can the government help with these broken games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

With batman and countless other games coming out broken, is there a department that can regulate and/or punish game companies for knowingly releasing a broken product?

i think gamers have had enough. I'm not saying its going to be a video game crash like the 80's, but a quality game should be more important than pushing for deadlines.

anyone have any thoughts on the matter or know if gamers can be helped by some kind of better business burea or a consumer department ?

SamusBeliskner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 SamusBeliskner
Member since 2015 • 569 Posts

If you're in the U.S., there are plenty of consumer protection laws, all of which revolve around returning you your money. e.g. if you paid via credit, dispute the charge.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#4 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Batman is okay on my PS4.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jsmoke03

@magicalclick said:

Don't buy trash. The end.

would you know a game is a buggy mess before buying it? what if the review has an embargo?

@samusbeliskner said:

If you're in the U.S., there are plenty of consumer protection laws, all of which revolve around returning you your money. e.g. if you paid via credit, dispute the charge.

im not talking about getting a refund. I'm talking about someone that can impose rules on the video game industry for knowingly releasing bad games.

remember the nintendo quality seal? im not saying the game will be good, but crap like batman arkham origins not being patched for game breaking bugs that impedes game progress , or halo mcc having unplayable mp...those kind of things. Minor patches are fine, but these are unacceptable to consumers

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

also don't pre-order MCC was a huge wakup call for me hell i bought the console for that game

wait for some reviews and stuff

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jsmoke03

@k--m--k said:

what happens if it isnt?

as gamers, i dont think we should wait until the problems affect us

SamusBeliskner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SamusBeliskner
Member since 2015 • 569 Posts

@jsmoke03 said:
@samusbeliskner said:

im not talking about getting a refund. I'm talking about someone that can impose rules on the video game industry for knowingly releasing bad games.

remember the nintendo quality seal? im not saying the game will be good, but crap like batman arkham origins not being patched for game breaking bugs that impedes game progress , or halo mcc having unplayable mp...those kind of things. Minor patches are fine, but these are unacceptable to consumers

The Nintendo seal of quality was a sham. There were plenty of bad games released. It was all part of Nintendo way of preventing unlicensed cartridges on the system, and was in no way indicative of a game's quality.

So you want the government imposing rules on private companies who must make games to a certain standard? I don't think that would fly.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

@k--m--k said:

Drive Club, Unity, Farcry4, SFIV, Thief, Watchdogs.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts

The Ministry of Broken Dreams and Hurt Feelings. Honestly, with Steam refunds being so easy now, it's not a big issue - the studios are just wasting their own time and money releasing in this state.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jsmoke03
@samusbeliskner said:
@jsmoke03 said:
@samusbeliskner said:

The Nintendo seal of quality was a sham. There were plenty of bad games released. It was all part of Nintendo way of preventing unlicensed cartridges on the system, and was in no way indicative of a game's quality.

So you want the government imposing rules on private companies who must make games to a certain standard? I don't think that would fly.

not like quality of the game like if its good or bad in how it plays , but quality where if they release a game that has game breaking bugs, then there would be some kind of penalty for doing so. Im thinking like a fine for releasing a bug riddled game like halo mcc or arkham origins.

These devs hire qa testers for a reason right? i'm not talking about small bugs, but something that happened with arkham knight should have not been released. This is WB games second big offense.

@jimmyjammer69 said:

The Ministry of Broken Dreams and Hurt Feelings. Honestly, with Steam refunds being so easy now, it's not a big issue - the studios are just wasting their own time and money releasing in this state.

so everyone is ok with the game industry releasing buggy broken games as long as you can get a refund? wow ok, i guess i was wrong then

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Because of Youtube it will never end.

Want to know why?

<Because of this.

<A buggy game made on purpose!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

@-God- said:
@k--m--k said:

Drive Club, Unity, Farcry4, SFIV, Thief, Watchdogs.

Well we all can't be perfect God.

John_of_Rivia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 John_of_Rivia
Member since 2015 • 232 Posts

No that's a waste of tax payers money for something YOU can control. Simply put, wait to buy anything.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Never pre order anything, simple.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Steam has come closer than most with the refund policy. Nintendo does good by checking the games etc and stamping with the official seal of quality they have, other than that it a play it by ear type of thing. I only buy certain games on day 1 and ive been lucky that the games i buy dont have many problems. The last game i bought day 1 that had problems was GTA5, but i still beat the whole game in 3 days without any major issues. I never got to try the online part cause it was done and i traded the game i before the value dropped to low.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

All you have to do is buy the game a day after everyone else. And before you go and buy it browse some forums and read some reviews. If it's broken you'll find out very quickly.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jsmoke03

ok consensus is dont fix the problem as a whole industry but let the individual hope that everything gets patched soon before buying.

@john_of_rivia said:

No that's a waste of tax payers money for something YOU can control. Simply put, wait to buy anything.

i'm not asking for a new department to be set up. im asking if a department that already exist can put penalties and fines for releasing a broken product.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

@jsmoke03 said:
@samusbeliskner said:
@jsmoke03 said:
@samusbeliskner said:

not like quality of the game like if its good or bad in how it plays , but quality where if they release a game that has game breaking bugs, then there would be some kind of penalty for doing so. Im thinking like a fine for releasing a bug riddled game like halo mcc or arkham origins.

These devs hire qa testers for a reason right? i'm not talking about small bugs, but something that happened with arkham knight should have not been released. This is WB games second big offense.

@jimmyjammer69 said:

so everyone is ok with the game industry releasing buggy broken games as long as you can get a refund? wow ok, i guess i was wrong then

You want the government to impose a fine on any game developer who releases a game that has a "game breaking bug"?

Besides the legal impossibility of defining what objectively qualifies as a "game breaking bug", this would cause both game development cycles to increase in length, and massively increase in cost. Would you be willing to spend $80 for a game that has the US Department of Commerce "seal of approval"? Bethesda games would cost $100.

This would have so many negatively repercussions it is impossible to list them all. Developers would immediately decrease the ambition and scale of their games, because it would be easier/cheaper to thoroughly QA a small, heavily recycled (from previous titles) game.

If customers expect developers to keep pushing the boundaries in games with better graphics, bigger environments, more complex mechanics, etc, you have to also expect bugs to accompany them. QA teams simply can't find everything that a gaming audience of millions of people can upon release.

psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 psx_warrior
Member since 2006 • 1757 Posts
@Bruin1986 said:
@jsmoke03 said:
@samusbeliskner said:
@jsmoke03 said:
@samusbeliskner said:

@jimmyjammer69 said:

You want the government to impose a fine on any game developer who releases a game that has a "game breaking bug"?

Besides the legal impossibility of defining what objectively qualifies as a "game breaking bug", this would cause both game development cycles to increase in length, and massively increase in cost. Would you be willing to spend $80 for a game that has the US Department of Commerce "seal of approval"? Bethesda games would cost $100.

This would have so many negatively repercussions it is impossible to list them all. Developers would immediately decrease the ambition and scale of their games, because it would be easier/cheaper to thoroughly QA a small, heavily recycled (from previous titles) game.

If customers expect developers to keep pushing the boundaries in games with better graphics, bigger environments, more complex mechanics, etc, you have to also expect bugs to accompany them. QA teams simply can't find everything that a gaming audience of millions of people can upon release.

I agree with you. On top of that, they've indirectly made things hard for everybody in the gaming world because of real world inflation making it hard to try and keep costs down. I believe this is why we see so much dlc and pre-order bonuses and such. If we didn't get get the dlc and pre-order bonuses offered to us, they might as well start charging 70 or 80, maybe even 100 dollars for video games because of the rising costs. They may end up having to do that anyway eventually. I think we've been really lucky that they've been able to keep the 60 dollar price tag consistent with last and this gen, but next gen, I don't know.

Guy_Brohski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Guy_Brohski
Member since 2013 • 2221 Posts

The government is stealing our Social Security, so do you honestly think they would contribute towards getting Batman Arkham Knight PC up to console standards strictly for your enjoyment?

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

Governments should not put any restrictions to business, period.

How you are going to protect your self? simple, Do not pre-order and also wait a week before buying ANYTHING, and more importantly do your research.