Can you play RPGs nonstop or do you need a break?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45105 Posts

RPGs take a lot of time and consume a lot of energy. I love me my Xenoblade 2, but it also reminds me of how much time I put into these things. But a good RPG never feels too long. Am I rite, SW? How often can you play RPGs? Do you play them all the time, or do you need breaks in between?

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

I play them pretty regularly and in cases like P5 this year I could play it pretty much every day for my 100+ hrs playthrough. After im done I usually try to pick a game with a little more action to balance it out, but I dont mind playing another one after if I really want to play it

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac2b8b36d9ec
deactivated-5ac2b8b36d9ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5ac2b8b36d9ec
Member since 2017 • 83 Posts

When I was younger I could play RPGs for hours and hours every day for weeks straight, now not so much.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

I really could not as if I play a RPG for a few hours, I will get borded of it because of the grinding. That is why when I am griding for high levels, I play only a few hours a day.

The last RPG I did that was Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story way back in 2009. It took me days of grinding to reach the maximum levels.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I don't play them much anymore. The ones I really like are few and far between these days.

Part of it is the time sink, but a lot of it is what the time sink entails, which is usually a fvck load of padding. A lot of RPGs run out of good ideas and fresh things to do before they hit the 20-30 hr mark, but then have you do the same shit ad nauseam for another 50+ hrs.

I used to be cool with that too, because I'd be in it for the story at that point, but most game stories just don't grab me anymore. And seeing as a lot of RPGs really don't play that well, I'm left with little reason to push on. Ends up feeling like a chore.

As for big games in general, I usually do enjoy a break inbetween. Play some smaller games, hop on some multiplayer games, stuff like that.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

Not anymore for most games

Ill play 2-3 hours then stop for a break, then go back

MMos used to dominate when i was younger, i could sit in front of a monitor for 12 hours no problem

I dont miss those days, i like free time

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#7 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Nah I break. I haven't played the DLC for the Witcher 3 on X1 yet because I needed a break and I'm waiting for the UHD assets

borninblood60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 borninblood60
Member since 2017 • 262 Posts

I can play rpgs for hours but eventually will take a break.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

Any game that requires a huge chunk of my time to go through will usually leave me in a place where I don't want to dive into another equally meaty game right away, be it an RPG or some open world game with a bunch of cookie cutter shit littered around the game to keep one busy for dozens upon dozens of hours. After a huge game, I need a pallet cleanser, something short but sweet.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

If I'm loving one I will play it from start to finish but it's rare I'm only concentrating on one game. I tend to have a few on the go, one deep and serious and a few arcade classics or smaller pick up and play games.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Depends on the game, length(an RPG could be 20 hours, or 80+ hours), and my mood.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34605 Posts

Depends. JRPGs usually have lots of mundane parts, so I can't sit really long with those. Tales of Symphonia on the GC is like the only JRPG that I've really enjoyed. Give me a new Elder Scrolls and I wont see the sun for a week.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I officially put 340 hrs into Fallout 4 according to Steam and loved every minute of it. The time I spent on it is probably a lot more because there were times when I turned off the Steam in-game UI.

STALKER: Call of Pripyat is paced like an RPG. It and the Call of Chernobyl mod have occupied most of my gaming time since summer. Plus, I've added Call of Misery to the two. It looks like my STALKER fix is going to continue into next year. The only thing that will break me away from it is when Far Cry 5 releases.

It's funny because I hated the STALKER series when they released. They were buggy, glitchy, and downright ugly. But, the mod community made them look halfway presentable and a lot less crash-happy. Kudos to them for my current addiction.

I plunked hundred (if not thousands) of hours into the Reset Outpost mode of Far Cry 3. No campaign. Just unrestricted play capturing and recapturing outposts. I played it almost daily, putting in 2-3 hours per session. It occupied so much of my time, I only bought 3 new games in all of 2013 and only finished two of them. It's similar with Far Cry 4, which has the Buzzer. I like flight sims and the Buzzer had me delighted.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

I usually need a break, whenever I pick one I put so many hours of my already though gaming schedule...so whenever I finally finish an RPG, I do need to wait a few months before even thinking to play a new one.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

I'm old now.Take breaks

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#16 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

While working on beating a long RPG I usually switch it up sometimes and play something that's less demanding. After playing FFXII: TZA for hours I usually play like a bullet hell indie game or Infamous: Second Son just to relax

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#17 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@indzman said:

I'm old now.Take breaks

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

I need a break. RPGs tend to be longer than they need to be, with a lot of useless padding. The boredom I get from that makes me hop to other games.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

On weekends I can sometimes put in about a 5 hour session, with a brief middle break of 5 minutes to snack and/or hit the john. But typically over the course of a week I'll play for 2-3 hours on what ever nights are free, to make my progress. Because I always finish what I start for the single player story experience. Going through Divinity OS2 at the moment.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

I can play them consistently. I'll usually put a few hours in here and there, unless it really grips me. I've already put 20 hours or so into Xeno 2.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Well I can play them continually as in focusing on one game at a time or playing one right after the other. However as in playing in some kind of huge marathon of hours at a time then no but that is the same as any other kind of game because I have other things to do in life so I just can’t afford to spend that kind of time gaming.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

I usually have five or so different style RPGs on play, and switch between them depending on the mood.

Some days, it feels good to mess about in mass effect andromeda, other days I just want to go old skool in Oblivion or AC2.

I think two weeks is about as long as I can keep focused on one game, then I need a change of scenery.