Can the Wii EVER Redeem Itslef?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ms555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 ms555
Member since 2007 • 2665 Posts

the Wii, to many but not to all, is not necesarily terrible or fantastic but a dissapointment..... It gave people lots of hopes and dreams with its original concepts but when it came down to business it did not live to the expectations. I can even say as a former Wii owner that the system is not utterly horrible but it needs alot of work. I had hopes of playing the perfect star wars game, or the most immersive shooter game, but it never happened. Games like SSBB and SMG still kept me happy, but it couldnt last forever. I have no regrets selling the system to get a 360.

Do you think it is possible for the system to REALISTICALLY redeem itself. BE REALISITIC PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Could you ever gain interest in it again??

Let us be honest, when the system first came out alot of us were very pumped, and our first run on Wii Sports was a blast. Dont lie, you know it was fun! The dissapointment came gradually, when the five star game releases became lacking and the wiggle gimmick became obvious. I dont think Wii Plus is going to solve all its problems, just one or two. I dont even think fixing up the developers' attitudes is all. It wont be easy. It may never even be done. But i have hope Nintndo will be smart about this, or their future business profitsare at great risk. The bigger they get the harder they fall. The audience Nintendo has stuk its guns with is not a long lasting one! Old people must die, little kids must grow up, and parents will find life affairs become more important than video gmes. This brief success of the Wii will not last and the video gamers, the ones that will always be there, wont be there this time to cushion Nintendo's fall. What do you think?

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

Yes it can. Needs more devs support though.

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

The Wii doesn't need to redeem itself in my eyes and guess what? MY eyes are the only eyes that matter to ME.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
redeem from what? It doesn't have to. I was never pumped for it, I got bashed when it was the sensation over It won't be as good as the other systems though...
lazzordude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 lazzordude
Member since 2003 • 6685 Posts

whats wrong with it? its my favorite console of this gen, and it looks like its best year is on its way.

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

the wii does not need to be. Its the best console selling console . Hard core gamers need to stop crying and buy some thing . Just cus it was not made for hard core does not mean its bad.

RawDeal_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RawDeal_basic
Member since 2002 • 1959 Posts

Nintendo is too busy counting their money to care what you think.

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts
To be honest, its done what I figured it'd do. It has some strong exclusives, but they are few and far between. Similar to the Gamecube. That being said, I'm very much looking forward to Metroid Other M. Possibly my second most anticipated game this year.
ms555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ms555
Member since 2007 • 2665 Posts
redeem from what? It doesn't have to. I was never pumped for it, I got bashed when it was the sensation over It won't be as good as the other systems though...Giancar
that may be to you, but to many the Wii was actually very promising..... if the Wii wants to revive from the sudden plummet in quality (that is debatable, i know) they need to do something, not just keep going the way things are. It is possible to become that sensation all over again if they just try
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
It seems fine when you buy more than a few games.
shoryuken_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 shoryuken_
Member since 2009 • 3420 Posts

If it gets to level 30, it can learn the Paladin skill, Redemption.

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

1. The Wii doesn't need redemption.

2. If you think it does, 2010 is the answer.

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
redeem itself from being the fastest selling console in history?
Avatar image for Arbiterisl33t69
Arbiterisl33t69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Arbiterisl33t69
Member since 2009 • 2542 Posts

the wii does not need to be. Its the best console selling console . Hard core gamers need to stop crying and buy some thing . Just cus it was not made for hard core does not mean its bad.

dontshackzmii
No such thing as hardcore gamers.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Nope, at this point everyone has already made their minds. I like it, the haters hate it, nothing will change.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Satoru Iwata is sitting at his desk pondering what can he do to redeem the Wii to the people on System Wars....hmmm....ponders for 5 minutes then realizes the Wii sold another 10,000 units in that time frame...goes back to counting the stack of 10,000 yen bills on his desk.

DaViD_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaViD_99
Member since 2007 • 2496 Posts
Well I enjoy it more then my 360 so there is your answer...
Megaman5364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Megaman5364
Member since 2009 • 2912 Posts

Um.. Reedeem itsself from what, PS3, PC and Xbox fanboys will never experience classics like Metroid, Zelda, Muramasa and Zack and Wiki to name a few, Gameplay > Graphics

EddieBGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 EddieBGreen
Member since 2009 • 239 Posts

For me it is the Mainstream Industry that needs to redeem itself. The Wii is a great living room gamers system that draws a whole bunch of people in. I keep finding bizarre and fun games for it. l4d2 is my favourite PC game and I have decided on a forced break. Playing the Munchables at the moment. Save the planet by eating aliens. Cute but kind of sick at the same time. And cost me a tenner.

I am not sure the massive sales, huge production costs model can last. The future of gaming lies somewhere between Nintendo, Apple and Valve.

St_muscat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 St_muscat
Member since 2007 • 4315 Posts

1. The Wii doesn't need redemption.

2. If you think it does, 2010 is the answer.

awssk8er716

Bingo.

Avatar image for Arbiterisl33t69
Arbiterisl33t69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Arbiterisl33t69
Member since 2009 • 2542 Posts

Um.. Reedeem itsself from what, PS3, PC and Xbox fanboys will never experience classics like Metroid, Zelda, Muramasa and Zack and Wiki to name a few, Gameplay > Graphics

Megaman5364
Only the top multi-plats/exclusives for those 3 platforms have BOTH gameplay and graphics. And Zack and Wiki shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with Metroid Zelda and Muramasa.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fc30280b8881
deactivated-5fc30280b8881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5fc30280b8881
Member since 2005 • 446 Posts

the Wii, to many but not to all, is not necesarily terrible or fantastic but a dissapointment..... It gave people lots of hopes and dreams with its original concepts but when it came down to business it did not live to the expectations. I can even say as a former Wii owner that the system is not utterly horrible but it needs alot of work. I had hopes of playing the perfect star wars game, or the most immersive shooter game, but it never happened. Games like SSBB and SMG still kept me happy, but it couldnt last forever. I have no regrets selling the system to get a 360.

Do you think it is possible for the system to REALISTICALLY redeem itself. BE REALISITIC PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Could you ever gain interest in it again??

Let us be honest, when the system first came out alot of us were very pumped, and our first run on Wii Sports was a blast. Dont lie, you know it was fun! The dissapointment came gradually, when the five star game releases became lacking and the wiggle gimmick became obvious. I dont think Wii Plus is going to solve all its problems, just one or two. I dont even think fixing up the developers' attitudes is all. It wont be easy. It may never even be done. But i have hope Nintndo will be smart about this, or their future business profitsare at great risk. The bigger they get the harder they fall. The audience Nintendo has stuk its guns with is not a long lasting one! Old people must die, little kids must grow up, and parents will find life affairs become more important than video gmes. This brief success of the Wii will not last and the video gamers, the ones that will always be there, wont be there this time to cushion Nintendo's fall. What do you think?

ms555

Redeem itself? From what? Nintendo's Finnish importer's incompetency with their repair service? (located in a bit hard-to-reach place, open so that it's practically impossible for me to get the thing repaired). Yeah, they deserve a good scolding. Otherwise? They're the single cause I'm a console gamer anymore, so redemption sounds like a ridiculous proposition. The third parties' conduct this gen is another matter entirely.

The audience Nintendo has stuk its guns with is not a long lasting one! Old people must die, little kids must grow up, and parents will find life affairs become more important than video gmes. This brief success of the Wii will not last and the video gamers, the ones that will always be there, wont be there this time to cushion Nintendo's fall.ms555

Nintendo doesn't need people to stay. One of the cornerstones of the company's strategy is making it easy and attractive for people to start gaming. Two people get bored, three new ones come in their place, and so on. You should also understand that the people who play on the Wii and the DS are, (and this is a broad generalization) interested in a different kind of software than the users of the HD Twins. Wii users tend to have money, but not time. They prefer software that's used in short bursts, whether for connecting with and enchaning your real life (Brain Age, Wii Fit, etc.) or immersing yourself in a fictional world for a while (Mario titles, for example).

It's the Xbox and the Playstation that are in trouble. Thus far, gaming expansion has been driven by population growth and multiple console ownership. Now Europe and Japan are facing population decline, and people's interest in traditional gaming systems is declining. In short: More and more "core" gamers leave the market, less and less new ones come in.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#24 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

i don't know if it can, but nothing is imposible

WolfBlackRiver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 WolfBlackRiver
Member since 2009 • 250 Posts

when i purchased the Wii i owned a PS3 and a PC, even though the Wii was graphically challanged compared to PS3,360, and PCs, it still was able to make beautiful games aslong as they werent try to push limits to create any realism like the next gen consoles etc, for example...Zelda Twilight Princess:sure its not graphically extensive but they made it beautifully. Unfortunately it seems less games are put out by Nintendo and honestly just alot of low budget party games, and rushed lazy ports by third party devs. I play the mess out of Wii Fit with the family, and usually Fire up the PS3 for anything serious.

Wii seems better when Nintendo is heavily behind the wheel when it comes to titles, but lately they've been silent, never know what they are up to:P

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

It's a great system, with great games, if you look past all the garbage shovelware. What is there to redeem?

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
I think it's a great system, and one that sold, what, 10 million units this December in America alone? I think Nintendo is too busy swimming in their indoor lake filled with cash to care about redeeming the Wii to some losers on SW who are afraid to buy more than a few games for the Wii and then complain it has no games.
destro123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 destro123
Member since 2005 • 755 Posts

Zelda..............

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#29 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Red Steel 2.

It'll be awesome.

Gamingcucumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 Gamingcucumber
Member since 2004 • 5612 Posts
Hardcore wise? Probably not. In fact it's only just loosing respect in terms of 3rd party respect. The Wii might have been a true victim of its own success.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#31 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Hardcore wise? Probably not. In fact it's only just loosing respect in terms of 3rd party respect. The Wii might have been a true victim of its own success.Gamingcucumber

or developers not releasing main stream titles on the Wii.

grimhope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 grimhope  Online
Member since 2003 • 978 Posts

When SMG2 comes out it will. Then I'll beat it. Then I'll sell my wii.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10633 Posts

RawDeal_basic

That's why their 3rd party is laughable, their 1st party has diminished compared to last gen, and their online infrastructure is miserable, all because Nintendo is too busy counting money:lol:

gamedude234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 gamedude234
Member since 2009 • 2558 Posts

[QUOTE="RawDeal_basic"]

ermacness

That's why their 3rd party is laughable, their 1st party has diminished compared to last gen, and their online infrastructure is miserable, all because Nintendo is too busy counting money:lol:

laughable 3rd party?zack and wiki, little kings story, muramasa, monster hunter tri and tatsVScapcom say hi.

1st party has diminshed? i think we can all agree that SMG>SMS. Metroid has a little.

miserable online? play mario kart wii or even the conduit.

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts
Needs a better controller.

Old people must die, little kids must grow up, and parents will find life affairs become more important than video gmes.

ms555
:lol:
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
[QUOTE="TheGrat1"]Needs a better controller.

Old people must die, little kids must grow up, and parents will find life affairs become more important than video gmes.

ms555
:lol:

Based on the fact that both companies are moving to motion controls. It seems that the masses disagree with your opinion of the Wii control.
Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts

[QUOTE="ermacness"]

[QUOTE="RawDeal_basic"]

gamedude234

laughable 3rd party?zack and wiki, little kings story, muramasa, monster hunter tri and tatsVScapcom say hi.

1st party has diminshed? i think we can all agree that SMG>SMS. Metroid has a little.

I really wouldn't defend Nintendo's online. Compared to PC, Xbox Live, and PSN, its downright pathetic. It gets the job done for some games, but it is anything but an equal or superior online experience
VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

RawDeal_basic

^^^^THIS^^^^

CODnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CODnut
Member since 2008 • 47 Posts

I think as interesting and different as the Wii-mote motion control was in the beginning, that if the Wii came out with a basic control scheme ala (Gamecube), it might have been more respected by fans and devs.

The hardware is an improvement from the Gamecube, okay so it's about equal to or slightly better than the original Xbox hardware specs, but it is an improvement, and it has

Wi-Fi, it's completely backwards compatible with all Gamecube games, and it offers downloads from N-64, SNES, NES and Sega and NEC Turbo Grafx 16, it does have the most backwards compatibility going for it this gen.

I got my son the Wii for christmas and he's primarily a FPS fan, and as most of you know the controls for shooters on the Wii are the worst out of the 3 platforms this gen, but he's somewhat adapted to it.

However i think because of the massive sales the Wii has had the Dev's feel obligated to develop games for it, but they don't really feel passionate about developing for it because of the now awkward control scheme.

It's not the graphical inferiority of the Wii, just look at Call of Duty Modern Warfare Reflex Edition, now it's actually Call of Duty 4 Modern warfare but the controls killed the game in reviews, but graphically it was very acceptable.

So in a gaming world where FPS and third person shooters are being incorporated into genres like platformers and RPG's the Wii is suffering from it's control scheme.

VALikimlav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 VALikimlav
Member since 2010 • 324 Posts
Nintendo alienated many hardcore gamers with the Wii. I've always had a Nintendo console, but I won't be buying their next system.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5fc30280b8881

I think as interesting and different as the Wii-mote motion control was in the beginning, that if the Wii came out with a basic control scheme ala (Gamecube), it might have been more respected by fans and devs.

I got my son the Wii for christmas and he's primarily a FPS fan, and as most of you know the controls for shooters on the Wii are the worst out of the 3 platforms this gen, but he's somewhat adapted to it.

However i think because of the massive sales the Wii has had the Dev's feel obligated to develop games for it, but they don't really feel passionate about developing for it because of the now awkward control scheme.

It's not the graphical inferiority of the Wii, just look at Call of Duty Modern Warfare Reflex Edition, now it's actually Call of Duty 4 Modern warfare but the controls killed the game in reviews, but graphically it was very acceptable.

So in a gaming world where FPS and third person shooters are being incorporated into genres like platformers and RPG's the Wii is suffering from it's control scheme.CODnut

You have some grains of truth in there. The bit about devs not being enthusiastic about the Wii is dead on, but I wouldn't attribute crap controls to the Wii itself - Nintendo has shown time and again that motion control on the Wii can and will work if it's done well. I'd say it's simply the devs' lack of passion for - and the industry's widespread fear of - the Wii that results in awkward control schemes. The game industry as a whole is very oriented towards methodically producing one cinematic Michael Bay -esque action blockbuster after another, but the Wii audience's tastes are completely different and in many ways diametrically opposite to the industry. Wii customers appreciate arcade-like, no-bs experiences that can be enjoyed in short bursts. This is quite antithetical to the grandiose cinematic visions many developers have. And then there are the people who aren't looking for immersion at all, but simply enjoy software that enhances and connects with their real lives.

The industry doesn't make money on the Wii because it doesn't want to. Making money on the Wii requires placing the customer first and thinking about what they would want. The industry isn't motivated by serving the customer, it is motivated to crank out formulaic blockbusters or some weird artistic vision games few people have any interest in. On top of it all, the publishers don't advertise their Wii games. It's no wonder they don't sell. It's hard to buy crap you don't like if you don't know it exists in the first place.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

Oh man, the Wii is such a horrible console. Yeah, there may be a couple of good games, but there is no redeemtion for this, mainly, shovelware console. I wish i never bought the thing. And yes, i have tried all the so called "good" games like LKS and Zack and Wiki...and umm...they are not all that good. Everything from the horrible online "features" like friend codes, lack of support for peripherals like Wii Speak and Wii Motion Plus, the horrible third party support, lack of any real effort to make quality games that can even compare to the ps2 or original xbox generationof games. Yes its a crappy system, one of the worst ever made. Bah, the wii just sucks.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#43 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41565 Posts

[QUOTE="ermacness"]

[QUOTE="RawDeal_basic"]

gamedude234

I'd change The Conduit to Modern Warfare Reflex's online. Other than that, I agree.

qewrewq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 qewrewq
Member since 2004 • 1274 Posts

gamedude234

the third party support is laughable compared to the competition, and the fact that it's actually the market leader makes it more laughable.

and you're actually defending the online? really?

InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 InfinityMugen
Member since 2007 • 3905 Posts

For me it is the Mainstream Industry that needs to redeem itself. The Wii is a great living room gamers system that draws a whole bunch of people in. I keep finding bizarre and fun games for it. l4d2 is my favourite PC game and I have decided on a forced break. Playing the Munchables at the moment. Save the planet by eating aliens. Cute but kind of sick at the same time. And cost me a tenner.

I am not sure the massive sales, huge production costs model can last. The future of gaming lies somewhere between Nintendo, Apple and Valve.

EddieBGreen

This. When developers put their egos aside, they'll realize how important the Wii is to gaming.

punkrocker163

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 punkrocker163
Member since 2006 • 2087 Posts

Megaman5364
Gameplay&Graphics>Gameplay>Graphics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5fc30280b8881

I am not sure the massive sales, huge production costs model can last. The future of gaming lies somewhere between Nintendo, Apple and Valve.EddieBGreen

Ssh, the industry doesn't know the blockbuster model isn't wise. Keep quiet so the non-customer focused industry can destroy itself by it's own actions. Until then, we won't have a stop to the stupidity.

92GreenYJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 92GreenYJ
Member since 2006 • 482 Posts
the Wii doesn't have to redeem itself in my eyes. Its done nothing bad yet in my book. It sees more play time than my PS3 does half the time. Sure theres a lot of crap games on it, but thats due to the third party developers just slapping garbage together and pushing it out to try to cash in on the Wiis astronomical sales and mass market appeal. If anything its the third party devs that are to blame for the Wiis negative image of having tons of shovelware. Thats not to say there haven't been some great 3rd party games however. There have been many good ones, you just need to sift thru all the crap to find the gems. As for immersive shooters, I could care less. I hate the shooter genre. I wouldn't buy a game like that if it did come out. A good lightsaber fighter would be awesome though. and now with Wiimotion + I think we may be seeing that soon
BattleTurtles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BattleTurtles
Member since 2009 • 2406 Posts

Satoru Iwata is sitting at his desk pondering what can he do to redeem the Wii to the people on System Wars....hmmm....ponders for 5 minutes then realizes the Wii sold another 10,000 units in that time frame...goes back to counting the stack of 10,000 yen bills on his desk.

coasterguy65
That's only like $100
VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

So you have people b^&*(n about NINTENDO, but they stand by a crummy business like MS and their worthless junk of a console 360?? AND people are ok with SONY launching at 500-600$$ and leaving millions of their fans behind??

SO gripe about Nin. doing something different at an affordable price. Free online and dlc from as far back as the original Nin to N64. Do I play my Wii all the time? NO I dont. BUT I would rather stand behind them next gen as the RROD/YLOD, overpriced, price gouging money hungry MS/SONY.

Keep in mind I have a 360 since launch, a Wii, and im getting a PS3 in FEB. So no fanboyism here.