Cerny confirms dedicated audio processor in PS4

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

So much for the argument that XBone dedicated audio chip am secret sauce..

http://www.vgleaks.com/playstation-4-audio-processor-acp/

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Shewgenja

Who know if actually the PS4 one perform better,since the lemming new master Bkillian say that shape was mostly for Kinect and only a small part can be use for developers..:lol:

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts
do consoles not already do this anyway? not like some major ownage is it.
inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

erm, duh, this was confirmed from day 1 about a dedicated audio processor in PS4. I believe there is also a dedicated low power CPU for downloads too.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

lol

damn. just a colossal win for ps4 here. what a titan. 

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

do consoles not already do this anyway? not like some major ownage is it.razgriz_101

I don't think they do currently, normally it is all done in the standard CPU in consoles. It would be very minor ownage if one did and the other didn't. But both have it it would seem so...

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts
do consoles not already do this anyway? not like some major ownage is it.razgriz_101
It's not particularly ownage. It's more like a de-ownage, if you thought audio code was particularly heavy to begin with, which it's not. This DSP takes out whatever lift was really in it, though.
RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts

I'm an xboner and have been massively owned!

EDIT: I meant DE-OWNED. :lol:

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts
[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]do consoles not already do this anyway? not like some major ownage is it.Shewgenja
It's not particularly ownage. It's more like a de-ownage, if you thought audio code was particularly heavy to begin with, which it's not. This DSP takes out whatever lift was really in it, though.

thing is though sunshine nobody has ever brought it up really and not to mention its like a key component of a console hell the whole DSP goes back to when dinosaurs like the megadrive ruled the lands. and actually gonna stop you there, it depends on the codec, what you are doing with the sound and various other things.Sound is not always a light thing in terms of processing.Recording for example to a decent standards needs a decent platform to run it on.
Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

I'm an xboner and have been massively owned!RoslindaleOne

awesome post. modesty, humility - these are my favorites. 

im actually really modest myself. i brag about it all the time. 

LA-Nighthawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LA-Nighthawk
Member since 2013 • 335 Posts
What does that mean? It has an audio processor, how in the hell is that impressive?
FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts
What does that mean? It has an audio processor, how in the hell is that impressive?LA-Nighthawk
The PS4 will have sound. Confirmed.
soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
What does that mean? It has an audio processor, how in the hell is that impressive?LA-Nighthawk
It frees up a bit of the CPU (or whatever does the sound) to be used or other things, since it doesn't have to process the sound. It's nothing absolutely major, but this place is stupid.
TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheKingIAm
Member since 2013 • 1531 Posts
The 360 and ps3 dont have dedicated audio processors
LA-Nighthawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LA-Nighthawk
Member since 2013 • 335 Posts
[QUOTE="LA-Nighthawk"]What does that mean? It has an audio processor, how in the hell is that impressive?TheKingIAm
The 360 and ps3 dont have dedicated audio processors

I'd rather have dedicated servers than dedicated audio processors. :cool:
greensand24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 greensand24
Member since 2011 • 457 Posts
It's not impressive if its a generic processor. It's just Phony talking crap trying to stay relevant in the media with the psBore. Ms talks about SHAPE; Sony runs like a child hey look at me. I have it too. I doubt that its even on the same level as XOne's SHAPE so this news does nothing for me. It's just funny to see Phony do this. They act so scared sometimes lol. Also lol at fanboys thinking this is ownage.
RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

Meh I have a soundcard in my PC.

There is nothing special about a dedicated audio processor.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
This is sooo old, congrats shew on your irrelevancy :lol:
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Claiming ownage with dedicated audio processors? :? What happened to you guys? 

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52449 Posts
[QUOTE="LA-Nighthawk"]What does that mean? It has an audio processor, how in the hell is that impressive?soulitane
It frees up a bit of the CPU (or whatever does the sound) to be used or other things, since it doesn't have to process the sound. It's nothing absolutely major, but this place is stupid.

WHOA
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50633 Posts

Just give me uncompressed or DolbyHD/DTS Master in games and I'm happy

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#22 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]do consoles not already do this anyway? not like some major ownage is it._Matt_

I don't think they do currently, normally it is all done in the standard CPU in consoles. It would be very minor ownage if one did and the other didn't. But both have it it would seem so...

Yes, it's not ownage, but its being brought up because certain lems were trying to claim it as a megaton for x1 having a dedicated audio processor. Of course those same lems will take any small shred of something good for xbone and claim megaton lol.
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Midnightshade29
Funny, but not surprising that lems in this thread are bad mouthing this and saying Sony fans are claiming this as ownage. It's so messed up that these same lems were all hyping up xbone having a dedicated audio processor, but they won't admit that it nulls any advantage to either. Infant one lem is even damage controlling to the point of insults and saying the xbone has a better one... Wow that's so e severe dc.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

I think it might be "ownage" if one console had it and another didn't, if only becuase the CPU's on these thigns are so weaksauce, that NOT having a dedicated audio processor would mean using up precious resources on these CPU's, most of which ALREADY have cut down performance due to MS and Sony locking out cores/performance out in order to accomodate the OS.

On PC, this doesn't matter much, since CPU's are so much more powerful. At the same time, it looks like AMD is pushing for a new audio processing engine in their cards. Not sure how much CPU it would save, but sounds cool, and it might stem form the work they did on the consoles.

UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 UNcartMe
Member since 2011 • 725 Posts
Funny, but not surprising that lems in this thread are bad mouthing this and saying Sony fans are claiming this as ownage. It's so messed up that these same lems were all hyping up xbone having a dedicated audio processor, but they won't admit that it nulls any advantage to either. Infant one lem is even damage controlling to the point of insults and saying the xbone has a better one... Wow that's so e severe dc.Midnightshade29
I was thinking the same thing. Before this was confirmed, lems were claiming ownage because they thought the PS4 didn't have a dedicated audio processor. Now they are acting like what...we never said that. Classic lems
StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

Im pretty sure its been known since day one that ALL THREE of the consoles (including Wii U) have dedicated audio DSPs :|

Deevoshun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Deevoshun
Member since 2003 • 868 Posts

Did some believe that the PS4 didn't have one?  I know the big deal about XBox One's audio processor is that is a very VERY sophisticated piece of hardware.  Something in the range of 500+ streams of audio, but all this also boils down to the end users set-up.  I bet the majority don't have 7.1 and even less proper equipment for 5.1.  By proper I mean high quality equipment so you can tell the difference, not some cheap 5.1 theater-in-one package.  

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Chutebox

Did some believe that the PS4 didn't have one?  I know the big deal about XBox One's audio processor is that is a very VERY sophisticated piece of hardware.  Something in the range of 500+ streams of audio, but all this also boils down to the end users set-up.  I bet the majority don't have 7.1 and even less proper equipment for 5.1.  By proper I mean high quality equipment so you can tell the difference, not some cheap 5.1 theater-in-one package.  

Deevoshun
I have a9.2!
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Known for months.

Kaz_Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Kaz_Son
Member since 2013 • 1389 Posts
TLHBO.
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
Wtf do dedicated audio processors do?
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Chutebox

Wtf do dedicated audio processors do?Capitan_Kid
Process audio? **** if I know.

Shensolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Shensolidus
Member since 2003 • 931 Posts

Someone already brought it up but, Bkillian over at B3D came out and said that SHAPE was in fact doing mostly audio processing for the Microphone Array in the Kinect on the X1... He isn't wrong. :)

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]Wtf do dedicated audio processors do?Chutebox

Process audio? **** if I know.

They take tasks away from the CPU. They are more effcient with those tasks.

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

Deevoshun
The PS3 could do over 500 audio streams aswell, though since it was on the CPU it probably never fully utlized all that. But I assume Sony can at least match that with the PS4. In my mind you don't really need a big expensive surround setup to notice the difference between good and bad audio quality in games. Mutliplats usually suck compared to PS3 exclusives.
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

poor lems, I remember them hyping up this "exclusive" feature a couple of days ago but now turns out the PS4 had one all along. No secret sauce power advantage for the XBone guys....

CJ_ofCamelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CJ_ofCamelot
Member since 2013 • 2072 Posts
Sorry lemmings
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RR360DD

poor lems, I remember them hyping up this "exclusive" feature a couple of days ago but now turns out the PS4 had one all along. No secret sauce power advantage for the XBone guys....

Gue1

Nope, we've know the PS4 has a dedicated audio processor since the reveal.

Damn, even when it comes to the PS4, cows are still late to the party :lol:

NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
Didn't we know this stuff already?
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Chutebox

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

RR360DD

Full of shit. Lems (At least xboxunity dude) were spouting their dedicated processor for some time.

Correction, he was claiming Xbone's was better.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
Been known since the reveal, but yeah, Sony taking care of us gamers, it's exhilarating. :cool:
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

RR360DD

I'm not talking about cows, I'm talking about lems sarcastically (if you know what sarcasm is?). It only took a single google search to find this: http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29441385/xbox-one-hardware-update.-that-other-thread-is-a-mess?page=6

Go hype your godly audio chip of the XB1. :roll:

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

[QUOTE="_Matt_"]

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]do consoles not already do this anyway? not like some major ownage is it.Midnightshade29

Yes, it's not ownage, but its being brought up because certain lems were trying to claim it as a megaton for x1 having a dedicated audio processor. Of course those same lems will take any small shred of something good for xbone and claim megaton lol.

Cows will take anything good or bad about M$ or the XB1 and bash it to death.

Cows will take anything good or bad about Sony or the PS4 and praise it like it's the 2nd coming of Christ. :roll:

This is why Cows are stupid. :lol:

Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Midnightshade29
[QUOTE="Midnightshade29"]Funny, but not surprising that lems in this thread are bad mouthing this and saying Sony fans are claiming this as ownage. It's so messed up that these same lems were all hyping up xbone having a dedicated audio processor, but they won't admit that it nulls any advantage to either. Infant one lem is even damage controlling to the point of insults and saying the xbone has a better one... Wow that's so e severe dc.UNcartMe
I was thinking the same thing. Before this was confirmed, lems were claiming ownage because they thought the PS4 didn't have a dedicated audio processor. Now they are acting like what...we never said that. Classic lems

I think it might be "ownage" if one console had it and another didn't, if only becuase the CPU's on these thigns are so weaksauce, that NOT having a dedicated audio processor would mean using up precious resources on these CPU's, most of which ALREADY have cut down performance due to MS and Sony locking out cores/performance out in order to accomodate the OS.

On PC, this doesn't matter much, since CPU's are so much more powerful. At the same time, it looks like AMD is pushing for a new audio processing engine in their cards. Not sure how much CPU it would save, but sounds cool, and it might stem form the work they did on the consoles.

Kinthalis
Audio offloaded from CPU was a big deal back when CPUs were single core and sub 500mhz. I remember getting a sound blaster live card and my quake and unreal fps shot up 20fps (had a voodoo 5500 and pentium 2 300mmhz back in 99') but the live card didn't help with frames after haing a p3 or higher.
darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

Shewgenja
only does encoding and decoding. it was added to allow party chat mostly according to what cerny originally said.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#46 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
mha, w/e
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RR360DD

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

Chutebox

Full of shit. Lems (At least xboxunity dude) were spouting their dedicated processor for some time.

Well it is better :cool: Because it has to do more due to Kinect
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Need some more details but doubt it actually means anything.

UNcartMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 UNcartMe
Member since 2011 • 725 Posts
[QUOTE="Chutebox"]

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]Nope, we've know the PS4 has a dedicated audio processor since the reveal.

RR360DD

Well it is better :cool: Because it has to do more due to Kinect

suicide watch confirmed
XBOunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 XBOunity
Member since 2013 • 3837 Posts

Funny, but not surprising that lems in this thread are bad mouthing this and saying Sony fans are claiming this as ownage. It's so messed up that these same lems were all hyping up xbone having a dedicated audio processor, but they won't admit that it nulls any advantage to either. Infant one lem is even damage controlling to the point of insults and saying the xbone has a better one... Wow that's so e severe dc.Midnightshade29

Shape and the x1 audio processor are more powerful than ps4 processor.   You can do alot more with shape such as 5.1 to 4 gamepads for sound,  whereas ps4 does stero, you can offload cpu functions for audio instead of using cu's in a gpgpu setup like ps4 will do.  Bkillian has said how powerful shape is.   the xbone has a better audio setup.   So dont make yourself look foolish.  It was never a big deal anyway, but it a nice perk for xbone users.  Shape is a monster.