Can MGS4 Work on the 360 if it was ported

• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

manystylez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 manystylez
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts

Me(cow) and my friends(lemms) were arguing about about MGS4. They said if it was ported to 360 it would look better and sell even better. Is this true?

EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts
:lol: No, it would be a HUGE downgrade if it was ported. Good thing it will never go to the 360.
Jared2720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jared2720
Member since 2007 • 2200 Posts
No.
Arsenal325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Arsenal325
Member since 2005 • 4899 Posts
no
linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts
no...it would have to be downgraded somewhat, compressed, and im really not sure how they would pull of the camo suit that snake wears on the 360...
TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 TyrantDragon55
Member since 2004 • 6851 Posts
Kojima said a while back that the game could be made on the 360, whether or not it would be better I have no idea.
Demetri_OS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Demetri_OS
Member since 2006 • 2514 Posts

:lol: No, it would be a HUGE downgrade if it was ported. Good thing it will never go to the 360.EVOLV3

And you know this because you are familiar with the 360 AND PS3 programming capabilities. On top of that, you've worked on MGS4.

Clearly, you know what you are talking about.

Sony_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Sony_92
Member since 2006 • 1030 Posts
just no
Avatar image for deactivated-5f956b96dc672
deactivated-5f956b96dc672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5f956b96dc672
Member since 2007 • 2218 Posts

it depends on how the data is on the disk. if it uses all unique data with no repitition, then no.

if it copies data all over the disk, then maybe

jharv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jharv
Member since 2007 • 1774 Posts

No.

hungryheart077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hungryheart077
Member since 2008 • 528 Posts
yes kojima confirmed that
REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts

no...it would have to be downgraded somewhat, compressed, and im really not sure how they would pull of the camo suit that snake wears on the 360...linkin_guy109

why not?

the 360 does have some pretty sexy looking games. i cant see why the game would have to go through a massive downgrade

it would have to be on a few discs though...

Latin_Psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Latin_Psycho
Member since 2008 • 124 Posts

ZOMG ARE YOU KIDDING!!!!!???? OF COURSE IT WILL WORK AND LOOK BETTER

Tykain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Tykain
Member since 2008 • 3887 Posts
It was optimised for the ps3, it would run badly on 360. And it would need a few dvds.
Shensolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shensolidus
Member since 2003 • 931 Posts

Heres a few things to tell your friends:

A) It was built from the ground up with the cell processor backing it up, something the 360 lacks. If you need evidence check out Burnout Paradise and multiply that by at least 5. Also the game takes up an entire Blu-ray dual layer disc. 50gigs. The number of DVDs would be at least 7.

B) Sell better? Most people are getting a PS3 or own a PS3 just to play MGS4. Yeah it would sell better because it would be available to more people, but also alot of more development time would have to be done just to put it on the 360, thus costing them even more money.

C) Barring a complete sales flop on the PS3, Kojima and Konami have no current intentions of porting it. Also i'm sure Sony paid Konami off to keep its exclusivety for the title. It is being bundled with PS3's afterall. It's like if Motorstorm went multiplat. Won't happen.

Just tell your friends to quit holding their breaths unless they wanna seriously hurt themselves. It isn't going to happen so if they want to play one of this years best, they had better start saving their pennies.

manystylez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 manystylez
im getting alot of mixed posts, anyone provide a link? so i can tell my friends
linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts

[QUOTE="linkin_guy109"]no...it would have to be downgraded somewhat, compressed, and im really not sure how they would pull of the camo suit that snake wears on the 360...REforever101

why not?

the 360 does have some pretty sexy looking games. i cant see why the game would have to go through a massive downgrade

it would have to be on a few discs though...

i think what i said came out wrong, what i more or less meant by the downgrade part was that it would have to be compressed a heck of a lot from the state its in now if they wanted to fit the game on 1 or 2 disks seeing as how its completely uncompressed atleast from what ive heard

whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 whocares4peace
Member since 2005 • 4971 Posts

It'll work. Every 360/Ps3 will run on the other system, given enough development time. As for the space issues,they'll just compress the files or use multiple discs.

But I dont think it'll be coming to the 360 in the near future.

blackice1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blackice1983
Member since 2006 • 2021 Posts

A) It was built from the ground up with the cell processor backing it up, something the PS3 lacks. If you need evidence check out Burnout Paradise and multiply that by at least 5.

B) Sell better? Most people are getting a PS3 or own a PS3 just to play MGS4. Yeah it would sell better because it would be available to more people, but also alot of more development time would have to be done just to put it on the 360, thus costing them even more money.

C) Barring a complete sales flop on the PS3, Kojima and Konami have no current intentions of porting it. Also i'm sure Sony paid Konami off to keep its exclusivety for the title. It is being bundled with PS3's afterall. It's like if Motorstorm went multiplat. Won't happen.

Just tell your friends to quit holding their breaths unless they wanna seriously hurt themselves. It isn't going to happen so if they want to play one of this years best, they had better start saving their pennies.

Shensolidus

c is the dumbest response ive seen all day

GazzaB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#20 GazzaB
Member since 2004 • 27139 Posts
I dont see why not. It just means they would have to use more compression. Plus it would probably be on multiple disks, but hey, you MGS fans never had a problem with that with the first MGS game.
manystylez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 manystylez

It'll work. Every 360/Ps3 will run on the other system, given enough development time. As for the space issues,they'll just compress the files or use multiple discs.

whocares4peace

so if it was ported would it sell better

manystylez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 manystylez

whocares4peace

so if it was ported would it sell better on 360 that is

Nameless-Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nameless-Hero
Member since 2007 • 360 Posts

of course it would work please dont be misinformed by silly cows on this board. i anything it would get upgraded.

Shensolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Shensolidus
[QUOTE="Shensolidus"]

A) It was built from the ground up with the cell processor backing it up, something the PS3 lacks. If you need evidence check out Burnout Paradise and multiply that by at least 5.

blackice1983

And why is that? They even said the sales goal for day 1 is 1 million copies worldwide. If the game makes its overall year sales goals (lets say its 2-3 million) why would they port it? Sony is obviously heavily invested with Konami for this title, and Sony is also footing alot of the bill on the Metal Gear movie, a deal which probably ties MGS4 as a Sony exclusive.

TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TyrantDragon55
Member since 2004 • 6851 Posts
[QUOTE="whocares4peace"]

manystylez

How should we know?

blackeneddeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 blackeneddeath
Member since 2008 • 930 Posts

well... yah it could work, but probably wouldnt be the same (too much space)...

Might want to get your friends in a reality check on things looking better for the 360, some multiplats look the same if not better for the ps3, all just comes down to the guys making the game.

Tykain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Tykain
Member since 2008 • 3887 Posts
[QUOTE="whocares4peace"]

manystylez

Doubt it. beside, if it was multi-plat it wouldn't be bundled with the ps3, which is something that will drasticaly increase its sales.

whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 whocares4peace
Member since 2005 • 4971 Posts
[QUOTE="whocares4peace"]

manystylez

Most probably no
blackeneddeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 blackeneddeath
Member since 2008 • 930 Posts
[QUOTE="whocares4peace"]

manystylez

eh... mgs2 sold terribly on the xbox... nobody knows the answer to that question though unless it actually happens(very unlikely though)

Shensolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Shensolidus
[QUOTE="whocares4peace"]

manystylez

Okay, so what your asking is if the 360 version would outsell the PS3 version should it ever happen. While it is hard to say, I am pretty confident in saying absolutely not. I'm sure it would sell, especially among gamers who want to play it but not get a PS3, but most ppl have gone and purchased PS3's or are waiting for the MGS4 bundle that comes with the game and a PS3.

Also, unless the port comes out on June 12 along side the PS3 version, the majority of people who are looking to play the game would have already purchased it on the PS3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f956b96dc672
deactivated-5f956b96dc672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5f956b96dc672
Member since 2007 • 2218 Posts
do we know if MGS4 uses repetitive data to make loads slower? or is it all unique?
Avatar image for Tragic_Kingdom7
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Tragic_Kingdom7
Member since 2008 • 4011 Posts

I dont see why not. It just means they would have to use more compression. Plus it would probably be on multiple disks, but hey, you MGS fans never had a problem with that with the first MGS game.GazzaB

^This

Shensolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Shensolidus

Yo Wingagainov, repetitive data was something developers and manufacturer's were doing earlier this generation as a means of Blu-Ray production. It is not used much anymore because it turns out those were some of the reasons that were causing PS3 multiplat titles to perform much poorer.

This was a result of what was being done to the Blu-Ray discs called DVD Dump. Basically, its the PS3 version of the game, done on DVD codecs. Since a Blu-Ray drive can read at DVD9 speeds, this was done to save time on developers on having to reformat a game to a Blu-Ray quality if the lead title was a game formatted for DVD9 (R6:V, The Darkness are some examples). Developers now have been learning how to format at natural Blu-Ray codecs. Essentially, while it isn't confirmed whether or not if MGS4 is a full BRD game (the use of a dual-layer BRD would confirm it uses non-reptitive data), the argument of a PS3 titles using repetitive data is something that will occur less and less likely.

Afterall, Blu-Ray drives read at different speeds when compared to their DVD9 cousin's. It is a matter of time and manufacturer familiarity, but Blu-Ray loading on high end PS3 titles has proved that it can read 9+ gigs of data using non-repetitive Blu-Ray data without install times to produce DVD9 quality. (R&C:FTD, Uncharted).

Vectah_Sigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Vectah_Sigma
Member since 2007 • 1104 Posts
Why would 360 fans want Metal Gear? They always say that it has nuffin on Gears.....or it looks boring......or whatever off the wall reason they can come up with for not liking this game.
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Tragic_Kingdom7

Why would 360 fans want Metal Gear? They always say that it has nuffin on Gears.....or it looks boring......or whatever off the wall reason they can come up with for not liking this game.Vectah_Sigma

Off the wall reasons? :lol:

Not everybody likes to spend hours upon hours with their hands not on the controller.

Not everybody likes the slow pace of the game.

Some people don't want to digest nano machine messages while they're gaming.

Some people don't care for the cumbersome control scheme.

These are all valid reasons.

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts
Of course, perhaps multiple discs, but it could be done.
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Tragic_Kingdom7

Basically, this thread is a rather dumb effort to make the PS3 look like it can do something that the 360 can't.

I remember one quite similar where the Wii fanboys were saying that Brawl couldn't be done on the Gamecube.

Why don't fanboys stop bragging about their system's exaggerated awesome power?

Nolan16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38 Nolan16
Member since 2006 • 4022 Posts
no it could never happen not becuase it would look worst not becuase it wouldnt have the content mostly becuase of the space issue and they made the game and completely optimized it for a blu ray disk.
NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
Absolutely not. It would be a watered-down, multi-disk disaster.
jangojay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jangojay
Member since 2007 • 4044 Posts
Yes it could. Will just have to be optimised for differenet hardware and placed on several discs.
killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts
I believe so. I haven't seen anything in the game that made me go :shock: or couldn't be done on 360. Only problem would be fitting it into DVD's.
Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Tragic_Kingdom7

Absolutely not. It would be a watered-down, multi-disk disaster.NAPK1NS

This claim seems rather baseless to me. What evidence do you have that it would be watered down? The PS3 and the 360 are relatively similar in power.

And there's nothing wrong with a multi-disc game. MGS1 proved that.

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#43 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts

[QUOTE="Vectah_Sigma"]Why would 360 fans want Metal Gear? They always say that it has nuffin on Gears.....or it looks boring......or whatever off the wall reason they can come up with for not liking this game.Tragic_Kingdom7

Not everybody likes to spend hours upon hours with their hands not on the controller.

RE the long cutscenes, here's my response: link

Slow pace of the game? Have you seen the gameplay footage?

RE codec calls, players no longer have the option of initiating them.

RE the control scheme--it's entirely revamped.

Seems like the reasons you listed are a little outdated :wink:

NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts

[QUOTE="NAPK1NS"]Absolutely not. It would be a watered-down, multi-disk disaster.Tragic_Kingdom7

This claim seems rather baseless to me. What evidence do you have that it would be watered down? The PS3 and the 360 are relatively similar in power.

And there's nothing wrong with a multi-disc game. MGS1 proved that.

The game uses uncompressed audio files, that's how the game sounds so crisp. For the sake of space, it's a possibility that the files would be compressed. I have no problem with a multi-disk game, I prefer a single disk game, though.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

Why do people say no and then also say it would be downgraded. Doesn't that sort of counter what you said, being downgraded or not, your just answered it.

Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Tragic_Kingdom7
[QUOTE="Tragic_Kingdom7"]

[QUOTE="Vectah_Sigma"]Why would 360 fans want Metal Gear? They always say that it has nuffin on Gears.....or it looks boring......or whatever off the wall reason they can come up with for not liking this game.fuzzysquash

RE the long cutscenes, here's my response: link

Slow pace of the game? Have you seen the gameplay footage?

RE codec calls, players no longer have the option of initiating them.

RE the control scheme--it's entirely revamped.

Seems like the reasons you listed are a little outdated :wink:

You kind of missed the point. I wasn't saying that some of the problems haven't been fixed, I'm saying that some people are just turned off by the nature of the game. The poster I was responding to was trying to act like one has to dumb themselves not to like it. That's just pure arrogance.

And despite the fact that the series has been revolutionary as far as integrating story into a game, some people want to be in the driver seat the entire game.

Also, MGS4 looks more fast-paced that the other games in the series, but it still doesn't look that fast at all. The pace looks more or less the same.

Listen, I'm a MGS fan, I just realize that some people don't like it for very valid reasons. I'm tired of MGS fans trying to belittle those who don't have such a glowing view of the series.

Also, I'm tired of MGS fans calling this game perfect before they've even played it.

girlpowerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 girlpowerz
Member since 2008 • 492 Posts
No.
naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
no if it was it would be on 8 discs
girlpowerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 girlpowerz
Member since 2008 • 492 Posts
[QUOTE="Shensolidus"]

blackice1983

And why is that dumb? He made a valid point.

Tragic_Kingdom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Tragic_Kingdom7
Why don't you nay-sayers actually a) support your claim and b) give a reason as to why multiple discs is a bad thing.