Can we finally conclude that Killzone, as a series, has failed to kill Halo?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SHR3DD3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SHR3DD3D
Member since 2011 • 889 Posts

It all started in 2004 when the original Killzone was hyped to be the definitive Halo killer, by cows. They truly believed it was the beginning of something really great and special. We all know how that turned out.

-

So cows pretty much raged, naturally, but kind of swore they would have their revenge with Killzone 2... :|

Nonetheless, time passed by, Killzone 2 was announced, hyped to death--once again--and reviewed. This time, it met the hype-however, it did not outscore Halo 3. So while it was not a gigantic flop, like the original, it did not manage to kill its rival, making it a game nobody argued about too much.

-

Time passed by again, and this time, it was the Return of the King. Killzone 3 was the last chance--the last chance to destroy Halo and be crowned the king of exclusive FPS games on consoles. Reach had scored 9.5, so Killzone 3 needed a 10 to kill it--or at least an AAA score to even compare. What happened ?

:o :o Not only had it failed to kill Halo for the third time--it had flopped for the second time! This merely proved that Bungie are way out of their league when it comes to developing high-quality FPS games. It also proves cows have been incorrect all these years, claiming Killzone would one day top Halo in the "king of console FPS games" department.

And while the Killzone franchise is today seen as a great one--it could historically be seen as a failure, since it has failed its very important mission every single time since 2004.

What do you personally say, is the Killzone series a complete failure for not having killed Halo and become the best, most critically acclaimed and feared FPS game series on consoles?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Who cares, now that Bungie is gone Halo is going to kill itself.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61536 Posts

Wasn't it labelled as the Halo killer by the media initially?

Still, who ever expected it to. Just looking at Halo's sales numbers and the number of people playing online, expecting something different would just be stupid.

SpArKs424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 SpArKs424
Member since 2010 • 2203 Posts

Killzone is all flash and never produced a game as solid as halo sorry to say fanboys . Weak story , Great multiplayer but still idk something about the game i PERSONALLY dont like . and doesnt have the customization halo does so people cant get creative .

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Killzone is all flash and never produced a game as solid as halo sorry to say fanboys . Weak story , Great multiplayer but still idk something about the game i PERSONALLY dont like . and doesnt have the customization halo does so people cant get creative .

SpArKs424

Halo's story isn't exactly praise worthy

inb4thebooksexcuse.

SpArKs424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SpArKs424

Wasn't it labelled as the Halo killer by the media initially?

Still, who ever expected it to. Just looking at Halo's sales numbers and the number of people playing online, expecting something different would just be stupid.

lundy86_4

Yeah it was i remember when Killzone 1 came out G4tv back when it was TECH tv was saying "Gurrilla has a made the so called Halo Killer " Well halo is more than alive lol

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts

Killzone 2 and 3 were more enjoyable than Halo 2 and 3, just sayin'. Scores don't matter anything

SpArKs424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SpArKs424

[QUOTE="SpArKs424"]

jg4xchamp

inb4thebooksexcuse.

only bad installment that wasnt even that bad was ODST and that was just a expansion . all Full halo titles have been quality and are games that last for years. If im not mistaken a year after KZ2 was released it only had around 200-300 active players still on . thats sad to have your community die within a year.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts
I'm not sure why it was ever labelled as a halo killer. They are very different as franchises, only similarity is that they are both FPS games. Halo has done more for Microsoft than Killzone has for Sony though.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61536 Posts

Yeah it was i remember when Killzone 1 came out G4tv back when it was TECH tv was saying "Gurrilla has a made the so called Halo Killer " Well halo is more than alive lol

SpArKs424

So what's the point in debating something the media labelled? Furthermore TC's stating Cows hyped it to be this seems to be off. - though I could be wrong on whether or not Cows fell in line, as I wasn't around then.

Regardless, I find it hard to believe any franchise could truly "kill" another franchise.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="SpArKs424"]

lundy86_4

So what's the point in debating something the media labelled? Furthermore TC's stating Cows hyped it to be this seems to be off. - though I could be wrong on whether or not Cows fell in line, as I wasn't around then.

Regardless, I find it hard to believe any franchise could truly "kill" another franchise.

Some fell into the hype, but it was pretty much all the media. Killzone 2 was hyped far more as the Halo Killer than the original was by fans.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

[QUOTE="SpArKs424"]

SpArKs424

inb4thebooksexcuse.

only bad installment that wasnt even that bad was ODST and that was just a expansion . all Full halo titles have been quality and are games that last for years. If im not mistaken a year after KZ2 was released it only had around 200-300 active players still on . thats sad to have your community die within a year.

Killzone 2 was still pretty much in the thousands(hell it still is, the hell are you getting a hundred from), and Reach's community by Halo standards has dropped off significantly already.

Second I missed the part where Killzone 2 and 3 aren't quality games.

Third I mentioned that all the Halo's tell a weak story. Which they do. The story telling in all of em(well maybe not Combat Evolved) is piss poor, and the plots they do tell are either unfocused(Halo 2) or just end on such a weak note(Halo 3, Reach, ODST). Let's not even get into the stupid retcon Bungie has done in their own games.

iAtrocious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 iAtrocious
Member since 2010 • 1567 Posts

Wasdie

Bungie's the only talented studio there? Good to know.

343 is a bad studio? Good to know.

You can see the future? Good to know.

Halo's not killing itself. It's still the best console shooter, a real shame it's 360 exclusive.

And I don't think anyone ever thought that Killzone would actually kill Halo.

iwasgood2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 iwasgood2u
Member since 2009 • 831 Posts
[QUOTE="SHR3DD3D"]

It all started in 2004 when the original Killzone was hyped to be the definitive Halo killer, by cows. They truly believed it was the beginning of something really great and special. We all know how that turned out.

-

So cows pretty much raged, naturally, but kind of swore they would have their revenge with Killzone 2... :|

Nonetheless, time passed by, Killzone 2 was announced, hyped to death--once again--and reviewed. This time, it met the hype-however, it did not outscore Halo 3. So while it was not a gigantic flop, like the original, it did not manage to kill its rival, making it a game nobody argued about too much.

-

Time passed by again, and this time, it was the Return of the King. Killzone 3 was the last chance--the last chance to destroy Halo and be crowned the king of exclusive FPS games on consoles. Reach had scored 9.5, so Killzone 3 needed a 10 to kill it--or at least an AAA score to even compare. What happened ?

:o :o Not only had it failed to kill Halo for the third time--it had flopped for the second time! This merely proved that Bungie are way out of their league when it comes to developing high-quality FPS games. It also proves cows have been incorrect all these years, claiming Killzone would one day top Halo in the "king of console FPS games" department.

And while the Killzone franchise is today seen as a great one--it could historically be seen as a failure, since it has failed its very important mission every single time since 2004.

What do you personally say, is the Killzone series a complete failure for not having killed Halo and become the best, most critically acclaimed and feared FPS game series on consoles?

also lemmings were claiming halo reach to be the next graphic king to dethrone killzone 2. too bad that never happened so lemmings went back to the scoring board and gameplay for coverup just like this thread.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#15 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Killzone has failed to beat Halo in terms of both popularity and critical acclaim. But I think it's ridiculous to expect so much. People seemed to only really want it too simply because Halo is popular and exclusive to the xbox. However, Call of Duty is the most popular shooter series now, so Halo has been beat in that regard. In terms of critical success, Halo 3 is the highest scoring Halo game of this console generation with 93.53% percent average on game rankings. The Orange Box, Bioshock, Call of Duty 4 and Gears of War all beat that. Still, Halo's a pretty strong series.
Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts
Killzone doesn't have to kill Halo. It's a great franchise in it's own right and being better than Halo wouldn't kill it. The whole "Halo killer" title created by the media was stupid anyways. You have your Halo fans, and you have your Killzone fans. IIMO they're completely different games with completely different style of gameplay and they're hardly comparable. The only thing they really have in common is that they're FPS games. Halo being more of an arcade style shooter while Killzone being more of a tactical class based shooter...
SpArKs424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SpArKs424

[QUOTE="SpArKs424"]

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] Halo's story isn't exactly praise worthy

inb4thebooksexcuse.

jg4xchamp

Killzone 2 was still pretty much in the thousands(hell it still is, the hell are you getting a hundred from), and Reach's community by Halo standards has dropped off significantly already.

Third I mentioned that all the Halo's tell a weak story. Which they do. The story telling in all of em(well maybe not Combat Evolved) is piss poor, and the plots they do tell are either unfocused(Halo 2) or just end on such a weak note(Halo 3, Reach, ODST). Let's not even get into the stupid retcon Bungie has done in their own games.

over a 100 k everyday so its still fine . i get the 200 from the last time i logged on to KZ2 2 weeks ago game has failed at all standards besides graphics which is the only selling point of the game . KZ2 had floaty controls and weak story Multiplayer was ok but got boring and offered noting i couldnt do in Halo or Battlefield . and if i want pretty Grapahics ill play CRYSIS on my PC .8)

DonutNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DonutNerd
Member since 2011 • 173 Posts

There is no winner between Killzone or Halo. Just accept that they are both great games and move on.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

The concept of Killzone "killing" Halo is an invalid one. Killzone and Halo are on different consoles. Hence, they do not compete with one another.

TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
Who ever thought it would kill Halo other than some fanboys. Its a good series in its own right but no way it can kill Halo.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

iAtrocious

Halo's not killing itself. It's still the best console shooter, a real shame it's 360 exclusive.

Well Halo Wars sucked something bad, and that wasn't by Bungie. We've never seen a game from 343, that's true. Historically once a franchies leaves the original developers, it kind of goes downhill fast. I'm happy to hear Microsoft isn't pushing Halo each year, but I'm worried that the new guys just don't fully understand what makes Halo unique and how to keep going on with the original gameplay philosophies that Bungie has created with Halo.

I'm fearing the series is just going to move more and more towards a Call of Duty level of gameplay.

Halo could very well kill itself. Sometimes series just need to die. Just look at Sonic.

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts

Wasdie
Can't be any truer.
Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts
If there's any game on the PS3 similar to Halo, it's Resistance 2. Killzone and Halo don't play anything alike.
fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

Wasdie

Agreed and I can see this happening with Kinect getting involved.

Halo was ment to be a trilogy and should of been capped at 3.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 vashkey

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

[QUOTE="SpArKs424"]only bad installment that wasnt even that bad was ODST and that was just a expansion . all Full halo titles have been quality and are games that last for years. If im not mistaken a year after KZ2 was released it only had around 200-300 active players still on . thats sad to have your community die within a year.

SpArKs424

over a 100 k everyday so its still fine .

Checking the Bungie website theres usually around 700k daily, just over 100k at any given time of the day. Although it's been dipping a bit lately.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

fusionhunter

Agreed and I can see this happening with Kinect getting involved.

Halo was ment to be a trilogy and should of been capped at 3.

Oh yes I completely forogot about that Kinect crap.

Microsoft is pushing that so hard. No matter what they say, their actions speak far louder than their words. I'll be money that this E3, over 70% of the Microsoft conference will be Kinect crap.

iwasgood2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 iwasgood2u
Member since 2009 • 831 Posts
Who ever thought it would kill Halo other than some fanboys. Its a good series in its own right but no way it can kill Halo. TheColbert
COD killed Halo
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
Yeah, I think that would be a fair assessment at this point. Killzone 2 was great, but the Halo series is on another level entirely.
iAtrocious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 iAtrocious
Member since 2010 • 1567 Posts

[QUOTE="iAtrocious"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

Well Halo Wars sucked something bad, and that wasn't by Bungie. We've never seen a game from 343, that's true. Historically once a franchies leaves the original developers, it kind of goes downhill fast. I'm happy to hear Microsoft isn't pushing Halo each year, but I'm worried that the new guys just don't fully understand what makes Halo unique and how to keep going on with the original gameplay philosophies that Bungie has created with Halo.

I'm fearing the series is just going to move more and more towards a Call of Duty level of gameplay.

Halo could very well kill itself. Sometimes series just need to die. Just look at Sonic.

Ok. I'd rather just wait to see what the 343 developers are going to do before I start saying their game is going to suck. Maybe the first will: adapting to the Halo universe and producing a Halo-like game isn't an easy task. But I'll wait for their second entry in the Halo franchise to see how that turns out. Halo Wars wasn't too bad: considering it was one of the first attempts at a large console RTS, scoring 8.4 isn't exactly bad. As long as Microsoft doesn't try to rush production, the game should be fine -- even if not a masterpiece.

I also don't expect them to take a turn towards Call of Duty: the CoD market is a hard one to take a bite of, they're better off just not trying.

That said, Sonic is a sad reality. The series I grew up with, in this state. Good thing it's taken a fresh breath of quality with Sonic Colors and Sonic & the Secret Rings (And even Sonic Unleashed on the Wii) -- here's to hoping they manage to get back on their feet.

id_mew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 id_mew
Member since 2007 • 608 Posts

Killzone 2 and 3 were more enjoyable than Halo 2 and 3, just sayin'. Scores don't matter anything

Sgt_Crow

This. I played every halo came, but I did have more fun plyaing Killzone 2, and Killzone 3 looks to be even better.

Killzone 3 got 8.5 on gamespot and Ign, but there's other gaming websites that it scored even higher.

Halo didn't change much with every game, well maybe until Halo Reach came out.

But every halo game felt the same.

Technically and graphically Killzone destroys Halo.

I still had a blast with Halo's multiplayer, but the single player felt repetive with every game, just wave afer wave of aliens.

SpArKs424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SpArKs424

[QUOTE="SpArKs424"]

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] Killzone 2 was still pretty much in the thousands(hell it still is, the hell are you getting a hundred from), and Reach's community by Halo standards has dropped off significantly already.

vashkey

over a 100 k everyday so its still fine .

Checking the Bungie website theres usually around 700k daily, just over 100k at any given time of the day. Although it's been dipping a bit lately.

no other game besides COD on 360 has those numbers .

BigBoss154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BigBoss154
Member since 2009 • 2956 Posts

I prefer Killzone to Halo.

My opinion > reviewers opinions.

youngmurk911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#34 youngmurk911
Member since 2004 • 3895 Posts

i've had killzone one, its not that great, but 2....and the betta for 3, i don't see how anyone could say theyre not quality games, both storys blow.....obviously, but the thing that puts halo over the top in killzone, is not the graphics at all, but the multiplayer, and the fact you can play the story co-op. that right there puts it over the top.

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
I think it is funny people expected a games exclusive to one consoles to "kill" another franchise exclusive to another console. Sales and scores don't mean much to me though I enjoyed Killzone 2 much more than Reach and especially that god awful ODST. And seeing as how much I am enjoying the beta for KZ3 I expect the same for the new Killzone (even though some of GGs new design choices piss me off).
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

[QUOTE="SpArKs424"]only bad installment that wasnt even that bad was ODST and that was just a expansion . all Full halo titles have been quality and are games that last for years. If im not mistaken a year after KZ2 was released it only had around 200-300 active players still on . thats sad to have your community die within a year.

SpArKs424

over a 100 k everyday so its still fine . i get the 200 from the last time i logged on to KZ2 2 weeks ago game has failed at all standards besides graphics which is the only selling point of the game . KZ2 had floaty controls and weak story Multiplayer was ok but got boring and offered noting i couldnt do in Halo or Battlefield . and if i want pretty Grapahics ill play CRYSIS on my PC .8)

How did it fail though? the community is still active enough to get you a full match of skirmish(whatever the hell they called that game mode with all the game modes in one match), and on a pure design standpoint it still sticks out. The cIass based system coupled with the rather good gunplay of KZ2 more than still holds up as a strong MP addition(admittedly I agree the controls aren't as responsive).

I enjoy Halo. Can't lie about that given the hours I put into it. That said the popularity of that game doesn't make up for all the stupidity that series has gone through. From it's awful story telling, to it's piss poor level design in what 4 games?, to how both 3 and Reach arguably have the worst multiplayer maps in the entire series, to the annoyance that is Armor Lock(how has this not been nerfed yet?) or the BR fest that was Halo 3, or the rather weak shooting, etc etc. Halo's only real claim to excellence is its fanbase, and critical reception. Outside of that the series has fallen short on greatness to be quite frank.

SHR3DD3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SHR3DD3D

[QUOTE="SHR3DD3D"]

-

-

iwasgood2u

also lemmings were claiming halo reach to be the next graphic king to dethrone killzone 2. too bad that never happened so lemmings went back to the scoring board and gameplay for coverup just like this thread.

Nice damage control there, buddy! You could not do better? :lol: Claiming lemmings expected Reach to kill Killzone 2 in graphics is like stating sheep expected The Conduit to destroy Crysis in graphics. Obviously, people knew Killzone 2 would have better graphics, but they focused on the more important aspects of the games--in which Killzone apparently fails, compared to Halo.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

only the first one was hyped as a halo killer (whatever that even means). when kz2 was announced, the lemmings brought the whole halo killer thing back more than the cows did (only the biggest cows and fakeboys hyped it as such again), and primarily used it to damage control after it got AAA (so what if it got AAA, it didnt kill halo, so cows=pwned). now it seems the lemmings are again bringing it back to rub the 8.5 in the faces of the cows. I didnt even see ANY halo killer talk from the cows for kz3, though there may have been and I just missed it.

they're both excellent franchises, but it seems some people in SW can't accept that there can be good games on different systems.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 vashkey

the popularity of that game doesn't make up for all the stupidity that series has gone through. From it's awful story telling, to it's piss poor level design in what 4 games?, to how both 3 and Reach arguably have the worst multiplayer maps in the entire series, to the annoyance that is Armor Lock(how has this not been nerfed yet?) or the BR fest that was Halo 3, or the rather weak shooting, etc etc. Halo's only real claim to excellence is its fanbase, and critical reception. Outside of that the series has fallen short on greatness to be quite frank.

jg4xchamp

How is the story telling awful? Granted it's not the best but it's far from awful. And the level design isn't bad either. It got a bit repetitive in some spots in Halo 1 and 3, but to say the series as a whole has bad level design based purely off of a couple repetitive missions is a bit of an exaggeration.

Honestly, whats wrong with armor lock? Whats wrong with the battle rifle being the primary weapon of use in Halo 3? It's not as if the other weapon didn't have their uses? How was the shooting weak?

SHR3DD3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SHR3DD3D

[QUOTE="Sgt_Crow"]

id_mew

This. I played every halo came, but I did have more fun plyaing Killzone 2, and Killzone 3 looks to be even better.

Killzone 3 got 8.5 on gamespot and Ign, but there's other gaming websites that it scored even higher.

I still had a blast with Halo's multiplayer, but the single player felt repetive with every game, just wave afer wave of aliens.

Killzone 3 currently holds an 86 score on MC--well below Halo standards, simply because it is not as good, polished, interesting, exciting and evolved.

Also, if every Halo game felt the same, why did all of them attain very high scores? Obviously, they did not feel the same. Otherwise, the reviewers would have noticed that, given the games a low score and commented on it, in the reviews. Oh yeah, here comes the MS bribed all the reviewers theory. :roll:

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts

[QUOTE="id_mew"]

[QUOTE="Sgt_Crow"]

SHR3DD3D

Killzone 3 currently holds an 86 score on MC--well below Halo standards, simply because it is not as good, polished, interesting, exciting and evolved.

Also, if every Halo game felt the same, why did all of them attain very high scores? Obviously, they did not feel the same. Otherwise, the reviewers would have noticed that, given the games a low score and commented on it, in the reviews. Oh yeah, here comes the MS bribed all the reviewers theory. :roll:

Well below Halo standards? ODST has an 83 on MC.

I mean if you saying every Halo attained very high scores with ODST's 83 isn't KZ3's 86 considered very high too?

fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

[QUOTE="id_mew"]

[QUOTE="Sgt_Crow"]

SHR3DD3D

How has Halo or COD evolved? They basically upped the graphics and recycled it over and over again. It's like the scores get recycled along with it.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

Killzone could barely kill Haze, let alone Halo.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

[QUOTE="SpArKs424"]

jg4xchamp

inb4thebooksexcuse.

They just stole it from the Bible. Most notably Noah's Ark.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 vashkey

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

[QUOTE="SpArKs424"]

Hatiko

inb4thebooksexcuse.

They just stole it from the Bible. Most notably Noah's Ark.

Lol yes... And Lord Hood Said unto The master Chief that thou shalt take two of every Covenant to the ark to survive the cleaning wave of teh Haloz. Thats exactly how it happened in the games, don't question me.

And the Arbiter died for all their sins, which the Gravemind was a monument of....

mejiseike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mejiseike
Member since 2011 • 530 Posts

Killzone = Halo

Killzone 2 < halo 2 (even tho it wasnt all that great)

From the looks and the demo....

Killzone 3 < Halo series

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

Killzone = Halo

Killzone 2 < halo 2 (even tho it wasnt all that great)

From the looks and the demo....

Killzone 3 < Halo series

mejiseike

Killzone was worse than Halo in all shapes in forms. For one, Halo actually had a story that was good. And WTF was up will Killzone's sniping?

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jimmypsn
Member since 2010 • 4425 Posts

Halo series 50 million copies sold.

Killzone 2 million?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] the popularity of that game doesn't make up for all the stupidity that series has gone through. From it's awful story telling, to it's piss poor level design in what 4 games?, to how both 3 and Reach arguably have the worst multiplayer maps in the entire series, to the annoyance that is Armor Lock(how has this not been nerfed yet?) or the BR fest that was Halo 3, or the rather weak shooting, etc etc. Halo's only real claim to excellence is its fanbase, and critical reception. Outside of that the series has fallen short on greatness to be quite frank.

vashkey

How is the story telling awful? Granted it's not the best but it's far from awful. And the level design isn't bad either. It got a bit repetitive in some spots in Halo 1 and 3, but to say the series as a whole has bad level design based purely off of a couple repetitive missions is a bit of an exaggeration.

Honestly, whats wrong with armor lock? Whats wrong with the battle rifle being the primary weapon of use in Halo 3? It's not as if the other weapon didn't have their uses? How was the shooting weak?

A couple? It's not just repetitive design though that is more than enough reason to hate missions like Cortana or The Library 2(Halo 2) or Data Hive(ODST). There is also the needless backtracking the series makes you go through its levels(Crow's Nest or Rat's Nest? one is the name of a map, the other is the mission). To the repetition that is fighting the flood(in general they make a level terrible. I can't think of one flood only mission that wasn't painfully boring compared to the ones against the Covenant. Which sadly make up a good chunk of Halo 2(Arbiter missions), and Halo 3(Flood, Cortana, Halo). Admittedly this is also due to the enemy choices Bungie made with making the Halo 2 brutes so dumb, and the Flood being depressingly boring in the entire series.

You would think Reach and ODST would be free of this, but. ...ODST is so small scaled, and the action in general is pretty repetitive. To the point of being mind numbing. With Reach admittedly it has none of the lows of Halo's past(no gloriously bad mission), but where are the highs? Where are the big time scarab battles? or the gigantic throw downs with the Covenant? The only respectable one was Saber mission, and even that pulled some punches(you would think the Covenant would be better fighters in SPace).

My beef with ARmor Lock is that it needs a major nerfing. YOu get a good team of armor lockers, and the other AAs become useless. Why Active Camo? you give your position away. Why Jet pack? all that helps you with is some traversing here and there, and a quick pick me up in a close quarters battle. Hell you don't really need a hologram(too easy to tell now) or Sprint(why is this even an AA?). AL has a quick cool down, it can be spammed more than the others, and it STOPS EVERYTHING!!. There is no counter to armor locking, but armor locking. I find that pansy way of playing to be incredibly boring.

As for Halo 3, the BR was just too much. It was too good. Admittedly it kept the game "balance". I found it made the general ebb and flow of the game far too repetitive. Reach(outside of my dislike for armor lock) and Halo 2 in my opinion were a little more versatile/varied if you will when playing a MP match.

How is the shooting strong? Outside of Reach they all have weak feedback, aim assist up the wazoo, floaty movement, and their "power" is gimped because of everyone being a bulletsponge. Reach's gunplay is a bit better though.I still wouldn't hold up against a shooter with great gunplay though to be frank(ala FEAR).

Story telling in the series is just weak all around. Halo 2 is just strictly unfocused. Trying to bring you in so much info on the Covenant, while doing the UNSC stuff as well, and it all falls flat the end. Three completely disregards Arbiter who was built up from 2 for no reason, and most of the campaign is going through the motions. Than there is some of the cheesy dialogue, the retcons in Reach and ODST, and the over done cliches and plot devices in the series. It also didn't help that the grand finale of the "trilogy" had you throw down with Guilty Spark of all things.