environments even though it contradicted his vision? it might like nice in motion, but they used a lot of 'magic' to make it look like that.

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#42 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts

PS3 gaming is dying. Kez1984

Sarcasim? Because if not you obviously hid under a rock last week.

excelR83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 excelR83

Another thing... why is the media allowed to ignore facts?

How can you possibly call the 360's launch an "overwhelming success" when it was identical to the PS3's launch in it's trajectory, plus it had a better launch lineup and Microsoft's disgustingly pervasive marketing team behind it.

How can they ignore that it has outsold the 360 worldwide consistently since it's release? These are not opinions, maybes and what have yous, they are facts. Cold hard numerical data clearly showing that the PS3 has sold better than the 360 since it was released. How can one be a monumental success and one an unmitigated disaster? The old adage "you can't believe everything you read" has never been more true. Journalistic integrity and a media's obligation to the public are gone. It's big business now. It's ratings. It's 1000000/yr salaried anchormen being scooped by fat idiots with a blog and they have to compete. Sensationalism always sells.

Aaaaand again, I'm depressed. Thank you SW, you never disappoint.

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 3picuri3

[QUOTE="Kez1984"]PS3 gaming is dying. carljohnson3456

Sarcasim? Because if not you obviously hid under a rock last week.

early sales reporting indicates MGS4 sold below analyst expectations. it's a great game, but it's not doing much to sell systems.

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Kez1984

If I say too much, Mr. Kutaragi might get really upset. I think that the PS3 is difficult to work with, but so was the PS2... I do have strong interest in creating something for the Xbox 360. In the US and Europe, it is selling, and I think it will sell a lot this year as well. I'm a fan of Gears of War as well, it's very interesting. Frankly speaking, I want to create something on the PC. It's a multi-platform [format]. I've been regularly studying work on the PC anyways, and I want to provide something as a world-wide platform because of the consequences with timing on the PlayStation platforms, MGS4 is actually for the PS3 only so far. ...But our staff, especially the younger ones, don't so much like to work on the PC. If it was PC, we don't have to go into some crappy things with the first parties (Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo).

http://kotaku.com/gaming/kojima/kojima-really-wants-to-make-pc-games-230283.php

Your doomed.

excelR83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 excelR83
[QUOTE="sireclaborn"][QUOTE="jbz7890"]

Damage Control.

3picuri3

lolz, with MGS4 sub-HD resolution? and hideo having to use lower res textures and closed environments even though it contradicted his vision? it might like nice in motion, but they used a lot of 'magic' to make it look like that.

Oh man is it ever satisfying knowing you will never play MGS4. Just knowing that a game that great will come and go without you ever getting to enjoy it makes all the brain matter I've lost on this board worth it.

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Kez1984

[QUOTE="Kez1984"]PS3 gaming is dying. carljohnson3456

Sarcasim?

Pc gaming is dying as well. We are all dying.

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 3picuri3

Another thing... why is the media allowed to ignore facts?

How can you possibly call the 360's launch an "overwhelming success" when it was identical to the PS3's launch in it's trajectory, plus it had a better launch lineup and Microsoft's disgustingly pervasive marketing team behind it.

How can they ignore that it has outsold the 360 worldwide consistently since it's release? These are not opinions, maybes and what have yous, they are facts. Cold hard numerical data clearly showing that the PS3 has sold better than the 360 since it was released. How can one be a monumental success and one an unmitigated disaster? The old adage "you can't believe everything you read" has never been more true. Journalistic integrity and a media's obligation to the public are gone. It's big business now. It's ratings. It's 1000000/yr salaried anchormen being scooped by fat idiots with a blog and they have to compete. Sensationalism always sells.

Aaaaand again, I'm depressed. Thank you SW, you never disappoint.

excelR83

because it wasn't and many cows have convinced you it was. and a lot of what they're referring to is related to expecations. nobody expected last gens winner to lag behind like it has so far. i mean seriously, the next 2-3 hyped titles for the PS3 were announced at launch. what happens after they come out? whats on the horizon? it's nothing like the PS2, PS2 had TOO many games at times. PS3 games are like vacation time, you're lucky if you get one you like once a year.

3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 3picuri3
[QUOTE="3picuri3"][QUOTE="sireclaborn"][QUOTE="jbz7890"]

Damage Control.

excelR83

Oh man is it ever satisfying knowing you will never play MGS4. Just knowing that a game that great will come and go without you ever getting to enjoy it makes all the brain matter I've lost on this board worth it.

don't get too satisfied, i've seen my friend beat it, and i have played it. not my cup of tea, but MGS never has been. to corny and hokey for me.. like a chees anime film. but to each their own.

i was more commenting on the game doing well DESPITE the hardware. it speaks to Kojima's brilliance / his teams. the game still looks good, and runs relatively well, despite him having to deal with bottlenecks on the PS3 - even when they had to make it 1024x768, which isn't HD.

and here's some bad news - if Hideo can't bring you great looking gaming in HD on the PS3.... nobody can. it WONT happen. the high water mark has been made imo.

excelR83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 excelR83

http://kotaku.com/gaming/kojima/kojima-really-wants-to-make-pc-games-230283.php

Your doomed.

Kez1984

Lolz January 2007?

You get what you pay for, and when you do a 2 second Google search to slander the PS3, you get an 18-month-old article that has no relevance to the topic at hand.

Pat yourself on the back... oops I mean slap yourself in the face.